Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
What is it with "Anime"-groups and excessive/inappropriate cuddling and.. stuff? Every single time I walk past the local anime group, they are either 1) lying on tables/the floor in a heap, 2) Screaming some facepalm-worthy phrase in an open space or lastly, 3) Climbing some sort of statue/support like a fool. Is it some strange effort to stand out? Can any with inside info fill me in or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Grei Skuring posted:

What is it with "Anime"-groups and excessive/inappropriate cuddling and.. stuff? Every single time I walk past the local anime group, they are either 1) lying on tables/the floor in a heap, 2) Screaming some facepalm-worthy phrase in an open space or lastly, 3) Climbing some sort of statue/support like a fool. Is it some strange effort to stand out? Can any with inside info fill me in or something?
They're just socially awkward, lack self-awareness, and are desperate for both attention and physical contact.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

the kawaiiest posted:

lack self-awareness
Speaking of which! Recent posts have reminded me of a guy in my Japanese classes. Names have been changed to protect identities.
A little background, I wrote up a lot more of this, then had second thoughts: as far as I know this guy isn't a soulbonder or drinks his own fluids, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me. He was just a super-spergy guy in my classes that had more than his fair share of interesting takes on the world. I'll include one small story that links to "lack of self-awareness" then let the thread decide if they want to hear more stories. If this seems a little incomplete, it's because I clipped it out of its surrounding text.

...I was originally annoyed with Brian’s behavior, but he eventually came to be a curiosity for me; a train wreck that I couldn’t look away from. Here’s an isolated incident that happened after class one day to show you what I mean:

Brian shows off his extracurricular reading material
Class had ended, and most of the class had moved out of the room. A few students were milling about and I was taking some time to gather my things and casually chat to the girl sitting next to me. Brian hurriedly picks up all his things and runs full-tilt to the front of the classroom, where our older female teacher, Kanno-sensei, was preparing for the next class.

:spergin:: UHMMMM, EXCUSE ME SENSEI I HAVE A QUESTION WOULD YOU MIND ANSWERING IT
:sigh:: Yes, Marsden-san?
:spergin:: I WAS READING SOMETHING EARLIER IN JAPANESE BUT I DIDN’T UNDERSTAND THIS COMBINATION OF KANJI WOULD YOU MIND TELLING ME WHAT IT MEANS
(Her expression lightens a bit, I guess she expected something worse)
:unsmith:: Sure, just show me it and I’ll help.

At this point he proceeds to ruffle about in his backpack (whose contents resembled more of a wastepaper basket). He produces a book of manga. At this point I’m not surprised, but certainly embarrassed for everyone involved in this exchange. I’m pretty far back so I can’t make out most of the text on the cover, but it features a scantily clad girl and the English words “MAKO SEXY SYMPHONY”. This is probably something you don’t want to show to anyone, let alone your middle-aged Japanese teacher. He opens it to the relevant passage. Our teacher looks at it and fumbles for her words, mouth agape. She eventually snaps back to attention and-

:blush: Okaythat’sinnapropriatematerialdon’tbringthisupinclasseveragainIhavetogonowsayonara.
She packs her things as quickly as possible and exits the room. She has another class in this same room in less than ten minutes. Marsden begins to get huffy at this point.
:rant:: OH, FINE THEN I GUESS I’LL JUST USE A DICTIONARY THEN I WAS JUST ASKING FOR HELP SENSEI GEEZ I THOUGHT THE UNIVERSITY PAID YOU TO TEACH US

About ten other students were witness to this exchange. I think she went and hid in the ladies room until she was sure that Brian was gone. Not that doing so would stop Brian. I've seen him go into a ladies' room after someone he wanted to talk with.

Edit: Removed interest check.

Tempura Wizard fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 7, 2012

Fascinator
Jan 2, 2011

The four stages of E/N posting.
Superkittenhugs, it might help you understand why slut-shaming is wrong if you stop thinking of "slut" as a word to define people's actions. "Slut" is almost always actually used to define the public perception of women's actions, which is a very different thing. Sluttiness is all about your reputation and often has no correlation with your actual actions. I'd be willing to bet a large amount of money that a significant proportion of the girls you have thought were sluts didn't do half the things that were ascribed to them, and that you know dozens of women who have been incredibly "promiscuous" by your standards but never got the label. It is not only unfair, but morally repugnant to denigrate people based on a completely subjective set of shifting criteria based primarily on rumor.

/derail

I'm at a large academic conference right now, and last night some profs and I were drinking in a bar swapping horrifying student stories. One of the guys had a student two years ago who would draw their leopard fursona on EVERY SINGLE THING they handed in (this was a history class). We're not talking a little doodle in the upper corner, the thing actually covered up a big chunk of workspace. After a month of fursonas covering up quiz papers, the prof wrote a note on the quiz asking her to please stop drawing on class papers. When he handed the quizzes back, she burst into tears and just left the classroom. She came back to class a week later and sat quietly through the lecture, then stayed behind to tell him how much it hurt to have him "scribble" all over her "character" and how she was just trying to express herself and HOW DARE HE "oppress" her creativity???

She ended up dropping the course after he told her in no uncertain terms that this was a history class and he would no longer attempt to grade papers with leopards all over them.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Fascinator posted:

Superkittenhugs, it might help you understand why slut-shaming is wrong if you stop thinking of "slut" as a word to define people's actions. "Slut" is almost always actually used to define the public perception of women's actions, which is a very different thing. Sluttiness is all about your reputation and often has no correlation with your actual actions. I'd be willing to bet a large amount of money that a significant proportion of the girls you have thought were sluts didn't do half the things that were ascribed to them, and that you know dozens of women who have been incredibly "promiscuous" by your standards but never got the label. It is not only unfair, but morally repugnant to denigrate people based on a completely subjective set of shifting criteria based primarily on rumor.
Yeah, this. I knew someone whose angry ex-boyfriend spread rumors about her being a "slut" while she had only ever had sex with him, and only twice. It pretty much ruined all of her friendships and then I got labeled a slut just for being her friend too.

