Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

malal posted:

And now, a tutorial on how to paint Great Gargant feet!

Your Gargant has Aladdin slippers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
They look like boats. Now I imagine your Gargant waterskating across the sea.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
How about some painting inspiration:

Nice looking Ork:

Nice looking dude man:

This isnt a mini but I was so astounded when I saw it I will post it anywhere I can, I would not consider it NSFW but just in case:

:nws:http://oi41.tinypic.com/ehxcly.jpg

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

malal posted:

What are the ankles? They look like giant Inquisition "I"s, but they have barcodes on them.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

How about some painting inspiration:

Nice looking Ork:

:orks:

This isnt a mini but I was so astounded when I saw it I will post it anywhere I can, I would not consider it NSFW but just in case:

:nws:http://oi41.tinypic.com/ehxcly.jpg

Wow, not just an Ork in Terminator Armor that actually looks good, but a subtle Nurgle theme at the same time?

Not even a hint of lady parts in that last photo, so it isn't NSFW at all.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

What are the ankles? They look like giant Inquisition "I"s, but they have barcodes on them.

the base of the water-skating-alladin feet is electrical boxes. I should have most of the hull exterior done in the next few days.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Post 9-11 User posted:

Not even a hint of lady parts in that last photo, so it isn't NSFW at all.

Most bosses and co-workers aren't going to stop and check for nipples before getting offended or writing you up over a naked woman wrapped in cellophane.

Is that weird man's head done in wax?

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
Finally got a camera, so here's some pictures of my terminator chaplain

I notice now that I take close-up pictures that my paints really get sludgly, how do I counter this? thinning the paints before painting?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Thin your paints! That white is entirely too sludgy. Thin your paint down and paint multiple thin coats instead of one thick coat.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Greggster posted:

I notice now that I take close-up pictures that my paints really get sludgly, how do I counter this? thinning the paints before painting?

Yup, thin them and use multiple thin coats if necessary. Going to white over black will be easier if you use an intermediary coat of gray or a foundation color like dheneb stone.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Greggster posted:

I'm not trying to insult you in any way, but when I saw this the first thing I thought of was that you dipped the model's head in frosting :allears:

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Business Gorillas posted:

I'm not trying to insult you in any way, but when I saw this the first thing I thought of was that you dipped the model's head in frosting :allears:

No offense taken, that's what I thought too when I took the picture. :)

SRM posted:

Thin your paints! That white is entirely too sludgy. Thin your paint down and paint multiple thin coats instead of one thick coat.

Will do that on all future models then!

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Greggster posted:

Will do that on all future models then!

Get some Simple Green, or Super Clean, dunk that bastard for an hour, and rinse him off, and start over!

No harm in repainting the same model several times until you get it the way you want it.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

moths posted:

Most bosses and co-workers aren't going to stop and check for nipples before getting offended or writing you up over a naked woman wrapped in cellophane.

Is that weird man's head done in wax?

Think its just the effect they have achieved with the paint, I have seen some pretty impressive busts (boom boom) recently, this is one of the best I have seen.

There are some other oil paintings by the guy who did the lady in cellophane, I don't understand how long you would have to spend on the picture to get it almost photo perfect.

Here is the step by step:

Limp Wristed Limey fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 7, 2012

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.

Greggster posted:

I also think you should strip it, there's nothing wrong with starting over (very so on a cool model like that). I think I stripped my warboss three times before I was happy with it. I might do it again, looking at it now.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

:tviv: ...I thought it was a photo and paid it no mind. :aaaaa:

(also, love the terminator ork and the weird man-this one looks perfect for an AdMech)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Think its just the effect they have achieved with the paint, I have seen some pretty impressive busts (boom boom) recently, this is one of the best I have seen.

There are some other oil paintings by the guy who did the lady in cellophane, I don't understand how long you would have to spend on the picture to get it almost photo perfect.

I have a lot of respect for photorealism, but sometimes being a good painter is knowing when to stop, and step 4 is a better painting than step 8.

OPINIONS ABOUT ART IN THE THREAD

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

PaintVagrant posted:

I have a lot of respect for photorealism, but sometimes being a good painter is knowing when to stop, and step 4 is a better painting than step 8.

Better painting in terms of artistic expression maybe, but in terms of technical skill step 8 is mindblowing. I too didn't even think it was anything but a photo.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

PaintVagrant posted:

Word.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Dominion posted:

Better painting in terms of artistic expression maybe, but in terms of technical skill step 8 is mindblowing. I too didn't even think it was anything but a photo.

Nothing PV couldn't do :colbert:

Right... right...?

