Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

unixbeard posted:

yo to any aussies here, are there any good places to get film/processing chems, either in Sydney or online.

in other news €150 worth of MF film went missing from my luggage going from Berlin -> Sydney :(

You should be able to get colour chems from Vanbar, it still comes out cheaper than getting someone else to do it, but it still aint cheap!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
Who could I contact about repairing the rangefinder of a Voigtlander Vitessa? Loving this camera more than I thought I would, so would love to get it working as accurately as possible.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

scottch posted:

Who could I contact about repairing the rangefinder of a Voigtlander Vitessa? Loving this camera more than I thought I would, so would love to get it working as accurately as possible.

I'd contact Essex Camera Services and Youxin Ye.

I've never sent anything to Youxin, but he's very inexpensive and I've heard nothing but great things about his work. I've asked him questions a few times over email and he always responds quickly. He's primarily a Leica guy so he may not be familiar with the Vitessa, but it's worth asking. I had Essex repair a rangefinder lens once - they did a great job, though the turnaround time was pretty slow. Their rates are pretty reasonable.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
Thanks, I'm happy to wait it out for a well-priced quality repair. Running some film through it first though to make sure it's all worth it.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!
Stock up on your HC-110, everyone!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203471004577140841495542810.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

quote:

Eastman Kodak Co. is preparing for a Chapter 11 bankruptcy-protection filing in the coming weeks should efforts to sell a trove of digital patents fall through, people familiar with the matter said.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

So when Kodak is finally dead only 400H will exist for C-41 color in 120?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I'm upset about losing Tri-X, but yeah, losing HC-110 is a damned close second.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Hopefully their film division spins off as a separate entity or gets bought over by Fuji or someone else.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

alkanphel posted:

Hopefully their film division spins off as a separate entity or gets bought over by Fuji or someone else.

Is the film division actually making money? Seems like they're the only guys making stuff people want.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

HPL posted:

Is the film division actually making money? Seems like they're the only guys making stuff people want.

Yep, the film guys are actually making more cash year by year these days. I've heard an interview with one of the film bosses at the 2011 PDN, and he said that in 2011 the Kodak film devision made the entire 2010 equivalent revenue by the end of September. The years prior to 2011 they had seen modest growth, but 2011 was the first year they've seen a really strong growth in sales, so I'm gonna keep positive about all this.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Maybe a good move by Kodak would be to give up on digital point and shoots and start making Lomo-style cameras instead?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I bought $350 worth of Portra just in case. :sweatdrop:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Spedman posted:

Yep, the film guys are actually making more cash year by year these days. I've heard an interview with one of the film bosses at the 2011 PDN, and he said that in 2011 the Kodak film devision made the entire 2010 equivalent revenue by the end of September. The years prior to 2011 they had seen modest growth, but 2011 was the first year they've seen a really strong growth in sales, so I'm gonna keep positive about all this.
Yeah that's why I can see the film division becoming a separate entity if they got a private investor or something to buy them out. Just that it probably won't be called Kodak film anymore.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

HPL posted:

Maybe a good move by Kodak would be to give up on digital point and shoots and start making Lomo-style cameras instead?

Bring back the Brownie!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

MrBlandAverage posted:

I bought $350 worth of Portra just in case. :sweatdrop:

Yeah but what will you do in 6 months? :ohdear:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

QPZIL posted:

Yeah but what will you do in 6 months? :ohdear:

This is in addition to the brick and a half of 400NC I have in the freezer. I'm set for another two years. That should be enough time to save up for a medium format digital setup :o:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Beastruction posted:

Bring back the Brownie!

hahahaha hell yes

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
So, I'm playing around with the Canonet, and here are the pics.

Canonet (6 of 8).jpg by dunx17, on Flickr

Canonet (5 of 8).jpg by dunx17, on Flickr

Canonet (4 of 8).jpg by dunx17, on Flickr

I loaded up some Kodak BW 400 I had laying around, and...it doesn't work.

I can wind the camera, the shot counter advances, but when I click the shutter button, it depresses but the shutter never opens. It just doesn't do anything. It gives some resistance and definitely feels like it's resetting something in there.

Any ideas? Does this thing even have a battery to replace? Also, what's with all of the little white balls on the lens? And, what model is this? There is no model number anywhere on it.

