Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Well poo poo, Bob Holness died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
2012 already off to a pretty crappy start :(

Jawidar
Feb 17, 2007
Awww, I used to love Blockbusters and was watching it on Challenge just the other day. I always liked how he treated the kids with a bit of respect and had a laugh with them. :(

Edit: not to forget he also played James Bond! (on the radio...)

Jawidar fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 6, 2012

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

And he played saxophone on the song Baker Street, according to that random rumour I heard in school.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Fishbus posted:

I sort of get his schtick though, it's tolerable sometimes, at least when I remember him a couple of years ago before he made loads of appearances on shows. He was quite subtle and not so fourthright in his campness

There's a difference between being camp and just acting like kind of an uppity dick. You don't see John Barrowman or Graham Norton getting visibly pissed off over a contest on a TV show (though give Norton a few more years of doing Eurovision and he might crack, I guess).

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Bogmonster posted:

And he played saxophone on the song Baker Street, according to that random rumour I heard in school.

It's [unfortunately] not actually true, according to wikipedia anyway https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Holness#Baker_Street

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Nick Hewer is taking over as presenter on Countdown. That role really is a perfect fit for him. I hope he can still do his thing in The Apprentice as well though :ohdear:

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
I'll have a pee please, Bob :(

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
If I'm honest I thought he was already dead.

Still RIP.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm-6XaHHZW0

Best intro sequence for anything in the history of ever. I've no idea how Bob or the rest of the show managed to follow it, but somehow they did.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Angels + Legal Drama + ITV = cold, undead corpse wandering about listlessly.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

ChuckDHead posted:

There's a difference between being camp and just acting like kind of an uppity dick. You don't see John Barrowman or Graham Norton getting visibly pissed off over a contest on a TV show (though give Norton a few more years of doing Eurovision and he might crack, I guess).

I did crack a OH SNAP laugh when he was going on about his channel swim and then when Carr mentioned izzard did something like 40 marathons last year Eddie just shrugged it off as no biggie and said something along the lines of "good for you" to Walliams. Such a modest fellow that Izzard, but drat... burn.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Bolt, Ratatouille and Wall-e are all currently showing on iPlayer.

All pretty great films so get them while they're hot (Except wall-e, that always seems to be showing up on iplayer every few weeks)

Morose Man
Jul 8, 2011
I've just finished watching Public Enemies on iplayer. Not a bad watch although I was enjoying it a lot before the bizarrely feelgood ending in an otherwise unrelentingly grim story. It felt almost like reading a Stephen King slasher that ended "and then they all went round Abigail's house and had cake.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
In case anyone's wondering... never watch Musicians. Edit: Magicians! Jesus. It was so bad it ruined my beautiful mind.

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 7, 2012

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008
Anybody watching big brother? Michael Madson just question Natasha Giggs about her affair, it was gloriously awkward.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Bioalchemist posted:

Anybody watching big brother? Michael Madson just question Natasha Giggs about her affair, it was gloriously awkward.

it's bizarre that they got Michael Madsen, he's an actual famous person and has acted in critically and commercially successful films. And he's speaking to a woman who is famous for shagging somebody a lot

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Paperhouse posted:

it's bizarre that they got Michael Madsen, he's an actual famous person and has acted in critically and commercially successful films. And he's speaking to a woman who is famous for shagging somebody a lot

Yeah but for a long time he's been doing straight to dvd films, bad ones. So I can see how they could have gotten him.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Morose Man posted:

I've just finished watching Public Enemies on iplayer. Not a bad watch although I was enjoying it a lot before the bizarrely feelgood ending in an otherwise unrelentingly grim story. It felt almost like reading a Stephen King slasher that ended "and then they all went round Abigail's house and had cake.
They undid a lot of good-work with the last 10 seconds. It'd have worked a lot better if they left it as unrequited love.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Digital Scumbag posted:

Did anyone see Donald Sutherland, Eddie Izzard, and Elijah Wood in "Treasure Island" on Sky? About 3 hours without commercials, and fairly entertaining if only because nothing else was on.

Eddie Izzard... as Long John Silver. :psyduck:

Eddie Izzard owns. Also Gene Hunt is as good as captain as he is a DCI. Just started watching second part now and they made the best use of Elijah Wood.

