Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Basically the entirety of Tsawassen/Delta is amazing for birds. I've seen eagles, herons, owls, etc. Just drive along Ladner Trunk, ready to pull over any second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Now for some much more pedestrian birds from my backyard on a rare sunny day a few months ago:

Swarm of Bushtits by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Red Breasted Sapsucker by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Backyard Stellars Jay by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Wrong Feeder by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

From Mount Rainier National Park:

Stellars Jay on Mount Ranier by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Gray Jay on Mount Ranier by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

ExecuDork posted:

Dude! How have you been so unlucky? Driving home from Calgary to Saskatoon I saw several hanging out in their usual spot on top of powerline poles - they're visible from kilometres away. Go east, south, or north from Calgary and find a tertiary highway with a line of poles next to it and just drive. You'll find some for sure.
I drove from Edmonton to Jasper, with a bunch of side roads in between, specifically looking for the trademark white blob on top of trees/poles and saw nothing. :( Is there a time of day that's best?

I'm getting a little tired of chickadees. A snowy would be awesome.

From yesterday:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

InternetJunky posted:

I drove from Edmonton to Jasper, with a bunch of side roads in between, specifically looking for the trademark white blob on top of trees/poles and saw nothing. :( Is there a time of day that's best?

I'm getting a little tired of chickadees. A snowy would be awesome.
OK, that's just weird. I don't know if it's "best", but most of the snowys I've seen have been in the late afternoon or at sunset. This isn't a case of me carefully planning my photography for periods of good light, it's a case of my inherent laziness meaning I don't leave the house on a Sunday until about 2:00pm; at this time of year, at this latitude, the golden hour starts around 4:00pm.

I can't think of a 2-hour+ rural drive I've been over the last two winters where I didn't see a snowy.

On the plus side, your chickadee pics are very good.

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd
A couple from the Hawk Conservancy in Andover (England) this afternoon. My first time shooting birds that aren't sparrows or herons and a fantastic experience!

Golden Eagle by R-W-P (Hong Kong), on Flickr

Bald Eagle by R-W-P (Hong Kong), on Flickr

Snowy Owl by R-W-P (Hong Kong), on Flickr

Snowy Owl by R-W-P (Hong Kong), on Flickr

JuanChai fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 7, 2012

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

A brahminy kite and also a small bird!

IMG_6349 by like okay cool dude, on Flickr

IMG_5139 by like okay cool dude, on Flickr

sensy v2.0 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 9, 2012

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I went through some of my backlog of bird photos today. Here's a few of the better ones from various locations:

From the Everglades:

Injured Osprey by beastofexmoor, on Flickr
This guy was on the ground, being attacked by crows, when I found him. I chased them off, but he didn't look to be doing to well. It was cool to be able to get within 10ft of a raptor, but sad given the circumstances.

White Ibis by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Unknown Everglades Bird by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

From Kauai:

Nene by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

From San Antonio:

Black-Crested Titmouse by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

20120114-20120114-_MG_3644.jpg by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Red-Shouldered Hawk in Flight by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Pair of Red Shouldered Hawks by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Great Egret by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

My backyard:

Female Annas Hummingbird by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I think this is some kind of skimmer, but not sure what kind..

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Dread Head posted:

I think this is some kind of skimmer, but not sure what kind..

I did a search right after I posted it and it appears to be a Black Skimmer, albeit a rather lightly colored one. I don't know how I missed it in my bird book.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Maybe a juvie? I'm jealous you got to see one so close. One of my favorite birds because my parents had an awesome Charlie Harper print of a bunch of skimmers.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

This rear end in a top hat perched 6ft away in evening light, waited for the camera to raise, then turned and mooned me.

Yellow Rumped Indeed by Icybacon, on Flickr

Black Phoebe by Icybacon, on Flickr (Much bigger here)

I'd love to hear if this egret looks too processed to folks. I'm curious if my fear of blowing out whites makes it look underexposed or unnatural to others.

