Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I still do not get the whole blank key thing... it's it mainly just an ePeen thing, or what? The argument that it stops you from looking at the keys frankly doesn't hold much water to me, since my desk is arranged such that my keyboard is under my desk, on a drawer when I type. Just seems like another way to be obnoxious and make it difficult for someone to use your computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Fuzz posted:

Just seems like another way to be obnoxious and make it difficult for someone to use your computer.

Sounds like a valid reason to me.

Personally, I just like the minimal look. Makes the desk look cleaner.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Fuzz posted:

I still do not get the whole blank key thing... it's it mainly just an ePeen thing, or what? The argument that it stops you from looking at the keys frankly doesn't hold much water to me, since my desk is arranged such that my keyboard is under my desk, on a drawer when I type. Just seems like another way to be obnoxious and make it difficult for someone to use your computer.
1. You learn to type without looking.
2. It prevents most people from using your computer (a good or bad thing depending).
3. As a person from a non-English country, I don't have to get a separate keyboard, if I get work in another country, since I can just change the language settings in my OS. The same applies to other people using my keyboard, assuming they know where the keys are.
4. It looks fantastic, especially if you have a black set-up. (And you don't have to worry about ugly typefaces.)

ufarn fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 8, 2012

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ufarn posted:

2. It prevents most people from using your computer (a good or bad thing depending).
3. As a person from a non-English country, I don't have to get a separate keyboard, if I get work in another country, since I can just change the language settings in my OS. The same applies to other people using my keyboard, assuming they know where the keys are.
4. It looks fantastic, especially if you have a black set-up. (And you don't have to worry about ugly typefaces.)

You forgot to mention that you don't have to worry about the keys fading over time as well.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

akadajet posted:

You forgot to mention that you don't have to worry about the keys fading over time as well.
I wondered about that, but I don't know if that's the case with mechanical keyboards, being as used to only crappy keyboards as I am. The keys on my ThinkPad T500 look as great as when I got them four-ish years ago, although the coarse surface has been worn down to a smooth sheen.

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!
Does anyone have experience with the WASD white and off-white keycaps? I'm customizing a new keyboard and I can't decide which keycaps will give me what I'm going for -- this is what the designer looks like with the off-white caps:

I think the white caps are too white and since the grey is extremely dark compared to something like IBM Model M grey, it will look strange.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Fuzz posted:

The same reason I don't have note-names engraved onto the keys of my piano incase a non-pianist wants to try to play jinglebells on it.

So yes, to answer your question, it's ePeen (and aesthetics).

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

ufarn posted:

1. Uhh. You can learn to type without looking by just...not looking. Not that hard. Anyway, no hunt and peckers are going to be enough of a nerd to buy a blank keyboard.
2. Fine, but not what I would really call a benefit.
3. This is so stupid. You think having letters printed on your keycaps stops you from changing the language settings? Learning to touch-type Finnish is going to be just as hard on a regular keyboard as a blank one, possibly harder because at least some of the keys will be the same as the US layout.
4. This is the only one I can accept as being a real benefit. The whole thing comes down to ego and aesthetics.

edit: I have a question of my own, actually: I know this thread has become almost 100% about mechanical keyboards, but I'd love to find a cheap keyboard with a crisp feel, media buttons, and full 6KRO for gaming. Anyone have any ideas?

Magic Underwear fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 8, 2012

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Magic Underwear posted:

The whole thing comes down to ego and aesthetics.

So?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

The Devil Tesla posted:

So?

I didn't mean to sound so negative. Nothing wrong with getting blank keycaps if you like them, but they don't offer any real benefits and they can be a annoying when you can't remember which number key to press to get &.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Magic Underwear posted:

I didn't mean to sound so negative. Nothing wrong with getting blank keycaps if you like them, but they don't offer any real benefits and they can be a annoying when you can't remember which number key to press to get &.

If the person memorised it, what's the problem? I'd know what that is. I don't have blank keycaps but I do type Dvorak all the time and all my keyboards are currently QWERTY (until I get a WASD!).

