Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Commander Hen posted:

Don't ever feel silly. Animation is a lifelong experience of constantly learning. I still have much to learn and I've been animating since 2004. Started in film and moved to game cinematics since it's fun and the projects are challenging. Currently Lead Animator at Blur and not looking for work for the time being.

That's a good point, I guess if I compare my current stuff with one year ago i'm way better. Hopefully in a year it will be the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Loads of people posted:

I can't make myself work at work halp
What the gently caress? Is this seriously a thing? Can't you just make yourself work? I can categorically say I don't do anything at work except work. Even during lunch, usually, and the only times that's not the case is when my lunch is something that makes it awkward to work at the same time so I read SA or Slashdot or something for ten minutes.

Obviously I don't expect everyone to be exactly like me and want to work through their lunch break (I kind of need to) and you're entitled to breaks every now and then, but if you can't just make yourself work when you should be working you have serious motivation or addiction issues, dudes. Don't you find your job fun? Or more fun than browsing random poo poo on SA? If not I don't know man that's hosed up. Seriously grinds my gears when people can't motivate themselves to be committed to their work in this industry, especially if you're working for yourself or a startup that needs all hands on deck, especially when you have a deadline looming.

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...

Akuma posted:

What the gently caress? Is this seriously a thing? Can't you just make yourself work? I can categorically say I don't do anything at work except work. Even during lunch, usually, and the only times that's not the case is when my lunch is something that makes it awkward to work at the same time so I read SA or Slashdot or something for ten minutes.

Obviously I don't expect everyone to be exactly like me and want to work through their lunch break (I kind of need to) and you're entitled to breaks every now and then, but if you can't just make yourself work when you should be working you have serious motivation or addiction issues, dudes. Don't you find your job fun? Or more fun than browsing random poo poo on SA? If not I don't know man that's hosed up. Seriously grinds my gears when people can't motivate themselves to be committed to their work in this industry, especially if you're working for yourself or a startup that needs all hands on deck, especially when you have a deadline looming.

I find it's incredibly easier to stay focused on work when you're at an office building, rather than at home. I work from home on the same computer and in the same room as I do everything else on (which I believe is fairly common for people who work at home), so there's far less seperation from work and play.

If we were talking about at-office work, then yes, I'd completely agree, but it's different when you're at home. :colbert:

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Akuma posted:

What the gently caress? Is this seriously a thing?
Your quote is wrong. The question is "how do you focus on work at home?".

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
I didn't want to say anything, but I was having the same kind of reaction. Even at home, I have no problem putting in hour after hour of concentrated work. I mean, I don't want to sound all "Willpower, bitches :smugbert:" but picking a task and just sticking to it has never been a problem for me.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

GetWellGamers posted:

I didn't want to say anything, but I was having the same kind of reaction. Even at home, I have no problem putting in hour after hour of concentrated work. I mean, I don't want to sound all "Willpower, bitches :smugbert:" but picking a task and just sticking to it has never been a problem for me.

Some people are more resistant to temptation than others, I guess. When I'm doing something fun and interesting and everything is going smoothly it's easy to spend ten hours on something and hardly notice. When things are going poorly and it's not fun, well, the fridge is right there I could go for a snack, hey I haven't used the bathroom for a while, oh hey I'm gonna check my bookmarks real quick I deserve a break, oh well I'll just turn the TV on for some background noise..

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

FreakyZoid posted:

Your quote is wrong. The question is "how do you focus on work at home?".
It's the same thing to me. I bring my work home most weekends and evenings. If you have work to do and you've allocated working hours, you do it! If the distractions are beyond your control, like working in a living space where someone else is actively living, then that's different and the solution is to get a more isolated work environment.

If the impediments to your work are your own creations then I find it hard to sympathise.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Akuma posted:

Different people have different habits, different amounts of self-discipline, different approaches, etc. There's a whole psychology behind instant gratification vs. long-term benefits, and a ton of wildly different variables come to play in that.

