Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

bengraven posted:

She either destroys the small invading army of the bank or they run away in fear..

I never had the impression the bank had (or needed) its own army. The bank can make or break kings because it has the money and influence. Force of arms doesn't seem to be required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Niccy Bones posted:

Except when he got lovely at Davos for spiriting away his brother's bastard because then that meant he couldn't burn the child.

He didn't get mad at Davos for stopping him from burning the child, he got mad at Davos for the same reason he got mad at Alester Florent: arrogating unto himself a decision he believed was rightfully his to make. The reason he put Alester to death, while only reprimanding Davos was that Alester did the opposite of what he would have done, while Davos made the "right" choice.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

DARPA posted:

I never had the impression the bank had (or needed) its own army. The bank can make or break kings because it has the money and influence. Force of arms doesn't seem to be required.

Just like with Littlefinger and the gold cloaks in GoT whoever has the money has the power. There was a lot of companies of sellswords mentioned in this last book. I can see the story taking a turn where the Iron Bank outpays every single company and turns it towards the throne.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

lifts cats over head posted:

Just like with Littlefinger and the gold cloaks in GoT whoever has the money has the power. There was a lot of companies of sellswords mentioned in this last book. I can see the story taking a turn where the Iron Bank outpays every single company and turns it towards the throne.

Basically this. There's still a ton of Unsullied out there to buy.

See? That would be ironic.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

bengraven posted:

Basically this. There's still a ton of Unsullied out there to buy.

See? That would be ironic.

I thought Daenerys purchased all of the Unsullied? Including the ones in training so that no more would be ready for 10+ years?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

bengraven posted:

So Dany wins the throne and the Iron Bank tries to get their money from her, since all the other army generals/kings are dead and she's like "lol, come at me bros, I got a dragon" (assuming one or more won't survive).
Doran Martell might demand Rhaegal's head as appeasement for harming his son like Cersei did with Lady when Nymeria attacked Joffrey. Would be an interesting test of character (and her strategic savvy) for Dany. A bit of a Sophie's Choice between child/weapon and political ally.

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

I thought Daenerys purchased all of the Unsullied? Including the ones in training so that no more would be ready for 10+ years?

Wonder what they'll do when she finally admits she's the George W. Bush of ASoIaF and cuts and runs.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Joramun posted:

Doran Martell might demand Rhaegal's head as appeasement for harming his son like Cersei did with Lady when Nymeria attacked Joffrey. Would be an interesting test of character (and her strategic savvy) for Dany. A bit of a Sophie's Choice between child/weapon and political ally.

If this happens I hope her solution is to get a dragon's skull from somewhere and wrap it in steaks so it looks sufficiently like a freshly killed rotten dragon's head by the time it gets to Dorne.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Metropolis posted:

If this happens I hope her solution is to get a dragon's skull from somewhere and wrap it in steaks so it looks sufficiently like a freshly killed rotten dragon's head by the time it gets to Dorne.

I hope she cuts her own head off and sends that instead, with floppy bunny ears still attached, and then catches reserrectionitis and become a headless, dragon riding monstrosity.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
I hope that Martin is suck of loving around with her and the 'betrayal for gold' has to do with the Iron Bank eliminating her because she's the only claimant to the throne that doesn't owe them, and she loving dies and the dragons go on a rampage until they're all killed. Also Jon really was Azor Ahai and he's dead for reals and the last page of the last volume is a smallfolk child crawling through a fifty foot high snow drift and breathing her last breath on a dead world locked in a winter without end.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

She did but then she freed them, however they continue to follow her as their "mother". At some point Grey Worm even says something to the effect that she is the only one they'll fight for anymore.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

bigmcgaffney posted:

I hope she cuts her own head off and sends that instead, with floppy bunny ears still attached, and then catches reserrectionitis and become a headless, dragon riding monstrosity.

am I crazy, or was that part "floppy bunny ears" added since the bonus chapter from the AFFC paperback? I was just ploughing through that chapter because I knew what it was, how it ended, and then I'm tripping over this loving awful turn of phrase that keeps coming up and I really don't remember it from the paperback sample chapter. Also I don't remember tyrion contemplating suicide with mushrooms from the sample tyrion chapter on his website.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Ambiguatron posted:

I hope that Martin is suck of loving around with her and the 'betrayal for gold' has to do with the Iron Bank eliminating her because she's the only claimant to the throne that doesn't owe them, and she loving dies and the dragons go on a rampage until they're all killed. Also Jon really was Azor Ahai and he's dead for reals and the last page of the last volume is a smallfolk child crawling through a fifty foot high snow drift and breathing her last breath on a dead world locked in a winter without end.

