Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

Aniki posted:

Magnetic knife strips are pretty great for storing a few knives and not taking up counter or drawer space.

Yeah we had these at the restaurant I worked at for a couple of years and I loved them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Thirding the magnetic knife strip. However, if you don't want to/can't drill holes in your wall you can get one of those Kapoosh universal knife blocks. The cheaper ones have small footprints and they're good for orphan knives that didn't come in a set.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 6, 2012

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

CuddleChunks posted:

You know what's incredibly tedious that I don't want to fiddle around with anymore? Sharpening my knives.

You know what's available in cherry red and vroom vroom gets my knives nice and sharp? One of these.

There are loads of manual sharpeners that will let you get to the Scary Sharp level but I've had excellent results with this sharpener and touching up a blade is super quick. Plus, I can go to friend's houses and sharpen their knives every so often because they just never seem to get around to it.

My parents have one of these (read: maybe more money than sense), but it does a loving nice job keeping their knives nice and cutty.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

poronty posted:

So what's the most sensible method/tool for steaming stuff? I just realized I never steam anything because there's nothing among my equipment that is specifically for steaming. Is it the steel double/triple boiler/steamer? Are those bamboo steamers a better choice? Or are they for completely different things? I'm mainly looking for something to steam fish in.

I like these.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Randomity posted:

If I ever get an expensive knife, I'll look into one of those, but for my $25 Victorinox the Accusharp does the trick just fine.

If you're using a $25 Victorinox, you shouldn't be sharpening it. Just buy a new one when it needs sharpening. That's the point of Victorinox - they're disposable.

I've had mine for three years or so and it's never needed sharpening. Honing, yes. Sharpening knives is something you do very rarely. Honing them is something you do a lot!

Steve Yun posted:

Thirding the magnetic knife strip. However, if you don't want to/can't drill holes in your wall you can get one of those Kapoosh universal knife blocks. The cheaper ones have small footprints and they're good for orphan knives that didn't come in a set.

These work great for a few months, and then they bind up and stop working completely. Definitely avoid.

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 6, 2012

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Yeah, magnetic strips are pretty sweet. I have 2, one for my 4 good knives and one for the steak knives. I'd really recommend bamboo strips (or some other wood) over the vast majority of strips with exposed metal. You don't want your nice knives getting all scratched each time to grab for one or put it back. I have these ones and they work great:

http://www.amazon.com/Better-Houseware-2404-12-Magnetic/dp/B001J5XHK0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325814143&sr=8-1

The only "downside" is that they have 5 specific magnetic spots rather than a continuous strip. This actually works well for me because I have 4 nice knives and 8 steak knives, so it holds everything it position and I don't have to get all OCD making sure the knives are spaced out perfectly when hanging on the wall. These things look really nice too. I've gotten more compliments on these strips from my heathen friends than I have for the $400 in Shuns hanging on them.

Mr Executive fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 6, 2012

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Achmed Jones posted:

If you're using a $25 Victorinox, you shouldn't be sharpening it. Just buy a new one when it needs sharpening. That's the point of Victorinox - they're disposable.
What? No. A US$25 Victorinox will last a home cook a lifetime. Treating it as if it's disposable is silly. Would you toss a US$20 cast iron skillet or a US$20 carbon steel wok when they needed seasoning just because they're inexpensive?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

SubG posted:

What? No. A US$25 Victorinox will last a home cook a lifetime. Treating it as if it's disposable is silly. Would you toss a US$20 cast iron skillet or a US$20 carbon steel wok when they needed seasoning just because they're inexpensive?

None of those things ever need to be re-ground. Knives do after several years. You can re-sharpen a blade correctly, with something like a Spyderco or a set of whetstones, or you can pay $20 or so to have it done professionally. The former requires skill. The latter is just stupid when we're talking about Victorinox knives. A home chef should be able to get several years off of a knife before it needs to be reground. There is no excuse for ever buying one of those pull-through jobbers. A pull-through will get the blade sharp-ish, but if you're not going to bother doing it right you might as well skip the whole drat process and buy a new knife (if you're using Victorinox blades). If you're using expensive knives, then you should either learn to sharpen them properly or pony up to have it done professionally.

The comparison you make is simply silly. Seasoning and re-sharpening knives aren't remotely comparable.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Achmed Jones posted:

The comparison you make is simply silly. Seasoning and re-sharpening knives aren't remotely comparable.
Yes, insofar as properly reseasoning cast iron or carbon steel takes far longer than it takes to resharpen a knife.

Throwing an otherwise serviceable knife away because it's no longer sharp is asinine, and it's terrible advice to present as something that one should do. If you personally want to regard your tools as disposable garbage, and if you personally wish to feel blasé about filling a landfill with something that you could still be using years from now, that's your prerogative.

But the fact that Achmed Jones isn't willing to sharpen a perfectly good knife and would rather throw it away and buy another one doesn't mean that people in general shouldn't be sharpening them or should be regarding them as disposable, which is what you said.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Also, either investing in an easy sharpening system, like a Spyderco, or learning how to sharpen by hand with stones is a worthwhile investment for someone who intends to cook for a lifetime. If you choose to just throw your knives away you're being both lazy and economically retarded.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones

Valdara posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wedding/TY852FR2VISD

Anything that screams "OH GOD NO!"? Anything that looks too redundant or unnecessary or just stupid? I'm trying for a range of prices, and I'm not sure how well I succeeded at that.