A lot of folks are used to a model where they burn through work for a long period of time, and so they've built up this habit that any time they want to work on something, it's this giant eight-hour slog, when that isn't healthy or even conductive to the best possible work. Studies have shown that taking frequent breaks increases productivity, not just in amount of work done but also in the quality of work you produce. In my profession frequent breaks are mandatory, to not only keep my art in a strict timeline and prevent me from going off into unnecessary detail work, but also to give me a chance to take a step back and get some fresh eyes on what I'm doing. I know I produce my worst work when I've been at it straight for six-eight hours or more, sans break, and I say this coming from countless all-nighters burning through a project. My best work comes from relatively short, highly energetic bursts, where I iterate and reiterate, with enough presence of mind to not commit until I've got something reasonably solid.

What it boils down to is the difference between self-discipline and willpower. Self-discipline is a muscle that needs to be built up over time, and for some people, me included, it's not as strong as they want it to be. Willpower, on the other hand, is a short boost of concentrated effort to consciously do something against ones tendencies or instincts. It'd be nice if I could just expend an infinite amount of willpower getting whatever I want done, damned if I can feasibly see the end result from where I'm currently sitting, but willpower only goes so far. It's a boost, not a sustainable strategy, and it can definitely backfire if used too frequently. If I rely only on the short boosts of willpower to do everything, when I run out, I backslide, and rebel, and fall back into old habits. If I rely on my developed sense of self-discipline, I can reliably get stuff done. Willpower is what gets you out of bed in the morning, but self-discipline is what keeps you from going back to sleep.

The reason why a ton of us have all these ways of keeping us from being distracted while working is because we lack the hardened self-discipline to get everything done all the time. Believe it or not, the ability to just do whatever you set your mind to whenever right out of the gate is pretty rare. Most people, when faced between the choice of a big task with no immediately perceivable reward, or a small mindless task where the reward is immediate, will choose the latter. I enjoy the hell out of what I do, in general, but there are some tasks I'm asked to perform that just aren't that mentally engaging, during which I'll be way more tempted by things of a more immediate nature. I still get my work done, it's just not as productive as I'd like, nor is it as enjoyable. It's even worse when I'm faced with a project where there's no end goal or destination in sight. So, I set up chunks of time for work, with plenty of distinct breaks to make projects not seem so daunting, and I block as much of the internet as possible while I'm working. I set up my own office area where funtime isn't allowed, and I minimize distractions while maximizing my ability to get things done. Not only am I measurably more productive this way, I actually enjoy even the most mundane of tasks. Because I've set up an area where the only thing that exists is my work, I can focus on it and enjoy it for what it is, instead of facing the constant choice between what I'm doing and other things I know are fun, though not as ultimately rewarding.

For more information, here's an article about self-discipline and willpower that I highly recommend reading, and here is a video where John Cleese explains the importance of setting up a proper environment for your creativity.

Edit: If you're having to take work home most nights and weekends, even while working through lunch, then either you're on an extended, unsustainable crunch time, or you should seriously endeavor to find ways to work smarter and not harder. I mean, fair enough if you seriously love what you do to the practical exclusion of all else, but I've driven off enough in my life with incredible working hours to want to continue with a method that prevents me from having a home life.

turnways fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jan 8, 2012

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
For non-office work, I really enjoy going to a library or bar with my laptop and MiFi. It has a few notable effects: 1) The social pressure of being out and about keeps me (mostly) focused on the task at hand. 2) I can't fritter about my apartment, snacking, napping, or otherwise enjoying the creature comforts of home. 3) And maybe most importantly, while the MiFi is fast enough to look up docs / APIs / do email, it's not really fast enough to support "good" web browsing, so I'm less likely to be distracted by random web sites.

I'm generally able to get a few solid uninterrupted hours of work doing this.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I also like to work in bursts. I'll work on something for an hour or two and usually I'll get "engaged" on it, where I'm completely focused on the task I'm doing. Until something distracts me and I lose my focus, so I just take a break and then repeat the process.
Here are some things that help me when I have a lack of motivation:
-Pressure. I am pretty good at estimating how long something is going to take, so if I feel like I have just enough time to do it (and do it well) then I will work without distractions. I always over-estimate so when something goes wrong I have time to fix it anyway.
-Breaking up a job into a lot of smaller tasks that I can easily do and check off a list. This always makes daunting jobs easier to handle.
-Don't think about starting, just start doing something. When you think about it you just find distractions or excuses, but once you have started something it's easier to get engaged.
-getting out of the house, just like devilmouse.
-Talking or chatting while I work. This might seem counter intuitive but I find that when I'm doing this I sort of get into an "automatic" mode on my art and it all comes out naturally. Edit: I assume this wouldn't work while programming or writing.

