Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

law abiding rapist posted:

It handles like a slightly heavier long wheelbase Impreza. It really isn't that heavy even though it is bigger since it's mostly empty space, only ~3000 lb. The Legacy handles better than the Outback since it is lighter by ~200 lb and is lower. Expect the usual amount of Subaru understeer though. Steering feel is the same as a contemporary Impreza and is actually quite nice, it has good feedback and feels solid.

It makes a really excellent highway cruiser as long as you don't mind listening to music, short gearing means at 70mph the engine will be at 3000RPM already. It tracks really well and is pretty comfortable.

Really you have to ask yourself how much poo poo you need to carry.

Thanks for the input!

As far as carrying stuff, two kids, two dogs, motorcycle stuff plus trailer, multiple mountain bikes etc. At some point it's probably going to go to France with 4-5 people's snowboarding poo poo, groceries, clothing and random crap. My E30 touring can do that, loaded to the gunnels, but I bet the Impreza wagon wouldn't.

I can feel the 100kg the Impreza classic has over the E30 around roundabouts, but that said, as long as the Legacy turns in and steers OK and has the same sort of grip level, it sounds like it's a decent compromise.

I can deal with noise on the highway. The E30 is revving ~4100 rpm at 80, so it will be a slight improvement if anything.

I guess the Legacies will stay on the shortlist then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mark Kidd
Feb 15, 2006
Thanks in large part to this thread, I widened my net for potential vehicles and just bought this 98 Subaru Legacy Outback - http://lexington.craigslist.org/cto/2779654755.html

Seems like it needs rear bearings replaced and still has it's original head gasket so I'm looking forward to keeping up with this thread while I get it into shape.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah, our local dealerships don't even have it (they have Motul or I think Castrol). I have no idea why, and most of their service writers don't even know of its existence when I mention it. I really want to try it out.

Someone who figured out how to import it into Canada could probably make a few bucks. Who wants to dig a tunnel under the border?

e: Fred Beans used to say it's the stock fill in 2010+ STIs but have changed their description.

I live on the border with Michigan. I could just drive over with the Mazda5 and load the rear end end of it.

If I buy less than about $250 at a time, I can usually sneak through without paying duty :dance:

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Sockington posted:

I live on the border with Michigan. I could just drive over with the Mazda5 and load the rear end end of it.

If I buy less than about $250 at a time, I can usually sneak through without paying duty :dance:

It's totally worth it. It's made a huge difference in transmission feel and the smoothness of shifts, especially when it's cold.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Bud Manstrong posted:

It's totally worth it. It's made a huge difference in transmission feel and the smoothness of shifts, especially when it's cold.

I have an automatic, so no good for me :3:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Sockington posted:

Yeah, I'm near Montana. Apparently Fred Beans will ship the quart bottles but they want UPS (at $97) to do so; sort of weird. I guess I'll have to put an entire 5ga drum in the back of my car. :)

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Bud Manstrong posted:

Has anyone tried it it a non-subaru transmission? The shifter in my echo is about as notchy as a transmission can get. It currently has whatever that redline trans oil is in it, mt90? I dunno, redline is literally in the next town over from me and I've never liked their products.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think you can probably find a better fit for a regular manual transmission.

Here's the issue with subaru transmissions. They need to use an oil with high pressure additives because of the hypoid gear that makes up the front differential. Those additives tend to hurt the effectiveness of synchros.

That's why things like "uncle scotty's cocktail" were so popular. They were mixing a gear oil build for hypoid gearsets with an oil that was specifically make to improve synchro function.

Extra S gives the same result but in an oil that was spec'd to be 100% compatible with the transmission. There's been some indication that "uncle scotty's cocktail" may actually cause long term transmission issues due to a chemical interaction between the mixture and various metals in the transmission.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
How much is this 2003 WRX worth? I am considering buying it for a swap into my 99 RS project.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
Welp, got a couple of oil drips on the floor under my 2007 Forester, and it looks the head gaskets are seeping. drat, I thought this was more-or-less fixed. I haven't taken off the undertray to get a good look, but I can definitely see oily-ness around the driver's side HG.

