Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Yessir that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Holy crap... configuring LockInfo on iOS 5 is such a headache.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?
Thanks for that link. I haven't been jailbroken in a while so it may just normally be this slow, I could have sworn it was faster. I'll turn that poo poo off and see if it speeds it up a bit.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

Bucket Joneses posted:

Holy crap... configuring LockInfo on iOS 5 is such a headache.

At least you can get LockInfo :( I'm still waiting for an A5 jailbreak.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...

bazaar apparatus posted:

At least you can get LockInfo :( I'm still waiting for an A5 jailbreak.

Me too. :hfive:

edit: In other news, has anyone tried turning off iCloud and seeing if Battery Issues go away? Seems like it did help a bunch for me. (Removing the account I mean.)

ConfusedNudeMan
Feb 20, 2004

I'm gay for Frank Dux!
Trying to clean install and jailbreak my iPhone 4 (which is already jailbroken on 4.3.3).

I recently built a new computer and had to install iTunes again (I made sure to install 64 bit running on Windows 7)

Every time I plug my phone in the USB port I get an error message in iTunes saying my iPhone can't work with iTunes because I need the 64 bit version and I need uninstall and reinstall. I've done this like 3 times now and I am installing the 64 bit version, but still the same message. I can't access my phone at all in iTunes. Any help?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
Does anyone know how to disable TruHD's ugly green-with-grey-bars message layout? Back when I had the old (4.2.3?) jailbreak, I managed to revert it back to default with another package in Winterboard, but now it seems to be more resistant.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Just got flu.x, awesome app. If you don't know what it is it's originally for PC (get it now) it adjust light levels with the time of day and just makes a soft more enjoyable glow.

Any other unknown awesome apps? I know winterboard and sbsettings but there's just so much crap on cydia.

Oh and myw

Cythrelo
Sep 21, 2006
Intensely, it liberates with the heart which shines the fortress of thee ascent

The Aphasian posted:

I've used it to get a previous version of stuff when the newer version was broken or had features taken away.

I've used it to get free apps that aren't available on the Canadian app store, like Google Voice. That's about it really.

Geraldo
May 31, 2006

I really like IntelliScreenX and how it shows on the lockscreen, but I can't find a way to turn off the ability to open and play with stuff when the phone is locked. Really bugging me.

GhostSeven
Apr 23, 2005

Yesterday Was A Million Years Ago
I know MacThemes is listed in the original post but I am wondering what other sites people use for finding winterboard themes or more relevantly for my case Lockscreen themes, especially if the site(s) are listing if items are iOS5 compatible.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

I just updated to 5.0.1 and jailbroke, and I'm trying to get all my cydia apps back. Having some problems.

I had an app called PhotoMail that let me add photos to e-mails just by holding my finger down and pressing a little + sign that showed up. I re-downloaded it, but it's not working. Does anyone know if it works with 5.0.1, and if not, is there a replacement?

Also is there a tweak that lets me change my keyboard? I had a tweak called 5 row keyboard that added an additional row to the keyboard with punctuation and stuff like that.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

aherdofpenguins posted:

I just updated to 5.0.1 and jailbroke, and I'm trying to get all my cydia apps back. Having some problems.

I had an app called PhotoMail that let me add photos to e-mails just by holding my finger down and pressing a little + sign that showed up. I re-downloaded it, but it's not working. Does anyone know if it works with 5.0.1, and if not, is there a replacement?

Also is there a tweak that lets me change my keyboard? I had a tweak called 5 row keyboard that added an additional row to the keyboard with punctuation and stuff like that.

There's a different keyboard tweak for every iOS version, practically. The new iOS 5 one is called iKeyWi, and is a paid app. It's also got some performance issues, on my phone at least.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Installed and jailbroke ios 5.0.1 on my iphone 3gs yesterday and my god is it slow! At any given point the best available memory I can get out of it is roughly 50-60 MB with all the ios 5 background tasks running. In comparison ios 4.2.1 which is what I was previously running left me with around 155MB available memory for running other programs which worked out awesome. Time to see what I can do to trim that initial 100MB of background tasks down to make it run smoother.

keykey fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 6, 2012

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

GhostSeven posted:

I know MacThemes is listed in the original post but I am wondering what other sites people use for finding winterboard themes or more relevantly for my case Lockscreen themes, especially if the site(s) are listing if items are iOS5 compatible.

I go to a site called digitalvanity.me, it's pretty decent. The guy that runs it scours all kinds of places and finds some decent looking stuff. He posts it with a link to where he got it, so you can get whatever theme it may be.

http://www.iconpaper.org is also good, they don't update too often, but if you find something you like, you can probably track it down on MacThemes to see if it's updated. Most themes from iOS 4.3 will work on 5.

Modmyi.com forums have a big section for themes, but just like MacThemes, you'll have to move through the garbage to get to something decent.