To be honest, though, even if those women were loving 20 guys a week, why is that so terrible? I mean it's their life, their decision. Doesn't mean anything about them other than the fact that they really enjoy sex, and hey, who doesn't?

I never really understood this way of thinking at all, maybe I'm just dumb or something but I never gave a crap who or how many people my friends slept with. I mean, really? Why is this even important or relevant to anything at all? It's none of anybody's business to begin with.

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:

Champignon posted:

If there’s any interest, I have more Brian stories:
Meet Marsden-san
You wouldn’t like Brian when he’s angry
Brian takes a physical approach to test taking
Brian has no concept of self
Brian puts on the charm
Brian comes over for a visit
Brian regales us with his enlightened political views
Glimpses into the life of Brian (Brian’s big night out, the guild table, and gothic lolita)

This could be interesting. Maybe start from the beginning?

Snapdragon750
Mar 7, 2007

PLEASE DISREGARD MY FAGGOT TREE

the kawaiiest posted:

To be honest, though, even if those women were loving 20 guys a week, why is that so terrible? I mean it's their life, their decision. Doesn't mean anything about them other than the fact that they really enjoy sex, and hey, who doesn't?

Well it probably means she has low standards.

Pretty sure men get accolades for lots of sex and women get shamed for it because it's harder for men to convince the opposite sex to have sex with them. A man who's had lots of sex is presumed to be really smooth at convincing the ladies into the bedroom (and it's probably true but doesn't mean he's not a jerkwad), whereas any woman who wants to have a lot of sex can basically whenever she wants to as long as her standards are low enough. She just has to go up to a guy in a bar and ask him to go to her place. Do that enough times to enough men and someone will for sure take the offer even if she's not really attractive. Not usually true for men.

I know it's unfair, but that's sort of how it is because of unchangeable natural differences between how men and women have sex, and you're not going to change people's perceptions of that by eliminating the word "slut."

grammagoulis
Jul 1, 2007
Some people in this thread really, really need to go to the feminism thread in D&D. We've debunked this bullshit about a thousand times now.

To clarify further: It's just a teensy bit weird for people to get angry about false rape accusations but feel perfectly comfortable slut-shaming, which is another thing that leads to rape victims being uncomfortable about coming forward.

grammagoulis fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 6, 2012

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Snapdragon750 posted:

A man who's had lots of sex is presumed to be really smooth at convincing the ladies into the bedroom (and it's probably true but doesn't mean he's not a jerkwad), whereas any woman who wants to have a lot of sex can basically whenever she wants to as long as her standards are low enough. She just has to go up to a guy in a bar and ask him to go to her place. Do that enough times to enough men and someone will for sure take the offer even if she's not really attractive. Not usually true for men.
Do you actually believe this?

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

grammagoulis posted:

Some people in this thread really, really need to go to the feminism thread in D&D. We've debunked this bullshit about a thousand times now.

Wow, people hold different opinions based on their personal experiences that may not be similar to yours! Seriously, let's end this "slut" derail because it has little, if anything, to do with the topic at hand. It's one thing to raise awareness about a subject, it's another to hijack a thread and derail it until it gets gassed.

Champignon posted:

:blush: Okaythat’sinnapropriatematerialdon’tbringthisupinclasseveragainIhavetogonowsayonara.
She packs her things as quickly as possible and exits the room. She has another class in this same room in less than ten minutes. Marsden begins to get huffy at this point.
:rant:: OH, FINE THEN I GUESS I’LL JUST USE A DICTIONARY THEN I WAS JUST ASKING FOR HELP SENSEI GEEZ I THOUGHT THE UNIVERSITY PAID YOU TO TEACH US

About ten other students were witness to this exchange. I think she went and hid in the ladies room until she was sure that Brian was gone. Not that doing so would stop Brian. I've seen him go into a ladies' room after someone he wanted to talk with.

Oh my gooooood that just brought back so many bad memories of my highschool japanese class I took on saturday mornings across town with a friend. During break time there'd always be the same group of girls, no matter what, standing around the cd player with their naruto opening songs playing SINGING ALONG. Word for word. Perfect pronunciation along with the lyrics even though we were all trying to learn japanese level 1. Or the guy who got waaaay too close to the female teacher's aide that was an exchange student from japan trying to learn english whenever she would have to talk to him.

When we were trying to learn how to count objects like pens, she would walk around the room and pick up people's pens and have us count along. When it came time to give them back, when she went to hand his pen back to the guy he grabbed her hand and wouldn't let go for a few seconds while staring at her face. I guess he thought it would be romantic or something, but she didn't come back after that.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
OK, Japanese culture is weird (from a Western standpoint), but people obsessed with Japanese culture (really, mostly the anime-manga part of it, and the related merchandise/music) are wayyyy weirder... why is that?

(And please, stop with the derails people; we need genuinely disturbed, obsessed people stories, not pointless bickering about unrelated matters; that's not a fascinating trainwreck of a read)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jorghnassen posted:

OK, Japanese culture is weird (from a Western standpoint), but people obsessed with Japanese culture (really, mostly the anime-manga part of it, and the related merchandise/music) are wayyyy weirder... why is that?

