Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

plaguedoctor posted:

1) Are those strips going to be strong enough to withstand constant use?

No, you will be lucky if you can even get them to hold the bar itself for fifteen minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I'm trying to make homemade bread. I used the following recipe and I'm curious how I might be able to adjust it so it's less dense.

5 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 pkg (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
2 1/4 cups milk (you can use water if you donft do dairy)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon butter or vegetable oil
2 teaspoons salt

1. In a large mixer bowl, combine 2 1/2 cups of flour and yeast.

2. In a saucepan or in the microwave, heat milk, sugar, butter, and salt to 115-120 degrees.

3. Add hot liquids to flour and yeast. Beat at low speed until combined, then beat at high speed for 3 minutes.

4. Add enough additional flour to make a soft, but kneadable dough, and turn out onto a floured surface. Knead for 5-10 minutes or until smooth and elastic.

5. Put dough back into mixing bowl, cover with wet tea towel, and let rise 1 hour.

6. Punch dough down, divide into two pieces, and roll into a rectangle, about 6x18. Starting from the short end, roll up jelly-roll style and place into two greased 4~8 inch loaf pans. Cover with wet tea towel and let rise 30-40 minutes, or until doubled.

7. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool before slicing.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I am not a bread expert, but I think you need to develop the gluten more (knead more) so it will contain the CO2 better and be more airy.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
So, my brother bought me a pasta machine for Christmas and I just used it for the first time. I was trying to make spaghetti, but I apparently made egg noodles, or possibly angel hair pasta (assuming there's a difference). Anyways, when I put the pasta through the rollers that chopped the sheets into strings, I let them sort of bunch up into a ball and chucked them into a bowl. Was this a mistake? Am I supposed to lay it out flat for a few minutes to dry instead? The problem I had was the noodles all sticking together, and staying fairly clumped up after I cooked them.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gerblyn posted:

So, my brother bought me a pasta machine for Christmas and I just used it for the first time. I was trying to make spaghetti, but I apparently made egg noodles, or possibly angel hair pasta (assuming there's a difference). Anyways, when I put the pasta through the rollers that chopped the sheets into strings, I let them sort of bunch up into a ball and chucked them into a bowl. Was this a mistake? Am I supposed to lay it out flat for a few minutes to dry instead? The problem I had was the noodles all sticking together, and staying fairly clumped up after I cooked them.

Unless your pasta is fairly dry to begin with, your best bet is to have a well floured counter and to kind of toss the noodles in that as soon as they are cut. I basically take noodles and act like im dusting the counter with them, then I hang them until I'm ready to cook.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones

Casu Marzu posted:

Make gougeres. Serve em by themselves or stuffed with something like a crab salad and they are great warm or cold.

Yes. Plus, you can make them ahead of time and just reheat them as necessary if you want to serve them warm. No matter how many you make, you will not have any left over.

Same goes for these: http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/12/garlic-butter-roasted-mushrooms/
No matter how much I make, there are none left over and everyone glares at me, asking me why I didn't make more (nevermind the fact that 2 lbs of mushrooms should be more than enough for 5 people when I have a full meal and dessert coming...). Serve with some sliced baguette. Put out breakfast radishes, good quality butter (European, cultured, etc.), and salt for even more fun (get little spreader knives for the butter).

Zismuth
Jun 18, 2011
I got this for Christmas and I haven't personally used it yet, partially because I've been busy and partially because I have no idea how to care for it. I know it's "pre-seasoned" but I get the feeling that it's not a very good seasoning. Last night, a guest used it for steak and afterwards scrubbed the hell out of it ("no, don't leave anything in there, it's already pre-seasoned!") Should I be leaving a little bit of grease or whatever in the pan after I use it? Does that mean I shouldn't be washing it? Is it possible that I'm just an idiot and worrying too much?

I read the old cast-iron thread and was still confused afterwards. Because I'm stupid.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Pre-seasoned means it's a good primer but it won't be non-stick until you cook fatty stuff in it for a few weeks.

The heat of cooking binds the grease/oil from your food to the pan. You can either leave the extra grease in there so that the next time you cook it's already greasy or you can clean all the grease off and just add oil every time you cook. Either way.

MAINTENANCE:

Wash with hot water and scrubbing with a bristle brush.

Dry it off completely before shelving/hanging it. Water won't hurt it right away but a few hours of it might.

No soap

REPAIR:

If it ever flakes off, just cook more fatty stuff in it and the seasoning will rebuild eventually

If it ever gets left overnight in soapy water or left outside in the rain and rusts up completely, scrub it down with steel wool, coat very lightly in vegetable oil and bake at 350-500 degrees for an hour. After that, cook lots of bacon.

That's about all you really need to know.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 7, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Hey guys, I really want an ice wand for chilling wort (instead of a bogus huge wort chiller coil that I can't use for stuff like soup). I clearly have the wrong search terms because all I can turn up is dildos; I expected some video game references at least. I haven't worked in a commercial kitchen for a decade and can't remember what the hell the right name is.

