Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug

Mr Darcy posted:

I'm not good at music. But if it's Star Wars then the most likely suspect would be this track:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJPooQ4Tl2U

from Return of the Jedi

Thanks for trying, but that's not it. The one I'm thinking of is much quieter. There's no action happening, it's the lull before something big goes down, and the music is playing softly and building the tension.

That said, I'm almost positive it's a John Williams piece. I listened to that whole track you linked and while it wasn't the right one, I loved every second of it. Makes you want to get up and go have an adventure :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Ok here it goes. A black guy invents a new, bulletproof liquid that he puts on a blanket or something and becomes a superhero (Blanketman?). I saw it when I was little and I totally forgot the title, and googling the plot details have gotten me nowhere.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Peven Stan posted:

Ok here it goes. A black guy invents a new, bulletproof liquid that he puts on a blanket or something and becomes a superhero (Blanketman?). I saw it when I was little and I totally forgot the title, and googling the plot details have gotten me nowhere.

Could it be Blankman?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Could it be Blankman?
D'oh. So close and yet so far

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Does anybody remember a martial arts film about a punch that could stop the heart? And the main character saw his dad do the punch but stop short of killing the man, but the man was so oblivious that he kept fighting after. Then later in life, the son learns that move and stop himself from killing someone? There also might be a part where the protagonist has a disciple and the disciple tells him that he was harassed by the leader of another dojo so the protagonist challenges him to a fight and kills him, later it turns out the leader of the dojo was innocent or something. (Might be two different films I'm mixing up, not sure.)

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

This one comes courtesy of my roommate: Matthew Perry appears in the movie, he's wearing a Northwestern shirt at one point, and there's a plot/subplot where he's trying to convince people he's not gay.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Lpzie posted:

Does anybody remember a martial arts film about a punch that could stop the heart? And the main character saw his dad do the punch but stop short of killing the man, but the man was so oblivious that he kept fighting after. Then later in life, the son learns that move and stop himself from killing someone? There also might be a part where the protagonist has a disciple and the disciple tells him that he was harassed by the leader of another dojo so the protagonist challenges him to a fight and kills him, later it turns out the leader of the dojo was innocent or something. (Might be two different films I'm mixing up, not sure.)

This is Fearless, starring Jet Li.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Power of Pecota posted:

This one comes courtesy of my roommate: Matthew Perry appears in the movie, he's wearing a Northwestern shirt at one point, and there's a plot/subplot where he's trying to convince people he's not gay.

This is Three to Tango, starring Matthe-never mind.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Thanks for the speedy response! The way he explained it I thought Perry was playing a bit part or something.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

This was a movie that I saw in a random internet stream a few years ago. It was animated, in a psuedo-anime style, sort of reminiscent of Dead Leaves, although IIRC the streamer said it was either Russian or Korean in origin (I know those are two very different options, but I honestly can't recall which it was). I believe it was dubbed in english, but I may be misremembering that, perhaps it was only subbed.

The movie was set sometime in the future where, for some reason (fuel?) feces was a hot commodity. Everyone had toilets that plugged into some system somewhere and if you fed them enough poo poo they'd dispense a candy bar for you. But the candy bars contained cocaine or something, so they were super addictive, and people started fighting over control of the poop so they could get the bars. The main characters were criminals who were literally organizing a poo poo-heist.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Funkmaster General posted:

The movie was set sometime in the future where, for some reason (fuel?) feces was a hot commodity. Everyone had toilets that plugged into some system somewhere and if you fed them enough poo poo they'd dispense a candy bar for you. But the candy bars contained cocaine or something, so they were super addictive, and people started fighting over control of the poop so they could get the bars. The main characters were criminals who were literally organizing a poo poo-heist.

:stare:

Jesus Christ.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Funkmaster General posted:

The main characters were criminals who were literally organizing a poo poo-heist.
That was Aachi and Ssipak, and it was fantastic.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
That movie comes up every dozen or so pages and I still can't believe any part of it. Gonna see if I can netflix it.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Skyscraper posted:

That was Aachi and Ssipak, and it was fantastic.