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 8, 2012

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

GetWellGamers posted:

I'm fine on the willpower, I just work from my home for my very small studio, which means home stuff comes up that I need to deal with or research, which sends me off on tangents. Very different from working in an office with coworkers (coworkers specifically are especially helpful). My strategy is "schedule and block habitual browsing with host file," and it works, but I wanted to see if others had better tactics.

As it turns out, they did, and now I have a neat scheduling plugin and a few other tactics. No one seemed to have major issues, we're just sharing techniques that further improve efficiency.

Which is to say: I didn't want to say anything, but dudes, quit reading so much into stuff :smugbert:

EDIT: I'm tempted to work out of a local Irish pub where everyone knows me, but buying a ton of tea or whatever a day would really start adding up. Fixed budgets leave little room for lunch out every day, and I can't imagine they'd want me sitting there all day, nursing a single refilling cup of iced tea :v:

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 8, 2012

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Working at a bar or a coffee shop owns; I did most of my studying for the last year of law school at this belgian cafe that had amazing coffee (and I'm not a huge coffee person, but goddamn those were the best cappuccinos I've ever had). When I was studying for the bar though, I had trouble paying attention at the boring rear end bar review lectures (100 people in a room, watching a videotape from Baltimore, taking notes; 90% of them were loving around on facebook the whole time) so about 2 weeks into it I switched over to the online-only portion and just did my work from the lebanese restaurant/hookah bar near my apartment. Its counter-intuitive but I was able to concentrate better outside the "formal work environment." But, everyone learns differently so what works for Akuma may not work for Shalinor.

Added plus -- people start to get to know you there as a regular.

Paniolo
Oct 9, 2007

Heads will roll.
Do you guys working in very small companies or even solo use any kind of project management software? I've used both OnTime and TargetProcess at work but they're both a little too heavy for a one or two man team. I'd like something where I can log bugs and features and look at a Kanban board, but with a minimum of administrative overhead or unwanted features clogging everything up.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Akuma posted:

Obviously I don't expect everyone to be exactly like me and want to work through their lunch break (I kind of need to)

Incidentally I love my hour long lunch breaks, coming from a job which had managers tapping their watch at you fifteen minutes into your thirty minute lunch break. DW Sport Fitness is loving poo poo. :sigh: Mad props for busting arse so hard on Naked Gun though!

Also good news, I just came back from an airsoft trip down Reading and spent all weekend travelling so I am utterly knackered, BB hits all over my body hurt like hell and I am litteraly shaking with muscle strain. Expect my magnum opus this monday. :suicide:

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 8, 2012

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Just add some sleep deprivation and you are golden.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

lavhoes posted:

If you're having to take work home most nights and weekends, even while working through lunch, then either you're on an extended, unsustainable crunch time, or you should seriously endeavor to find ways to work smarter and not harder. I mean, fair enough if you seriously love what you do to the practical exclusion of all else, but I've driven off enough in my life with incredible working hours to want to continue with a method that prevents me from having a home life.
We're a fairly small studio, and I'm senior and a shareholder, and the project lead, so I have a pretty vested interest. I'm also in a weird situation where on this project I'm the overall lead, the lead programmer, and one of the two writers - the other writer being my wife. I hash out a lot of design and write a lot of the script collaboratively with her at home.

I'm not saying I work all evening and all weekend - it could just be an hour in the evening, or four hours on Sunday night - but I plan how many hours are feasible (taking into account how many hours are sensible so I don't just get fed up and burned out after being at work all day/week already) and work them. I'm married with a 2 year old daughter and have a great home life, but life is time management and I manage my time appropriately. The biggest drag is that I have a 3 hour (total) commute every day. But this isn't about how many hours you're willing to put in for the project or the company or whatever, it's the amount you devote yourself in that allotted time.

Deciding your working hours will be 10 until 2 but checking your Facebook for 60 seconds every 10 minutes is probably not going to be as productive as if you decided you can only reasonably work from 10 until 1 but give it your complete attention. And that probably involves finding something else you can do for those few minutes after hitting F7 instead of alt-tabbing to Chrome or whatever.

