Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Those bases look really nice, what did you put on them? I originality wanted something similar to that but so far all I've gotten is crumbly and soft results. Going with Spackle now (British Paratroopers so they are going to based as "muddy field").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Just PVA and sharp sand from a builders yard. I cover the base with a generous amount of PVA then stick the men in to the muck, put a little of the PVA round the edge of their bases and on their bases and then sprinkle generously with the sand. Nothing flash.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jan 1, 2012

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

This feels like a beginner question, and I'm not sure how I missed this - but in Flames how do you model Rifle/MG Teams?

It looks like you put a MG on the 5 man base and 4 riflemen on the other, but then you have one MG/Rifle stand and one regular stand of riflemen. Do both stands have the stats of a Rifle/MG team?

It's a simple enough abstraction, but the rules are extremely WYSIWYG everywhere else.

e: vvv thanks! Further confusing the issue for me were stats for MG Teams, Rifle Teams, and then for Rifle/MG Teams. I'll go with what we're talking here.

moths fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 2, 2012

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

moths posted:

This feels like a beginner question, and I'm not sure how I missed this - but in Flames how do you model Rifle/MG Teams?

It looks like you put a MG on the 5 man base and 4 riflemen on the other, but then you have one MG/Rifle stand and one regular stand of riflemen. Do both stands have the stats of a Rifle/MG team?

It's a simple enough abstraction, but the rules are extremely WYSIWYG everywhere else.

What you described is correct (or at least that's how I did it), and they do have the stats of a Rifle/MG team.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

moths posted:

e: vvv thanks! Further confusing the issue for me were stats for MG Teams, Rifle Teams, and then for Rifle/MG Teams. I'll go with what we're talking here.

That's right. Basically, instead of having platoons with teams of different statlines, it's more streamlined if they just make a single middle-ground statline for all the teams.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Quick review of the Russian Infantry from the Plastic Soldier Company after putting a platoon together.

Quality of the sculpts if anything are better than the Germans, far less need to clean up mold lines (to be fair to the Germans the mold lines werent too bad, and neither set has any flash at all) and a nicer variety of figures, which is both a plus and a minus. In my opinion there are way to many troops with SMGs, well for what I need anyway- its pretty much 40% SMG to 60% rifles which when you are trying to put a rifle company together is a pain in the arse, as from my research most squads at most had 2 SMG armed men in. I reckon I should just be able to scrape enough together to do a whole company, but its a little annoying.

Mind you if I buy another box I should be able to do a SMG company as well!

Heres a quick snap:

Pic makes them look a little blobby- blame the lighting and my phone. They are pretty crisp in real life.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Also for any FOW or 15mm WW2 fans, Skytrex have a 20% sale on that ends tonight on, and they sell COmmaned Decision/Old Glory figs. Just bagged myself enough to do all the support platoon options- MMGS, mortars, ATRs etc plus some officer types.

http://www.skytrex.com/151/15mm-command-decision/

Numlock
May 19, 2007

moths posted:

I wouldn't worry about it as it would take a sharp eye to tell a stand of SMG troops from a Pioneer stand when you are standing above a table and looking down at them. S

Because of this you might consider leaving the edges of the bases un-flocked/puttied/etc so that you can color them. Makes it easy when you and your opponent know that the stands with a red border are SMG teams while the ones with Blue and Green borders are standard Rifle/MG teams.

Also consider basing your infantry as 4 to a medium stand and 2 to a small stand, makes them easier to paint and you might be able to squeeze out a pioneer squad or two with the left overs.

postman
Jun 16, 2009

Hey goons, wanted to cross post from SA Mart quick:

Universal Bitz and Games, a goon run warstore in South Dakota, just got a decent order of FoW miniatures paints and rule books.
All goon orders are 10% off of MSRP (that's the most we can give via BFM). Stock list is in the thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3455444

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I've also been working with the new PSC Russians, and can verify that Serotonin is correct and they're great. The SMG:rifle mix is better for late-war, I suppose, when more of those things were circulating (If the FoW books are to be trusted, anyway).

Once I cut them off sprues, I found that they were much more visually consistent with Command Decision than I'd thought:

(There's also a Legions East NCO in there, but I can't honestly recommend their figures.)

I should add that Peter Pig also works well with these - I didn't realize none were on the bases I photographed.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

moths posted:

What I did was buy the old FestungsKompanie box, which is regular Grenadiers but with enough MGs to make every base have one (MG teams in-game) and I just make sure that both me and my opponant know if I'm using them as FestungsKompanie, GrenadierKompanie or PanzerGrenadierKompanie from game to game. It works out pretty well since the people I will play with are not dicks.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

moths posted:

).

