Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maduin
Mar 4, 2003

randyest posted:

I remember some jailbreaker dev nerd saying not to upgrade to 5.0.1 but is that still reasonable advice for a 4s? I'm tired of seeing that (1) badge on settings.

They've said you can absolutely safely upgrade to 5.0.1, but not beyond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Also there's still no jailbreak for the 4S because it's an A5 based device.

Edit: he managed to make an untethered JB for his 4S but it's useless to the public at large because the inject he used only works if you have a developer account. He's still looking for a real, distributable solution with the help of several big guns from the JB world.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 8, 2012

ConfusedNudeMan
Feb 20, 2004

I'm gay for Frank Dux!
I recently upgraded from 4.3.3 to 5.0.1 on my iPhone 4 and jailbroke it (untethered). After 2 days, I am having a major problem and I am not sure if it has to do with the upgrade or the jailbreak or something random. Some iPhone native apps such as YouTube, Safari, AppStore and iTunes crash 2-3 seconds after opening. I can maybe see a splash screen or menus and then it closes right to the homescreen. I have tried everything but wiping the phone fresh. Anyone having or had this problem before? I can really use some help here. I don't want to restore my phone for nothing.

Edit: Anyone have any experience with this? I am highly considering wiping my phone, but I have heard conflicting reports of the problem persisting and it fixing the problem. Ugh.

ConfusedNudeMan fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 8, 2012

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Friday afternoon my job dropped off my iPhone 4 running 5.0.1, and thank goodness for this thread.

We seriously get no texting with our phones. But we do get unlimited data though so jailbreaking it was the only way to use this drat thing. Who doesn't text these days?

Right now it's jailbroken, and sms/phone gv extension are working perfectly. I'm running SBsettings & biteSMS so far and really loving the phone like this.

I guess eventually I'll stop being cheap and get MyWi, I just don't know how I feel about a $20 app.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

It owns. You can bluetooth, tether, and have a wifi hotspot. How is that not worth $20?

Unfortunately assuming you have at&t they throttle your speed down a lot if you get in the top 5% of bandwidth users. Which seems surprisingly easy to hit.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
If I am getting "no identifying data fetched" while trying to just boot tethered my iPhone 4 with redsn0w can I assume it is because the wifi on this Amtrack train sucks too much to connect to whatever servers it needs to connect to?

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

Christoff posted:

It owns. You can bluetooth, tether, and have a wifi hotspot. How is that not worth $20?

Unfortunately assuming you have at&t they throttle your speed down a lot if you get in the top 5% of bandwidth users. Which seems surprisingly easy to hit.

It's mostly because I don't think I need it! I get that it's useful, but I'm rarely not around wi-fi as it is. I don't carry my laptop except when I travel, so I don't know if it's really worth it for me.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I thought the same but there'll be a moment that you wish you had it.

Plus throwing up a wifi hotspot owns

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I am going to try PDAnet free for 2 weeks and see if I find it useful.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Unless it changed you had to have a program on your computer to connect. It was annoying and buggy.

Works well enough though

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Is there any reason to use pdanet or mywi since Tetherme can enable the builtin BT and wifi tethering for like a buck?

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Christoff posted:

Unless it changed you had to have a program on your computer to connect. It was annoying and buggy.

Works well enough though

It is a wifi hotspot & also does USB but I have little interest in USB.

WPA2 as well.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

xie posted:

It is a wifi hotspot & also does USB but I have little interest in USB.

WPA2 as well.
Tetherme does wifi, USB and BT. Not sure about WPA2.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Binary Badger posted:

Also there's still no jailbreak for the 4S because it's an A5 based device.

Edit: he managed to make an untethered JB for his 4S but it's useless to the public at large because the inject he used only works if you have a developer account. He's still looking for a real, distributable solution with the help of several big guns from the JB world.
Why not release it so those with dev accounts can use it? Lots of people have dev accounts and probably > 0 of them also make JB apps, so they could get started ofixing old and making new apps for A5/5.0.1.

mewse
May 2, 2006

it would let apple see how he pulled it off in order to benefit the trivial amount of jailbreakers with legit dev accounts

xie
Jul 29, 2004

dexter6 posted:

Tetherme does wifi, USB and BT. Not sure about WPA2.
cool for 5 bucks its probably what ill go with if i find it useful

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
What's the most efficient way to narrow down a battery drain?