Yes, that was it, thank you.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
Im searching for a film I believe was released sometime in the last 5 years or so, the storyline is a pretty typical science fiction getup involving a colony of humans on either the moon or mars being terrorised by alien beings of some assortment. Id describe them but I dont think you actually get a proper look at them throughout the entire movie.

I remember everything would go really cold anytime an alien was nearby and it was far more tense than action packed. It was also subtitled so its not a british or american production. Sorry I cant be any more help, thanks in advance for whoever gets it!

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!

BORK! BORK! posted:

Im searching for a film I believe was released sometime in the last 5 years or so, the storyline is a pretty typical science fiction getup involving a colony of humans on either the moon or mars being terrorised by alien beings of some assortment. Id describe them but I dont think you actually get a proper look at them throughout the entire movie.

I remember everything would go really cold anytime an alien was nearby and it was far more tense than action packed. It was also subtitled so its not a british or american production. Sorry I cant be any more help, thanks in advance for whoever gets it!

It could possibly be The Dark Hour:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0484273/

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=LRVs7vIyoso

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

zombieman posted:

The character names automatically make me think this must be a thoroughly awful movie, much worse than a 6.1/10

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

zombieman posted:

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=LRVs7vIyoso

Spot on dude! Thanks a heap, id have had no chance without you! :cheers:

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Ok, a friend is telling me about a movie, probably late 80s or early 90s.

He says there's a guy with autism who eats Whoppers candy and wears pajamas. The cops are chasing him, maybe? At some point there's a plane about to crash and he somehow stops it with superhuman electric powers.

This sounds totally insane, but he maintains that it exists. Help us.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Mentally disabled guy with super powers makes me think Powder, but I don't remember any pajamas.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

ALFbrot posted:

Ok, a friend is telling me about a movie, probably late 80s or early 90s.

He says there's a guy with autism who eats Whoppers candy and wears pajamas. The cops are chasing him, maybe? At some point there's a plane about to crash and he somehow stops it with superhuman electric powers.

This sounds totally insane, but he maintains that it exists. Help us.
Second Sight.

fredor
Apr 10, 2007
I first saw this early 90's but I assume it MUCH older.
Some sort of cartoon that takes place in the forest(I think) where there is no voice acting but the voices are made with instruments like oboes and flutes. There are no words but the tones are reflected in the notes that are played on the instruments.
I would be so delighted to watch this again if anyone knows.

Larch Tote
Mar 10, 2007

...in the world.

fredor posted:

I first saw this early 90's but I assume it MUCH older.
Some sort of cartoon that takes place in the forest(I think) where there is no voice acting but the voices are made with instruments like oboes and flutes. There are no words but the tones are reflected in the notes that are played on the instruments.
I would be so delighted to watch this again if anyone knows.

Your description sounds like a variation on Peter and the Wolf. There are a number of animated versions, including a short Disney film from 1946: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038836/

fredor
Apr 10, 2007

Larch Tote posted:

Your description sounds like a variation on Peter and the Wolf. There are a number of animated versions, including a short Disney film from 1946: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038836/

Wow nailed it! I didn't remember there were voiceovers but I definitely remember the grandpa roll and all that. Thanks!

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004
First things first, I have to thank everyone in this thread and the GBS equivalent who's brought up Unico in the Island of Magic; for over twenty years I've had this memory of a little girl being chased through a giant bluish labyrinth by a wheeled yellow trojan horse. Apparently that was a confusion of ideas, or maybe just a nightmare I had after seeing this goofy Bobcat Goldthwait son of a bitch. It seems I'm also exceedingly lazy, since only a minute of Googling led me right to that title. I suppose I'd never bothered to look very hard before.