PunkRockTuba fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 6, 2012

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

keykey posted:

Installed and jailbroke ios 5.0.1 on my iphone 3gs yesterday and my god is it slow! At any given point the best available memory I can get out of it is roughly 50-60 MB with all the ios 5 background tasks running. In comparison ios 4.2.1 which is what I was previously running left me with around 155MB available memory for running other programs which worked out awesome. Time to see what I can do to trim that initial 100MB of background tasks down to make it run smoother.

Install KillBackground and close stuff more often. If you keep > 50 Megs free at all times, you shouldn't have any performance issues.

iOS 5.0.x isn't that much more demanding than iOS 4.3.x was.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I apologize if this is obvious but Lockinfo is only displaying one SMS at a time. I have biteSMS and 4.3.5 installed. What's the method of changing that?

SENORsankyPANKY
Nov 27, 2007
The gods of hacking are teaming up avengers style for a5 devices, please god make this happen

http://pod2g-ios.blogspot.com/

mewse
May 2, 2006

SENORsankyPANKY posted:

The gods of hacking are teaming up avengers style for a5 devices, please god make this happen

http://pod2g-ios.blogspot.com/

This doesn't sound hopeful to me. When pod2g tweeted that he hoped to have a 4S jailbreak out in a week, I thought that they had found an exploit and they were just going to package it up all nice to get it out, but they don't have an exploit yet, just the jailbreak that assembles itself after you're able to execute code on the device (ie. developer account).

So who knows how long it's going to take them to find the exploit to actually crack open the 4S for the public. Some day we're gonna have to start loving around with mod chips in these drat phones..

SENORsankyPANKY
Nov 27, 2007
Uggghhh. I remember the old days of getting an xecuter for my Xbox. Bullshit. Have they modded the 360 yet so that you can load games off a hdd?

Anyways, keeping my fingers crossed, maybe I'll hit the PayPal button

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

mewse posted:

Some day we're gonna have to start loving around with mod chips in these drat phones..

We just won't buy them.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Appachai posted:

We just won't buy them.
Yet 99% of their customers still will. :(

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
How many absolutely essential jailbreak features are there except for the "don't pay for apps" feature? I'm all for a 4S jailbreak whenever it becomes available for various tweaks to the user experience, but I can't honestly imagine donating to jailbreak development or freaking out and ditching the phone over it.

EDIT: Ehh I'm speaking purely from a phone standpoint. There might be more reason to jailbreak on an iPad.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
Someone mentioned that the APTicket is what I need to hold on to now instead of the SHSH if I want to install a version of iOS that Apple is no longer signing. From what I have read, iFaith, redsn0w, and TinyUmbrella all have the ability to save this now, but no such feature seems to exist in any of them when I try the latest version of each.

Are APTickets automatically saved alongside (or inside) my SHSH blobs in each respective program or do I need to do something special? Searching the internet for the answer to this has been absolutely no help. This page, for instance, claims iFaith has the ability to do this, and directly above that sentence is a screenshot of that program with no such option. Nowhere on the page are there step-by-step instructions on how to save the APTicket specifically, and that is pretty typical of all the search results I ran across.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 7, 2012

mewse
May 2, 2006

coldplay chiptunes posted:

How many absolutely essential jailbreak features are there except for the "don't pay for apps" feature? I'm all for a 4S jailbreak whenever it becomes available for various tweaks to the user experience, but I can't honestly imagine donating to jailbreak development or freaking out and ditching the phone over it.

EDIT: Ehh I'm speaking purely from a phone standpoint. There might be more reason to jailbreak on an iPad.

if you don't care, you don't care. i want to jailbreak simply for barrel, which i paid for and love despite the fact it's a minor graphic tweak. i also want to tinker with homebrew without paying the $99 dev fee. i'm also simply philosophically opposed to locking my property away from me.

when they lock it down to the point that it needs a hardware hack, i'll probably drop it also.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Download anything, any size, despite being on 3G. E-SSENT-IAL!

Integrating more good notifications into the Notifications screen is also desired.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Is it possible to change the alert noise by app? Some apps have different sounds already, but I'd like to be able to tweak all of them.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

MyWi and Fake Location are essential for me.

MyWi because it is bullshit to be forced to pay for a 2nd data plan; Fake Location so I can watch games on MLB At Bat that would otherwise be blacked out in my area (keeps me sane when I am on the road).

The other various tweaks are great, but those are the only two that would make consider switching to a different phone if they were not available on my iPhone.