I don't know if my dad got the same exact kind as you had listed, but he bought some of the Cuisinart cookware and rivets started getting loose after 3-5 years. I know they are highly rated so I'm not sure if it's a fluke or what, and he knows how to take care of his kitchen tools.

Also, I bought some Calphalon stuff years ago, but I didn't really like it and got rid of it. I don't use nonstick pans very often, but I've had some Anolon ones for years, and they are the only kind I like. They actually last; I've had them for at least 7 or 8 years.

I'd also ditch the double-duty cast iron dutch oven, and go for a regular, high-sided cast iron skillet and an enameled cast-iron dutch oven. You won't be able to do red wine or tomato based braises in that straight iron pot, and that would be a shame. Go for this, the price is more reasonable (or go for the Le Creuset or Staub) http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Color-6-Quart-Dutch-Island/dp/B000N501BK

Those thin flexy cutting board feel like poo poo and I hate them. Get some regular thickness cutting boards unless you plan on using them on top of another board or something.

For the silicone spatula, the heads of those stupid loving things always fall off. I have one of these and I love it: http://www.amazon.com/Chefn-Switchit-All-Purpose-Silicone-Spatula/dp/B00276BXQ0

That rolling garlic chopper looks dumb. Sorry.

Other things that I love and I think you should have:
Citrus squeezer: http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Citrus-Squeezer/dp/B0002BFZ16
Food scale: http://www.amazon.com/Escali-P115C-Digital-Multifunctional-Chrome/dp/B0007GAWRS
Nesting prep bowls: http://www.amazon.com/Bormioli-Rocco-Pompei-9-Piece-Nested/dp/B001J3017E
Food processor: http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DLC-10S-Classic-7-Cup-Processor/dp/B00004S9EM
Nice roasting pan (I just picked one): http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-LRS1805P-Contemporary-Stainless-Special-Value/dp/B0009W7ED0
Counterop toaster/convection oven (they are lifesavers): http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BOV800XL-1800-Watt-Convection-Toaster/dp/B001L5TVGW
Pizza stone: http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Supply-Round-Pizza-Stone/dp/B0000VLQRA
Salad spinner (I use this thing way more often than I ever thought I would): http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Salad-Spinner/dp/B00004OCKR

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I've never ever thrown a knife away of any sort ever. what the hell.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
actually nevermind, I mean there was this one time at taco bell where I had a spork and it pretty much got the job done so I was like 'seeya later knife'

and then I threw the spork away too booya :clint:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Also, if you are throwing Victorinox knives away every 3 years, in 9 years you've spent $100, which could buy you a very good knife indeed. Your wasteful, lazy attitude sickens me.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
So that's what I was doing wrong. Here I have all these Victorinox knives lying around, which is nice for when friends come over but not much else.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Achmed Jones posted:

These work great for a few months, and then they bind up and stop working completely. Definitely avoid.
Pull the noodle assembly out, cut off all the bent noodles with scissors, put back in and it works perfectly again. In fact, the noodles are less likely to bend after you've snipped some off and made some breathing room for them

Jeez what is it with you and throwing good stuff away instead of fixing it?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Achmed Jones posted:

Strange. Mine has been working flawlessly for about 6 years and still pulls in compliments from guests.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

I've had mine for three years or so and it's never needed sharpening. Honing, yes. Sharpening knives is something you do very rarely. Honing them is something you do a lot!
You're drawing an arbitrary distinction between different kinds of sharpening?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfelqZpapZA

Question for the Hivemind - I'm going to go to my local variety store and pick up a mortar and pestle. The bowl is bigger than my fist, it seems to run about $14USD and is a decent weight. Oh, it's a porcelain model, not marble.

Any radical objections? Is there some way better product I should be using for smashing up peppercorns and whatnot? I did use a stoneware plate and the unglazed bottom of a stoneware cup. Hahah it worked great and I felt a deep connection to my lazyass ancestors who couldn't be bothered to use a mortar and pestle either. Still, to be a little less goony, I'm hoping to upgrade.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a kitchen cart/mobile butcher block that is less than $400 and not too large? I would love another cooking surface, and need more storage for my growing kitchen.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Ikea? They have a bunch for $100-200

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Trying to avoid buying ikea, moved into a new place and I'd rather have something a bit sturdier.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CuddleChunks posted:

You're drawing an arbitrary distinction between different kinds of sharpening?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfelqZpapZA

Question for the Hivemind - I'm going to go to my local variety store and pick up a mortar and pestle. The bowl is bigger than my fist, it seems to run about $14USD and is a decent weight. Oh, it's a porcelain model, not marble.

Any radical objections? Is there some way better product I should be using for smashing up peppercorns and whatnot? I did use a stoneware plate and the unglazed bottom of a stoneware cup. Hahah it worked great and I felt a deep connection to my lazyass ancestors who couldn't be bothered to use a mortar and pestle either. Still, to be a little less goony, I'm hoping to upgrade.

