Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sigma-X posted:

I liked everything about it except for the two Nathan/Teodor panels. It felt really unnecessary and really stretched out for a comic that does not play out awkward sexual encounters for 30 panels and two comics.

Nearly every other time the comic involves sex or cocks or whatever is short and/or consensual, and this was a really creepy coercion.

I think saying people who didn't like it are homophobes is really awkward, too, because in my opinion, if anything, it's playing up homosexuality as a scary/weird thing.

If Nice Pete's Highschool as an arc is read quickly and those pages are dropped (or perhaps truncated to a few) and you aren't staring at the same comic for literal weeks on end, then I think it's pretty solid still. But the whole way achewood petered out and died on that arc was really, really unfortunate.

It's more that it's playing Teodor's questionable sexuality and his first gay experience against the incredible hosed up situation that they're in that makes it funny.

That and the idea that the whole sequence in the back of the van might just be Nice Pete's imagination. The crazy cat likes imagining the old gay cat and the bear having sex.

And also the phrase "You do what you want to, but do what you need to, too." Such a nice way to say "Y'know, if you wanted to blow me, that'd be alright."

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Happy Hippo posted:

But it was a whole lot of set up for nothing. It still gets under my skin that that plot point, as major as it was, was completely dropped.

It's doubly annoying when I think about how easy it could have been to end it. Maybe not the way he envisioned, but close it up somehow.

Next strip, everyone who was in the van is out on the side of the road, nice Pete drives off angrily. Ray shows up, some banter is had, Ray excuses himself to call David Lynch to apologize. The remaining animals exchange words about what happened. Ray returns and asks everyone if they would like to go back to his place to have *GUSSIED UP COMFORT FOOD* and *REALLY SPECIFIC BRAND/VINTAGE CHAMPAGNE*.

Done. It's not satisfying, but it would be an ending. I mean, it's like that entire strip was one long mindfuck and then, at the point of climax, the comic left the room to get cigarettes and never came back. At least give my brain a cheap handy to finish it off. It doesn't matter if it's a bad job, you just NEED TO FINISH WHAT YOU STARTED WITH MY MIND ERECTION.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
For me, I actually like Teodor. He's loyal, he looks out for Phillipe, he's cynical when it calls for it.

If he's gay or not, fine, but I don't want him to have his first gay experience (that we know of) have to be this loving terrible. Pat, a horrible bastard, had a pretty benign entry into his self-acceptance of being gay.

The least worthy character gets the easiest time, while one of the nicer characters gets roped into what can only be described as a worst case scenario for most people.

I just hope what occurred in that strip is the mental machination of Nice Pete. The art style changes a bit, and there's the whole Nice Pete throws a molotov in the back of his van thing that we see a bit earlier. There's also a bible quote, and we all know how much Nice Pete loves that old chestnut.

Also, Rod is too good for Pat, and if Teodor is gay, they'd make a better couple, even considering their earlier acquaintance.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I love how Ray's acceptance of his old friend's new homosexuality is insulting in a "breaking my friend's balls" kind of way.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Happy Hippo posted:

I love how Ray's acceptance of his old friend's new homosexuality is insulting in a "breaking my friend's balls" kind of way.

It reminds me of that line from the SNL sketch with the college weeaboos. "If there's such a thing as loving racism, you've found it."

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

sassassin posted:

You have bad, possibly homophobic opinions about things.

Got it in one my friend. My dislike of a strip where Teodor is threatened with rape in the back of a filthy van is indeed entirely rooted in my cherished and deeply held homophobia.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 7, 2012

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Got it in one my friend. My dislike of a strip where Teodor is threatened with rape in the back of a filthy van is indeed entirely rooted in my cherished and deeply held homophobia.