Is there an app out there that can give me statistics on my battery usage? If there were, my plan would be to uninstall various jailbreak packages one at a time, using the battery monitor to identify the problematic package. I feel like the drain is not significant enough to be able to narrow down the issue without a battery usage monitor of some type.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Xenomorph posted:

Install KillBackground and close stuff more often. If you keep > 50 Megs free at all times, you shouldn't have any performance issues.

iOS 5.0.x isn't that much more demanding than iOS 4.3.x was.

I had SBSettings installed so I was killing processes all the time. Too much headache, I'm going back to 4.2.1 at this moment. Also I couldn't get a few cydia apps to work with 5.0.x since they haven't been updated yet so that was the final deciding factor. Also it didn't report battery usage correctly and I only got around 8-10 hours a day out of my phone, once I got to around 22% my phone would shut down.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

keykey posted:

I had SBSettings installed so I was killing processes all the time. Too much headache, I'm going back to 4.2.1 at this moment. Also I couldn't get a few cydia apps to work with 5.0.x since they haven't been updated yet so that was the final deciding factor. Also it didn't report battery usage correctly and I only got around 8-10 hours a day out of my phone, once I got to around 22% my phone would shut down.

Don't kill with SBSettings. There are too many steps involved that way: You have to bring up the program window, go to the Processes button, and then it only closes one thing at a time (and allows you to close things I don't recommend closing, like the Phone process). You could spend minutes pecking away at your screen, trying to close every little app.

With KillBackground, you just double-click Home and tap the skull and crossbones button. It literally takes just 1 second to have it close and remove everything displayed in the Task Switcher.

Regarding the battery, you may need to calibrate that some. Fully discharge & charge a few times. iOS 5.0 shouldn't be causing premature shutdowns.

If you want the best performance with the least resources used, go with iOS 4.1. I don't know if there are any 4.2.1 features you need (AirPlay?), but a lot of things are going to be requiring 4.3 anyway, so sticking with 4.2.1 is going to bring up compatibility issues eventually.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Rick Rickshaw posted:

What's the most efficient way to narrow down a battery drain?

Is there an app out there that can give me statistics on my battery usage? If there were, my plan would be to uninstall various jailbreak packages one at a time, using the battery monitor to identify the problematic package. I feel like the drain is not significant enough to be able to narrow down the issue without a battery usage monitor of some type.

Turn off unnecessary location services such as timezone and weather.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Does anyone with LockInfo have any advice for how to configure alarms so they show up correctly? Currently when an alarm goes off, it reverts to a regular iOS lockscreen instead of just popping up over LockInfo like it did when I was on 4.3.3.

This is on iOS 5.0.1 with LockInfo 4.0.2.13

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Bunk Rogers posted:

Turn off unnecessary location services such as timezone and weather.

I decided to install top.

Anyone know what this mediaserverd process is all about? It's at around 7-8% cpu usage most of the time, except for every 10 seconds or so it jumps to 40%~

edit: It seems only active when my phone is locked.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 9, 2012

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I decided to install top.

Anyone know what this mediaserverd process is all about? It's at around 7-8% cpu usage most of the time, except for every 10 seconds or so it jumps to 40%~

edit: It seems only active when my phone is locked.

Whatever it is, mine is using approximately 0%, very consistently.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Ezrem posted:

Whatever it is, mine is using approximately 0%, very consistently.

As my edit concluded, it is at 0% while the the phone is unlocked, or locked after a respring. Once I unlock and re-lock, it's back to its 8% up to 40+% dance in 10 second intervals.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Rick Rickshaw posted:

As my edit concluded, it is at 0% while the the phone is unlocked, or locked after a respring. Once I unlock and re-lock, it's back to its 8% up to 40+% dance in 10 second intervals.

Definitely not that way in my case. Just sits at basically 0 all the time. Locked, unlocked, doesn't seem to matter.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Anyone know what this mediaserverd process is all about?

System sounds

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Not sure why my mother is having so many more issues with the jailbreaking stuff than I did, but she's ran into an issue where:

1) iMessages will not send pictures (it says they are sent but the other end never gets them; she can still send images through standard SMS and/or to non-idevices)
and
2) Facetime freezes the phone until the other end hangs up (audio still works, no picture on either side).

I can find cases of people with similar issues but they all seem to be on ipods, tethered jailbreak, and/or are using fixes that involve faking a carrier package. She's on a iPhone 4 (not s), with the 5.0.1 untethered jailbreak. She hasn't changed or installed anything in the last few days and these issues only arose yesterday, so we don't have any real jumping off point to work with.