I guess some people have over-estimated their ability to use a blank keyboard, and for them, it's clearly pointless. Eh. It's a fun option.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
I like blank for the sleek look, I only run into problems with getting () in the right order. We had a lot of fun at work when my blank WASD came in, I had all of my coworkers in a line to try a typing test on it. The scores went from 100+ WPM all the way down to a guy who gave up in frustration after failing to complete the first three words.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Protokoll posted:

Does anyone have experience with the WASD white and off-white keycaps? I'm customizing a new keyboard and I can't decide which keycaps will give me what I'm going for -- this is what the designer looks like with the off-white caps:

[tg]http://i.imgur.com/TkCV4.png[/timg]

I think the white caps are too white and since the grey is extremely dark compared to something like IBM Model M grey, it will look strange.

White is super white. Off white is what IBM would call pearl white; think of the original IBM model M cream color.
Here's a pretty accurate picture:

I'd go with IBM style off-white and the lighter grey like this though, because :black101:

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

jwoven posted:

I'd go with IBM style off-white and the lighter grey like this though, because :black101:

Yeah this looks pretty good! I'd buy that.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Fuzz posted:

The argument that it stops you from looking at the keys frankly doesn't hold much water to me, since my desk is arranged such that my keyboard is under my desk, on a drawer when I type.

Perhaps most of us do not have keyboard trays that are comfortable to use under the desk, or at all? That's kind of an unusual set up, and doesn't nullify the argument for most people.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
There is no keyboard tray in the world that could hold the weighty, bulky might of the Model M without experiencing some kind of catastrophic mechanical failure.

On a more serious note, I tend to not like those keyboard trays in general, they are usually too low, wiggle and wobble and eventually break, and increase the distance between the keyboard and the mouse, so they don't uaually have my recommendation.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
To be honest, I'm not sure how blank keys help train you to not look at your keyboard and increase your WPM, at least for normal everyday typing (like the stuff in this post). I mean, if I look down right now, with my hands on the keyboard, the only keys that are visible are the number row and rtyughvbn\. Even if I was subconsciously glancing down, most of the keys are covered by my hands, and the keyboard's pretty far out of my field of view anyway so I'd think I'd notice.
I had a blank Das Keyboard for five or six years, and either I wouldn't notice, or I'd try to type out a # or something and then end up doing ! backspace % backspace $ backspace #, because I rarely used (use) those keys and never had to learn them.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

ufarn posted:

I wondered about that, but I don't know if that's the case with mechanical keyboards, being as used to only crappy keyboards as I am. The keys on my ThinkPad T500 look as great as when I got them four-ish years ago, although the coarse surface has been worn down to a smooth sheen.

I think it depends, a lot of keyboards just have the characters silk screened while some have the characters actually molded into the plastic keycaps, specifically to prevent this from happening. A lot of higher-end keyboards also do this iirc. Decades old IBM Model Ms do not have the issue of characters wearing off, even the newer Unicomps don't. I kinda have a similar issue to you though with coarse surfaces wearing smooth over time, there is a noticable spot that occupies the right third of every space key on every keyboard I own where I press it. It's most noticable on my netbook because sometimes my greasy fingers slip on it and I type m or n instead of space.

E: As for blank keys, I can do with or without them, if Unicomp offered blank keycaps I might give them a try but I don't look at my keyboard anyways and can type with my eyes closed. I wouldn't give up on my Model M over whether or not it has blank keys.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 9, 2012

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

zachol posted:

To be honest, I'm not sure how blank keys help train you to not look at your keyboard and increase your WPM, at least for normal everyday typing (like the stuff in this post). I mean, if I look down right now, with my hands on the keyboard, the only keys that are visible are the number row and rtyughvbn\. Even if I was subconsciously glancing down, most of the keys are covered by my hands, and the keyboard's pretty far out of my field of view anyway so I'd think I'd notice.
I had a blank Das Keyboard for five or six years, and either I wouldn't notice, or I'd try to type out a # or something and then end up doing ! backspace % backspace $ backspace #, because I rarely used (use) those keys and never had to learn them.