It looks like the SOHC head gaskets can be changed without engine removal. T/F? If true, is it a terrible idea? I have small hands...

The coolant is still there and I don't smell any combustion products in the reservior, so it seems like I'm OK on the inside for now. Maybe I can just get lazy until summer and put in a 10W30 oil?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

daslog posted:

How much is this 2003 WRX worth? I am considering buying it for a swap into my 99 RS project.

I would love to hear the backstory on that car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

JayKay posted:

I would love to hear the backstory on that car.
It's probably a rollover (note that the B-pillar bar did its job here). The broken ball joint/front suspension parts on the passenger side probably means that a curb was involved at some point.

There was a doozy of a 2010 WRX posted to a semi-local salvage auction, I wish I had saved the pictures. The spare tire cover was ejected through the hatchback glass and the entire car must have been about a foot shorter on each end.

I dunno how much I'd really offer for that '03 and the opaque exhaust smoke isn't reassuring me about the quality of the engine (maybe it's just cold). What are they asking? Is the front diff ok?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
Salvage motor from a yard is roughly $2k with a warranty. I'd say offer him 3k to start.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

It's probably a rollover (note that the B-pillar bar did its job here). The broken ball joint/front suspension parts on the passenger side probably means that a curb was involved at some point.

There was a doozy of a 2010 WRX posted to a semi-local salvage auction, I wish I had saved the pictures. The spare tire cover was ejected through the hatchback glass and the entire car must have been about a foot shorter on each end.

I dunno how much I'd really offer for that '03 and the opaque exhaust smoke isn't reassuring me about the quality of the engine (maybe it's just cold). What are they asking? Is the front diff ok?

It is cold here this time of day, and it's on Craig's list as a part out car. I'm thinking abut just buying the whole thing. No idea on asking price or the front diff.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

http://y2kimports.com/

You can use these guys as a high ballpark price. If it did rollover, I'd definitely listen to the motor running. Being upside down ain't so good for them while they are running.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
Im most of the way through parting out an '03 wrx wagon that was a side impact. I would have sold the entire car for $3.5k. So far, I've made $5150 from the car and I still have probably $1k worth of parts to sell

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

c355n4 posted:

Being upside down ain't so good for them while they are running.
Isn't there a switch in the motor to turn it off if the car is upside down? I thought I read that somewhere.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Isn't there a switch in the motor to turn it off if the car is upside down? I thought I read that somewhere.

It's in the fuel filler pipe

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Learn something new everday!

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
This is an oil analysis of my GL. Pretty happy with it, all seems to be fine :D

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z314/987687/89%20GL/blackstoneGL.png

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
What oil are you running? Is the GL an old enough motor to require ZDDP oil?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

What oil are you running? Is the GL an old enough motor to require ZDDP oil?

I'm running napa oil. It has one of the OHV motors out of an early 80's car.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
So my dumb rear end somehow managed to mess up the jazzy aux mod on my 05 lgt. The aux in itself works fine, but the CD player no longer works. When the car first starts, I can hear the CD player motor working, but nothing happens after that. Pressing the button to change from radio to CD doesn't have any effect (LCD doesn't ever change to CD).

Any ideas about what I could have done and how to fix it?

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
Hey guys, I bought a used exedy 14lb flywheel and 'stage 1' clutch for my swapped 2.5rs. I bought them with the understanding that there were no defects or heat damage to the flywheel.

The back of the flywheel has some blue discoloration

There's no discoloration on the clutch surface but it looks like this

The clutch pressure plate surface

The clutch disc has a small ding (lower right in pic) on it from shipping that I didn't think was worrisome. The clutch is supposed to have ~10k miles on it and there's about 1.8mm of clutch material before it gets down to the rivets, which I think is pretty close to new.

Is that heat damage to the flywheel? The blue discoloration and marks on the clutch surface look like it to me.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

dyne posted:

Is that heat damage to the flywheel? The blue discoloration and marks on the clutch surface look like it to me.

Yes.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
Bah, I just looked at it again and found a .5x.5mm area of tiny cracks in the clutch surface.