(And please, stop with the derails people; we need genuinely disturbed, obsessed people stories, not pointless bickering about unrelated matters; that's not a fascinating trainwreck of a read)

People who are obsessed with any culture are really weird, is the sum of it.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Jorghnassen posted:

It was discussed a couple dozen pages back by univbee and others, but the general consensus reached was that many of the themes and archetypes present in the media appeal to loners and kids who feel like outsiders. It's generalization to be sure, but many of the black and white morality distinctions and simplified, formulaic interaction between characters appeals to people who find the real world's moral shades of grey and complicated relationships difficult to grasp.

The fact that it's from the far-off Eastern lands also helps to assuage their "I'm a special snowflake, so original" part of the ego.

At least that's what I took from the discussion. It's not going to be the case everytime, but it serves as a decent explanation in the case of mega-fans of all the popular mainstream manga/anime.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
I think part of the deal is that anime/manga, like just about any other form of media, is an exaggerated view of whatever culture it's supposedly mimicking. The people who become obsessed with them then exaggerate those differences even more because it's why they view those shows in the first place.

To flip it on its head, your typical Western otaku idiot is probably just as weird as someone who lives in Japan and is obsessed with, say, soap operas and believes that's what America is actually like, just at the opposite end of the scale. Kind of like this:

Farther right = more exaggerated.

America -> Soap operas -> People obsessed with soaps*
Japan -> Anime -> Otakus

*I don't know if this group actually exists/how big it is, but hopefully it illustrates the point I'm trying to make.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Here's some relevant threads relating to crazy people obsessed with mundane things!

PYF Internet Trainwrecks includes many instances of the sort of things that pop up in this thread, among other sorts of weirdness as well. It's a catch-all for whatever hasn't had its own dedicated thread yet.

PYF Fandom Lunacy focuses more on things specific to fandoms. Soulbonders (like Denise and the others from this thread) are common.

Fandom!Secrets is a website where people post their deepest darkest secrets about their fandom activities. Most of them are horrible. This is a thread about it.

TvTropes thread. Focuses mostly on the terrible, terrible community. Soulbonding and otakus aplenty!

What's your worst experience in tabletop gaming? A compilation of horror stories from Traditional Games. A lot of the stories are just people being idiots, but there's some truly weird and disturbing ones as well.

grognards.txt is a compilation of unsourced quotes from the most wretched areas of the internet tabletop gaming community. Here you can learn just how these people think and view the world (in the narrow context of roleplaying games!)

Minority Perspectives in Gaming focuses both on perspectives, the lack thereof, and how some parts of the gaming community is terrible in every single way. And also a lot of game developers as well.

Something Awful and The Case of the Incredible Bioware Backlash. Sometimes it's not just the fans that are terrible, but the producers of entertainment as well. The :psyboom: is scattered throughout the thread, unfortunately. Bit of a slog.

Reddit is pretty great. (Hint: it's not). A collection of "insightful" posts from Reddit. A great deal are worthy of this thread.

The E/N Subforum usually has somebody in it worthy of this thread every once in a while. Look for threads with a Gold rating, or especially :stare:-worthy thread titles.

There's also been many Weekend Webs that delve into the mind of madness. Too many to list here, though.

And, because I'm a militant manhating dyke, feel free to visit the Feminism and Misogyny thread since these issues keep on popping up and derailing this thread.

I'm probably missing a couple of threads. I couldn't find the Poke-Girls thread in PYF (which is probably for the better), and I'm sure there's other threads that I just hadn't had the joy of encountering yet.

GenericOverusedName fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 6, 2012

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~

Buried alive posted:

I think part of the deal is that anime/manga, like just about any other form of media, is an exaggerated view of whatever culture it's supposedly mimicking. The people who become obsessed with them then exaggerate those differences even more because it's why they view those shows in the first place.

To flip it on its head, your typical Western otaku idiot is probably just as weird as someone who lives in Japan and is obsessed with, say, soap operas and believes that's what America is actually like, just at the opposite end of the scale. Kind of like this:

Farther right = more exaggerated.

America -> Soap operas -> People obsessed with soaps*
Japan -> Anime -> Otakus

*I don't know if this group actually exists/how big it is, but hopefully it illustrates the point I'm trying to make.

I agree, you can see such a thing in the ganguro subculture/fashion culture in Japan. The girls tan to extreme levels and bleach the living hell out of their hair, to look like an exaggerated "california girl" stereotype.

Exhibit a:

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
(May as well mention here that there's a little talk of actual rape in this post.)

There's a girl in my halls who, when we first met, I thought we could be friends. We had fairly similar interests in things like anime and reading, after all, and she was even shyer than me so I sorta felt like she could use a friend. My mind starting changing when I discovered her particular tastes; while I was happy with things like Mushishi and Bebop, she was obsessed with Hetalia*. Like, saw nothing wrong with those cosplayers who sieg heiled on Passover near a war memorial obsessed. The idea of befriending her was discarded very quickly, but she'd already decided I was her 'nakama' and it wasn't until the events down below that she actually left me alone, which occured about a month after our first meeting.

Her walls and the inside of her door are covered in printouts of hardcore Hetalia slash she'd find on hentai sites - she tried to cover the outside of her door in it too, but someone else kept taking them down. She got all indignant because someone had wasted her money; we get a set budget per semester to use the campus' only printer in the library, so she was printing out this stuff in public just to make things worse.