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

PaintVagrant posted:

Well the guy is doing a gallery of his photo realistic oils. You might be able to argue that step 4 would be the better finished piece but ultimately that is not what he wants to achieve and would not match his other pieces. One more from him and I am done:

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Not that it isn't loving impressive, but he really just painted crumpled tin foil? :rolleyes:

:ninja: I suppose it's sort of anthropomorphic in a 'dude squatting for a poo poo' kind of way.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Holy poo poo, I thought that chick was a photo

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It is technically impressive, but the artistic equivalent of that dude airbrushing NMM all over his Grey Knights.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Yeah me too. I was wondering what was so impressive about a naked woman in a plastic bag. Very impressive.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

NecronSchmecron posted:

Not that it isn't loving impressive, but he really just painted crumpled tin foil? :rolleyes:

The crumpled tinfoil likely isn't because it's SO DEEP, it's like other super realistic oil painters doing poo poo with water or glass.

Because it's ridiculously difficult and shows an insane amount of skill to be able to pull something off like that. It's tin-foil because it's reflective. It's crumpled so it gives off hundreds of tiny facets and different reflections.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Buffalo squeeze posted:

I also think you should strip it, there's nothing wrong with starting over (very so on a cool model like that). I think I stripped my warboss three times before I was happy with it. I might do it again, looking at it now.

I think I might do that after I've painted all the models I have (24 of them, I'm glad I dont' play IG or Orks :ohdear:), I'll have to find a suitable replacement for simple green though, can't buy that here. :sweden:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Is there a spray paint that is close to Kommando Khaki? Painting my Chimera is not very fun right now. :(

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

That's how proper OSL is done. :v:

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Naramyth posted:

Is there a spray paint that is close to Kommando Khaki? Painting my Chimera is not very fun right now. :(

Army Painter makes two colored primers that might work: Desert Yellow and Skeleton Bone.

I've never used Army Painter products though, so I can't make any claims as to their effectiveness, though.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Naramyth posted:

If you're lucky, you can find Rustoleum ultra-flat camouflage at Walmart. 1917830 Khaki looks like a good fit, but I haven't tried it. I used to go with Krylon's camouflage, but they've since changed to their Fusion formula, which (as far as I can tell) "instantly bonds with plastic" by having solvents mixed with the paint.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

NecronSchmecron posted:

I have the same reaction to my friends work. I think it's kind of lame to work so directly from photos like that and would rather see him be more creative, but his recent exhibition was hosted by the Finnish Embassy, so what the gently caress do I know about art? I have a deviantArt account. He has stuff in galleries.

But I paint warhams better than he does, and my father wasn't even an accomplished painter, so whatever, man. :colbert:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Hermetic posted:

Army Painter makes two colored primers that might work: Desert Yellow and Skeleton Bone.

I've never used Army Painter products though, so I can't make any claims as to their effectiveness, though.

I have both of those, they are not even close. :(

moths posted:

If you're lucky, you can find Rustoleum ultra-flat camouflage at Walmart. 1917830 Khaki looks like a good fit, but I haven't tried it. I used to go with Krylon's camouflage, but they've since changed to their Fusion formula, which (as far as I can tell) "instantly bonds with plastic" by having solvents mixed with the paint.

Awesome, I'll check this out.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Well the guy is doing a gallery of his photo realistic oils. You might be able to argue that step 4 would be the better finished piece but ultimately that is not what he wants to achieve and would not match his other pieces. One more from him and I am done:

Ceci n'est pas une foil

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Is there a list somewhere of which colors from different manufacturers correspond to each other, like which generics can be substituted for which GW paints, for example? The only link in the OP that seems relevant to that is broken (the silicon-dragons one).

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

JerryLee posted:

Is there a list somewhere of which colors from different manufacturers correspond to each other, like which generics can be substituted for which GW paints, for example? The only link in the OP that seems relevant to that is broken (the silicon-dragons one).

There's one on dakkadakka (google for dakkadakka color chart) but its far from complete. If you have specific GW colors in mind people may be able to suggest alternatives.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Dominion posted:

There's one on dakkadakka (google for dakkadakka color chart) but its far from complete. If you have specific GW colors in mind people may be able to suggest alternatives.

Nothing so specific, unfortunately; I'm more looking for a reference to have on hand than having a specific query in mind right now. I guess I can always come back to the thread with questions as I have them but I'm sure it'd be less annoying for both me and the thread if there was a resource somewhere.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will look that up.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

PaintVagrant posted:

Vgc scurf green + menoth white highlight

Do you mean VGC Scurvy Green? I went looking for Scurf Green earlier and I couldn't find it :saddowns:

Carolus
Dec 21, 2009

JerryLee posted:

A drat shame that site isnt up anymore Ive used it extensively.

Is there an alternative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Greggster posted:

I think I might do that after I've painted all the models I have (24 of them, I'm glad I dont' play IG or Orks :ohdear:), I'll have to find a suitable replacement for simple green though, can't buy that here. :sweden:

Don't worry, it's just a fancy schmancy foreign name for grönsåpa. :sweden:

• Locked thread