Once I cut them off sprues, I found that they were much more visually consistent with Command Decision than I'd thought:

[

that's good to see and hear after buying loads of them in the Skytrex sale.

Flying Guillotine
Dec 29, 2005

by angerbot
Just picked up the rulebook to Force on Force and Tomorrow's War, based on the recommendations in this thread.

You goons better not let me down! :argh:

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Flames of War stuff http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3455444 goon discount 22% off till Monday!

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
So a few friends and myself are going to start playing Flames of War. I'm wondering if there's any type of Canadian unit that uses British tanks, rather than Yankee Shermans.

Edit: also need to know what the time periods actually are. We're planning on doing mid war, whenever that is.

MohawkSatan fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 6, 2012

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I have a sudden urge to play bronze age nautical stuff...

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

MohawkSatan posted:

So a few friends and myself are going to start playing Flames of War. I'm wondering if there's any type of Canadian unit that uses British tanks, rather than Yankee Shermans.

Edit: also need to know what the time periods actually are. We're planning on doing mid war, whenever that is.

IDK about the Canadians, but the periods are 1939-1941 is Early (Blitzkrieg, Hellfire and Back, Burning Empires), 1942-1943 is Mid (Eastern Front, North Africa), and 1944-1945 are Late (Fortress Europe, Turning Tide, Earth & Steel, Red Bear, Grey Wolf).

Numlock
May 19, 2007

MohawkSatan posted:

Candians... midwar

There is one official (meaning its just as valid and legal as any list from a printed book) Midwar briefing for the Canadian forces that took part in the disastrous raid on Dieppe here.

Lucky the Canadian forces in that raid used Churchill tanks, the most British of tanks. Sadly that seems to be your only tank option.

Now one thing you should probably do, if you haven't done so already, is check around your area for Flames of war groups and see what periods they typically play in. It may be a bad idea to start off in Mid War if everybody in your area plays Late War only.

Edit: I'll add that even if it is the case that everybody plays late-war, with the British its not hard to make an army that can be fielded in ether late or mid war. Generally the only things that change are points costs and organization of the units. For example the Churchill III is also available in Late War, the main difference being that its much cheaper partly because there were more of them but mostly because its not as good compared to newer tanks of the period.

Numlock fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 7, 2012

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Are we expecting an Early War Barbarossa book?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Trouble Man posted:

Are we expecting an Early War Barbarossa book?

Allegedly in August.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Numlock posted:

Delicious information

I was aware of the Dieppe book. Heard from my buddies, and it looks like we'll actually be going Late War, because one of them is wanting a Panzergrenadier company and the other is going to throw Streloky into the meatgrinder.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Since your friends are doing Infantry companies you guys might consider doing Infantry aces. It might keep your Russian playing friend from going nuts (or giving up) when he realizes just how much painting hes going to have to do.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Numlock posted:

Since your friends are doing Infantry companies you guys might consider doing Infantry aces. It might keep your Russian playing friend from going nuts (or giving up) when he realizes just how much painting hes going to have to do.

Lightweights- Ive just painted 3 platoons of Russians in 2 evenings.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
We're all actually doing some form of infantry. Me; infantry with heavy artillery/anti-tank gun support, Zephyr; mechanized infantry, Kernel; HORDES and T-34s

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Serotonin posted:

Lightweights- Ive just painted 3 platoons of Russians in 2 evenings.

So you are like 10% done... :)

I'm going to have to attempt the same, as I want to take my British Airborne to a tournament in a few weeks and I don't have much time I can set aside for painting 1500 points of infantry. As I type this about half are sitting in slowly drying spackle putty.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Numlock posted:

So you are like 10% done... :)

Nah coz I dont play FOW. I have taste.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Serotonin posted:

Nah coz I dont play FOW. I have taste.

I'll give you something to taste.

Speaking of FoW, been re-reading Red bear and I am super-excited about 3rd Edition.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Flying Guillotine posted:

Just picked up the rulebook to Force on Force and Tomorrow's War, based on the recommendations in this thread.

You goons better not let me down! :argh:

Those games are great! What models are you going to be using?

Numlock
May 19, 2007

I can't wait to get air support models for every army in FOW for little to nothing as every body who ever bought any will have two extra models they will never use.

I'll also report that I now have one of three platoons painted and based. They also don't look that dreadful for a first attempt. YEA!!!

Photos maybe later as I don't have a light box and its dark out.

Sero isn't a fun haver.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Numlock posted:

I can't wait to get air support models for every army in FOW for little to nothing as every body who ever bought any will have two extra models they will never use.

