Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Yeah, personally i play so i can unlock more cool clothing, more primitives for the designer etc. Too bad G1 hasnt added anything at all since release.

I also wish they would stop shoving crazy poo poo onto ARMAS, buying power never ends well in free to play "MMO"s.

Basically, more content and less pay for power please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
There is little to no pay for power, in my opinion. The only gun that isn't curb stomped by a normal counterpart is the Colby Shotgun.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Well as far as i know the whisper is basically better than a normal OCA in every way unless its a 3slotter, same with the shotgun and the NTEC. I saw a comparison chart between the armas weapons and their in-game counterparts and all the armas weapons had a longer effective range and better recoil control in addition to their special modification.

Its not a huge boost, but sometimes a slight advantage is all it takes.

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

You should have a little more faith in your captain.
I think the customization is the only thing that keeps me in this game.

If only I could change the lens shape…

Captain Swing fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 7, 2012

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Captain Swing posted:

Dammit, you guys all have the coolest characters! All I could come up with is a 5' tall monkey woman in brown shorts, a brown halter top and a shotgun.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

MrLonghair posted:

http://i.imgur.com/7RwfX.jpg

That's truly disturbing and you need to play like that all the time.

Captain Swing posted:

http://i.imgur.com/rtURa.jpg

Set bowel disruptor to fatal intestinal maelstrom!

Raxmus
Jul 7, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

AgentJR posted:

I can see people playing this for the gameplay, as it has progressed lightyears since RTW's days, but I think the real staying power is in character customization. It gives people a stronger connection to their textured 3d models than any amount of weapons and cash can.

I can't tell if you're intentionally trolling here or not. Did you play 1.3.5? Did you play before gamersfirst started re-releasing old content for monetization? Did you play before the extremely low TTK made luck of the draw on latency the determining factor in APB combat? Did you play before $60 guns ruled the game? Did you play before dumptruck raiding was removed? Did you play before the game was only $10/month with unlimited access to customization? Did you play before LTL wasn't completely useless in a team environment? Did you play before chase mechanics were completely removed? Did you play before recoil was removed in favor of scroll wheels? Did you play before the HVR became completely useless? Did you play before the Joker became the RTW beta Ntec? Did you play before concussive grenades were completely nerfed so that CQC weaponry had no counter? Did you play before gamersfirst introduced magical weapons that don't make players appear on radar? Did you play before you couldn't sell in-game items for subscription time?

The list goes on... I still play APB because I hang onto the shreds of RTW's great game. Gamersfirst has completely taken everything that made APB unique, challenging, and interesting and took a big fat dump on it sadly. Just look at SWTOR, the fact of the matter is that the majority of people want the game thing over and over. Some more examples: the fast food chain subway, cable news channels, breakfast cereals, coffee, OEM computers like dell/hp, etc. :tinfoil:

I don't want to live in this world anymore, and nuAPB reminds me of why. :shepicide:

Raxmus fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 7, 2012

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Can't say I disagree, while they have taken care of a lot of bad stuff, they have also tried to fix what wasn't broken in many cases, weapon balance for one thing, freescroll/Macro Obeya/Joker and your only threats are distance, explosive weapons and OCA, and what LTL is like.

Characters now only have two outfit slots and my dick can out-run the Vaquero but when I get to have fun, most likely with the HVR at any range from toe to toe to beyond visual range, I have an amazing time, even if it's against a clan of great gold players giving a helluva challenge. It's one of the best third person action experiences to be had online, and I've played the current HD console games of that kind online.

It's just getting far too samey with all the broken busted missions they removed, the broken busted missions they did not remove, the Colby PayToWin shotgun hitting from 80m away (tested, confirmed), what life is like trying to level up or afford single bullets when not Premium and all the new bugs their code introduces.

Oh well.

"RACING DISTRICT COMING SOON" :unsmith:

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Looking at the unused mods on the apb db website, and it appears there's a car surfer mod, but the creator is Armas Underground. All the other ones are Reloaded Productions. Looks like they're gonna force us to buy car surfer :(

Also this happened to me today

At first my ego approved of this, then my mind woke up and said "Wait a minute, I hate fighting against golds!" and so I found a newbie and adopted him as my own, and played with him for hours and hours. I think I'm safely back in the silver for now!

Edit: Apparently the next live patch is on tuesday. I hope it's got new features as well as just bug fixes and whatnot!

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Reason #1 car surfing would break the game: Stand on the hood of a Rapier/Jericho with a rocket launcher. Be uncatchable.

Reason #1 car surfing would own: P5/N5 drivebys with a rocket launcher.

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010

Great Beer posted:

Reason #1 car surfing would break the game: Stand on the hood of a Rapier/Jericho with a rocket launcher. Be uncatchable.