Snowy Stalking by Icybacon, on Flickr (Much bigger)

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Alpenglow posted:

This rear end in a top hat perched 6ft away in evening light, waited for the camera to raise, then turned and mooned me.

Yellow Rumped Indeed by Icybacon, on Flickr

I'd love to hear if this egret looks too processed to folks. I'm curious if my fear of blowing out whites makes it look underexposed or unnatural to others.

Snowy Stalking by Icybacon, on Flickr (Much bigger)

First one is awesome. The lighting is so good and the pose so unique that it sort of makes up for the fact that You're only seeing the bird's backside.

The egret shot looks fine to me. I went through the same thing with the shot I posted above. I decided blowing it out a bit was alright, but there's a lot less detail in the feathers on my bird.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

BeastOfExmoor posted:

From the Everglades:

Injured Osprey by beastofexmoor, on Flickr
This guy was on the ground, being attacked by crows, when I found him. I chased them off, but he didn't look to be doing to well. It was cool to be able to get within 10ft of a raptor, but sad given the circumstances.

:(

Next time, they do have raptor rehab programs, so maybe calling a park ranger would be worth a try. Then again, the species is doing well and isn't in any danger of extinction, so maybe circle of life is for the best.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

BeastOfExmoor posted:

First winter juvenile Black Skimmer.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

INTJ Mastermind posted:

:(

Next time, they do have raptor rehab programs, so maybe calling a park ranger would be worth a try. Then again, the species is doing well and isn't in any danger of extinction, so maybe circle of life is for the best.

I did actually go and talk to one of the park rangers about it (I was actually most concerned that small child would get close and be bitten, it was 20ft from a walking path), but he basically said what you said. Unless it is an endangered species they pretty much let nature take its course. Pretty sad, though. I love Osprey's :(

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Birds are assholes.

Pelicans, egrets, lots of nice birds. Very close. Behind an impenetrable barrier of brush.

A million hidden birds by torgeaux, on Flickr

Hiding Pelican by torgeaux, on Flickr

Meadowlark? Sure, he's right there in the open.

Meadowlark1 by torgeaux, on Flickr

Meadowlark2 by torgeaux, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

torgeaux posted:

Birds are assholes.

Meadowlark2 by torgeaux, on Flickr

It's like he's wagging his tail :3:

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Here are a few shots of a bird in my backyard. I'm pretty sure it's an Oriole, but I can't figure out what kind - not sure if it has some sort of juvenile coat, or if it's a hybrid, or what. We don't get a lot of snow in the Seattle area, but this guy didn't seem to mind a bit.

DSC03693 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

DSC03702 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

DSC03674 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

DSC03731 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Bob Socko posted:

Here are a few shots of a bird in my backyard. I'm pretty sure it's an Oriole, but I can't figure out what kind - not sure if it has some sort of juvenile coat, or if it's a hybrid, or what. We don't get a lot of snow in the Seattle area, but this guy didn't seem to mind a bit.

That's no Oriole. It's a juvenile male Varied Thrush, just coming into his very first breeding plumage.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Varied_Thrush/id/ac

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 21, 2012

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Welp, guess that explains why he didn't look like any Oriole I could find. Thanks!

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Hey there nature photographers! Although these aren't of course birds, there didn't seem to be a better thread.

It's squirrel appreciation day! http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/blogs/happy-squirrel-appreciation-day

One of the only animals I've shot that can move significantly between a pre-flash and the main flash. Goddamn things making me use FV lock :argh:

This little guy managed to almost blink before the main flash. I think it improved the facial expression though.

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 22, 2012

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
We really need a wildlife thread...

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Dread Head posted:

We really need a wildlife thread...

Workin' on it! In the meantime, those are some nice squirrel pics, mine were only ever from my balcony and kinda sucked.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I celebrated Squirrel Appreciation day the way I celebrate any saturday, by letting my dog out so she could try to catch and eat them.