My request today, however, is proving more bothersome, and though I've dug now through thirty pages each at the head and tail of both threads, I've yet to see anyone else mention this. My apologies if I've just skimmed past it.

I saw something on US TV some time from the late 80s through 1996 (I'm fairly confident it was no later than that year). It could have been a movie, miniseries, or TV show for all I can remember. English language, shot in color, looked kind of cheap, may have been a comedy. I think the characters had American or Canadian accents, but I wouldn't rule out UK/Australian productions categorically after so long not having seen it.

The plot as I can recall involved a fake alien abduction. For some reason, a character had to be fooled into thinking he was being taken by extraterrestrials, and part of this involved his transport to another location. The "spaceship" used to accomplish this was a silver/white construction about the size of a car, shaped like either an egg or a teardrop, that was loaded onto a flatbed tractor trailer, which was then seen driving along a road while said character and a couple of "aliens" inside bounced along.

There was also a scene inside a suburban home, with two or three of the pretend aliens at the top of a staircase, and someone down below with a prop weapon he thinks is real. He shoots at an alien who, playing along, throws himself down the stairs.

My parents had been watching this, I think, and I came into the room partway through. I remember one of them telling me the name was "[something] Men" (or Man). I thought "Repo Men" initially, but nothing I've looked up with similar names includes the fake aliens thing. There's "Real Men", with Jim Belushi and John Ritter, which has aliens and the suburbs, but again, no fake abduction. I may have mixed up the name of that movie with the content of the one I'm searching for, so don't put too much faith in my memory of the title.

There was a TV show, "F/X: The Series", featuring a special effects expert who used his knowledge to solve crimes by fooling suspects into believing whatever he needed them to. I've never knowingly watched it, but the first season episode "White Light" sounded perfect, as per episode descriptions. Unfortunately, I can't find any source from which to confirm that it's what I want. Amazon's got the first season box set for thirty-five bucks, but I can't say this bothers me quite enough to justify that. The two films the series spun off of, from their IMDB descriptions and what I've seen of them, feature nothing like what I'm describing.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? I've been drawing a blank for years now, and as you might imagine trying to find information on "fake alien abduction", "fake spaceship flatbed truck", or anything similar with either Google or IMDB is difficult, even with the latter's keyword and advanced searches. If I knew any of the actors, crew, or the reason these characters need to convince this guy he's being abducted, I'd probably have better luck.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Looks like it could be this:
The Hit Man (!991)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102044/

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004
Everybody keeps saying you guys are fast, but goddamn. Remembering the details I did, but still not being able to find the film, I never expected anyone to come up with something that fast.

I'm still looking around to see if I can't find a trailer or some clips, but "The Hit Man" fits the description perfectly, thank you! And from a board member whose username I love to say! Can't ask for any more than that.

Thorbeef
Jul 24, 2007
Was watching tv late one night about 10 years ago or so.

Movie looked like it was a psychological/thriller/horror.. Most memorable part I remember is a dude in a new york loft style apparment gets a mysterious cd/tape in the mail and plays it in his awesome lookin hifi stereo system. Hears nothing at all playing and turns the sound right up to max. Still hears nothing..

Next day he finds out that his elderly neighbour lady had hung herself cause all she could hear were super demonic sounds and stuff loud as gently caress coming from the next door apartment. He starts to freak out cause he couldn't hear poo poo.

Later on he discovers a pentagram painted on his ceiling above his bed or on the floor under bed or something.. What the hell movie is this?! keen as to watch again. Cheers!

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
Was lurking unspecified boards year(s) ago and found this image

I must of seen whatever the origin of the image cause I immediately felt like I'd seen it before. It looks like movie-level stuff, so here I am to post it.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

supermegaultra posted:

Was watching tv late one night about 10 years ago or so.

Movie looked like it was a psychological/thriller/horror.. Most memorable part I remember is a dude in a new york loft style apparment gets a mysterious cd/tape in the mail and plays it in his awesome lookin hifi stereo system. Hears nothing at all playing and turns the sound right up to max. Still hears nothing..

