Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Kotaru posted:

Dragged my new purchase (1987 MR2) down from my friends house which is a 2 hour drive on 4 rotten tires being towed by a E150 van. I thought I was going to die.

This poor, poor thing has been abused beyond words. Time to throw a bandaid on it and drive it into the ground. Not bad for 500 bucks.

My humble little garage, lets start dragging towards the day's objectives.

The original problem I discovered after purchase (I tried to drive it home and made it only 5 miles down the road before it started overheating.) It has a completely blown headgasket, only running on 2 cylinders and pissed all of its oil/coolant sludge all over itself. So to make things easier let just drop the whole drat drivetrain.

Ying and yang.

The 87's whole purpose is to haul my dumbass around while I drop the new engine for my white 89 in.

What are you putting in the white one, another 4AGE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

Nodoze posted:

What are you putting in the white one, another 4AGE?

1999 1MZFE :smugdog:

The white one right now has a 92 smallport 4AGE. If I keep the 87, I might just put the smallport in it and turn it into a track tub.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Ziploc posted:

Does the airbag on the new wheel work?
His SRS light isn't on, and they're basically the same airbag, so it should. That's one of those things you don't really want to find out, though.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kotaru posted:

You can get a V6 in the back of an AW11? Interesting, hmmm.....

What gearbox do you use for the swap?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

2ndclasscitizen posted:

You can fit a v8 too.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That's pretty awesome. I assume you can fit the -MZFEs into the back of the second gen cars as well? What about the Spyders?

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 9, 2012

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

2ndclasscitizen posted:

That's pretty awesome. I assume you can fit the -MZFEs into the back of the second gen cars as well? What about the Spyders?

You can with the MKII's, it's a tight fit, but it works fairly well, maintenance is a bitch though, good luck changing the spark plugs or doing a timing belt job!

As for the Spyders, nobody likes them. :colbert:

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

interwhat posted:

Would you happen to be affiliated with Modshack?

Modshack doesn't have the 370 any more. :)

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Kotaru posted:

The white one right now has a 92 smallport 4AGE. If I keep the 87, I might just put the smallport in it and turn it into a track tub.

Wouldn't a 3SGTE be better?

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

Nodoze posted:

Wouldn't a 3SGTE be better?
I have no interest in the 3sgte. The 1mzfe is lighter, smoother and drat near everyone does a 3sgte swap. 2300lb car with a big torquey v6 is lancia stratos level of awesome.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

You can either use the s54 out if a mk2 na or the turbo transmisson. The hard part is mounting it but companies like woodsport in the uk make bolt up solutions for half the mounts.

Ill start a thread once I start working on my 89

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Kotaru posted:

I have no interest in the 3sgte. The 1mzfe is lighter, smoother and drat near everyone does a 3sgte swap. 2300lb car with a big torquey v6 is lancia stratos level of awesome.

Hell yes. I've always loved the 1MZ in my girlfriend's 99 Camry. Smooth is definitely the word, and nice and torquey. Also, even with 120k on it, its the quietest freaking engine I've ever heard.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Kotaru posted:

I know at least the VVTi version of the 1MZFE makes mom's Avalon get up and dance a bit. And her pig of an Avalon XLS w/sunroof is approaching 3500 lbs - it has no problem running away from my KA24DE Altima.

One of the quietest and smoothest engines I've ever seen - even with 115k on it, the only noise you hear with it idling is the whine of the alternator, and that's only if you're standing outside of the car. It's a fantastic engine as long as you stay on top of oil changes and valve cover gaskets. No seriously change the valve cover gaskets before it goes in and watch out for sludge.... But in the Avalon and ES300, you literally cannot tell the engine is idling unless you look at the tach, it's that quiet. I've driven Cadillacs with worse manners.

Shedding 1200 lbs would probably result in bald tires in a hurry. Even in the 3500 lb Avalon it doesn't have any issue breaking the tires loose.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 9, 2012

Dr. Moose
Nov 22, 2008
I bought a vented 256mm rear brake setup for my Golf.

It probably won't fit and i'll have to pull some A-Team/McGuyver/Butcher job to make it work.

Oh well, it's only brakes. Not like it's something important like heated seats!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Kotaru posted:

You can either use the s54 out if a mk2 na or the turbo transmisson. The hard part is mounting it but companies like woodsport in the uk make bolt up solutions for half the mounts.

Ill start a thread once I start working on my 89

Fair enough, I was just curious. I didn't know that it fit

Also in looking this up I see they made a supercharger for it that you can put in the sienna :stare:

dor1
Jun 5, 2011
Well, it isn't my car, and it wasn't today but i rolled my dads pickup slightly on friday.