If it was up to me I'd get a rotovap and distill with it too but apparently $6000 isn't in the cards. :v:

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Unless your pasta is fairly dry to begin with, your best bet is to have a well floured counter and to kind of toss the noodles in that as soon as they are cut. I basically take noodles and act like im dusting the counter with them, then I hang them until I'm ready to cook.

Cool, thanks!

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Are there any manufacturers that make smooth cast-iron cookware?

I have a cast iron skillet my grandparents gave me, and the cooking surface is completely smooth and glassy. All the newer pieces I've seen have a much rougher texture.

A friend got a kick out of cooking in mine and I wanted to get him one as a gift, but the Lodge pans are all I can seem to find in stores.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Splizwarf posted:

Hey guys, I really want an ice wand for chilling wort (instead of a bogus huge wort chiller coil that I can't use for stuff like soup). I clearly have the wrong search terms because all I can turn up is dildos; I expected some video game references at least. I haven't worked in a commercial kitchen for a decade and can't remember what the hell the right name is.

If it was up to me I'd get a rotovap and distill with it too but apparently $6000 isn't in the cards. :v:

Something like this? I never even dreamed that such a thing existed.
http://store.hagarparts.com/browse.cfm/4,3569.html

Zismuth
Jun 18, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Thank you. Time to cook a ton of bacon I guess

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

a handful of dust posted:

I have a cast iron skillet my grandparents gave me, and the cooking surface is completely smooth and glassy. All the newer pieces I've seen have a much rougher texture.

A friend got a kick out of cooking in mine and I wanted to get him one as a gift, but the Lodge pans are all I can seem to find in stores.

Do you mean like an enameled cast iron pan or is it just metal?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

a handful of dust posted:

Use sandpaper on a lodge. You've just made a smooth surface on cast iron.

I have a couple smooth ones that my grandpa had. They were smoothed out from 5 decades of scraping with a metal spatula. I replicated the ice-slick surface with a good sandpapering and reseasoning.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Something like this? I never even dreamed that such a thing existed.
http://store.hagarparts.com/browse.cfm/4,3569.html

Exactly like that, thank you. They're meant for speed-cooling large volumes of soup in a commercial kitchen; if you just put 10 gallons of hot soup in a fridge (or even a freezer), it spends a long time out of the safe temperature zones (like seriously hours) and also dumps so much heat into the fridge that it can harm other food.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

FishBulb posted:

Do you mean like an enameled cast iron pan or is it just metal?

It's just bare(seasoned) metal, but the cooking surface is really smooth. I'm not sure whether it was made that way or if it's from three generations of cooking, though.

Casu Marzu posted:

Use sandpaper on a lodge. You've just made a smooth surface on cast iron.

I have a couple smooth ones that my grandpa had. They were smoothed out from 5 decades of scraping with a metal spatula. I replicated the ice-slick surface with a good sandpapering and reseasoning.

Cool, I'll give that a shot.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Why have I never made stock before? This poo poo is delicious. I am literally drinking it out of a cup.

P.S. It's rabbit!

Also, how do I store stock? I would like to freeze some in an ice cube tray but I don't have an ice cube tray. Any other way? Just freeze in plastic bags?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

razz posted:

Why have I never made stock before? This poo poo is delicious. I am literally drinking it out of a cup.

P.S. It's rabbit!

Also, how do I store stock? I would like to freeze some in an ice cube tray but I don't have an ice cube tray. Any other way? Just freeze in plastic bags?

I bought a bunch of tall, skinny Snapware containers just for using with stocks and soups, and they're perfect. Or you can just put it in a freezer bag and drop it into a conveniently sized/shaped container until it freezes. It took me a while to figure out what size worked best for me, but I've settled on 2-cup and 4-cup containers for my purposes.

Southern Vulcan
Apr 5, 2007
A colorful mix of Boomshine and Logic
Hey all, as an update I called the French place and the chef wouldn't take my call. The waiter said it was busy and to try again tomorrow. He was actually Sounded a bit like a dick. I'll call back then but I wanted to see if anyone else had an idea about the magnolia leaves in the mean time. Even just a name would be helpful. Based on how he sounded in the background I doubt he'll work with me.

If all else fails a goon recommendation on Tampa area restaurants would be fantastic. I googled it but everything that came up with a big name with a large seating area and I'm looking for something a little more intimate and cozy.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Did you call during dinner on a Saturday?

LeeJam
Nov 24, 2009
Hi GWS, Just wondering, what's the way to make perfect crackling on a pork roast?