I think you're overestimating the number of people who spent 50+ dollars for a really bad choice :v:

Also, lots of people make 1:144 aircraft that aren't battlefront, and for significantly cheaper. When I sold off my americans I had a box of P-47s up for sale in my store's consignment room for half off. It still took over a year to sell.

Devlan Mud fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 9, 2012

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Colonial Air Force posted:

I'll give you something to taste.

Speaking of FoW, been re-reading Red bear and I am super-excited about 3rd Edition.

Does anyone know what changes they have made to 3rd edition? (I've only heard about the new Hens and Chicks)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Two relevant facts for FoW airdraft:

1: they suck balls. Take three AA guns and distribute them evenly along a table-edge and they've got such a radius of effect that they'll normally shoot down every plane that comes into the game.

2: they're expensive for not particularly impressive models. Go elsewhere if you MUST, but alternatively just put down a penny while the plane is on the table (all 30 seconds of it, before it gets shot down).

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

At least in the current edition, aircraft tend to be underperforming for the points, as well.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Arquinsiel posted:

Two relevant facts for FoW airdraft:

1: they suck balls. Take three AA guns and distribute them evenly along a table-edge and they've got such a radius of effect that they'll normally shoot down every plane that comes into the game.

2: they're expensive for not particularly impressive models. Go elsewhere if you MUST, but alternatively just put down a penny while the plane is on the table (all 30 seconds of it, before it gets shot down).

Maybe it's just my group, but aircraft have served me well in FoW, except for having to roll a 5 or 6 to get them in, and then having to roll again to see how many planes you get. It may just be that most of us don't actively take AA, and those that do usually prefer to use them (8.8's or .50 MGs) against ground targets. Personally I think it's a great way to add some artillery to an army where that's not your focus. Then again, I run Italians, so max I'll ever spend is like 90 points for the Fiats.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The only AA I've seen taken is autocannon on halftracks and the like, so they tend to just sit there and pew-pew at whatever is dumb enough to try hit their troops. There's really no reason to shoot at troops or tanks when you'll easily take down a plane instead for far less investment than actaully buying planes.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

They are changing how Airsupport works in V3 so hopefully they have made it more useful. But yeah as it is I'm not planning on using it in any sort of competitive list.

BeigeJacket posted:

Does anyone know what changes they have made to 3rd edition? (I've only heard about the new Hens and Chicks)

Take anything you hear about V3 with a grain of salt as all the play testers for V3 are under an NDA and so anybody saying such and such about various rules is probably dealing in wild speculation based on the few tidbits that have come out.

Not that it's stopping people in the official forums from declaring that: Infantry is useless and tanks will rule everything, Infantry is overpowered and Tanks are useless, air support is going to be overpowered, soviets have been nerfed, soviets are going to be overpowered, battlefront is going to go anime...

So with that in mind:

Assault rules have been changed quite a bit, supposedly to simplify them and get rid of dumb exploits involving independent teams and interlaced platoons.

Gone to Ground gun teams will get a 3+ save.

Gun teams in assault (with conditions) can op to shoot at the tanks side armor rather than make a normal assault "swing" against top armor.

Air support rules have changed, hopefully to make it better.

More missions and deployment rules that hopefully will mean the end of "Infantry in name only" lists.

Transports apparently get some rule that supposedly doesn't make them as much of a death trap as they are now.

Wheeled vehicles will move faster than they do now.

Turreted Tanks will get a rule that hits against their side armor MAY become hits against their front armor IF their turret is facing the teams that shot at it.

Numlock fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 10, 2012

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Air support now automatically ranges in on units in the open, but only gets one chance to range in on units that are concealed.

Also, MG teams got a huge buff, ROF 2 when pinned. Get your panzergrenadiers and EW French ready.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Man, if that Plastic Soldier Company stuff is as good as it looks I might finish my Jewish Battalion.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Battlefronts NDA prevents any playtesters commenting on any material.

So most of the info has either come from:
1. Naughty could get people into trouble loose lips.
2. Battlefront employees showing parts of the book to generate interest.
3. Battlefront info via their website.

I believe some people have seen parts of the book from sales reps. Like any rules often they can seem odd not in context of other changes.

My NDA prevents me from talking but I would listen to anything from Mike, Phil, Wayne or JP via the website or interviews they have been doing about the changes they are excited about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm really enjoying the Russian PSC 15's, and if they continue the trend their 15mm British will be scaled-down versions of their 1/72 British Figures.

I'm not a huge fan of the helmet covering, but the poses are solid and you get a lot of them.