Eventually, the librarians got pissed with her and banned her from using the printer without supervision after it broke down printing some thirty pages worth of colour fanart. She'd decided it was a good idea to print this all an hour before the deadline of about twenty different modules that all had essays due in that day for some godawful reason.
(The way submissions worked at my uni was that you handed the essay to the librarians and they'd give you a receipt of proof that you'd handed it in. Now it's all electrical and works so much better and I like to think it was because of her :allears:)

She knew exactly what chaos was going down in the library since I had three different essays due in that day myself, and told her about how there was a queue of people who'd lined up before the library had even opened and how lucky I was to have my own tiny printer that meant I could skip the drama and just hand it straight in avoiding the crowds; she never asked to borrow it because the ~*~image quality~*~ wasn't good enough, so I was safe.

After this whole mess was sorted out, a few days later she said that I reminded her of Austria (?) and would I please read over her first ever fanfic for her later? I thought it couldn't be that bad and I figured it would stop her from whining about her library ban.

She decided not to tell me it was a graphic rape fanfiction because 'I knew you'd say no if I told you and it's not really rape since England ended up liking it and he fell in love with France and had a baby in the end (???) so what's your problem!?'.

The problem was that she knew my best friend from school had been raped recently, yet she still thought it was appropriate to show me her disgusting trash.

I don't bother talking to her. She complains about me abandoning her to the other girls on the dorm, but they've long stopped giving a poo poo after I told them what she'd actually done to make me into a 'backstabbing oversensitive bitch'.

* I've mentioned in some other threads that I know a girl who also loves Hetalia but this is a different girl altogether, though they don't hang out. Why is this poo poo so popular and why does it make people crazy.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Install Gentoo posted:

People who are obsessed with any culture are really weird, is the sum of it.

True... Star Wars, Star Trek, Twilight, Harry Potter, LOTR, WoW, Whedonverse obsessed fans are just as weird as anime-manga obsessed. I guess the common point is the fantasy part.

GenericOverusedName posted:

...snipped list of links to trainwreck threads aplenty...

Thank you good sir! Though I couldn't quite understand the grognard.txt one. I wasn't really sure of the point, especially over 1500 pages of it. I'll just go over Dragonsfoot forums for this sort of deal.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

I couldn't find the Poke-Girls thread in PYF (which is probably for the better)
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3423820

I should probably apologise, but....

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

the kawaiiest posted:

According to the guy, otaku-san was not embarrassed at all and spent the whole trip talking about how pissed he was that I "broke the mood". He then proceeded to throw up all over my friend's car.
Ahahahahahah

The very best part of that story is how unapologetic he was during the ride home. Thanks for all the stories the kawaiiest, they are wonderful and horrifying.

Farbauti
Dec 8, 2011

Pyrotoad posted:

...while I was happy with things like Mushishi and Bebop, she was obsessed with Hetalia*. Like, saw nothing wrong with those cosplayers who sieg heiled on Passover near a war memorial obsessed.

I truly am amazed that such exists, though I'm not sure why given the amount of other weird poo poo that has cropped up throughout the thread. What exactly do they cosplay as? Do they not incur the wraith of others with such fuckery?

If you have any other stories about this particular nutjob please do post.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Farbauti posted:

I truly am amazed that such exists, though I'm not sure why given the amount of other weird poo poo that has cropped up throughout the thread. What exactly do they cosplay as? Do they not incur the wraith of others with such fuckery?

If you have any other stories about this particular nutjob please do post.

They cosplay as countries - in hetalia, the countries have been turned into people, and a lot of the clothing looks like military wear from WW2. Par for the course in hetalia; someone once wrote a fanfic about the rape of Nanjing. I honestly don't understand why it's so crazy.

Unfortunately, I don't have many more stories about her like that aside from general passive-aggressive stuff like hiding my pans, leaving third person notes on my door asking Pyrotoad to act her age and apologise for her rude behaviour and then she might consider being my friend again, and not going to events like the christmas party because I was going and :airquote:subtly:airquote: letting everyone know it was because of me. Everyone else kinda hates her anyway so her loss :v:

We really don't speak to each other at all. It is hilarious though when I'm in the kitchen and she'll walk in, see me cooking, and turn right back around and flounce off to her room.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Oh, awesome, we're talking about fanfic now? I've been tempted to post this for a few days, but I've been looking for and not finding the primary documents in question, so I may as well give this a shot.

Calliope's Hercules Fanfiction

Calliope's obsession with Disney's Hercules was the first sign to me that my brand new best friend was trouble. She talked about, quoted, and sang song snippets from it endlessly, and when I expressed my irritation, I imagine her next plan of action became obvious... one day, when I was at her house, she forced me to sit down and watch it.

I was not amused. I had some background in the actual myths, as well as watching the Kevin Sorbo TV show (yeah, I know, but I was a pre-teen at the time), and that reinforced to me that the major theme of the Hercules myth was the suffering brought down upon him as the bastard child of Zeus, as well as by his own short-sightedness and brutality. I was also, to be fair, a pedantic little poo poo. The Disney movie lost me as soon as it was established that Hercules was Zeus and Hera's legitimate son who fell off Olympus somehow, and from there I started making a mental list of everything it got wrong. Calliope was not pleased; I'm sure she expected, or at least hoped, that I'd squee over it too.

My reaction to the movie probably planted the seed of Calliope's later conviction that I was a squee-harshing mundane, but we remained friends, and soon she shared her Disney's Hercules fanfiction with me. There were three stories that formed some sort of Epic Trilogy, and unfortunately, my memories of them are a little hazy now. My copies of the first two are on old Zip discs (yeeeeah '90's represent) for which I don't have a drive at the moment, and I don't think I ever had a copy of the third; the first one is still online, since I MiSTed it (yes, I was a dumb adolescent), so I'll be skimming it for details, but the second and third will be a lot more vague. Apologies.