Reason #1 car surfing would own: P5/N5 drivebys with a rocket launcher.

rocket launcher? This would be perfect for an alig

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
roof surfer would be gimmicky at best. People can already roof surf with most guns, and they can get back in the car for safety as an added bonus.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I approve of car surfing as long as you can have at least one person on the hood and one holding on to the rear as well for maximum PARTYBUS potential

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.
Can someone invite oidsnake(OIdSnake if caps matters) to Something Lawful? I've never really played Enforcer seriously (LTL griefing rules) even after getting to rank 100 on Crim.

Also I tried the whole mousewheel+Joker thing, but I didn't feel a serious increase. Do you need Cooling Jacket 3 to notice or something?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Phraggah posted:

Also I tried the whole mousewheel+Joker thing, but I didn't feel a serious increase. Do you need Cooling Jacket 3 to notice or something?

It only really works with a free spinning scroll wheel, one that you can disable the brakes on such as the M500 from Logitech for example. It sends signals a few factors faster than spinning a manual clicky scroll wheel like a mad man.

Also works with Obeya weapons. If I were to build a machine to click my mouse button as fast as a simple swift scroll of my M500 sends signals, it would not work, because the mouse buttons are subject to anti-turbo measures in the code, and I am a very fast clicker.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
it's not hard to shoot the joker at max/near max speed without using mwheel or a macro, so unless you're inept at clicking you probably won't notice much of a difference.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Phraggah posted:

Can someone invite oidsnake(OIdSnake if caps matters) to Something Lawful? I've never really played Enforcer seriously (LTL griefing rules) even after getting to rank 100 on Crim.

Add the peeps in the OP to your friends list, then message them once you see them online. I'm gone for the next week, so try someone else.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Secret Sweater posted:

it's not hard to shoot the joker at max/near max speed without using mwheel or a macro, so unless you're inept at clicking you probably won't notice much of a difference.

Yeah. It's not hard to figure out the 'optimal click speed' for the Joker. It changes depending on your level of Cooling Jacket, but you eventually get a hang of it.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I've only just started playing but this is the guy I use. Badass Grandpa

I really want that baseball cap and maybe some kind of old beat up raincoat to complete his hobo war vet look.

First time I joined the financial zone it paired me with some guy, but I thought that meant I was versus him. I immediately started driving around trying to run him over and kill him. I got him once. then when it said I was a team killer I went, "Oooohh.. poo poo" but by then the damage was done and he thought I was a griefer, every time I re spawned he hunted me down and murdered me. Sorry guy.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Put him in a shirt and make him fat and you are playing George Lucas

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

You should have a little more faith in your captain.

Goofballs posted:

Put him in a shirt and make him fat and you are playing George Lucas

Don't forget to make a t-shirt with "Blue Harvest" on it.

AgentJR
Jun 5, 2011

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Raxmus posted:

I can't tell if you're intentionally trolling here or not. Did you play 1.3.5? Did you play before gamersfirst started re-releasing old content for monetization? Did you... :argh:

Keep in mind this is all my personal experience, and I haven't been around for most of the events you mentioned. I played during the RTW open beta, then again when it was first released under G1, and just started again recently. I call this iteration the best (for myself) because it's the one that hasn't made me quit after a few weeks.

keeb
Sep 24, 2003
The Shocker

less than three posted:

Trip Report:

Using the old RTW game shaders increases FPS by a decent amount, looks nicer too.

However the devs have been quiet on if it's allowed or not. Use at your own risk. Bypass the launcher by opening APB.exe directly for best effect.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/qtjbr4

Does your screen go black for a second when cars explode or randomly when you crash your car? Because it does for me after I installed this. Other than that though it's wonderful, I got a 25% increase in performance and it doesn't feel like I'm on acid when I'm playing anymore!

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
I gained a bit of a performance boost using those shaders but drat i feel like im at a disadvantage due to the sheer darkness in alleyways/buildings at night. Its literally pitch black and i keep running into walls constantly.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

keeb posted:

Does your screen go black for a second when cars explode or randomly when you crash your car? Because it does for me after I installed this. Other than that though it's wonderful, I got a 25% increase in performance and it doesn't feel like I'm on acid when I'm playing anymore!

Yeah, I get that effect with explosions too.

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:
I doubt there are many people here keeping up with banned players but wasn't HELLOK1TTY banned for botting/exploiting at some point? Her and her crew was out 'sploiting again tonight, I decided to add her as a friend to track her and she goes offline and comes back like every 15 minutes. :raise:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

An Unoriginal Name posted:

I doubt there are many people here keeping up with banned players but wasn't HELLOK1TTY banned for botting/exploiting at some point? Her and her crew was out 'sploiting again tonight, I decided to add her as a friend to track her and she goes offline and comes back like every 15 minutes. :raise:

Yeah. I remember. She's back? What's her name.

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:

less than three posted:

Yeah. I remember. She's back? What's her name.

Same as in my post. I can't remember if she spelled it different before she was banned but I definitely remember her bullshittery under the similar name.