Aliginge posted:

Expect my magnum opus this monday. :suicide:
gently caress yeah!

poo poo, you're on Warheads tomorrow. Goddamnit.

Aliginge posted:

Incidentally I love my hour long lunch breaks, coming from a job which had managers tapping their watch at you fifteen minutes into your thirty minute lunch break. DW Sport Fitness is loving poo poo. :sigh:
You should've been with us in the Slam days, lunch time was "whenever seems reasonable" and the length was "just don't take the piss."

Akuma fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 9, 2012

Archetype
Feb 4, 2003

The once gutter trash Dark Hero has risen, like a freakish garbage phoenix, to capture our hearts again.

lavhoes posted:

I use the Pomodoro Technique (the e-book is free) to great effect, in addition to having my own work space set aside (though currently that's my friend's living room couch).

Thanks for posting this! I'm reading through the book now and it sounds really useful. I'm going to try it for my personal projects at home and maybe see if I can do some of it at work, though I fear being a manager means I'll be interrupted far too often to make it effective.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Diplomaticus posted:

ZNGA has been hovering around -4.10% to -4.5% last I checked today :(. It's my second worst performing stock.
You shouldn't be investing money.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
So, this next academic year, I am putting serious consideration into moving to Washington from Tennessee to attend Digipen. The reason for this is having a friend who is a junior there (taking a design degree, and really, really trying to convince me to go for design rather than programming because I talk with him about game structure and non-technical technical stuff, and he keeps telling me I have good ) convincing me that it is easy to get in, but a hard-rear end course load, and another friend who is apparently planning to attend this next fall as well (though I am unsure what his degree will be). I'm currently just attending a local community college, with my wife who is even more unsure of a career path than I am (though most everything I have in mind involves programming, which would be my course path when and if I go).

I know at this point that if I plan on doing anything programming-related to any professional degree, I need to move from this state into one that has better schools, but I'm wary (mainly from a somewhat alarmist southern family) about loans. I'm in deep need of educated advice about whether that sort of investment would be worth it, since most of my family hasn't ever taken out a proper loan in their life, nor have they ever went to college (or even finished high school, for that matter). I feel like I would have an easier time financially if I moved somewhere closer, but I also know I would have an easier time with schoolwork and the like if I were to move near people I at least know online well. There are a few other places I have looked up where some people I am familiar with live, but I am sort of flying blind here, and could use some advice.

This post is also really hard to type without making myself feel like an idiot. :sigh:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Demitri Omni posted:

So, this next academic year, I am putting serious consideration into moving to Washington from Tennessee to attend Digipen. The reason for this is having a friend who is a junior there (taking a design degree, and really, really trying to convince me to go for design rather than programming because I talk with him about game structure and non-technical technical stuff, and he keeps telling me I have good ) convincing me that it is easy to get in, but a hard-rear end course load, and another friend who is apparently planning to attend this next fall as well (though I am unsure what his degree will be). I'm currently just attending a local community college, with my wife who is even more unsure of a career path than I am (though most everything I have in mind involves programming, which would be my course path when and if I go).

I know at this point that if I plan on doing anything programming-related to any professional degree, I need to move from this state into one that has better schools, but I'm wary (mainly from a somewhat alarmist southern family) about loans. I'm in deep need of educated advice about whether that sort of investment would be worth it, since most of my family hasn't ever taken out a proper loan in their life, nor have they ever went to college (or even finished high school, for that matter). I feel like I would have an easier time financially if I moved somewhere closer, but I also know I would have an easier time with schoolwork and the like if I were to move near people I at least know online well. There are a few other places I have looked up where some people I am familiar with live, but I am sort of flying blind here, and could use some advice.

This post is also really hard to type without making myself feel like an idiot. :sigh:

Personally, I don't think turning your entire life upside down just to go to Digipen is that great of a plan. HOWEVER, if you feel your personal situation is such that you would be more fulfilled by moving away from home that may be a suitable option. There's no famously good schools in TN, but your state universities will give you a reasonable foundation in programming which would be beneficial if you later moved in to a game design career, and has applications outside of game dev. It's also way, way, way, way cheaper.

Either way though you'll probably need a loan eventually. Just staying in TN and getting a degree there will be more of a family sedan sized loan versus moving to Washington and going to Digipen will be more of a yacht sized loan.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Demitri Omni posted:

Digipen's 13k a semester and I get the impression that outside of games, the degree isn't well known - there are way more non-game programming jobs than game programming jobs. The student loan thing used to be a good gamble but I really can't in good conscience recommend trucking with student loans - I know more than one person trying to pay off 60k in student loans working at Apple stores.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Pixelboy posted:

You shouldn't be investing money.

Why? My portfolio is doing pretty well, all considered. And ZNGA closed at a more reasonable -1.10% that day, more than made up for by several other holdings that closed up 4-5% (ZNGA is a small position at that, less than $1000, I bought it to round out my game industry portfolio because there's a lack of casual game companies in it).

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

Diplomaticus posted:

Why? My portfolio is doing pretty well, all considered. And ZNGA closed at a more reasonable -1.10% that day, more than made up for by several other holdings that closed up 4-5% (ZNGA is a small position at that, less than $1000, I bought it to round out my game industry portfolio because there's a lack of casual game companies in it).

I'm sure his portfolio is always in the positive % every day :rolleyes:. More than likely he only has a 401k and is bashing Zynga. If I hadn't just moved across the country when it went public I would have probably grabbed a few shares myself. Now that they're down quite a bit I'm considering it more.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Demitri Omni posted:

stuff :sigh:

As another option, it's still quite possible to get a design job without a game degree or going into debt. Granted, you have to do something to pay bills in the mean time, and potentially lose a significant chunk of your social life, depending on how much of a hurry you're in, but it's doable.

Use editors, make game levels, get better at it, impress someone, get hired. Not easy, but simple. :)

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

aas Bandit posted:

As another option, it's still quite possible to get a design job without a game degree or going into debt. Granted, you have to do something to pay bills in the mean time, and potentially lose a significant chunk of your social life, depending on how much of a hurry you're in, but it's doable.

Use editors, make game levels, get better at it, impress someone, get hired. Not easy, but simple. :)

Yep, what aas Bandit said. I made levels for a long time then a company took a chance on me for an internship. My college degree is in Information Technology.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Demitri Omni posted:

It is relatively hard to break into the industry as a designer. You'd have a much easier time of it as a programmer.

... and if you went programmer, then no, I'd typically not recommend DigiPen. In that case, you'd be well served by just working on your portfolio on your own time and getting a CS degree.

If you're the kind of person that can't self-motivate, and you desperately need someone to prod you along - well then Digipen might help. But it might also leave you at the other end with ~50k in non-expungable private loan debt and a portfolio that won't get you a job (because you didn't put in enough time on it outside of coursework). Just going to Digipen and doing the work won't get you a job, you'll still need to drive yourself further than just the coursework will go.

In general, I wouldn't recommend a design degree, from... well, anywhere. The one exception would be the few masters programs that work on design after you've got a CS/equivalent bachelor's. Design degrees won't get you a job anywhere outside of the industry period, and are of dubious worth within the industry. Most will still ignore you, unless your portfolio is good - and given that, why not go get an actually useful degree to pair with that good portfolio?

EDIT: VV Oh dear, are they big layoffs? Robot seemed so cool :(

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 10, 2012

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Oh, bother.

I was just laid off from Robot after 3 years. I was Community Manager/Coordinator, and did a bunch if video / web content stuff, as well as support. I have another year and half before that at Ensemble Studios doing the same thing.

Welp, time to start looking again.

Anybody know of any Community and/or Video and/or Web Content type stuff?

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
Riot Games seems to be always hiring.

http://riotgames.com/careers/community

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Man that's a lot of community jobs.

I-H
Dec 24, 2009

Violently Car posted:

Riot Games seems to be always hiring.

http://riotgames.com/careers/community

I like how all the short descriptions are snipped before the typical company praise/introduction has finished, making them pretty redundant since all of them just say the same.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
RIP Monumental.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-01-10-monumental-games-goes-into-administration

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

In happier news, the IGF finalists were announced today:

http://igf.com/2012/01/2012_independent_games_festiva_3.html

... and we're not in the list. Not exactly surprising :v: But hey, we've got a long way to go until the 2013 IGF, and by then... hey, who knows.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Found this in the D&D UK Megathread, but I thought it appropriate to repost here.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/jan/09/computer-science-courses-digital-skills?fb=native&CMP=FBCNETTXT9038

quote:

Britain is facing a shortage of workers with programming skills, fuelled by poor-quality training courses in universities and colleges, which has left firms in fields ranging from advertising to Formula 1 struggling to recruit.

Leading companies interviewed for a new Guardian series say they require staff at a senior level to be computer literate, combining digital skills with the ability to lead a team. But they face delays in hiring the right staff, or have to give new employees extensive training because many computer science courses are nothing more than "sausage factories".

Ian Wright, the chief engineer for vehicle dynamics with the Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One team, said: "There's definitely a shortage of the right people. What we've found is that somebody spot on in terms of the maths can't do the software; if they're spot on in terms of the software, they can't do the maths.

"It's a question of time – how long it takes to find people. That can mean months down the road. This is a fast-moving business. Every two weeks in the racing season you're out there, everyone seeing how well you do."

The government is poised to overhaul the teaching of computer science in schools, and Michael Gove, the education secretary, is due to outline the coalition's approach to digital skills on Wednesday.

Gove is keen to see a greater emphasis placed on training children to be technologically adept, and believes that in the past schools have focused too much on acquiring expensive kit that has rapidly become obsolete.

The Guardian has spoken to firms involved in games design, outsourced IT support and visual effects that are critical of the scarcity of properly trained recruits. In a series of articles, Guardian writers will explore the state of computer science teaching in schools, look at the use of technology in teaching, and see how other countries are faring in comparison to Britain.

In higher education, although universities such as Bournemouth are praised by employers for working closely with industry, other universities and colleges have been criticised by businesses for running a significant number of "dead-end" courses in computer science, with poor prospects of employment for those enrolled.

Figures for the graduate class of 2010 show computer science graduates have the highest unemployment rate of any undergraduate degree, at 14.7%.

This is now the basic response of the corporate world in response to massive computer industry senioritis: Blame the Universities and the Education system.

You loving what? I was under the distinct impression that pre-2008 when recruitment of Juniors into Computing and Games industries was doing well, on the job training was all the rage to get students up to speed and make up the skill gap between a graduate and a regular non-junior role. The skill gap between Uni and Entry level has been there since academia started really pushing Computing courses, the only difference now is that the drawbridge to new talent has been raised and everyone just poaches the seniors.

Now thanks to the global redundancies in Computing and Games we have Seniors competing for Entry level jobs and the expectations for entry level jobs is impossibly high and somehow this is the loving Universities fault?! It's once thing to mock the cash-in Games Design courses but now the guns are turned on CS students when no major company can be bothered to train with all the freely available talent flooding the job market.

Sigh. Don't mind me, I just angst the gently caress out about this sort of thing. Those three years out in the cold made me bitter and all I see are students like I used to be facing even harder times, especially since the UK now has tuition fees of 9k a year. :(

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 10, 2012

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Aliginge posted:

Sigh. Don't mind me, I just angst the gently caress out about this sort of thing. Those three years out in the cold made me bitter and all I see are students like I used to be facing even harder times, especially since the UK now has tuition fees of 9k a year. :(
It's getting a bit stupid, yes. Half the studios out there, including startups, seem to have forgotten that Jr Programmers and Jr Artists do in fact exist and can be useful.

That said, it's happened because of contraction in the market creating a massive body of unemployed mid level people. It gives the impression that there's better talent out there available for the same price, if only we can find it, etc. EDIT: I think there's also a gap in understanding, where startups don't quite realize they're not doing AAA anymore. They can afford to take on a Jr Artist, the bar is necessarily lower and back within a Jr's range.

I have no idea why the folks in the UK are blaming the education system. It continues to be a non-factor, with most not producing useful graduates, same as it always was. You guys across the pond seem to expect everyone to go through a degree program, though, as opposed to jumping straight into work - so maybe that's why the article is phrased such?