Because you are liable to cheat when you don't know where a key is and you're in a hurry. If the key is blank you're forced to use your memory of where the key is 100% of the time.

It's the same reason that if you learn colemak / dvorak people recommend that you don't actually switch / relabel your keys because you can slow down your learning by giving yourself the crutch of being able to check visually where they key is.

As a programmer I can't count the number of people I've seen who can "touch-type", but always need to look at the keyboard when typing numbers or symbols, which is actually pretty bad because that's the most important time to be watching the screen and seeing what autocomplete is doing i.e. adding closing braces in the wrong place and making sure they didn't accidentally type only one | instead of two.

If these people have been typing for 20 years and still haven't learned where the ampersand key is, then maybe they'd benefit from having their key caps sandblasted. :D

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Well the thing is I never use those keys. I use the & (and just now I had to fumble at # and % before looking down and seeing "oh it's on the 7") about once every couple of months. What do I use it for? Saying something like "M&Ms," maybe. I've become familiar with { and } and where the \ and the / are because I do use them, but even when I used a blank keyboard for years and years I never learned which is which for #$%^&* because it doesn't come up, not even often enough to actually learn.
Obviously, this is because I don't program, or do anything else where those come up. For things I do use (like { or | or >) I learned them anyway. Like now that I've switched over to a printed keyboard, my process has literally gone from "# no % no * no & there we go" to "# no % okay I'll just look oh & done."

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

RobattoJesus posted:

If these people have been typing for 20 years and still haven't learned where the ampersand key is, then maybe they'd benefit from having their key caps sandblasted. :D

Or learn a language that doesn't bog the programmer down with pointers and references. :smug:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Anybody have a source of POM keycaps? I'm looking to spice up my Filco at work.

Blank keycap debate: I have a Leopold with blank keycaps because I bought it off of a goon cheap; I really don't care either way for it because I never, ever look down at the keyboard. My girlfriend on the other hand is pretty hateful about it because she does some HTML stuff on the side and she doesn't know where all of the @#$$%^&* and <>/[] is at.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

akadajet posted:

Or learn a language that doesn't bog the programmer down with pointers and references. :smug:

Or &&, ||, *, fart(), @sqlVar, #comments, <html>, {json}, etc. Also hope you never write ^regex$.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

glompix posted:

Or &&, ||, *, fart(), @sqlVar, #comments, <html>, {json}, etc. Also hope you never write ^regex$.
I have to admit writing Mako templates in Python with tags like ${self.these} is proving to be a bit of a challenge. Guess I just need to write syntax like that more often to get used to it.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I upgraded my white filco with a red esc key and added a 3-star leather wrist rest from https://www.elitekeyboards.com

The wrist rest is fantastic! I wish I would have purchased one sooner.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Phone posted:

Anybody have a source of POM keycaps? I'm looking to spice up my Filco at work.

Blank keycap debate: I have a Leopold with blank keycaps because I bought it off of a goon cheap; I really don't care either way for it because I never, ever look down at the keyboard. My girlfriend on the other hand is pretty hateful about it because she does some HTML stuff on the side and she doesn't know where all of the @#$$%^&* and <>/[] is at.

I've looked before and found nothing - the only people who seem to have the are the ones harvesting them from Cherry/Noppoo keyboards

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I ordered a tenkeyless from elitekeyboards and they sent me a full size keyboard. The model number doesn't match. It has the same switches at least. The leopold build quality (except stabilizer for space) is much better than the ducky as well.

Now I don't know what to do. Full size with reds for $100 shipped is kind of neat, but I ordered tenkeyless due to size not price. :(

edit: Nevermind, they sent me the wrong keyboard and its controller (actually probably the micro usb port) is defective. And my windows/application drive died. Sigh.

edit2: EKB support is pretty awesome. They are shipping me a new keyboard right away with a paid return label.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 10, 2012

ufarn
May 30, 2009

spaceship posted:

I upgraded my white filco with a red esc key and added a 3-star leather wrist rest from https://www.elitekeyboards.com

Doesn't it get annoying when you move the keyboard around automatically?

