Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Anal Tributary posted:

Is there anything less buggy than BetterTouchTool for remapping trackpad gestures? I just map three-finger click to middle mouse click in Chrome because it doesn't natively support three-finger click -> open in new tab. Thing is BTT is annoying as hell: it refuses to start up when I log in, no matter how many times I add it to login items, and it only works for maybe half of the clicks I do. Is there another program that works better for the same thing?

I use jitouch to re-enter the 21st century, where having a middle mouse button/3-finger tap to open new tabs is a no-brainer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

withak posted:

My colloquy window casts a shadow.

edit: Though the connections window does not.

Both of mine do, although the connections window's shadow is very small, and only easily noticeable at the bottom edge.

Which is a bit weird, as it at the bottom it's canted off to the right a bit, but there's drat near nothing on the right edge, where it should be [roughly] equally visible.

That said, tell me more about jitouch. From its website, I'm not seeing anything different from BTT, except that their defaults are different from what I've already set myself.

(Also, cmd+click is nicely ingrained in my head as it is.)

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Rated PG-34 posted:

Canada finally has iTunes Match. Too bad it's a buggy piece of poo poo. A quarter of the way through the upload process, my connection fails so that I have to re-scan my whole collection and start the upload process again from scratch :ughh:

Sorry your Canadian Internet connection sucks. :smug:

Seriously though, iTunes match does have some problems, but I really, really like it now that I've used it a few months. I'm sure by this time next year, it'll be a lot better of an experience, but it's definitely worth the $25 right now.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Vertigus posted:

I use jitouch to re-enter the 21st century, where having a middle mouse button/3-finger tap to open new tabs is a no-brainer.

Thanks for the suggestion, but jtouch seems to break tap-to-click randomly, like every 4th or 5th tap just doesn't register at all.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Vertigus posted:

Holy poo poo thanks for this. I had the same issues with three-finger click and BTT not working half the time and thought it was a lost cause. jitouch seems to work every time for me reliably. (I prefer clicks to taps) I thought I was doomed to ctrl-click forever :(

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Just fyi, yesterday apple launched an update that broke duplex printing on some brother, like the hl5130dn. The way to fix this problem is to remove the printer in system preference, install the brother driver you can find on :http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/index.html. then you need to add the printer.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

PDP-1 posted:

Yep, the font files have no extensions at all, and there was a folder with a _BlahBlah style name that came along with the original package. Being a Mac idiot I assumed that that folder was just some kind of OSX junk and deleted it, but apparently that was both dumb and wrong.

I'll get another copy of the original files from the designer on Monday and I'll check the resource fork stuff to see if I deleted important things. My system is Win7/Linux so I'll also look into the FontForge thing in the meantime.

Thanks so much for this! Googling for a non-existent file extension is kind of hard, and it's great to have a solid lead to work from.
Yeah if those are older resource fork era fonts you just wiped them out :downs:. That said I'm not sure if they'd work in Win/Linux even if they were there, but I haven't messed with that kind of stuff in a while. If you just need to look over the output and not mess with anything, get her to output to PDF-X if possible, it's supposed to embed everything.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

maduin posted:

Sorry your Canadian Internet connection sucks. :smug:

Seriously though, iTunes match does have some problems, but I really, really like it now that I've used it a few months. I'm sure by this time next year, it'll be a lot better of an experience, but it's definitely worth the $25 right now.

I'm fairly certain that this isn't a connection issue or at least it isn't one on my end. I think iTunes Match is just barfing because it's a buggy piece of poo poo.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

I had problems with the initial iTunes Match upload, not because of iTunes Match itself but because my cable modem kept making GBS threads itself and restarting constantly when iTunes pegged the upload at 6MB/sec for more than a few seconds. Fortunately, there is a way to fix this!

In a terminal, run:
code:
sudo ipfw pipe 1 config bw ###Kbit/s
...where ### is whatever you want to cap upload speed at. You can also say 2Mbit/s or something like that. Once that's done, run:
code:
sudo ipfw add 1 pipe 1 dst-port 443
...to cap the maximum speed you can send data to port 443 (iTunes Match uses HTTPS) at whatever you set the pipe to be. Once you're done, run:
code:
sudo ipfw delete 1
...to revert the changes.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

withak posted:

My colloquy window casts a shadow.

edit: Though the connections window does not.