Pretty sure you're supposed to read it as Teodor finally giving in and doing it with a guy when he thinks he's about to die, after his sexuality has been hinted at for ages, not as rape.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dickeye posted:

Pretty sure you're supposed to read it as Teodor finally giving in and doing it with a guy when he thinks he's about to die, after his sexuality has been hinted at for ages, not as rape.

Sex under duress is generally not regarded as consensual.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
For the love of god please don't start a rape discussion in the loving Achewood thread. There's like 12 threads in D&D you can have that discussion in.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

And there are a bunch of threads in BSS that derail into rapechat at every opportunity too.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
I'm a little vague on how 'here is a cock, you can suck it if you want' is rape, as opposed to a gross and heavy-handed invitation, but I'm willing to be educated.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh my god please can it go to derailed, I am so not interested in hearing this stupid rapechat again.

I've been wondering how come the Magreaux dog doesn't get more love in this thread, that was one of my favorites. It's just so insane and weird but totally makes sense within the comic.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09062006

Seeing your Magreaux dog try to walk is probably the worst feeling in the world.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I still remember the strip that was up the first time I actually went to read the comic, after seeing bits of it in the funny panels thread for ages. It was the group colonoscopy strip. "..acting?"

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:

Happy Hippo posted:

That may be the funniest stand alone strip in achewood.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Dominion posted:

For the love of god please don't start a rape discussion in the loving Achewood thread. There's like 12 threads in D&D you can have that discussion in.

All bears are homosexual until they are raped by a man

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lurdiak posted:

Sex under duress is generally not regarded as consensual.

Nathan wasn't the one putting him under duress.

In fact he wasn't being forced to have sex by anyone, it was more "gently caress if I'm gonna die I may as well try it".

Jesus Christ, people.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
I liked that storyline mainly because we got to meet Lurquilla and Maynard.

"I GOT TO STAGE A LAWN-FIRE WHAT LOOKS BELIEVABLE!"

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
At this point it is unclear who is on acid.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Let's not forget he just up and offered to blow Ray out of frustration.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

redmercer posted:

Let's not forget he just up and offered to blow Ray out of frustration.

He didn't just offer. Or maybe that frame was in Ray's imagination, I forget.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

withak posted:

He didn't just offer. Or maybe that frame was in Ray's imagination, I forget.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=08252006

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Ah, hypothetical.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I just realized that in the arc where Pat comes out, the Mexican camera shows him eating meat.

Pat really is a freegan just to be a righteous rear end in a top hat. Pat is the best character.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what Beef is doing with the Scrabble board in the first few panels? Is it another language, or just gibberish?

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Dodgeball posted:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what Beef is doing with the Scrabble board in the first few panels? Is it another language, or just gibberish?

Um, neither? Those are all real English words and legit Scrabble plays.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Gomi posted:

Um, neither? Those are all real English words and legit Scrabble plays.

Huh. Good on Beef, then, I wondered mostly because he brushes them aside when the doctor comes in.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dodgeball posted:

Huh. Good on Beef, then, I wondered mostly because he brushes them aside when the doctor comes in.

Nothing sadder than a man playing scrabble with himself.... and cheating!

gwaaargh
Jul 7, 2010

by XyloJW

Dodgeball posted:

It might have just been a nervous reaction, but let's not forget that Roast Beef has a problem taking pride in things.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
ComicsAlliance interview
So, is it verboten to wonder why no one asks him what's up with the preorder money he ran away with? Or has that been resolved and I haven't been made aware yet?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Calaveron posted:

ComicsAlliance interview
So, is it verboten to wonder why no one asks him what's up with the preorder money he ran away with? Or has that been resolved and I haven't been made aware yet?

I'm assuming that he wouldn't agree to an interview unless that wasn't brought up. It hasn't been resolved and it never will.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
I love how in that interview he unironically begins one of his answers with "The best way to make money in webcomics is".

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Dodgeball posted:

The joke is that they're all the "pro" Scrabble plays - the kind of joyless meta-game that only a serious Scrabble nerd would know and be able to perform. And Beef is exactly the guy to do that.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Not really. Qi and Qat are ones that everyone that plays scrabble learns. Someone plays it, you challenge it, it turns out to be real, you remember it for the next time you get stuck with a Q and no u. You tend to learn a lot of those words playing speed scrabble.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

What part of 'serious scrabble nerd' does not apply to playing something called speed scrabble?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Calaveron posted:

ComicsAlliance interview

Someone (maybe someone from here) mentioned that in the comments, and some anonymous person came back with the dictionary definition of libel.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

I wonder why he's not going more into prose stuff. He says outright in that interview that he enjoys that part of the job much more than the webcomicy bits, and honestly he's got enough of a track record that he could probably get a publisher to bite without actually having a manuscript in hand. I wonder why he's coming back to something he obviously doesn't particularly enjoy outside of the fact that he's figured out how to make money from it.

On a different note, does anyone really miss the gag-a-day strips? I thought they were reasonably witty, but it wasn't until he started with some continuity and longer-form stories that Achewood really took off for me. I'd be perfectly happy with updates once a week or every other week or whatever if they were longer and regular. I honestly don't care what the schedule would be as long as he picks one and sticks to the loving thing. If you're going to take six months off because you're burned out just come out and loving announce it instead of disappearing from the face of the planet.

Didn't we have this discussion last year sometime, though? I can't remember.

(no cookbook 2 yet; libel my loving rear end)

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Tolan posted:

I wonder why he's not going more into prose stuff. He says outright in that interview that he enjoys that part of the job much more than the webcomicy bits, and honestly he's got enough of a track record that he could probably get a publisher to bite without actually having a manuscript in hand. I wonder why he's coming back to something he obviously doesn't particularly enjoy outside of the fact that he's figured out how to make money from it.

On a different note, does anyone really miss the gag-a-day strips? I thought they were reasonably witty, but it wasn't until he started with some continuity and longer-form stories that Achewood really took off for me. I'd be perfectly happy with updates once a week or every other week or whatever if they were longer and regular. I honestly don't care what the schedule would be as long as he picks one and sticks to the loving thing. If you're going to take six months off because you're burned out just come out and loving announce it instead of disappearing from the face of the planet.

Didn't we have this discussion last year sometime, though? I can't remember.

(no cookbook 2 yet; libel my loving rear end)

I liked his short form, mostly because it provided a constant stream of entertaining content which (I assumed) gave him more breathing room to write his longer stuff without losing readers, due to perceived inactivity. I guess it turns out the whole thing was a gigantic chore for him.

Seriously though; when he shows this huffy, melodramatic side of his personality, all I can see in my head is Jerry Lewis at his most condescending. You make funny talking cat comics, dude. Great ones- possibly the best on the internet- but still. Rein it in a little, for your own sake.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Tolan posted:

On a different note, does anyone really miss the gag-a-day strips?

I miss stuff like Friday Facts with Phillipe and strips that are just checking in on the characters' day-to-day lives. Onstad is fine at long form stuff but I feel like he excels at mundane banter between the characters - it might not be high art, but it's entertaining.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

JethroMcB posted:

I miss stuff like Friday Facts with Phillipe and strips that are just checking in on the characters' day-to-day lives. Onstad is fine at long form stuff but I feel like he excels at mundane banter between the characters - it might not be high art, but it's entertaining.
Agreed. I mean, some of my favorite strips are one-offs. And just because they were a singular instance of something doesn't mean that they're shallow comedy, or didn't rely on a fair amount of character depth.

Oh well. I'll still be happy with Achewood even if it's exclusive to less comedic long-term plotlines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Friday Facts aren't entertaining anymore (it was stale after two) and Onstad wrote too many of them.

I like the idea of Onstad having an actual plot arc mapped out that he fulfills over the course of weeks, and I bet that would be more agreeable to his crazy, jet-setting, webcomic artist lifestyle.