Next day he finds out that his elderly neighbour lady had hung herself cause all she could hear were super demonic sounds and stuff loud as gently caress coming from the next door apartment. He starts to freak out cause he couldn't hear poo poo.

Later on he discovers a pentagram painted on his ceiling above his bed or on the floor under bed or something.. What the hell movie is this?! keen as to watch again. Cheers!

Lost Souls

Masa
Jun 20, 2003
Generic Newbie
I have two that I saw in school 10+ years ago that have been bugging me forever:

The first one was set in South Africa in the '30s or '40s. One of the main characters is a kid who is sent to a boarding school, and he gets bullied by a few Nazi supporting students who all pee on him at one point. I could have sworn the kid's name was "Peter Paul Kenneth Kate", but that doesn't bring up a single page on Google.

The second one is about an American family that takes in a Japanese exchange student. Due to the atomic bombings, the kid in the family wonders if the girl they take in is radioactive or glows in the dark. The movie was probably from the '70s or '80s. I'm assuming that it's a by the numbers movie where the kid and the exchange student learn to overcome their differences and become friends.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Masa posted:

I have two that I saw in school 10+ years ago that have been bugging me forever:

The first one was set in South Africa in the '30s or '40s. One of the main characters is a kid who is sent to a boarding school, and he gets bullied by a few Nazi supporting students who all pee on him at one point. I could have sworn the kid's name was "Peter Paul Kenneth Kate", but that doesn't bring up a single page on Google.

The Power of One?

That's what I got from googling south africa boarding school movies nazi

Glass Joe fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 18, 2012

Masa
Jun 20, 2003
Generic Newbie

Glass Joe posted:

The Power of One?

That's what I got from googling south africa boarding school movies nazi

I can tell that is definitely it from just the second sentence, thanks.

I was afraid of what I might see if I tried to find it by Googling 'Peeing Nazis' :cry:

Masa fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 18, 2012

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
A man and a woman meet up to have kinky sex at regular intervals. I don't think they know each other outside of those meetings, and it's never shown what exactly they do. I think they maybe end up falling for each other, or at least there's a scene where they have regular boring sex. Despite the subject matter, it was a serious drama.

Saw it on tv around 2005. They didn't speak English, but I think it might have been French or Spanish.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Admiral Goodenough posted:

A man and a woman meet up to have kinky sex at regular intervals. I don't think they know each other outside of those meetings, and it's never shown what exactly they do. I think they maybe end up falling for each other, or at least there's a scene where they have regular boring sex. Despite the subject matter, it was a serious drama.

Saw it on tv around 2005. They didn't speak English, but I think it might have been French or Spanish.
I would have said Intimacy, but that's in English.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

edit: nm, I can't read

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Runcible Cat posted:

I would have said Intimacy, but that's in English.

Well, the synopsis looks identical to what I remember, so I might have misremembered the language. I'll check it out, thanks :)

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
I asked these years ago and had no luck, but with the string of success I'm hoping someone can come through:

First movie, late 60s, more likely early 70s. Saw it on tv, a mother and her two kids live in an apartment, very dysfunctional family. The scene that stands out is that one of the boys is boiling a dead cat that he found so that he can save the skeleton (we don't see this, he tells his mother who goes batshit on him).

Second movie, same time frame, again, saw a bit of it on tv. Takes place, at least this one scene in a mansion/large house near a pond. There is a rag doll and the scene stood out because earlier in the film, the doll was smiling, and in this scene as it is left on a bed in the bedroom, it is frowning. I think it was a horror film, but not certain.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Action Jacktion posted:

Second Sight.

Wow, awesome job. My friend thanks you profusely for remembering this terrible movie for him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorbeef
Jul 24, 2007

Pweller posted:

Lost Souls

Spot fuckin on. I personally recommend you for a payrise. Thanks heaps!