If you minimize it and then bring it back by clicking on its preview icon in the right hand side of the dock, does it still have a shadow? That seems to be what makes mine lose it's shadow :(

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
on iTunes Match: I'd be pretty surprised if it was actually restarting the upload of your collection from scratch. I had to run it a few times, do some weird loving toggling and poo poo to get it to go, but eventually it all went up. Now on my phone, it can be a little sketchy especially depending on the service when I have it stream over 3g. I will sometimes tap one song and have its play screen come up and have a different song actually play back. It will sometimes assign random album art to things. All in all it's pretty disappointing for Apple. It's the first time I've had access to my whole library on my phone like this, so I do like it when it actually works.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

If you minimize it and then bring it back by clicking on its preview icon in the right hand side of the dock, does it still have a shadow? That seems to be what makes mine lose it's shadow :(

I'm not sure what preview icon you mean, but the shadow is still there after a bunch of minimizing and maximizing.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
This photo library/inspiration app is free today:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sparkbox/id488652149?mt=12

Downloaded it and it's a bit terrible. The concept is nice but it's glitchy as hell (text entry can sometimes freeze/disappear but enter your typing anyway so you don't know what's going on, autocomplete wipes out banks of tags etc...). However, I really need something like that - something I can archive my reference library in. I could just use Inspector to tag all my images in preview and search via spotlight, but this prog would be more useful, if it were any good.

Would love some recommendations on something that's reliable and does a similar job. Happy to pay.

E: running 10.6.8, in case that makes a difference.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
There are certain directories in my home directory that I want to share with my wife's user account on the same machine. When I share the directory, it allows her to see the contents, but she can't open any of the media. If I apply the changes to all contents, she can open the videos that are in the folder, but not any new videos that I add.

Is there any simple way for me to share these ever changing files and directories with another user account?

I'm running Lion, BTW. Thanks!

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Anal Tributary posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, but jtouch seems to break tap-to-click randomly, like every 4th or 5th tap just doesn't register at all.

Are you sure there's not some issue with your trackpad? I only use tap-to-click and I haven't had any problems.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

dexter6 posted:

There are certain directories in my home directory that I want to share with my wife's user account on the same machine. When I share the directory, it allows her to see the contents, but she can't open any of the media. If I apply the changes to all contents, she can open the videos that are in the folder, but not any new videos that I add.

Is there any simple way for me to share these ever changing files and directories with another user account?

I'm running Lion, BTW. Thanks!
Maybe something with ACLs or other stuff that's over my head. Have you tried using /Users/Shared? I'm not sure that'll solve the problem of new files being unreadable by her but it's worth a shot, unless you have other users on the computer that you don't want to share with.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

japtor posted:

Maybe something with ACLs or other stuff that's over my head. Have you tried using /Users/Shared? I'm not sure that'll solve the problem of new files being unreadable by her but it's worth a shot, unless you have other users on the computer that you don't want to share with.
/Users/Shared works fine, but I was hoping to retain the standard OS X home directory setup.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

EDIT: Hey look, this isn't the SOPA thread in this tab anymore!

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Can anyone recommend an app that I can use to make some nice-looking charts and graphs for a brochure? Searched MacUpdate but didn't come up with anything that looked great.

Alternatively, Excel actually does a decent job of this, but if anyone knows of a way to export print-quality images of them from Excel (other than the somewhat obnoxious and imperfect print-to-PDF), that'd be awesome.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I think Omni makes some app specifically for fancy charts and graphs so look them up. Otherwise the iWork suite has a trial (Numbers can output fancy stuff), but I'm not sure if the export options are any better. Print layouts are a lot easier in it than Excel though so that might work.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
A couple of days ago when starting up my MacBook Pro (late-2008, 15"), the shift key was suddenly stuck. Therefore it constantly boots in safe mode and I can't log in because I use lower case letters in my password. I can override it by plugging in a USB keyboard, but as soon as I touch the MacBook's keyboard, the shift key is stuck again.

When I look at the Keyboard Viewer (I'm not sure that's what it's called in English, but I mean the graphic display of your keyboard that shows which buttons are being pressed) I can see that it's the left shift key that's the problem. When I write on the USB keyboard it isn't pressed down, but when I jump back on the MacBook keyboard, it gets stuck.

It's out of warranty but I googled the problem and noticed a couple of other people have had the same issue with the same model as mine. I'm gonna call Apple on Monday and check if they've heard of it, but has anyone here experienced the same thing?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Does Lion still install a poo poo ton of printer drivers like the older versions of OSX did?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Does Lion still install a poo poo ton of printer drivers like the older versions of OSX did?
It comes with an optional install package for a poo poo-ton of printers, but it only seems like it install maybe a poo poo-kilo of them by default.

japtor posted:

I think Omni makes some app specifically for fancy charts and graphs so look them up.
To follow up on this, OmniGraph Sketcher does this for charts, although it's more geared towards you designing graphs than feeding data into them (but it can do that too). It's very quick and easy if you have a specific graph in mind that you want to display but don't have the data or equation to generate it. It's really an illustration program that is highly focus on graphs, rather than a data grapher the likes of which you'll find in Excel or Numbers.