"Fatal Destiny: Flavia's Tale": "Flavia's Tale" was, in true pre-adolescent fashion, the story of a magical new character with whom Hercules falls in love. (I've changed her name because, well, it's still on the Internet, and I'd rather my awful MiSTing not be detective'd up.) It starts when Hercules meets "Flavia," a beautiful beggar/thief girl who makes her meager living by playing her flute, which of course she's amazing at. Hercules sees the beauty lurking beneath the dirty facade and brings her back to the villa, where it turns out that she was also a childhood friend of his in-movie love interest Megara, until DRAMATIC TRAGEDY broke them apart: Megara's boyfriend, whom she sold her soul to save (this happened in the movie), left her... for Flavia! Oh noes!

Oh, and also Flavia has psychic powers and is the long-lost daughter of Aeneas and a muse. Go figure?

Anyway, rear end in a top hat Ex somehow reenters the picture and kidnaps Flavia and Megara. Hercules rushes to the rescue, only to find Flavia all dolled up in gold and jewelry and crap, along with one of those obligatory HAR HAR HAR YOU CAN ONLY SAVE ONE situations where the two women are suspended above pit traps. Flavia's psychic powers kick in and tell her that her "pit trap" is actually safe, so she mouths SAVE MEG until Hercules gets the picture, and Flavia promptly falls onto a pile of pillows that lead into a slimy sewer tunnel, which somehow leads her back to the scene of much villainous gloating. Flavia attacks rear end in a top hat Ex, who promptly takes Megara hostage, so to free her Flavia offers to "sell [him her] body." He accepts, but since she's covered in toxic sewer slime, she knows he's poisoning him to death! (Frankly, anyone who sees a woman covered in toxic sewer slime and immediately starts making out deserves what they get.) Hercules tries to defend Flavia's honor by pulling rear end in a top hat Ex away from her, but somehow the force of this sends her flying into a wall so hard she breaks everything. (?) There's an elaborate, loving description of all her broken bones and spitting blood and stuff, to the point that it disturbs me even now re-reading it.

Hercules and Megara race to get her help, but inevitably she's Too Far Gone; cue a hyper-melodramatic, lengthy death scene in which all the Gods of Olympus stand by being sad but not actually doing poo poo, including Flavia's mother, who finally gets off her rear end and raises the dead Flavia as a ghost. Flavia proceeds to say even more goodbyes, telling them to keep going with their lives, and tells Hercules and Megara that they'll have a daughter who'll change Greece forever, or something? And then her ghost leaves, and then it turns out her body has been changed into an immaculate marble statue of her pre-exploded self in Megara's garden forever. At this point, Tonstant Weader fwowed up.

Sadly, this endless/weird/gory death scene is not the part of "Flavia's Tale" that made me most uncomfortable as a kid. That would be reserved for the "apple tree scene," in which at one point at Hercules's villa, Flavia climbs an apple tree, falls off, and is somehow caught by her rapidly-tearing clothes such that she ends up in a suspension bondage situation. Calliope bragged about the raw sexiness of the apple tree scene for a while into high school, and, uh, yeah, I dunno.

Blah blah, end of the story, now that the alternate love interest is out of the way Hercules proposes to Megara, which leads to...

"A Fresh Face, A New Hope," the story of Hercules and Megara's daughter "Ryla Andressa" (not changin' that one, since Google doesn't deliver anything relevant, and it's amazing). Unfortunately, this was the blandest of the Calliope Trilogy, and I remember very little about it beyond a few salient points:

1) Megara is told of her pregnancy by some minor Olympian god, because either Ryla Andressa is Jesus or women in ancient Greece couldn't tell when their periods were late;
2) Baby Ryla Andressa is given a black unicorn named "Shadowshine" by Zeus;
3) Ryla Andressa has some kind of generic heroic arc and falls in True Love with some generic dude, eventually getting married at 18 because that's what girls do, even when they're super-strong hero types; and
4) There were musical numbers. The entire fic was loaded with musical numbers, most of them being altered versions of songs from the original movie, with possibly a few poorly-metered Calliope originals in there.

In general, "AFFANH" was a gender-swapped future-kid version of the original Disney's Hercules film, which is probably why I remember so little of it. The other Calliope stories at least had the good sense to be kinda crazy.

Finally, there's the magnum opus, the one I cry bitter tears over not still possessing in some form:

Silver Mountain.

Silver Mountain began with Ryla Andressa having a baby, a girl (naturally) named "Sierra." (Yes, really.) Sierra is born in Olympus, but as the result of a bad babysitter, she falls to Earth and is raised by sirens in Bimini. (Yes, really.) The sirens name her "Saria," which is said to mean "silver," so there we go with the title. There is a Great Quest to find her again, and they finally do when she's in her late teens (the magic time for girls to get married!), and she's welcomed to Olympus in style. Zeus offers to grant her godhood with any deific domain she likes, and she chooses... wait for it... "the supernatural," which somehow grants her full domain over all the gods. (What?) She ascends to the throne of Olympus, and things start getting really fuckballs crazy.

First of all, it turns out that Sierra/Saria is evil! And also slutty! She marries Some Generic Dude, but later kills him so she can slut around, and at some point in this equation, she has triplets: one whose name I forget, "Royalla," and "Cinnimue," who is the lone good one. Cinnimue sees her mother's reign of terror and sluttiness and decides that something must be done, so she embarks on an epic quest that, sadly, I remember very poorly. I do remember that it involves going back in time to Hercules's adolescence and somehow changing history such that Hercules... doesn't have a slutty granddaughter, I guess? You'd think just keeping her from being raised by sirens would be enough. (I'm not sure that Calliope actually drew the connection between "evil slut queen" and "raised by sirens," to be fair to her awfulness.) Also, Flavia comes back! Thanks to time travel! And, I believe, is somehow saved to marry some other dude or something! Sadly, I forget how this all ends, but I'm sure it ended in sluttiness being conquered and extremely white-bread matrimonial love saving the day.