Canonet (3 of 8).jpg by dunx17, on Flickr

Canonet (2 of 8).jpg by dunx17, on Flickr

Canonet (1 of 8).jpg by dunx17, on Flickr

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

QPZIL posted:

I bought a Nikon F for the hell of it. After watching a documentary on the making of it, I have a new appreciation for this beautiful machine. And hey, everybody needs an all-mechanical backup camera!

edit --- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKyR9Z_ZUsU --- that's the documentary I mentioned. It's only 20 minutes total or so, but it's really interesting if you're at all interested in the history of Nikon or the history of 35mm SLRs.

Also, I looked up the serial number and it was produced in Feb/Mar 1969, which is cool :3:

Yes, it's cool - everything about it is cool.
I have one that I only ever use Tri-X or Adox 50 with, so I replaced the photomic head with a standard prism. And despite having a couple of nice cameras my F is easily my favourite. Anyway, enjoy shooting with your wonderful old camera.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

dunkman posted:

I loaded up some Kodak BW 400 I had laying around, and...it doesn't work.

I can wind the camera, the shot counter advances, but when I click the shutter button, it depresses but the shutter never opens. It just doesn't do anything. It gives some resistance and definitely feels like it's resetting something in there.

Any ideas? Does this thing even have a battery to replace? Also, what's with all of the little white balls on the lens? And, what model is this? There is no model number anywhere on it.

That is one of the original Canonettes from the 60's, before they got smaller and gained names like "GL". I bought a non-working one at a yard sale for $1. I use it as a prop with models sometimes. Like yours, the shutter does nothing. The viewfinder is incredibly fogged on mine so I never looked into getting it working. That stuff around the lens is the light meter. Pretty cool looking imo.

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more
I use Blanco Negro for black and white stuff.

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010

unixbeard posted:

yo to any aussies here, are there any good places to get film/processing chems, either in Sydney or online.

in other news €150 worth of MF film went missing from my luggage going from Berlin -> Sydney :(

I buy from lofico ( lofico.com.au )

Otherwise I buy from Maco Direct in Germany (good deals on postage for film and chemicals but their correspondence times are poo poo) and also B&H (no good for chemicals).

Lofico won't have much as they're aiming at the lomo crowd but I did get some Rollei Retro from them for a very good price recently. Freestyle will charge an arm and a leg for postage.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

HPL posted:

Kodak seems to hate making things that people want to buy but they love jumping into markets that they stand no chance in. I believe the new plan is to bet the company on inkjet printers. Yes a market that is already shrinking and dominated by companies that are much larger and richer.

They already sold their sensors business a month or 2 ago. Last week they sold Eastman Gelatin. It seems like at this point they will sell anything to keep the doors open a few more weeks.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
Bought a bunch of button cells for my Pentax MX for $2 off ebay, can't wait for exposure metering :D

Now to find a place which will develop and scan my rolls. Cost-effective is no longer in my vocabulary, I suppose.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
I love my MX. Make sure to get the $10 seal kit.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

NihilismNow posted:

Kodak seems to hate making things that people want to buy but they love jumping into markets that they stand no chance in. I believe the new plan is to bet the company on inkjet printers. Yes a market that is already shrinking and dominated by companies that are much larger and richer.
I've never connected Kodak to inkjet printers and I don't think I've ever seen one either. They're just putting themselves on the slow burn again.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mightaswell posted:

I love my MX. Make sure to get the $10 seal kit.
This is pretty valid for any 10+ years old camera. Just get the seal kit and spend the 30mn replacing them.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
My MX has lovely seals and it works fine. Actually, a lot of my film cameras has lovely to non-existent seals and work fine.

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
The only camera of mine with poo poo seals and light leaks is my om-10. Fixed it with gaffa.

So who's buying up Ektar and chucling it in the freezer? I've got 15 rolls of ektachrome to work through right now but am thinking a few Kodak pro packs might be a safe bet.

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis

GWBBQ posted:

Get a can of Barkeeper's Friend, should be with other cleaning products at the grocery store. Works great on pretty much any metal oxide, especially copper, but don't use it on silver or pewter in the kitchen.

Never thought about Barkeeper's. I have it for cleaning anyway, so I'll give it a shot.

I love that lots of people are picking up old cameras over the holidays, it gives me hope. (I usually shoot an A-1, but have a small collection of working older/antiques).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Ran the last of my 120 Fomapan 400 (okay so it's Arista.EDU 400, but same thing) through my RB67 tonight.

