Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toby
Dec 4, 2002

so hey i discovered something

firefly is a lovely, stupid show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

toby posted:

joss whedon fans = worst fans (non-animu division)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

toby posted:

i disagree and think that firefly is ok

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
yeah i definitely think it's wildly overrated but i wouldn't call it terrible.

i'm curious though, what did you find really objectionable about it?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i do think the "lol chinese" bit is going to date the show just as hard as "lol japan bought half the world" did for 80s sci-fi, but that's just me

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I'd even go so far as to say that 12 of the 14 episodes are good television. The other two are trash, though. As is the movie.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i like waffles.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
I liked the little bits in Firefly like "Oh, your going to be tough and threaten to hunt us down? Time to kick you into the jet intake and ask the next guy to be our messenger".

Movie could have been better, but it's hard to do a TV show to movie, look at the TNG movies.

sticky wizard
Nov 19, 2008

i liked the parts with christina hendricks and

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
firefly was cool but not life-changingly awesome and taking it off the air was not the worst crime against humanity since the holocaust

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

firefly was fun when it was a goofy western set in space but literally everything that had to do with STRONG FEMALE CHARACTERS and river tam was the absolute worst.

joss whedon should stick to writing pure fluff because hes good at that and nothing else

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Woz My Neg rear end posted:

firefly was cool but not life-changingly awesome and taking it off the air was not the worst crime against humanity since the holocaust

it was if u think most of the holocaust was faked..............

Pussy Gaz0re
Nov 18, 2011

toby posted:

yaaaaarp

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Kirk posted:

it was if u think most of the holocaust was faked..............
            /

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
lol

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kirk posted:

omfg i skimmed towards the end

holy loving poo poo

is this a jackin' it joke

toby
Dec 4, 2002

500 years into the future, the human race uses six shooters and speaks "cowboy mixed with chinese" and rides horses.

"i reckon y'all ain't 'bout to leave here without that warp compressor. 你想要一个啤酒"

joss whedon can't decide which set of cliches to use, so he uses all of them: space as the wild west; the victorian-style upper class complete with frilly dresses and loving sword duels are you loving kidding me; the evil star-wars-empire-style Alliance, who appear to be the only guys wearing clothes/using technology even halfway appropriate for a sci-fi set 500 years into the future.

There's a little dickensian criminal guy with a bowler hat, but his thugs are borrowed from some lovely current-day action flick about some fictional criminal underworld; there's a mean nazi-esque (or did he have a russian accent, whatever) old man criminal who is all "yes i am merciless look at this guy i had killed," he has a gigantic tattooed-face nordic caveman as his hired muscle; somehow the only people who are universally respected are some formal order of space prostitutes.

Captain rear end in a top hat saunters around punching everyone and being a total douchebag in every situation, but at the end of the episode they all love him anyway because he's mysterious and he secretly cares. Then you have Doctor Pansywaist and his annoying spaz of a sister, Cutesy Smileyface the magical mechanic, Grunt Angryman, Space Preacher, Super Whore, boring pilot husband and Generic Hot Strong Female Character wife, i'm probably missing some main character but who gives a poo poo

every character is a hamfisted caricature, every interaction is stilted and shallow, every mini-plot is stupid and generally driven by conflict that could have been avoided with a tiny bit of restraint or common sense

oh and also it's all "lol chinese" but so far, literally the only times chinese people have shown up they've been sick poor manual laborers or off-screen bartenders

i heard forever about how omg it is such a good show and now look at all those angry words i wrote

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

the movie was even worse because it was just super generic scifi

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

toby posted:

500 years into the future, the human race uses six shooters and speaks "cowboy mixed with chinese" and rides horses.

"i reckon y'all ain't 'bout to leave here without that warp compressor. 你想要一个啤酒"

joss whedon can't decide which set of cliches to use, so he uses all of them: space as the wild west; the victorian-style upper class complete with frilly dresses and loving sword duels are you loving kidding me; the evil star-wars-empire-style Alliance, who appear to be the only guys wearing clothes/using technology even halfway appropriate for a sci-fi set 500 years into the future.

There's a little dickensian criminal guy with a bowler hat, but his thugs are borrowed from some lovely current-day action flick about some fictional criminal underworld; there's a mean nazi-esque (or did he have a russian accent, whatever) old man criminal who is all "yes i am merciless look at this guy i had killed," he has a gigantic tattooed-face nordic caveman as his hired muscle; somehow the only people who are universally respected are some formal order of space prostitutes.

Captain rear end in a top hat saunters around punching everyone and being a total douchebag in every situation, but at the end of the episode they all love him anyway because he's mysterious and he secretly cares. Then you have Doctor Pansywaist and his annoying spaz of a sister, Cutesy Smileyface the magical mechanic, Grunt Angryman, Space Preacher, Super Whore, boring pilot husband and Generic Hot Strong Female Character wife, i'm probably missing some main character but who gives a poo poo

every character is a hamfisted caricature, every interaction is stilted and shallow, every mini-plot is stupid and generally driven by conflict that could have been avoided with a tiny bit of restraint or common sense

oh and also it's all "lol chinese" but so far, literally the only time chinese people have shown up they've been sick poor manual laborers or off-screen bartenders

i heard forever about how omg it is such a good show and now look at all those angry words i wrote

That is a lot of loving words for a show you don't like. Could have been worse, it could have been the anime it stole from, as seen in this spergy infographic.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i thought firefly was a fun show :)