I've googled, but there's a million different ways - which one works for you?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I find that either:
A) really really long render before roasting, or
B) cutting hash marks in the fat down to the meat and roasting in a hot oven at first, then turning down to a low oven to finish cooking

will get a great dark brown, crunchy crackling.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Southern Vulcan posted:

Hey all, as an update I called the French place and the chef wouldn't take my call. The waiter said it was busy and to try again tomorrow. He was actually Sounded a bit like a dick. I'll call back then but I wanted to see if anyone else had an idea about the magnolia leaves in the mean time. Even just a name would be helpful. Based on how he sounded in the background I doubt he'll work with me.

If all else fails a goon recommendation on Tampa area restaurants would be fantastic. I googled it but everything that came up with a big name with a large seating area and I'm looking for something a little more intimate and cozy.

Exactly what time did you call at?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Anyone have a good biscuits and sausage gravy recipe? More specifically the gravy, but every time I seem to follow one it ends up tasting a bit off from what I want. I can't quite describe what I'm looking for but the average recipe I see just ends up kind of bland.

Southern Vulcan
Apr 5, 2007
A colorful mix of Boomshine and Logic

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Exactly what time did you call at?

I called early on Saturday, around 4pm. I wouldn't call on Saturday night. I'd totally understand them being busy then. I hoped to beat the dinner crowd.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Southern Vulcan posted:

I called early on Saturday, around 4pm. I wouldn't call on Saturday night. I'd totally understand them being busy then. I hoped to beat the dinner crowd.

They could well have been up to their necks in prep for Saturday night, while dealing with people doing late lunches and afternoon snacks as well. If I were you, I'd call (or better pop by) round 3 or 4 on Tuesday-Thursday.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

Anyone have a good biscuits and sausage gravy recipe? More specifically the gravy, but every time I seem to follow one it ends up tasting a bit off from what I want. I can't quite describe what I'm looking for but the average recipe I see just ends up kind of bland.

I don't use a recipe, but the basic technique is to brown off whatever sausage I have, add butter if there is not enough fat left and add in a good quantity of minced onion. Cook it down until very soft, sprinkle in flour and cook it out. Then hit it with milk and simmer it for ten minutes or so. Then add in the sausage, season pretty heavily with salt, pepper and hot sauce and finish it with a bit of cream.

Butter, sausage fat, onions, hot sauce and dairy are the main components, they just need to be in enough quantity to make it rich.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Onions sound like an interesting addition. I'll try it out.

Bookish
Sep 7, 2006

80% sexy 20% disgusting
I just bought my first ever bottle of sriracha sauce, after reading so many raves about it on the internet. What should I do with it?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Make scrambled eggs.

Bookish
Sep 7, 2006

80% sexy 20% disgusting

Scientastic posted:

Make scrambled eggs.

Delicious! Thanks. We are having burgers on the grill for dinner and I bet it will be awesome on that too.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I have found that Sriracha goes really well in small amounts on mac and cheese.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
^
That

Bookish posted:

I just bought my first ever bottle of sriracha sauce, after reading so many raves about it on the internet. What should I do with it?

Put some in a bloody mary, leftover pizza, cold peanut spicy noodles, or in a peach chutney.

Whats the diffrence between Sambal Oelek and Sriracha? Is sambal just more tart than the Sirracha?

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Two Headed Calf posted:

^
That

Put some in a bloody mary, leftover pizza, cold peanut spicy noodles, or in a peach chutney.

Whats the diffrence between Sambal Oelek and Sriracha? Is sambal just more tart than the Sirracha?

Sambal is slightly more tart and quite a bit saltier. The texture is also more of a rougher mortar-ground paste rather than thick smooth ketchup, as Sriracha is.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Where can I find some good lard? I went to the latino section of a couple of markets nearby but could only find the HUGE tubs of hydrogenated stuff. That's bad right? Joke's probably on me anyway since I ended up using vegetable shortening, but even then I just want a smaller amount than a huge tub to try out.

PokeJoe posted:

I just made this with his biscuit recipe for brunch and it was delicious. If you're used to a more runny gravy I'd probably double the roux and liquid portions while keeping the 1 lb. of sausage the same. It was definitely very flavorful. "Insane" amount of pepper is right.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Are there any cooking shows worth watching besides "No Reservations"? With that I mean that it's the only show I know. Apart from one episode of Sophie Dahl's stuff, which I didn't like that much.

Some kind of travel/cooking crossover with international dishes would be great.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

midnightclimax posted:

Are there any cooking shows worth watching besides "No Reservations"? With that I mean that it's the only show I know. Apart from one episode of Sophie Dahl's stuff, which I didn't like that much.

Some kind of travel/cooking crossover with international dishes would be great.

Gordon Ramsay's UK shows are all fantastic. Look up Gordan Great Escape and The F Word. The former is more about travelling and cooking and eating various regional cuisines, while the latter is more of a food magazine in TV show format.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
What's a good price for a pound of clams? I live in the midwest, so I'm not expecting great quality (or great prices), but I saw them for $5.99/lb. Is that a good deal, or should I skip them?

And if I buy some, what should I do with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
You should do a homemade pasta with clams.. simple yet delicious!