I'd be pretty okay with that ending, honestly. Sounds loving awesome, and I'd love to see it in TV form.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

RE: The sample chapter.

Haven't all chapters so far been chronological (barring the character splits in Feast/Dance obviously)? I think the fact that a chapter from Winds takes place before the end of Feast is proof that the siege of Winterfell was meant to happen in Dance, and it's the big event that the publisher made him push back just so the loving thing would get released. If it was included, it would start to feel much more like a proper book.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Junkenstein posted:

Haven't all chapters so far been chronological (barring the character splits in Feast/Dance obviously)? I think the fact that a chapter from Winds takes place before the end of Feast is proof that the siege of Winterfell was meant to happen in Dance, and it's the big event that the publisher made him push back just so the loving thing would get released. If it was included, it would start to feel much more like a proper book.

I'm hoping, and this is me trying to be an optimist, that he actually has a lot of stuff written already from Winds of Winter and there won't be a huge wait. Partly because some was cut from DwD and partly because I think if you have the entire story arc already imagined you would have most of the details ready for the beginning and the end and he just needs to fill it in with a bunch of "words are wind", "must needs", and a handful of meals and he's got himself another novel.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

I'm hoping, and this is me trying to be an optimist, that he actually has a lot of stuff written already from Winds of Winter and there won't be a huge wait. Partly because some was cut from DwD and partly because I think if you have the entire story arc already imagined you would have most of the details ready for the beginning and the end and he just needs to fill it in with a bunch of "words are wind", "must needs", and a handful of meals and he's got himself another novel.

He only has 100 manuscript pages written, compared to the the typical 1300-1500 that is in a finished book (ADWD was 1500 for example). He has stated that there will be no new POV Characters, aside from Pro/Epilogue, so I think this makes it somewhat hopeful he can have it done inside of 2 years. This is if he puts all of his other "projects" on the backburner (Though the World of ASOIAF does sound quite interesting).

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

He has stated that there will be no new POV Characters, aside from Pro/Epilogue, so I think this makes it somewhat hopeful he can have it done inside of 2 years.
I don't really believe he'll stick to that resolution, though. Which is good, because I really want a Hodor POV chapter.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Joramun posted:

I don't really believe he'll stick to that resolution, though. Which is good, because I really want a Hodor POV chapter.

I dont want 20 pages of "HODOR HODOR HODOR" :smithicide:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Why the hell not?

Gurm doesn't have the whole story arc imagined, he has said as much. And that's why the books have fizzled out; he doesn't know what to do with the story and is clearly tired of it.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Junkenstein posted:

It seemed obvious to me immediately that the battle for Winterfell was supposed to be in this book. The letter is so completely stupid and transparent, and that battle was clearly being built up as the climax of the book. Instead we got zero climax. Good job, editors.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Arms_Akimbo posted:

It seemed obvious to me immediately that the battle for Winterfell was supposed to be in this book. The letter is so completely stupid and transparent, and that battle was clearly being built up as the climax of the book. Instead we got zero climax. Good job, editors.

The way I was imagining it the epic snowstorm going on was going to preclude any sort of cool battle. It seemed to me to be more of an extreme version of a siege that was about to end up with a bunch of hungry angry weak dudes walking out, never finding Stannis and just dying.

Maybe it's just me getting used to all the GENRE SUBVERSION stuff going on but I just never imagined the Winterfell thing being resolved via a big battle.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Big battle or not, I did expect it to be resolved.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
I think you all are following the carrot that the Gurm has put in front of you, discussing things that you believe will happen in subsequent books. Skip to the end my friends:

The more I think about how much of an Absolute Fucker Gurm is, and how he has no plan for anything in this series, the more it points to an ending of the series where Ned wakes up from a terrible dream, you know - the entire series, kills Robert in the crypts during his visit and takes over the whole loving world.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Junkenstein posted:

I just have a really bad feeling the resolution to the Winterfell situation is so obvious that it's impossible it's going to play out the way it looks: Winterfells occupying evil enemies are starving, getting murdered, losing hostages and fighting eachother to the point where they all say "Ahhhh gently caress it" and go march directly into a blizzard containing Stannis and a bunch of local badasses who love Ned. They die horribly.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
George said that the sample chapter actually happens before the end of Dance.

I'm 99% sure that this meeting with Stannis and Theon takes place before Jon gets the letter saying that Stannis is dead and he wants his Reek back.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I think the best outcome here is that Bolton sent that letter just before Stannis and crew barged in and killed him as the last man standing at Winterfell. So then when Jon is revived in an unholy ceremony that drains him of all humanity and robs him of all that is good in the world, he charges down to Winterfell looking for satanic revenge and everyones like "What? No, that dude is dead. But at least we've got your sister, check it out!"

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Junkenstein posted:

Yeah, but that's how he's, like, totally subverting the genre, man!

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

So then when Jon is revived in an unholy ceremony that drains him of all humanity and robs him of all that is good in the world
That won't be necessary, Jon already warged into Wun Wun right before he died.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
No, Melisandre will do the ceremony anyway because no one understands Wun Wun and turn Jon's corpse into the uber-wight that will lead the Others in the invasion of the world of men. After dead-Jon rises from the dead, he'll gently caress Melisandre to death and turn her into his ice queen with his frozen ice cock, tear down the wall, and begin destroying the world. Also she'll tear her eyes out and have frozen ice blood streaming from her eye sockets all the time and be all like "Where we're going you won't need eyes to see".

Actually whatever Gurrm writes before he keels over from acute heart-full-of-bacon-itis will be less metal than that and involved a bunch of bullshit about Mereneese politics or some loving thing, but he won't finish it anyway.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I think the best outcome here is that Bolton sent that letter just before Stannis and crew barged in and killed him as the last man standing at Winterfell.

This is probably right. I can't see his father letting him send that letter.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

my cat is norris posted:

I think Melisandre said something about sharing his bed in one of her POVs. Or...someone said that. But it was never specifically stated they had sex.

They were probably just hot bunking.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Problem with that is she apparently never sleeps, just looks at the flames some more. She only pretends to sleep (or actually sleeps? I don't know) when she has to keep up appearances of normalcy. Therefore the only reasons for her line about the bed lying unused since Stannis left are:

1) they were fuckin'
2) Stannis would crash there instead of wherever his official quarters were because ??? (I back this reason, but only because I'm pretty sure Stannis doesn't really give a gently caress about sex)

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

whowhatwhere posted:

2) Stannis would crash there instead of wherever his official quarters were because ??? (I back this reason, but only because I'm pretty sure Stannis doesn't really give a gently caress about sex)

He apparently has horrific night terrors ever since his shadow offed Renly. I suppose he could be hanging out in Mel's bed for some creepy platonic comfort like a five year old sleeping in its parents' bed.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Stannis is a secret Unsullied. He shares a bed with Melisandre so that he can just lie next to her and hold her.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Under the sea penis cuts off you and puppies say glub glub oh i know i know i know

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Blind Sally posted:

Stannis is a secret Unsullied. He shares a bed with Melisandre so that he can just lie next to her and hold her.
D'awww. Though that does almost sound like something out of a pubescent girl's fanfic...

Oh God. There's probably fanfiction to this effect, isn't there?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

D'awww. Though that does almost sound like something out of a pubescent girl's fanfic...

Oh God. There's probably fanfiction to this effect, isn't there?

Is there a cuddling corollary to rule 34?

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.
Is there anything stopping Milsandre from bring back Jon Snow ala Beric Dondarion?
He was normal when he was revived wasn't he? Only thing wrong with "Stoneheart" is that she can't talk and is a crazy killer now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Ridonkulous posted:

Is there anything stopping Milsandre from bring back Jon Snow ala Beric Dondarion?
He was normal when he was revived wasn't he? Only thing wrong with "Stoneheart" is that she can't talk and is a crazy killer now.

Unless Jon Snow's corpse was put through a meat grinder, he can be brought back. We can look forward to more chapters of Jon doing nothing on the Wall.