I don't think I'm going to buy any more. It's not bad, but it's far from my favorite, and when you're done with the roll, there's no adhesive on the little tab to seal it closed! If I don't have a rubber band or something in my bag, I'm screwed and my roll will unroll. I'll probably go with HP5+ or Tri-X next time. Maybe Delta or Neopan. Hm.

Lewisville Town Square at Night by iantuten, on Flickr

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

QPZIL posted:

Ran the last of my 120 Fomapan 400 (okay so it's Arista.EDU 400, but same thing) through my RB67 tonight.

I don't think I'm going to buy any more. It's not bad, but it's far from my favorite[...]

I don't blame you. My brother gave me a couple of his leftover rolls to use and a couple shot rolls to develop. I had never actively disliked a film before, but I hated Fomapan.

The base was crappy, it was grainy as hell (though that's less of a problem at 6x7), and the response curve was just... weird. Horrifying, even, for the portraiture both of us tried shooting with it. Ugh. If it were the only film the Czech people had access to, I would be very sad for them.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

I've found that Fomapan 400 is closer to ISO 200, but I suppose it's possible that it doesn't quite play nicely with HC-110. I like the look of Foma 100 quite a bit, but it's incredibly frustrating to work with because it scratches so easily. If you get it in sheets and value your sanity, don't ever develop it using the taco method.

QPZIL, that's weird that yours didn't have an adhesive tab at the end of the roll. I haven't used 120 Arista.EDU in awhile, but mine always had one.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

QPZIL posted:

I don't think I'm going to buy any more. It's not bad, but it's far from my favorite, and when you're done with the roll, there's no adhesive on the little tab to seal it closed! If I don't have a rubber band or something in my bag, I'm screwed and my roll will unroll. I'll probably go with HP5+ or Tri-X next time. Maybe Delta or Neopan. Hm.

Lewisville Town Square at Night by iantuten, on Flickr

I've found that Fomapan varies greatly depending on what format its in. One striking difference is when you do the first rinse to get the anti-hilation layer off, sheet film its a bright green, while the 35mm has no colour.

I've pushed the sheet film to 1600 and been pretty happy with it, but the smaller formats don't tend to like it too much, and should be shot at around 320 (at least thats what the APUG guys think). I've found it likes being developed in developers made for pushing (like DDX), while stand developing in Rodinal really accentuates the grain.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I managed to mess up loading film in my Konica FC-1 (which, according to this site, has the world's easiest film-loading); I thought I shot a roll (call it roll A) but after running another roll (B) through it correctly, I think the first roll (A) never actually spooled onto the take-up side so the leader would have been exposed 24 times - no pictures on that roll (A), I think.

It's all rolled back inside the spool, is there an easy way to get that leader out so I can try again?

fake edit: roll roll roll rollrollrollroll

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

It's all rolled back inside the spool, is there an easy way to get that leader out so I can try again?
You might want to get one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-AP-35mm-Film-Leader-Retriever-Extractor-Picker-/380340886781

But there seems to be a lot of DIY methods for getting the leader out as well, like this licking method: http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=787776

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Honestly, the easiest way is to skip down to the nearest minilab and ask them to pull the leader out for you. I've done this a few times.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Anyone have experience with the exposure mode selector being stuck on AUTO with a Pentax ME? The white button won't depress at all, so I'm worried something jammed up after being used after 15 years of sitting. I'm not having much luck with google, and while the camera still seems to work fine otherwise it'd be nice to be able to lock the shutter.

I did find the service manual, so worst case when this roll of film is done I can try taking it apart, but maybe someone else here has seen it.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
I have a friend who is not photographically inclined but has a desperate 'need' for a polaroid camera, the requirements are as follows:

"i want a poloroid that prints out big prints. not like them stupid izone cameras. i was thinking the 600, and i want to be able to buy cool film to have cool effect on the prints and all."

Normally I'd be happy to figure this poo poo out myself but I'm full time on set all next week (and most of this) so I don't really have the time. Needs to be under 150$ AUD. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
How big is big? Regular Polaroids aren't exactly huge. I'd suggest a Fuji Instax Wide if they really want a Polaroid because Instax film is easier to find. If they need larger instant prints, you're pretty much stuck with a press camera with a Polaroid back and expensive 4x5 instant film. There's cheaper 3x4 instant film, but it's roughly the same size as an Instax Wide print anyway.