20100828-IMG_4754.jpg by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

One More Try by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

SoundMonkey posted:

Workin' on it! In the meantime, those are some nice squirrel pics, mine were only ever from my balcony and kinda sucked.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Creative Convention > The Dorkroom > Wildlife Photography: Zooming with your feet may get you mauled

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Creative Convention > The Dorkroom > Wildlife Photography: Zooming with your feet may get you mauled

Excellent squirrel appreciation photos! Giving the OP overnight to respond before I change the thread title to this :v:

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Well, if this is now the bird AND squirrel thread . . .

DSC01316 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

DSC01321 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

DSC01324 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Christ, everyone has so many better squirrel pics than me.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Squirrel Eye by Icybacon, on Flickr

Other than tree rats, I think this is a (very friendly) Hutton's Vireo.

Vireo by Icybacon, on Flickr

And an even friendlier pigeon.

Scary Pigeon Eye by Icybacon, on Flickr

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Squirrel time:

Sometimes squirrels get pretty tired:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I'd like a wildlife thread, but separate from birds. This thread has enough traffic, supports itself quite well. I'd hate to see it overwhelmed with squirrel shots, although the torgeaux photography theorem states, "Every shot of a squirrel is a good photograph."

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Went on a mission to find snowy owls again yesterday. Nearly drove into the ditch a few times because I was staring at the tops of trees and poles as I drove, but absolutely no luck finding any snowys :(

$30 in gas later I give you my only shot of the day, a poorly lit and horribly noisy grouse I spotted cleverly hidden at the top of a tree without any cover:

And since the current theme is squirrels I'll just repost my most recent squirrel shot.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

I see you guys are doing squirrels now. :colbert:

300/4 IS, 1.4x, handheld 1/30th second.

Another 300/4 shot. I didn't keep the lens for very long and apparently I mostly shot squirrels with it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
^^ love that second one especially!

Shooting squirrels, for n00bs, using camera.

Squirrel by hookshot88, on Flickr

Squirrel by hookshot88, on Flickr

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

torgeaux posted:

I'd like a wildlife thread, but separate from birds. This thread has enough traffic, supports itself quite well. I'd hate to see it overwhelmed with squirrel shots, although the torgeaux photography theorem states, "Every shot of a squirrel is a good photograph."

I'm partial to this as well. No reason they can't coexist.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Solved, I have made a new wildlife thread. If anyone feels like it needs a proper OP maybe we can put something together. I feel like it is pretty much the same as the one in this thread.

Wildlife Photography: Zooming with your feet may get you mauled

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Dread Head posted:

Solved, I have made a new wildlife thread. If anyone feels like it needs a proper OP maybe we can put something together. I feel like it is pretty much the same as the one in this thread.

Wildlife Photography: Zooming with your feet may get you mauled

Great- thanks for doing this. I'm happy to have both threads, and will probably cross-post if I have something that fits both the birds (maybe also cross-posting in the macro thread if it is a bug shot).

One thing you might add to the OP is to look for the GBS Critterquest threads if you have a crappy pic and just want help identifying the animal in question. But maybe that is already a given for Dorkroom threads.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The ravens are back! And still generally avoiding my camera!

SD 086 1 Raven by Execudork, on Flickr
Also, I think I'll avoid stopping on narrow highways for owl shots, if all I'm going to do is mis-focus anyways.

SD 086 2 Snowy Owl by Execudork, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
So, shooting landscapes and have exposure comp set at -2/3s? Sure. Tricolor egret lands in tree above you? Don't bother to change exposure.

tricolor egret by torgeaux, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Nothing in the northwest feels particularly photogenic this time of year, so it's more bird photos I suppose.

Wood Ducks in Juanita Bay by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

20120123-Red Tailed Hawk 2x2.jpg by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Ruby Crowned Kinglet2 by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Ruby Crowned Kinglet by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Marymoor Spotted Towhee by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Spencer Island Spotted Towhee by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Spencer Island Fox Sparrow by beastofexmoor, on Flickr