She's also having an ongoing issue (even from before jailbreaking), where the springboard will randomly restart, having presumably crashed, absurdly often. Apparently, though it happens occasionally at random, it consistently occurs when pressing a text message notification from within another app. Happened before the jailbreak so this probably isn't the best thread to ask about it in, but you guys know more about the devices than I do so I thought I'd ask.

Using an almost identical setup (only real differences being themes and different app store apps) on my iPod Touch 4g, and having none of these issues, for what its worth.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Ok, so I have a jailbroken iphone 4 that I want to upgrade to 5.0.1 and jailbreak again. Do I just upgrade it in itunes? And then jailbreak it? I've looked around and it seems that way but I really don't want to screw myself out of my jb. Will I have to reinstall all my aps and cydia stuff or does that carry over?

Sorry to be 'that guy'.

Cacahuate
Feb 21, 2007
OMG! (•_•) You are a peanut!
Is winterboard safe to install?? I installed a bunch of stuff including winterboard and after rebooting my phone all apps opened at 1/4 the regular size on an iphone 4 (most probably a retina display related issue) and where unusable unless I was on Safe Mode. I restored and rejailbroke it.
I suspect this was caused by winterboard since it deals with graphics but I'm unsure. Anyone got a similar experience who can help me out please?

sixdeadpandas
Jan 15, 2011
I have an old ipod touch (2nd gen) on 3.1.3. can someone tell me the easiest way to jailbreak it? I remember doing it for my iphone 3g with redsnow et al a long time ago, but I've been out of the loop and I don't know which software is in favor now.

e: I'd prefer not to update past 3.1.3

sixdeadpandas fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 10, 2012

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Cacahuate posted:

Is winterboard safe to install?? I installed a bunch of stuff including winterboard and after rebooting my phone all apps opened at 1/4 the regular size on an iphone 4 (most probably a retina display related issue) and where unusable unless I was on Safe Mode. I restored and rejailbroke it.
I suspect this was caused by winterboard since it deals with graphics but I'm unsure. Anyone got a similar experience who can help me out please?

What else did you install? WinterBoard is totally safe. Was a theme installed at the same time? Safe Mode was probably triggered by a non-compatible app.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Any jailbroken apps that will hard reset your iPad at a certain time?

I have a jailbroken iPad 1, so it'll be cool if it would automatically hard reset while I'm sleeping so it's fast and ready to go in the morning. Would this be bad for it?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

89 posted:

I have a jailbroken iPad 1, so it'll be cool if it would automatically hard reset while I'm sleeping so it's fast and ready to go in the morning. Would this be bad for it?

I don't necessarily know that it would be bad for the device, but it's probably not the easiest way to do what you want. Is there a reason you wouldn't just kill all the tasks before you go to sleep or after you wake up? Your device shouldn't just start slowing down over time, it slows down because all the memory is being used up, and a hard reset is neither the fastest nor the best way to free memory.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

89 posted:

You can use iScheduler to reboot on a given schedule, but as Funky G said above me, it really shouldn't be necessary. Check out this video that shows you that iOS does a really good job of managing processes running (or no longer running) on your device without you loving around with it:

https://vimeo.com/34660348

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
What's a good Winterboard/Dreamboard theme? I've checked out a few, but none really blow me away.

Also, themes aren't skinning my status bar and dock, how can I fix that?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Why the hell should Optimum Online give a poo poo if I jailbroke or not?!

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Why the hell should Optimum Online give a poo poo if I jailbroke or not?!

Search Cydia for xcon.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

89 posted:

If you're having performance issues due to low memory, just run something like KillBackground to to clear out all background apps at once. I really like it on my 3GS.

You shouldn't have to reboot.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Xenomorph posted:

If you're having performance issues due to low memory, just run something like KillBackground to to clear out all background apps at once. I really like it on my 3GS.

You shouldn't have to reboot.

Seconding this. So much easier than using SBSettings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostSeven
Apr 23, 2005

Yesterday Was A Million Years Ago

HorseDickSandwich posted:

I go to a site called digitalvanity.me, it's pretty decent. The guy that runs it scours all kinds of places and finds some decent looking stuff. He posts it with a link to where he got it, so you can get whatever theme it may be.

http://www.iconpaper.org is also good, they don't update too often, but if you find something you like, you can probably track it down on MacThemes to see if it's updated. Most themes from iOS 4.3 will work on 5.

Modmyi.com forums have a big section for themes, but just like MacThemes, you'll have to move through the garbage to get to something decent.

Thank you, both sites look very interesting, I shall have a browse.

• Locked thread