Carlton Banks fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 7, 2012

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

BiteSMS is also another one of those apps that is essential. Especially the new update and how they've tied it into the new notification system. It is so much better than the default sms app.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

In decreasing order of importance:
  • MyWi/TetherMe. I'd pay $AT&T whatever they want a month for "legal" tethering ($30?) but I'd have to give up my grandfathered unlimited data plan to do so :(
  • My3G/3gUnrestrictor for downloading 20MB+ apps and facetimeing on 3g.
  • SBSettings/BSSettings for instant access to brightness/wifi/whatever
  • NavigateFromMaps to make a maps (or Siri) found place become the destination in Navigon or TomTom. Maps still doesn't do turn-by-turn.
  • DataDeposit to back up saves from apps/games that don't play nice with the iCloud.
  • FolderEnhancer/Infinifolders for faster and unlimited folders
  • Gridlock to put icons where I want them, even with spaces between them
  • Iconoclasm/Shrink to change the size of icons and number of rows/columns of icons
  • UserAgentFaker for making mobile safari look like whatever browser as needed
  • So I can test my xcode apps on my own phone (not an emulator) without paying the $99 annual developer fee
They're not absolutely essential and I'm not freaking out (or I'd just mothball my 4s and grab a 4 for now) but I want them and I did donate €10 to pod2g because, why not? It's loving €10 what are you poor or something ;)

aherdofpenguins posted:

I don't see either of those in the goon jailbreak compatibility list but maybe once you figure it out you might make an entry?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

In the ~30 months of being an iOS user, I've never once had any pirated app on any of my devices.
I've gladly purchased many apps off Cydia, and even donated (multiple times) to developers that didn't charge for their apps.

"don't pay for apps" isn't even something I'd consider. Why I do like are the fun things I can do with my phone when I do jailbreak.
MyWi - A WiFi hotspot for when I travel. I'd lose my unlimited plan if I did this through AT&T.
Barrel - Awesome screen transitions.
BytaFont - Change the OS fonts (I'm quite fond of the "Ubuntu" font).
CleanStatus - Get rid of that "AT&T" logo.
SBSettings - Quick access to Brightness, WiFi toggle, etc.
KillBackground - Quickly end apps so my 3GS never slows down.
3G Unrestrictor - So I can download apps 5 Mbps 3G instead of being forced to use public/open WiFi at 1 Mbps when I'm out somewhere.
DataDeposit - So I can back up and restore individual game saves.
iBlacklist - Call block! No more calls from telemarketers or people trying to get money my ex-wife owes them.
Phone/SMS GV Extensions - Route some or all of my calls and text messages through my Google Voice number.

Now, the lack of any of those wouldn't give me enough reason to switch to Android. I've gone a few months without those on my 4S, but they are very nice to have.

I'm surprised Apple hasn't snatched up the Barrel developer yet.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Native Google Voice integration is something I'll NEVER see on the iPhone so The GV Extensions are absolutely essential to me and the first loving thing I'll install when I can jailbreak this 4S.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Wait, you can't download []any[] file larger than 20mb over the 3g connection? What happens if you want to download a podcast at work for your commute?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

tofes posted:

Wait, you can't download []any[] file larger than 20mb over the 3g connection? What happens if you want to download a podcast at work for your commute?

It says "gently caress you, connect to WiFi" ... which is perfect, especially if you have an "UNLIMITED" data plan and get 10+ Mbps downloads over AT&T 3G, and the only WiFi you have access to are crowded ~1 Mbps poo poo connections (guest WiFi at a coffee shop, cheap DSL, etc).

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Is there a way to hide the "edit, clear, delete" or toggle them somehow through maybe sbsettings? I'm not going to have my laptop for a couple months and the other day I accidentally deleted a playlist so it's a little scary how easy it is to do.

Also, is there a way to sort playlists through the ipod? Sometimes I sync with playlists sorted in a weird way and then I can't change it from my iPod.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Xenomorph pretty much nailed my list as well, so I'm not going to do a huge re-post of that. However, my main thing is having 'total' control of my phone. Yes, I know not all jailbreak tweaks play with each other and I'm fine with that. Its like a Windows PC, right? I've restored to stock iOS plenty of times and realize that things just run smoother, IMO.

Apple/Steve wanted a device that Joan Soccermom could use and make sure nothing would mess up and be the easiest to use, not something techie nerds like goons would want to jailbreak/root. That's simply not Apple. Hell, Steve didn't even want to allow user-created apps on the iPhone at first. But, in doing so, it alienates people like those in this thread, albeit small, who enjoy tweaking things like their phones/PCs/tablets/etc.

That's my reason for jailbreaking. :)

waesa
Aug 6, 2002

4.2.1 jailbroken iPhone 4 here. Trying to go to 5.0.1.
When I try to restore I keep getting error 1611. Some quick research says this is a hardware error, but there's nothing wrong with this phone and I have no idea what the issue might be.

I've tried restoring with different versions of iTunes, different USB ports, in DFU mode, different ISPWs, etc. I'm at a loss. Does anyone have any suggestions?

waesa fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 7, 2012

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

loving Infinifolders. That's the king of jailbreak apps right there.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Vertigus posted:

loving Infinifolders. That's the king of jailbreak apps right there.

That and biteSMS are the two reasons I jailbreak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I remember some jailbreaker dev nerd saying not to upgrade to 5.0.1 but is that still reasonable advice for a 4s? I'm tired of seeing that (1) badge on settings.

• Locked thread