There are two other factoids I remember about "Silver Mountain," but not well enough to place in context:
1) At one point, Calliope gives an initial description of a female character using her bust/waist/hip measurements, complete with cup size. This weirded me out a lot when I read it, and the thought of a 12- or 13-year-old girl writing it still kinda weirds me out.
2) During one of the two epic quests, Ryla Andressa is captured by bandits, who "rape her brutally." And... that's the whole rape scene. I'm not even sure it's brought up again after she's saved. Yeah, I dunno.

A lot of the stuff in Calliope's fanfiction strikes me as pretty standard adolescent fare (Mary Sue love interests, future children, a black unicorn named "Shadowshine" for God's sake) but in retrospect, it foreshadowed a lot of later problems. Calliope had this weird tension between uncomfortable sexual precocity and a very cookie-cutter view of Happily Ever After, and the timeframe of her HEA -- "married to your One True Love at eighteen, have a kid by 20 or 22, after that you're old" -- weirded me out even as a 14-year-old. I suspect it was a product of her home life; her parents were very strict and traditional, with a lot of expectations for her (this is probably worth its own post), and she acted out by writing weird bondage crap while not actually being willing to break away from the mindset entirely. This tension colored a lot of Calliope's later antics, and in retrospect, I should have known even then that things weren't going to end well.

Anyway! As a palate-cleanser after those giant chunks of text, I'll offer you this:

A History of Murry Purry

As eighth grade went on, I started to branch out a little more socially, and soon enough various acquaintances told me just why Calliope wasn't popular: she apparently spent her entire fifth-grade year pretending to be a cat! I never got details, unfortunately, and I wish I had. What is it with this sort of crazy and going through a cat phase?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Here's some relevant threads relating to crazy people obsessed with mundane things!

I'm honestly a little glad that the PYF Childfree thread (which I started because a bunch of I AM NOT CHILDFREE BUT I HATE KIDS ANYWAY people got defensive in the Internet Trainwreck thread) never took off because it'd probably kill me to see the cf_hardcore attitude still prevalent at this time and age.

Spitball Trough
Jul 25, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

squee-harshing mundane

This is exactly what I have always endeavored to be.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

This thread needs to be archived in to a best-selling novel. The thought of some of these people(denise) possibly reproducing worries me beyond belief.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Antivehicular posted:

First of all, it turns out that Sierra/Saria is evil! And also slutty! She marries Some Generic Dude, but later kills him so she can slut around, and at some point in this equation, she has triplets: one whose name I forget, "Royalla," and "Cinnimue," who is the lone good one. Cinnimue sees her mother's reign of terror and sluttiness and decides that something must be done, so she embarks on an epic quest that, sadly, I remember very poorly. I do remember that it involves going back in time to Hercules's adolescence and somehow changing history such that Hercules... doesn't have a slutty granddaughter, I guess? You'd think just keeping her from being raised by sirens would be enough. (I'm not sure that Calliope actually drew the connection between "evil slut queen" and "raised by sirens," to be fair to her awfulness.) Also, Flavia comes back! Thanks to time travel! And, I believe, is somehow saved to marry some other dude or something! Sadly, I forget how this all ends, but I'm sure it ended in sluttiness being conquered and extremely white-bread matrimonial love saving the day.

Man, gently caress those sluts. slut slut slut slut slut.

:colbert:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Antivehicular posted:

Oh come on are you loving serious? On the same goddamn page as a bunch of very reasonable explanations as to why you should use different terminology?

vvv Nothing about the way it was worded indicated to me that that was the case. I could be wrong, though – in fact I'd rather believe I'm just being a dickhead and invoking poe's law unnecessarily!

Pretty good fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 7, 2012

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Mammal Sauce posted:

Oh come on are you loving serious? On the same goddamn page as a bunch of very reasonable explanations as to why you should use different terminology?

I took this as more of a critique of the original uh, 'story' than the poster's actual opinion. Of sluts.

Party Spock
Feb 16, 2011

Everybody have a logical time

Corridor posted:

I took this as more of a critique of the original uh, 'story' than the poster's actual opinion.

Me too.

Also, Saria sounds WAY cooler than all those other Mary Sues. Sort of a "Queen of the Night" figure. It would be amusing to think that Calliope was somehow living vicariously through her villain.

Corridor posted:

Of sluts.

Can we just not do this? I was enjoying this thread until assholes started trying to tell me how many people I'm allowed to have sex with.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Nuzzybear posted:

This thread needs to be archived in to a best-selling novel. The thought of some of these people(denise) possibly reproducing worries me beyond belief.

Are you ever in luck!:dance:

Liz, the Cat Queen/Tiamut charmer, has at least one child. I heard about it after the fact from Bill, who was relieved the kid wasn't his.

Oh, she was a fanfic writer, too. She was into the Phantom of the Opera and Star Trek, so she wrote endless crossover slash/torture porn epics. Which she then submitted, to actual publications. She couldn't figure out why they were never accepted. Somehow she convinced herself, Cat, Pete & Dave that it was because she was a girl and they never publish anything by girls. :byodame:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Yesterday there was a couple at IKEA...she was in full over-the-top Lolita gear with impossibly tall wood-block shoes and he was short, fat, hairy, and wearing a dragon shirt.