I was driving home at about noon, when i hit a patch of ice that i really did not expect, tail started going where ever it pleased, just barely missed a lightpole and then i lost the car completely coming to a stop somewhat neatly in the snowfilled ditch separating driving directions with the car on it's right side.

When the ambulance arrived they told me that they had just been to another accident about 3km away

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

dor1 posted:

Well, it isn't my car, and it wasn't today but i rolled my dads pickup slightly on friday.

Low speed roll overs are the best. You KNOW you're not going to die, but you have the time to realize your luck/driving sucks.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Nothing. I've done nothing to my ride today, because the transfer case fill plug won't budge and there's no clearance for any of my usual cheats between the case and the fuel skid. :argh:

Oh well. Waiting on FedEx gives me plenty of time to throw an entire can of penetrant at the problem. If that fails, there's always Harbor Freight.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

Nodoze posted:

Fair enough, I was just curious. I didn't know that it fit

Also in looking this up I see they made a supercharger for it that you can put in the sienna :stare:

Good luck finding one that isn't tired and under 2,000. :(

There is guy on the twobrutal forums that is building a kit that uses the Scion TC's supercharger and turns that whole ordeal into a plug and play. Woodsports is also stuffing a BMW v12 into a MK2. They have an MK1 with an audi v8 already.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
Spent some quality time with my RX8 sitting on the side of the interstate, sub freezing temps, for a hour and a half waiting on a tow truck at 6am.

drat thing just died going 70mph down the interstate. Pulled off the road and tried to restart it, was only greated with a few loud pops out the exhaust but no luck.

Could be a fuel issue but I am leaning to spark timming issue. Mazda dealer called and was asking for oil change recepts, told them to check the glove box. I assume they are already checking the compression and are going to be dicks about engine replacement.

Had the compression checked when I got the car with 70k miles on it and it was on the low side but passed, sitting now with 87k miles.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

evilnissan posted:

Spent some quality time with my RX8 sitting on the side of the interstate, sub freezing temps, for a hour and a half waiting on a tow truck at 6am.

drat thing just died going 70mph down the interstate. Pulled off the road and tried to restart it, was only greated with a few loud pops out the exhaust but no luck.

Could be a fuel issue but I am leaning to spark timming issue. Mazda dealer called and was asking for oil change recepts, told them to check the glove box. I assume they are already checking the compression and are going to be dicks about engine replacement.

Had the compression checked when I got the car with 70k miles on it and it was on the low side but passed, sitting now with 87k miles.

Low compression at 70k? Ouch, sounds like the previous owner didn't take care of it.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Check engine light came on last night. Noticed on the way to my mechanic that the speedo wasn't working. ODBII'ed it and turned out to be the speed sensor. $220 later everything is back to normal.

I also was under the lst notch on my oil dipstick. I was checking it wrong, I could have seized the engine. put 2 quarts in and I was back to normal. Still need to change the filter.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.

Brigdh posted:

Low compression at 70k? Ouch, sounds like the previous owner didn't take care of it.

Just spooke to the service tech and it fails compression test, all faces are in the low 5's.

Now I have got to present all my oil change records and get the warrenty process started for the 8 year/100,000 mile they gave the RX8's for compression failure.

Still not sure why it suddenly died going 70mph down the road.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Installed a new cat

Stupid thing is way too curious for its own good, fortunately the engine is crammed so tightly into the car there is no where for a cat to actually hide/get shredded

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Ozmiander posted:

Low speed roll overs are the best. You KNOW you're not going to die, but you have the time to realize your luck/driving sucks.

Yep, you have time to think "gently caress this is really happening, I'm this god damned stupid"

Plus you get time to sit upside down and ponder all the ways in which your life has gone wrong since the roof isn't caved in.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dissss posted:

Installed a new cat

Stupid thing is way too curious for its own good, fortunately the engine is crammed so tightly into the car there is no where for a cat to actually hide/get shredded

Is it high flow?

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Ozmiander posted:

I was doing 55-60mph, but the snow was cushy as all hell, effectively making the entire thing hurt less than falling asleep.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

dissss posted:

Installed a new cat

I'll bet that baby really purrs now.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
Mazda is going to replace the engine!

I am actually excited about driving the car with a fresh motor I may talk my self out of trading it in on a Mazda 2 or other fuel sipping hatch.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

evilnissan posted:

I am actually excited about driving the car with a fresh motor I may talk my self out of trading it in on a Mazda 2 or other fuel sipping hatch.
That is blasphemy! My 2 doesn't sip--it guzzles...(slowly).

Speaking of my Mazda 2, I actually managed to get a new corksport exhaust in before the weather took a turn for the worse. I bought the exhaust second-hand last summer and never had a chance to install it. Why is it that it rains every weekend after you get a new part?