Even for what it does, though, it's fairly rudimentary. For more advanced stuff (still more design-oriented than actually data-driven), OmniGraffle will probably do it. Both are available in the Mac (and iPad) App store.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Tippis posted:

It comes with an optional install package for a poo poo-ton of printers, but it only seems like it install maybe a poo poo-kilo of them by default.

Where can I get this?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Vertigus posted:

Are you sure there's not some issue with your trackpad? I only use tap-to-click and I haven't had any problems.

I dunno. I set it to lowest sensitivity and used it with my Magic Trackpad and it just seemed like it was dropping taps. Been fine since I stopped running it :iiam:

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Rubiks Pubes posted:

No. It detects your printer and downloads the drivers you need for that specific model.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Eight Is Legend posted:

A couple of days ago when starting up my MacBook Pro (late-2008, 15"), the shift key was suddenly stuck.
Does it do this even if you pop the keycap off? There's no crud under there or anything?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Lazyhound posted:

Does anyone know why my hosts file would reset itself every time I reboot? It's been doing this since I upgraded to Lion. I've found reference to the issue on Google, but no solution/explanation. This is what the file perms look like:

cd /private/etc && ls -al posted:

code:
-rw-r--r--    1 root    wheel        489  3 Jan 21:37 hosts
Anyone have a clue on this one?

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

TACD posted:

Does it do this even if you pop the keycap off? There's no crud under there or anything?

I actually haven't - I popped off the Caps Lock key since I initially thought that was the issue, but I'll try the shift key.

bing_commander
Aug 14, 2009

In other news..
Does anybody here know of some software that will allow me to make rapid screen captures? Something that will automatically take a screenshot every second or half second.

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust

Lazyhound posted:

Anyone have a clue on this one?

The permissions on my hosts file are the same. However, I noticed you were looking at the hosts file in /private/etc which I had no idea existed. After I did cat /private/etc I noticed it was identical to /etc/hosts, despite the fact that I have only ever edited /etc/hosts. So it seems plausible that /etc/hosts is the master hosts file which gets copied to /private/etc/hosts? Or I'm talking out of my rear end. At any rate, try changing /etc/hosts instead, and if that doesn't work change the permissions of all your hosts files to -r--r--r--

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

Cockwhore posted:

At any rate, try changing /etc/hosts instead, and if that doesn't work change the permissions of all your hosts files to -r--r--r--

I'm not sure what /private is for; the hier(7) man page doesn't mention it and the URL it points to on Apple's developer site is a 404. I'm about to get on a plane so I can't look into it more.

FWIW though, /etc is just a symlink to /private/etc so it doesn't matter which you edit.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Danger Kick posted:

Does anybody here know of some software that will allow me to make rapid screen captures? Something that will automatically take a screenshot every second or half second.

QuickTime player (at least in Lion) will let you record a movie of the screen. Is there a reason you specifically need screenshots instead of that?

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

Choadmaster posted:

Can anyone recommend an app that I can use to make some nice-looking charts and graphs for a brochure? Searched MacUpdate but didn't come up with anything that looked great.

Alternatively, Excel actually does a decent job of this, but if anyone knows of a way to export print-quality images of them from Excel (other than the somewhat obnoxious and imperfect print-to-PDF), that'd be awesome.

Adobe Illustrator, maybe Numbers, but I prefer LaTeX and PGF/TikZ and PGF Plots. Depends on what you want the end results to specifically look like. Might be more of a learning curve than you're looking for though.

Umbriago
Aug 27, 2004

On my old Macbook I downloaded some file which gave me a UK English dictionary and changed my keyboard from a US one to a UK one (some keys are different). I want to do the same thing on my new Macbook, but have no idea what I did. Can anyone help? Changing the language settings under International hasn't worked...

bing_commander
Aug 14, 2009

In other news..

CaptainCaveman posted:

QuickTime player (at least in Lion) will let you record a movie of the screen. Is there a reason you specifically need screenshots instead of that?

I'm making animated gifs and this would save me the step of exporting the frames. And I don't have to worry about compression.

I'm still on the lookout for some software that will give me more control, but I'm using a terminal command that will do the job right now.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Is there an app or setting so all the applications are set to the same sound level?

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away
I have a few hundred files in different folders that need to be moved into the same folder. Many of the files have the same filename, so I want to add the current folder name to the beginning of the filename. Is there anything I can do in automator to fix this?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm going to ask here instead of IYG.

A friend of mine just got a new iMac, her first computer in years since she's been broke more or less. The thing is, she has an iPhone 4 running iOS 5, and it's been synched up to her work computer since she's not had a computer for home.

I told her to hold off on synching her iPhone to her new iMac as I am worried that it will wipe out all of her phone's addresses, photos, etc. Is there a way she can backup her iPhone to her work's iMac and then transfer the information to her new home iMac, and if so, how?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So now that globalSAN is a paid product, are there any free iSCSI initiators that work with Lion?

Why can't they just build this into the OS already? :(