It was hard not to stand and appreciate the ridiculous amount of trouble they were having with the flat pack boxes.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

RazorBunny posted:

Yesterday there was a couple at IKEA...she was in full over-the-top Lolita gear with impossibly tall wood-block shoes and he was short, fat, hairy, and wearing a dragon shirt.

It was hard not to stand and appreciate the ridiculous amount of trouble they were having with the flat pack boxes.

That sounds distressingly nerd-love cute, actually.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Yond Cassius posted:

That sounds distressingly nerd-love cute, actually.

I can't judge too much, after all, I met my husband in a comic book shop and he proposed to me dressed as Nightwing. I did kind of wonder why the girl couldn't wear more sensible clothes for something like shopping for furniture, seeing as how the boyfriend couldn't move the stuff by himself and her shoes rendered her helpless...

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
No more slut derail please, thanks.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

RazorBunny posted:

I did kind of wonder why the girl couldn't wear more sensible clothes for something like shopping for furniture, seeing as how the boyfriend couldn't move the stuff by himself and her shoes rendered her helpless...

How dare you judge her?! She's just being herself, a beautiful and unique snowflake! Everybody should accept that, at all times, even when it's entirely inappropriate! Hugbox!

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Grei Skuring posted:

This could be interesting. Maybe start from the beginning?
Good enough for me to at least post what I've already written.

Tales of Brian (names have been changed to protect identities, yadda yadda)

I was a bit of a Japanese "culture" nerd back in my early college days (watched some anime regularly, thought almost anything Japanese was cool, etc). I've mostly gotten over all of that, thanks to traveling abroad, growing up, and being faced with something called reality. Nowadays these "weeaboo tendencies" extend exclusively to video games and a few musical acts. As such I wanted to study Japanese as my foreign language at university; I ended up taking two years of it. Speaking with my friends from other campuses nationwide who also took Japanese, we've come to this conclusion: In any entry-level Japanese class, more than half of the participants are there because of the nerdy facets of Japanese culture. Some show it, some don't. I mostly kept my geekiness concealed (luckily having burned through my ~*~*otaku pride*~*~ stage in middle school), figuring that my poor, long-suffering teachers didn't want to hear (in limited, first-year Japanese) about how I read One Piece or collected Famicom games. (This didn't stop others, though, no-siree!) Brian was this lack of social tact and impulse control made in human form. My first introduction to Brian was in my second year of Japanese.

Meet Marsden-san

It was the first day of class on a balmy August morning. Since our university's Asian Studies department was quite large, there were as many as four sessions of low-level Japanese classes being held in a given semester; it was all-but guaranteed that you wouldn't be with the same students every semester. As my teacher ran through this list of faces new and old, she took pause at one entry.

:3: ...Lee-san, Champignon-san...
:3:: … (Her bright expression dimmed).
:sigh:: Marsden-san?

The class looked about nervously; it's usually a good idea to be in attendance on the first day of class, especially when the Japanese department ran a tight ship and kept attendance in all classes. I heard a couple of people talk to their neighbors under their breath, I distinctly remember someone whispering the word "loud". Did this “Marsden” have some sort of reputation? The roll went on and we got into a review of what we had learned the previous year. About ten minutes into the lesson, heavy breathing and scuffling of shoes could be heard down the hall along with someone talking (maybe even cursing) under their breath. There was a clatter at the door, and into the room bursts a disheveled, heavy set guy looking like he just rolled out of bed. He had a hundered-foot stare that could only be described as completely manic. If you’ve familiar with the sitcom Community, picture the minor character Garrett, ruffle his hair, give him a few days worth of beard stubble and an unwieldly, bulky backpack stuffed to the brim with loose pieces of paper and you’re most of the way there. He opened his portly maw and shouted:

:byodood:: HI SENSEI
:sigh:: Marsden-san. (There was the flat tone of resignation in her voice).
:byodood:: OH YES HI KANNO-SENSEI SORRY I’M LATE I GOT LOST AND-
:(: (In Japanese) Please take a seat, Marsden-san.
:byodood:: …
:(: (In English) Please have a seat, Marsden-san, we’re in the middle of class.
:byodood:: OH... OH. (as he squeezed his wide-berth through the narrow isles of desks) AS I WAS SAYING SENSEI I COULDN’T FIND THE CLASS BECAUSE-
:sigh: It’s fine. Just open your book to page 12.

Brian gets to his desk and sits down. The class goes on as normal for a few minutes and we begin to study kanji until-
:spergin:: DOES ANYONE HAVE A PEN THAT I COULD BORROW I FORGOT MINE AND I COULD REALLY USE A PEN I’M SORRY I’LL TRY TO REMEMBER ONE NEXT TIME
The class is silent. It appears that Brian’s only volume when speaking is “shouting”. There’s a slight pause and then-
:spergin:: I SAID DOES ANYBODY HAVE A PEN THAT I COULD BORROW I FORGOT MINE
Silence. Brian is becoming increasingly perturbed, his expression darkens and he begins to work himself into a panic. He enhales deeply, readying his wide frame for another verbal assault. Luckily a neighbor has a pen and reluctantly gives it to Brian in order to quiet him before the third outburst. I don’t think she ever asked for it back at the end of the lesson, lest Brian’s all-enveloping coating of grease and sweat turned out to be a parasitic organism seeking new hosts.