Is it worth trying to use? Im doing the work myself so Id only be out time and the (not-huge) cost of the flywheel (which I may be out already if the seller is a douche) if I have to change it out again.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

dyne posted:

Hey guys, I bought a used exedy 14lb flywheel and 'stage 1' clutch for my swapped 2.5rs. I bought them with the understanding that there were no defects or heat damage to the flywheel.

The clutch disc has a small ding (lower right in pic) on it from shipping that I didn't think was worrisome. The clutch is supposed to have ~10k miles on it and there's about 1.8mm of clutch material before it gets down to the rivets, which I think is pretty close to new.

I was in almost the same boat. I have ~200 miles on my new to me exedy stage one and stage one lightweight flywheel. I also had a very small nicks from shipping, it has been ok so far without problems. Mine had a similar "advertised mileage". The exedy lightweight flywheel has made mine more likely to stall by a lot, though this is on a wrx. Make sure to let it re learn its idle when you go to start it. My PP and flywheel has some discoloration on the surface/hard spots. The surface of your flywheel looks somewhat chattery, more so than mine did. Mine had a hot spot or two on the flywheel but not on the PP.

The clutch looks to have substantial life on it. I used overall clutch thickness with my digital caliper to gauge life. Supposedly this had 9,000 miles on it. It had about 64% life left assuming 6mm thickness as out of spec and 7.8mm as original thickness spec.

For the flywheel: If you can get it resurfaced and balanced locally it may be like $70 and be worth it. If not I would try to sand or stone or if you have a lapping table (or a friend with a machine ship) try that to see if theres any high spots. It may be ok as is.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
Changing the diff and gear box oil with motul was the best thing I have ever done for my 4EATSS, the car was torque binding, rough shifting, and felt like poo poo all day. the subaru dealership suggested I rebuild the transmission, the local Subaru tuners adviced changing the oil (looked ok) to Motul gear oil and Motul ATF, we also cleaned the oil pan filter and replaced the ATF filter with a new Subaru OEM one)... the difference is night and day, everyday the car feels smoother and I can now sell with the confidence, shifts are quick and you can barely feel them.

I'm going to buy a Legacy GT 2006 with 50,000 miles, also selling the Lancia Delta and buying an FD. Good times!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

dyne posted:

OKay, first I would consider putting that back in the car IF it came of mine. But I would in absolutly NO WAY ever pick up second hand flywheel / clutch components. It is not worth the risk

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Cat Terrist posted:

OKay, first I would consider putting that back in the car IF it came of mine. But I would in absolutly NO WAY ever pick up second hand flywheel / clutch components. It is not worth the risk

It seems to me that the only people who replace this stuff before it completely breaks are people who beat on their cars.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I'm currently running steelies & snows, but I'm starting to think about getting stuff situated for spring. I'm down to 3 non-trashed OEM 17's, one trashed one, and four tires that need replacing.

I had a bead on a set of 2011 WRX wheels with tires, but all the research I did indicated they'd rub with the stock 235/45/17's at that offset, so best case to make those work I'd have to replace the tires and that blows my budget up. I was hoping to be able to just throw them on and get wheels + summer tires for the price of just replacing tires, but I don't think it's to be.

So, I have a replacement OEM 17 inbound from RockAuto, and I need to start thinking about tires. I've been using GRM's feature on WRX wagon tuning as kind of a bible, and they ended up putting 225/45/17's on their OEM wheels when they went to summers, vs the 215/45/17's that are stock. Would going to 225's make any appreciable difference?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It did for me in my '06 wagon. I went from the 215/45/17 stock RE92s to 225/45/17 Hankook Ventus RS3 mounted on 17x7 UK17s last summer.

It's not the world's best comparison because the OEM-spec RE92 is a really dismal tire (they get slimy with even a small amount of heat into the tire, and the sidewalls are weak). The wider RS3s made the car feel slightly more planted going straight with the stock damping and stock-like springs. Grip is way better under braking and acceleration, obviously, and mid-corner corrections were actually possible instead of just making the car plow, slide off the line and hit cones. I could run a lower tire pressure than I needed to with the RE92 as well, which made the car feel better but not in a way I can describe. They got even better with the upgraded suspension at the end of the summer.