It's incredibly pretty though, and doesn't look out of place since it only flares to 90mm. And every so often, I do enjoy the confusion on people's faces when I put my foot down and make some noise.

Next on my list is popping on the new torsion bar I got for Christmas. We'll see how the weather holds up for that one.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I got the engine for the poo poo spreader back from the machine shop :dance:

Here is what just shy of 4 grand will get you:

Can't take the plastic off yet because the shop is getting insulation this weekend and I don't want any of it in the engine.

I also got plates for the GTI yesterday, finally driving it again after 2 years of sitting around.

Washed the 97 Ram and its going away for the winter. Been lucky with the lack of snow so far.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Started doing a timing belt change on my MKV GTI. Got 5 of the crank shaft pulley bolts out, the head of the 6th stripped (of course). I ended up JB Welding a 6mm allen bit in. If it holds, it should come out. :sigh:

I also made a DSG fill adapter out of a drain plug, threaded fitting and JB.

I like JB. It's so useful. :gizz:

This post sponsored by J-B Weld™

HATE TROLL TIM fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 12, 2012

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

timb posted:

Started doing a timing belt change on my MKV GTI. Got 5 of the crank shaft pulley bolts out, the head of the 6th stripped (of course). I ended up JB Welding a 6mm allen bit in. If it holds, it should come out. :sigh:

JB Welded Bit: Failure.

Tack Welded Bit: Failure.

Impact Driver + Upsized Bit: Failure.

Finally I started to drill it out. About 3/4 of the way through I noticed the bolt turn slightly clockwise. Put the drill in reverse and the bolt backed right out. Success!

I swear, every other bolt on this car is either seized, has a stripped head or the threads strip when I put a bolt back in. Personally, I think the Germans are slowly getting back at us for WW2.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

timb posted:

Finally I started to drill it out. About 3/4 of the way through I noticed the bolt turn slightly clockwise. Put the drill in reverse and the bolt backed right out. Success!

Left-handed drill bits exist for exactly this reason. :science:

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Bucephalus posted:

Left-handed drill bits exist for exactly this reason. :science:

Yea, I didn't have my set of Easy Outs up here. :(

I should have just gone and bought one from the start. Oh well, live and learn!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

timb posted:

JB Welded Bit: Failure.

Tack Welded Bit: Failure.

Impact Driver + Upsized Bit: Failure.

I swear, every other bolt on this car is either seized, has a stripped head or the threads strip when I put a bolt back in. Personally, I think the Germans are slowly getting back at us for WW2.

Ive owned a few VWs and yes, yes they are.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

timb posted:

Yea, I didn't have my set of Easy Outs up here. :(

I should have just gone and bought one from the start. Oh well, live and learn!

Easy outs are the most improperly named inventions on the face of God's green earth. Those things have caused more problems than they've solved, I guarantee it.

My friend managed to shear off a flywheel bolt in the drive shaft last night.
He texted me that he was going to buy a set of ez outs to get it out. I texted him back but got no response. Scared for the future of that poor Bronco, I made a b-line for the truck and raced there. Yes, I forgot my shoes.

Luckily I barely managed to beat him home and stop him from using them. Then I got the sheared of bolt out using a hammer and various punches/chisels.

I didn't have a thread chaser so I used a tap + ball peen hammer instead instead.
I'm happy to say that a crisis was averted and all is well.

I also showed him how to use a torque wrench: "*Click* means stop turning."

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
What's wrong with Easy Outs? I've pulled out a shitload of bad screws and bolts with them.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I have not been so lucky. I've had an easy out work only once out of god knows how many times.

However, I have made some pretty awesome homemade easy outs from taking a dremel to chisels / punches and using a tap and die handle to rotate.
To be fair though most of the bolts I've tried to extract were "overtorqued with red locktite 40 years ago + rusted/fused in place" bolts.

The worst thing is when you snap an easy out off in the bolt. You better have a few free hours, a drill press, and some really good bits for drilling hardened steel.

On the other hand, I've never had a problem with a left handed drill bit, punches, impact hammer, etc... Easy outs just seem to be my kryptonite.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

On the other hand, I've never had a problem with a left handed drill bit, punches, impact hammer, etc... Easy outs just seem to be my kryptonite.

I found the magic of left handed drill bits a couple years ago. LOVE them for those times when you need to take exceptional measures.

I've snapped off more easy outs than I've used easy outs to successfully extract bolts. Invariably they break of in the worst places. In fact, I've caught myself reaching for them a couple times and thought "okay, what will I do if the easy out breaks off?" -- then going a different route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
My favorite tool for it is an Easy Out loaded into an old heavy manual impact driver.