The lesson continues with limited outbursts and interruptions from Brian. Throughout the two semesters I spent in Japanese class with Brian, not a day would go by without some of this behavior. I can’t remember a single class with him where he didn’t do at least one of the following things(sorted by frequency):
  • Put his legs up on the table during class.
  • Browse the internet or play games (WoW) on his computer during class, even though it was strictly outlined that there were to be no computers used at any time, no exceptions.
  • Forget some essential study item (pencil, paper, textbook) and request loudly for a loaner.
  • Put his head down and fall asleep in class.
  • Do other tasks like rip apart Arby’s coupons from the inserts in the school newspaper.
  • Deride someone for giving a wrong answer in class (usually in reading exercises).
I had never encountered someone with Asperger’s before (at least not anyone with such a strong case, I was a somewhat sheltered child) and this behavior shocked me. I later learned what was normal and what was not for someone with such a condition, and Brian really pushed the envelope in that regard, using it as a crutch to get his way. He would resist nearly anything he had to do every step of the way. Other than telling him to put his computer away or take his feet off his desk, the Japanese teachers did their best to ignore him. Better to not wake him up on his turn to speak or not make a federal issue out of forgetting items than to deal with backtalk. Whenever someone did something Brian didn’t like, he’d let you know. He’d get whiny in the middle of the class and act all indignant that he couldn’t “grind for honor” or whatever in the middle of class-time.

We were at one of the better public universities in my country, and Brian was a bright kid, all things considered. He just didn’t apply himself in certain areas he deemed “not important”, like hygene or having any tact. Case in point: Brian was sort of a kanji savant, by my understanding, or at least took great pains to study them whenever the mood struck. However, his pronunciation (and by extension, conversational skills) was among the worst in the class. I was originally annoyed with Brian’s behavior, but he eventually came to be a curiosity for me; a train wreck that I couldn’t look away from. I already posted one such example of an event that happened to solidify my opinion of Brian:

Brian shows the Japanese teacher porn

But as this introduction might be a little mundane, I’ll post one more tidbit:

Brian Shorts: The “Guild Table”
Make no mistake that Brian was in the anime club. I never had the mental fortitude to join or even visit it, but I knew a few people that were. I knew this not because I talked to them, but I could overhear them talking about it at loud volume. In a long table in at the bottom floor of our univeristy’s dining hall they’d gather daily, holding congress from the first to last class. It was their base of operations, the “guild table” as they called it. I’m not one pot to call a kettle black in regards to their activities. However, the number of fedoras, ponytails, and button-down dragon shirts was staggering. In his defense, Brian never dressed like this. He usually wore stained polo shirts, wrinkled khakis or denim and white sneakers (easy to remember when he put his feet up everyday). And every day as I passed by the table (it was basically unavoidable with the layout of the hall) I would see Brian (feet propped up laptob balanced on his gut, as usual) exiled to the farthest corner of the “guild table”. It didn’t take long for me to realize:

Even the worst of weeaboos didn’t like this guy.

You wouldn’t like Brian when he’s angry
Brian takes a physical approach to test taking
Brian has no concept of self
Brian puts on the charm
Brian comes over for a visit
Brian regales us with his enlightened political views
Glimpses into the life of Brian (Brian’s big night out, the guild table, and gothic lolita)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Champignon posted:

Please folks, don't ask this every time, just assume there is and keep them coming!

my darling feet
May 9, 2007
are truly captivating
It's really hard to follow after hearing more Denise and Summer stories, and now, Brian :allears: .

Here's a continuation of Neikol, and my high school time:

Niekol was playing matchmaker, cupid, or some form of vindiction when she cast Summer and I as Sailors Uranus and Neptune, and Mihoshi and the other space cadet one in TM. As 26 years of experience has taught me, I'm not gay or bicurious. Hell, I had several boyfriends during my high school career.

This creation of a OTP started the death of any inkling I had for role playing (a blessing in disguise?) as for the next two years, Summer and I RPed two lovers who talked about high school and what we were doing in each characters' voices. We'd pass noted between classes folded up all intricate like detailing the last boring thing we had done in class. This was riviting stuff, and I wonder how I could ever stop in junoir year.

It finally ended when I told her in no uncertain terms that I had a male partner for realz and this was boring. I feel that I allowed it to happen for far too long because that's what my "friends" were doing. It feels like I lead her on, and I should have known better. Summer was in the special class for students developmentally behind, and I was pulling AP classes during my junior year. I shouldn't have allowed the role playing to go on even ater I didn't really enjoy it even less. Because of this back and forthing with the RP and notebooks and a few dropped notes, naturally our school assumed we were a harem of swinging lesbains, content only with our lady-selves.

Niekol had an interesting role in all of this. She cultivated fans of her psycosis and her main squeeze was one of the girls in the group called Beth. Beth and Niekol were tight. They had their own cartoon worlds that Niekol illustrated and wrote stories for. Beth was feircely devoted to Niekol. She herself looked like an upright rectangle, with just a slight indentation where her neck was. She had plain blond hair down to her neck, dull green eyes, and she reminded me a lot of the Chex Mix Dream Girl song by The Lonley Island when I heard it years later (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFbLvJUQP-E).

Beth and Niekol acted out their own fantasy lives often based on the fiction written (from I learned about it later it involved several of the same topics covered in this thread before. 1) Demons 2) Dragons, spirits, and otherkinds 3) Marriage with the demons, etc 4) Many children with the demons and otherkin. If you were particurally tight with her, you got to be a child or romantic interest. There could be long convoluted tales of multi-generations headed up Niekol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiggy Johnson
Jun 10, 2011

eschaton posted:

Please folks, don't ask this every time, just assume there is and keep them coming!

Seconding this. Also, we don't care if you've changed the names or not, so why even mention it?

• Locked thread