Depending on material, they can be ridiculously easy to shatter or fracture...I asked earlier in this thread and got some mortar suggestions that i never followed up on

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Generalisimo Halal posted:

Trying to avoid buying ikea, moved into a new place and I'd rather have something a bit sturdier.

Avoid them all you want but the carts aren't pressed particle board or whatever, they're actual wood. I know, I use one.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40157485/

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

CuddleChunks posted:

I personally much prefer the ceramic models to anything made of solid stone.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

Achmed Jones posted:

So I should hone my Victorinox instead of sharpening it? Okay, not totally sure on what the difference is but, since this is the product thread, what is the best product to do that with?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Knockknees posted:

So I should hone my Victorinox instead of sharpening it? Okay, not totally sure on what the difference is but, since this is the product thread, what is the best product to do that with?

Honing is using a steel to straighten the edge. Sharpening is removing metal to form a new edge. Honing regularly can reduce the number of times you need to sharpen. But honing won't let you go years without sharpening. I've never seen figures like Achmed Jones is throwing out.

You should really be doing both, honing often and sharpening less often.

A steel for honing should not have any diamond or whatever in it, just steel. I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker for sharpening, but there are lots of options.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

taqueso posted:

A steel for honing should not have any diamond or whatever in it, just steel. I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker for sharpening, but there are lots of options.

Also, it should be as finely grooved as possible.

You can even get completely smooth steels, supposedly they work very well, but your knife needs to be extremely well-sharpened and you need to hone it every time you use it.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Psychobabble posted:

I personally much prefer the ceramic models to anything made of solid stone.

Thanks! I think the one I had my eye on was a block of porcelain with the textured/rough interior to better hold onto stuff. I'm hoping to order some decent spices from Penzy soon and want to make sure I can grind them up nicely.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A cheapo blade coffee grinder is great for coarsely chopping spices too.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Also a shot glass and a screwdriver handle will work in a pinch.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
I put my toasted spices in a tiny foil envelope and pulverize them with a hammer. It actually works better than when I used a lovely blade coffee grinder.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

I would argue for getting a cast iron pizza pan instead of a pizza stone, such as this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-Cast-Pizza-Black/dp/B0000E2V3X/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1325894758&sr=1-1

I've had better results, and it's much, much more durable.
Yes the lodge pan has a lip, but it's never gotten in the way for me.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

A Rambling Vagrant posted:

I put my toasted spices in a tiny foil envelope and pulverize them with a hammer. It actually works better than when I used a lovely blade coffee grinder.

Of all the low-tech solutions presented I might have to go with this one. I'd get a chunk of wood to cushion the impact but hahaha a dual-purpose metal peening / spice crushing stump would be funny as hell.

"Oh, when I'm not cooking I also like to make armor!"

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

BraveUlysses posted:

Depending on material, they can be ridiculously easy to shatter or fracture...I asked earlier in this thread and got some mortar suggestions that i never followed up on

I actually think a molcajete is a better/cooler choice than a cheap-to-mid-price mortar and pestle, as long as you get one that's actually made out of volcanic rock. It'll never wear down, because as the layers get ground down they expose more pits to grind with! Also you look cool using it and feel like a boss.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Any of you guys ever tried the Costco(Kirkland) brand cookware?

I saw this set in the store today:

http://reviews.costco.com/2070/11503441/kirkland-signature-kirkland-signature-13-piece-stainless-steel-cookware-set-reviews/reviews.htm

Everything seemed heavy-duty and decent quality, and the price wasn't bad.

Is there a better way to go for the money?

edit:

Also had my eye on their cast-iron enamel 6 quart Dutch oven.

herbaceous backson fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 7, 2012

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

a handful of dust posted:

Any of you guys ever tried the Costco(Kirkland) brand cookware?

I saw this set in the store today:

http://reviews.costco.com/2070/11503441/kirkland-signature-kirkland-signature-13-piece-stainless-steel-cookware-set-reviews/reviews.htm

Also had my eye on their cast-iron enamel 6 quart Dutch oven.
I have the dutch oven and I swear its as good as a Le Cruseit...

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
It should be money. And if you don't like it, you can bring it back with minimal hassle!

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
Is there a good deli slicer that can get really thin slices that isn't some $600+ monster?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

CuddleChunks posted:

Thanks! I think the one I had my eye on was a block of porcelain with the textured/rough interior to better hold onto stuff. I'm hoping to order some decent spices from Penzy soon and want to make sure I can grind them up nicely.

I've used the porcelain ones, and the noise of the grinding sets my teeth right on edge. I bought this one a few years back, and it's treated me well:

http://www.amazon.com/Stone-Granite-Mortar-Pestle-capacity/dp/B000163N6G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1326034112&sr=8-3

I got the largest sized one, and it came to like $25.

RE: Sharpening. The knife guys here in NYC charge like $5 - $6 per blade. Where are you going that asks $20? O_o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Are people happy with the size of the Sous Vide Supreme demi? It's the only model I can find here.

• Locked thread