EDIT: I guess another, somewhat more grim, way of looking at it is this. Does a Jr Artist or Jr Programmer put out substantially better product than can be gotten from outsourcing? If they're even close to equivalent, then - which is cheaper? It wouldn't surprise me if outsourcing was in fact the cheaper option. :ohdear:

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 10, 2012

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Its so cool to see this in the wild now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaQdKJ2LMNI

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Aliginge posted:

Found this in the D&D UK Megathread, but I thought it appropriate to repost here.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/jan/09/computer-science-courses-digital-skills?fb=native&CMP=FBCNETTXT9038

This is now the basic response of the corporate world in response to massive computer industry senioritis: Blame the Universities and the Education system.

You loving what? I was under the distinct impression that pre-2008 when recruitment of Juniors into Computing and Games industries was doing well, on the job training was all the rage to get students up to speed and make up the skill gap between a graduate and a regular non-junior role. The skill gap between Uni and Entry level has been there since academia started really pushing Computing courses, the only difference now is that the drawbridge to new talent has been raised and everyone just poaches the seniors.

Now thanks to the global redundancies in Computing and Games we have Seniors competing for Entry level jobs and the expectations for entry level jobs is impossibly high and somehow this is the loving Universities fault?! It's once thing to mock the cash-in Games Design courses but now the guns are turned on CS students when no major company can be bothered to train with all the freely available talent flooding the job market.

Yeah that article is bollocks. It starts by the Merc guy talking about hiring senior positions, then goes on to moan about graduates. :confused:

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Shalinor posted:

I have no idea why the folks in the UK are blaming the education system. It continues to be a non-factor, with most not producing useful graduates, same as it always was. You guys across the pond seem to expect everyone to go through a degree program, though, as opposed to jumping straight into work - so maybe that's why the article is phrased such?
The UK is basically in the thrall of the rich and the private sector right now, from the press right through to the highest levels of government and the entire public sector is an ideological enemy to the Thatcherite/Reaganesque shitheels in government. Not to go dramatic here, but we are all at the mercy of the invisible hand of the markets, in some respects way more so than the US given that the ruling Conservative party are essentially the biggest pile of rich, fox-hunting, daddy-funded, twat-faced toffs you can imagine.

Blaming the universities - the public sector - for the failure of the private sector - to provide training and opportunities - is business as usual over here and it is very much the ideological line adopted by the government. People buy and large accept this dialogue as well and as a result, hard working students looking to better themselves and their job prospects are seen popularly as work-shy scum and this of course softens people up to the prospect of cutting back funding for universities and everything else in the public sector.

This is happening for our famed NHS as well, cut back funding, gasp at the horrible treatment as a result, cut back some more in response, close a few hospitals and suddenly we're all America 2.0 but worse.

In the seven years I lived in middlesbrough and the five of which I was studying Computer Animation/Games Art, I watched tuition fees go from nothing, to £1k a year, £3k a year and now £9k a year.

EDIT: I seem to be rolling out the new thread titles quite a lot as of late :v:

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 10, 2012

Commander Hen
Jan 7, 2012

Aliginge posted:

Yeah no kidding. I thought it was rough when I graduated in 2004 but holy gently caress would it be hard getting a job right now in comparison.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

When I was in university we were told that about 95% of graduates on our course went on to get jobs in the industry. I don't know if that's true, but it's what they said.

Over Christmas I went back to my uni city and bumped into some old friends who revered me as some kind of god because I got a job; apparently only like five of us did. But I wasn't surprised because almost none of the people on my course made any loving effort beyond the bare minimum. Goddamnit it's your loving future! Grrrr.

It took us ages to find two decent graduates last year. Ages!

I don't know what my of this means other than none of it is as simple as you'd think. If there's less jobs to go around right now, apparently, why isn't it easier to find people to fill those roles? Half of our company essentially came from this very thread. If it wasn't here I don't know what the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

dunkman posted:

Oh, bother.

I was just laid off from Robot after 3 years. I was Community Manager/Coordinator, and did a bunch if video / web content stuff, as well as support. I have another year and half before that at Ensemble Studios doing the same thing.

Welp, time to start looking again.

Anybody know of any Community and/or Video and/or Web Content type stuff?

Gameloft Montreal was looking for a video and podcast host right now, I don't know if the position is filled yet though. Could it be something that might be in your branch? Speaking french is probably a plus but the ex-employee was definitely an anglophone, he had a pretty big accent.

Edit :

Some schools in the city I used to live in had 100% placement. They didn't mention a job at subway's counted in the tally though.

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 10, 2012