Kraxis
May 14, 2007
The Only Connect champion of champions special. The last round was words that begin with three vowels! And they managed to actually get some of them, some people just know too much stuff.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
I actually thought of "aoili" when the topic came up, but forgot by the time the word came up, gah!

Morose Man
Jul 8, 2011

Pablo Bluth posted:

They undid a lot of good-work with the last 10 seconds. It'd have worked a lot better if they left it as unrequited love.

Well quite. They very nearly made Scum but in the last few seconds it turned out they'd made a forgettable romance drama instead.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Squalitude posted:

In case anyone's wondering... never watch Musicians. Edit: Magicians! Jesus. It was so bad it ruined my beautiful mind.

I had it on in the background while building my pc it didn't seem that bad.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Kraxis posted:

The Only Connect champion of champions special.

Haha it's quite telling that I get more annoyed at people spoiling Only Connect rounds than actual plot details of shows.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

You can stream live from iPlayer right?

I want to watch the new Sherlock tonight and I'm not at home.

How do you do it?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

PriorMarcus posted:

How do you do it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/tv/bbc_one_london/watchlive

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

How do you do it?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/tv/bbc_one_london/watchlive
The picture quality isn't that good though.

CrackDealer
May 12, 2001
Just some in-valid
tvcatchup.com is the other option.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Thanks everyone. The picture quality isn't that great, but it's better than nothing.

Morose Man
Jul 8, 2011
Sherlock S2 E2 starts on the BBC in 5 minutes.

I know this because it's the first TV programme in about 5 years that I've thought I'll make an effort to watch as soon as it is broadcast rather than using Youtube or iplayer.

The Guardian seem to be even more excited than I am:

Guardian posted:

this three-part series, which continues tonight, and unless you have a terribly good excuse not to watch – supper with an aspiring French actress or, I don't know, for the women, helping George Clooney steal a boat full of shoes and sail to sunny warm – I despair of you.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Morose Man posted:

Sherlock S2 E2 starts on the BBC in 5 minutes.

I know this because it's the first TV programme in about 5 years that I've thought I'll make an effort to watch as soon as it is broadcast rather than using Youtube or iplayer.

Me too. Right now it's only this and Doctor Who that I absolutely have to watch when it airs rather than just saying "oh, I'll watch it on iPlayer".

That said, that's mainly because "I'll watch it on iPlayer" coming from me usually just means "I probably won't ever watch it unless it's on repeats on TV", and this show is way too good for that.

Also if anyone else is up too late, C4 has Bill Bailey interviewing Jessica Hynes about comedy.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I hope I'm not the only one who thinks Simon Pegg and Bill Bailey should team up and write something new for Channel 4?

Kraxis
May 14, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

I hope I'm not the only one who thinks Simon Pegg and Bill Bailey should team up and write something new for Channel 4?

Does this mean Simon Pegg and Bill Bailey have teamed up and written something for C4 before?

Morose Man
Jul 8, 2011
I think he just means it would be nice if Channel 4 had something new written for it, especially if done by talented people.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Morose Man posted:

I think he just means it would be nice if Channel 4 had something new written for it, especially if done by talented people.

Seriously. It has been so long :(.

Remember when Graham Linehan was serious about the IT Crowd and when Black Books waa going strong? good times.

At least 4oD has all the good stuff archived on it.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Anyone else enjoying The Hotel? (8pm on Sunday, C4) It's one of my favourite things on telly at the moment; not at all demanding, usually pretty amusing, and manages to depict the brash idiocy of one man without being overly malicious.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The Perfect Element posted:

Anyone else enjoying The Hotel? (8pm on Sunday, C4) It's one of my favourite things on telly at the moment; not at all demanding, usually pretty amusing, and manages to depict the brash idiocy of one man without being overly malicious.

Hang on a second....

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

The Perfect Element posted:

The first series was pretty good. Set in a different hotel but you really came to like some of the characters in the end. Was disapointed when I found out this series was in a different hotel but that first episode was enjoyable. The manager seems useless!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

So netflix was released in the UK today. It looks..... pretty poo poo at the moment.