KingGiddra
Jan 8, 2012
I was a pretty regular APB player for awhile after G1 took over and I can say I had a bit of fun in it until hacks took over the game. Recently though, I got Saint's Row 3 during the Steam sale and every second I play it I feel that if Volition took it upon themselves to craft their own APB we could see something truly great.

Also I logged in recently and all of my lore emails were deleted. Now how am I going to be the loremaster on the APB wiki?

herr
Jan 19, 2009
Been taking a break from my enforcer siriustar and playing a lot on my newish criminal, MarathonRunner.

I was going to screen him running down a street, but my textures look like poo poo in-game.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
clan event:
http://youtu.be/SImy61UssKg

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
I don't normally rage at videogames but this game makes me angrier than just about anything else on the planet. I either go 15-0 or 0-15. I just don't get it.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

Secret Sweater posted:

roof surfer would be gimmicky at best. People can already roof surf with most guns, and they can get back in the car for safety as an added bonus.

Look at how wrong you are.

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.

Brother Scrotum posted:

I don't normally rage at videogames but this game makes me angrier than just about anything else on the planet. I either go 15-0 or 0-15. I just don't get it.

Trick to beating the game: don't let it upset you.

Seriously, the more you let it the less good you will be and the less fun it gets.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

Donny posted:

Look at how wrong you are.

:allears:

The overwhelming majority of combat is fought outside of vehicle chases. If that alone isn't reason enough to not take it, you're taking it to use a weapon that isn't usable from a window, since having the ability to get back inside usurps the used character slot to be stuck on a roof vulnerable. So since you're taking the mod, you're probably using a weapon that can't be fired from a window unless you're just dumb. So you're probably using an LMG, an OSMAW or a sniper rifle/shotty. The last one would be laughable, the osmaw/LMGs would get poo poo on by anybody rocking an obeya, obir or n-tec from their window. On top of someone being able to swap to one of the above weapons to completely shut down your gimmick, they wouldn't be gimping themselves for the other 90% of the mission combat where they aren't riding on the roof of a vehicle.

I'd love to hear your thought process, though.

Secret Sweater fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jan 8, 2012

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

I wonder if with the car surfer mod people will still be able to deploy an ammo thing.. or better yet, if they stand on the back of a car with MSU... Actually you can't use MSU while the car is moving so that wouldn't be an option. Otherwise someone would just get infinite rockets.

Personally I wanna get a car surf mod so I can ride in the back of pickup trucks with an ALIG.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Secret Sweater posted:

:allears:

The overwhelming majority of combat is fought outside of vehicle chases. If that alone isn't reason enough to not take it, you're taking it to use a weapon that isn't usable from a window, since having the ability to get back inside usurps the used character slot to be stuck on a roof vulnerable. So since you're taking the mod, you're probably using a weapon that can't be fired from a window unless you're just dumb. So you're probably using an LMG, an OSMAW or a sniper rifle/shotty. The last one would be laughable, the osmaw/LMGs would get poo poo on by anybody rocking an obeya, obir or n-tec from their window. On top of someone being able to swap to one of the above weapons to completely shut down your gimmick, they wouldn't be gimping themselves for the other 90% of the mission combat where they aren't riding on the roof of a vehicle.

I'd love to hear your thought process, though.

Any VIP mission. Have the VIP stand on the car with a rocket or LMG. Car is no longer slowed down, enemies get destroyed if they get near you.

e; And even if they manage to get VIP's standing on cars to slow them down you could still have a second car driving alongside with the aforementioned weapons screening anything that gets close with far more firepower than plinking with a single NTEC out the window.

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!
I thought if you drove with someone ontop of your car they just slid off :confused:

EDIT: Oh car surfing mod derp. That's new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

Great Beer posted:

Any VIP mission. Have the VIP stand on the car with a rocket or LMG. Car is no longer slowed down, enemies get destroyed if they get near you.

e; And even if they manage to get VIP's standing on cars to slow them down you could still have a second car driving alongside with the aforementioned weapons screening anything that gets close with far more firepower than plinking with a single NTEC out the window.

show me a vip standing on a car, and I'll show you someone intercepting them with an osmaw and ruining their day. And if you don't have an osmaw, a passenger with an obeya would rip an exposed LMG standing on a roof like a retard in seconds.

also if you're in a car as a VIP, you want them driving so they don't die when they get shot up.

Of course, I'm speaking purely from a competitive standpoint where people doing dumb gimmicks get torn apart by someone worth their salt. This game is no different than something like HON where people theory crafted the best possible items and gave you poo poo if you used anything else. The thing is, most of the population is really bad at the game and anything can work if you're more skilled than your opponent and are able to pull it off. So whatever, run to a mailbox/ammo station while your enemy is hunting you down, swap to a different mod, then hop on a car completely exposed to any incoming fire, because it will probably work if you're fighting most silvers/bronzes.

Secret Sweater fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 8, 2012

• Locked thread