Some tires (like the aforementioned RS3) are only available in 225 as well, which is what precipitated my decision.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 8, 2012

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

TWiNKiE posted:

Why not get the 3.6R? The power distribution in the 3.6R is more sport-oriented, and the engine is within 10 HP and 10 ft-lb of the WRX.

The stick shift is my one non-negotiable feature this round of car buying.

The more I think about it, putting me in a WRX is just going to mean lots of speeding tickets and expensive tires. I can tack a bunch of lights and goofy crap onto the outback and really have fun without redlining every gear.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

So Wrar and i spent the weekend taking my wagon to stage 2.

Not too hard, but the bolts aq motorsports put on the up-pipe were about half an inch too long to let the dp attach to the turbo. WTF? We realized there was a problem when i went to put the gasket on for the turbo to dp and it wouldn't clear the bolts.

We had to get in there with an angle grinder and dremel to cut the tops off these bolts. Pain. In. The. rear end.

All done and all re-flashed. 3rd gear pull says 209HP and 238ft/lbs at the wheels with spooling starting around 2.5k. Sounds nice with a full 3" catless, now you can really hear the turbo spool

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Safety Dance posted:

The stick shift is my one non-negotiable feature this round of car buying.
I'm the same way. For me, Manual Transmission and AWD are the only non-negotiable requirements in a car. I love my Subaru, but I was looking at a few other candidates and I'm disappointed by the very low number of cars that meet this criteria.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I learned something valuable today: When the choice of parts is between a 30 dollar part and a 270 dollar part- buy the 270 dollar one, the 30 dollar one is a tease that will not work. Time to go order another throttle position sensor.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
I've arranged to buy a 2000 2.0 Sport wagon. The seller has put some classic (5-spoke) turbo rims on it, which I gather should be 16x7.

From a handling perspective, is there a consensus on the best wheel size to start with for a stock or mostly-stock chassis? Am I better off selling/swapping for the original NA cars' 15" (x6 or 6.5?) rims, or keeping the 16s?

The NA EJ20 in the Sport-spec cars only makes 122-124 hp, so there is no loving way the 16x7 is needed for traction, but certain cars prefer certain sizes. E.g. my current E30 touring handles best on the factory sport option 15x7, no matter what engine is in it.

I'd really like to ditch the 16s - it's a lot of extra money for rubber. I've been able to keep the BMW in 15" T1Rs and KU31s for £30-40 a corner - that would probably double for 16s.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'd probably weigh both and keep whatever's lighter. These cars respond very poorly to unsprung weight. :)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
depends what you're doing with the car. for on-road performance a 16x7 with a 225 will work a lot better than a 15x6 with high profile 195s. Plus those wheels give you room for wrx brakes.

if you're rally-xing and daily driving and care more about comfort I guess just go with the cheaper, smaller wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Saga posted:

I've arranged to buy a 2000 2.0 Sport wagon. The seller has put some classic (5-spoke) turbo rims on it, which I gather should be 16x7.

From a handling perspective, is there a consensus on the best wheel size to start with for a stock or mostly-stock chassis? Am I better off selling/swapping for the original NA cars' 15" (x6 or 6.5?) rims, or keeping the 16s?

The NA EJ20 in the Sport-spec cars only makes 122-124 hp, so there is no loving way the 16x7 is needed for traction, but certain cars prefer certain sizes. E.g. my current E30 touring handles best on the factory sport option 15x7, no matter what engine is in it.

I'd really like to ditch the 16s - it's a lot of extra money for rubber. I've been able to keep the BMW in 15" T1Rs and KU31s for £30-40 a corner - that would probably double for 16s.

On my NA 2.5RS, I went from the stock 16x7s to 15x7s specifically due to tire choice and cost. I found it was easier and cheaper to find good 225s in 15". It also helps that that tire size is popular with miatas. Oh, and if you get the right 15x7s you can fit WRX (4/2 pot) brakes without an issue.