I'd love to get one for my Filco, but I don't think it will work well when it can't be fastened to the keyboard.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

ufarn posted:

Doesn't it get annoying when you move the keyboard around automatically?

I'd love to get one for my Filco, but I don't think it will work well when it can't be fastened to the keyboard.

It's really heavy - it doesn't need to be fastened to the keyboard

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
For people having issues with elitekeyboards, just email the guy. I think it's a 1 or 2 man operation, but he's quick to email you back with any inquiries; I emailed him about the availability of the tenkeyless shields when they were out of stock, and he found a few in storage and sent one off.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

glompix posted:

Time for me to repeat my request for someone to make a keyboard with about 4 extra horizontal keys on the main QWERTY section. No more left-shift pinky stress!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Phone posted:

For people having issues with elitekeyboards, just email the guy. I think it's a 1 or 2 man operation, but he's quick to email you back with any inquiries; I emailed him about the availability of the tenkeyless shields when they were out of stock, and he found a few in storage and sent one off.

Yeah, it was no hassle to cancel my Leopold order with them... turnaround was like 13 hours or so.

On the topic of my keyboard, I absolutely love my K90. I dunno how I put up with my lovely Logitech before, because it's a joy to type on this thing. The macro keys are also great because you can program them for Windows functions and there's 3 hardware profiles togglable with a button press, (and an infinite number of software ones you can toggle in the software) so I have one entire profile for all my most used programs and simple stuff like automatically typing out my name and title for use on the fly. Pretty drat handy to have dedicated keys for that.

Great keyboard, for those interested.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

~Coxy posted:

Space cadet keyboard for a modern generation. I kind of like it, actually.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

~Coxy posted:

Time for me to repeat my request for someone to make a keyboard with about 4 extra horizontal keys on the main QWERTY section. No more left-shift pinky stress!

I would like a keyboard where the number row is just the symbols, I automatically use the num pad for any numbers anyway.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

spaceship posted:

drat, I kind of want a tenkeyless wrist rest now. While I love my full-size one, it's like a caricature against a smaller keyboard.

Apparently WASD has a wrist rest now too, and it clips onto the keyboard. I really didn't like the look of the elongated, rounded front lip, but the wrist rest makes it look really slick.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

pienipple posted:

I would like a keyboard where the number row is just the symbols, I automatically use the num pad for any numbers anyway.

You could edit your keyboard layout to do this easily enough.

Add in some custom keycaps from WASD, and done.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Hey glompix how was coding on the Choc Mini? I'm a little concerned about the right shift being offset by the up arrow...

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

Hey glompix how was coding on the Choc Mini? I'm a little concerned about the right shift being offset by the up arrow...

After some key switching in AutoHotKey, pretty loving good. I'll always want a full-sized keyboard for work, but it definitely does the trick. Takes some time to get used to the arrow/home/end placement, but after a day I was used to it.

Only complaints would be no numpad and if you switch your pgup/pgdn keys to home/end, paging through intellisense suggestions is a little awkward. I hit F1 a few times by accident instead of Esc, too, but I should have that button disabled anyway.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

pienipple posted:

That's a great idea. I still want the extra dedicated keys for common things like < > ? " but maybe that could reduce the horizontal requirements a little.

MK II:

Dropped two key widths, added ( ) to the new heightened numpad, new tab key provides more reason for the lonely right-shift key, and have a few more spare keys on the main matrix.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

~Coxy posted:

That's a great idea. I still want the extra dedicated keys for common things like < > ? " but maybe that could reduce the horizontal requirements a little.

MK II:

Dropped two key widths, added ( ) to the new heightened numpad, new tab key provides more reason for the lonely right-shift key, and have a few more spare keys on the main matrix.

Maybe it's because I'm not a programmer, and as such, don't use punctuation keys that much, but I'd absolutely loathe that layout. I wouldn't be able to stand having the enter key so far away from the actual letters. It's bad enough when my pinky has to stretch over the apostrophe and back slash on keyboards with the stupid vertical enter key, but that has so much more distance to cover. I get that it's just an idea, but that's my $2/100.

• Locked thread