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

saying that firefly stole from outlaw star is something that people who only heard of one show and watched the other say. its like those people who claim that the lion king ripped off some anime even though theyre nothing alike

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

NINbuntu 64 posted:

saying that firefly stole from outlaw star is something that people who only heard of one show and watched the other say. its like those people who claim that the lion king ripped off some anime even though theyre nothing alike

It's just what I've heard, I've only watched Firefly and I enjoyed it.

toby
Dec 4, 2002

maybe it will magically turn around and get better but from what i've seen so far, i'm thinking it is highly unlikely

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

toby posted:

maybe it will magically turn around and get better but from what i've seen so far, i'm thinking it is highly unlikely

watch like the first 3, if you hate em ditch it

i forget which ones are the proper first 3 cause fox made em shoot a new pilot and aired em out of order and crap, idunno

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
i liked firefly okay, i mean it was cheesy and dumb but it was fun

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

LP97S posted:

It's just what I've heard, I've only watched Firefly and I enjoyed it.

anime fans like to claim everything ripped off anime because it lets them think that japan is superior. every time it comes up i actually decide to check out these animes and theyre almost always just standard anime crap or nothing like the american counterpart

like kimba the white lion, which the lion king "ripped off"? its about a lion trying to bring human culture to other lions. yeah i dont know what the gently caress either but its kinda worth checking out since its by osamu tezuka and he knows what the gently caress is up when he makes something.

then theres nadia: the secret of blue water, which disney's atlantis supposedly ripped off. disneys atlantis is about a nerdy human being going to atlantis because his grandfather had notes about it and then some crap happens and its a really lame movie with bland, uninteresting characters and nothing happens but its all kinda pretty. its basically an anime that way. nadia is about a girl who escapes from the circus trying to return home to africa and theres some weird poo poo about neo-atlanteans who are a force of people from atlantis trying to take over the world

outlaw star, which firefly "ripped off" is one of those animes people like to rave about but its literally like every scifi action anime ever. there are a few superficial similarities, mostly in how theyre drawing a lot of inspiration from westerns and slapping them on top of a science fiction premise, but the style, tone, and characters are all completely different

tl;dr: anime fans like to say that things rip off anime even though the details are superficial at best

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

NINbuntu 64 posted:

anime fans like to claim everything ripped off anime because it lets them think that japan is superior. every time it comes up i actually decide to check out these animes and theyre almost always just standard anime crap or nothing like the american counterpart

like kimba the white lion, which the lion king "ripped off"? its about a lion trying to bring human culture to other lions. yeah i dont know what the gently caress either but its kinda worth checking out since its by osamu tezuka and he knows what the gently caress is up when he makes something.

then theres nadia: the secret of blue water, which disney's atlantis supposedly ripped off. disneys atlantis is about a nerdy human being going to atlantis because his grandfather had notes about it and then some crap happens and its a really lame movie with bland, uninteresting characters and nothing happens but its all kinda pretty. its basically an anime that way. nadia is about a girl who escapes from the circus trying to return home to africa and theres some weird poo poo about neo-atlanteans who are a force of people from atlantis trying to take over the world

outlaw star, which firefly "ripped off" is one of those animes people like to rave about but its literally like every scifi action anime ever. there are a few superficial similarities, mostly in how theyre drawing a lot of inspiration from westerns and slapping them on top of a science fiction premise, but the style, tone, and characters are all completely different

tl;dr: anime fans like to say that things rip off anime even though the details are superficial at best

agreed about all of these very specific anime references

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Panic! At The cisco posted:

agreed about all of these very specific anime references

i used to be a lovely weeaboo human being but now im just a lovely human being

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

toby posted:

Super Whore
namechange plz

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
is weeaboo a racist thing like porchmonkey

like could i say it at work

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Wilhelm_Scream.wav posted:

idk i dont think it has any real origins from japan but i never looked into it

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

toby posted:

oh and also it's all "lol chinese" but so far, literally the only times chinese people have shown up they've been sick poor manual laborers or off-screen bartenders

I would watch this, when's it on?

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Alright, sorry I brought it up. I've learned never to repeat anything I've skimmed across online. I liked Firefly but sci-fi was pretty much next to nothing good when it came out.

Wilhelm_Scream.wav posted:

From what I've read (breaking my own rule already), weeaboo as that term came from 4chan as a wordfilter for Wapanese (white people who want to be anime) and it caught on. The word itself came from Perry Bible Fellowship

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
weeaboo only applies to white ppl that watch anime though and as we all know nothing you say to a white person can hut their feeligns (im not being ironic theres literally no racial term that hurts white ppl)

Pussy Gaz0re
Nov 18, 2011

toby posted:

congrats... u captured the essence of joss "I am the worst ever" wheadon

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Kirk posted:

weeaboo only applies to white ppl that watch anime though and as we all know nothing you say to a white person can hut their feeligns (im not being ironic theres literally no racial term that hurts white ppl)

Calling a white person "racist" is the closest equivalent of calling a black person "friend of the family".

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kirk posted:

this but as serious as kirk is (unironically)

toby
Dec 4, 2002

Pussy Gaz0re posted:

congrats... u captured the essence of joss "I am the worst ever" wheadon

true

also i watched two more episodes and i think maybe writing out all the sperg rage helped, i am not angry at it anymore

now i can just laugh at the stupid things (christina hendricks's character busting out some spinning kick to the back of lame pilot's head)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

toby posted:

christina hendricks's character busting out
:sonia:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting