Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerf Herder
Sep 2, 2006

Scruffy-Looking
Ended up getting a Minolta MD 50mm 1.7. and the adapter is shipping overnight. The guy at the camera shop was very excited and asked me to bring it by when the adapter comes in.

Really good shape and came with original caps and everything. Not bad for a ~35 year old lens.
This is for a NEX-5 btw.

Nerf Herder fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007
Goddamnit The Japanese certainly know how to get my money this year, now I have to choose between selling and upgrading my nikon D300 for whatever the hell the new nikon semi-pro will be called, the x100 or the x-pro1. I was hoping the x-pro1 would be terrible and relatively over expensive to make the choice easier but it would seem not.

anyway, here's the four different test shots from the GF3 http://www.flickr.com/photos/learnin_curve/6641765485/in/photostream/

Medusula fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 5, 2012

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Completely new to photography, but I have a trip to Europe coming up in May and felt it was time to get a proper camera. I didn't consider DSLRs much simply because, while they may have their advantages, I feel I wouldn't use them in as many circumstances due to their size. Point and shoot was also out for me since I'd like to learn photography, and while you can certainly get some great shots with one, it doesn't have much versatility.

I researched a bit on the mirrorless cameras and was nearly sold on the NEX-5n, but the sacrifice in lens size due to the larger sensor approached DSLR territory, so MFT made a lot more sense to me. I decided I'd buy my friend's GF1 with 20mm f/1.7 and also order the GH2 with telephoto for more features and its film capabilities, not to mention a lens I'd like to have for Monaco GP. One camera for me, one for my wife.

I bought the GF1 on Tuesday and have barely been able to put it down since. I love it. Thankfully my order for the GH2 still hadn't shipped (from 12/31 wtf) and I was able to cancel it this morning. Less is more, in this case, and I'd like to learn this setup with the pancake lens really well before moving on to zoom and a second camera. I have until May to play around. Focus on photography and not on gear.

Gotta say, that new Fuji is pretty sexy, though.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

poopinmymouth posted:

Supposed 1,300 USD price for the kit with the 50mm equiv 1.4 and 600 a pop for the other two lenses. That's quite reasonable imo.

That would be amazing if true. Though good luck finding one anytime soon if that price is right. :eng99:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

keyframe posted:

That would be amazing if true. Though good luck finding one anytime soon if that price is right. :eng99:

Those prices were in euros... so who knows.

Ghumbs posted:

I bought the GF1 on Tuesday and have barely been able to put it down since. I love it.

It hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet, but Panasonic just released the GX1 which is basically the new, suped up GF1.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Cacator posted:

Those prices were in euros... so who knows.

Often times the prices are the same in USD and euro, but with the USD getting weaker and weaker, it's not certain that it'll be the same this time (Still pretty likely though).

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Cacator posted:

It hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet, but Panasonic just released the GX1 which is basically the new, suped up GF1.
I played with the gx1 a bit and liked it, but I'm not good enough to appreciate the performance and and feature upgrades for the price. I wanted the 20mm lens anyways.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Just got the NEX 16mm f/2.8 lens from an eBay seller in Korea for around $150 with shipping. They sell lenses pulled from kits or something so they're brand new, just without the fancy packaging. The lens is so light it's ridiculous. It definitely takes the NEX from "Yeah, it's pretty small" to "Holy crap, I can't believe I'm holding an APS-C camera".

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

HPL posted:

Just got the NEX 16mm f/2.8 lens from an eBay seller in Korea for around $150 with shipping. They sell lenses pulled from kits or something so they're brand new, just without the fancy packaging. The lens is so light it's ridiculous. It definitely takes the NEX from "Yeah, it's pretty small" to "Holy crap, I can't believe I'm holding an APS-C camera".
Could you post a picture? I just want to see how far the lens sticks out.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Ghumbs posted:

There's a photo here:
http://www.ryanbrenizer.com/2011/11/review-sony-nex-5n/

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HPL posted:

I don't know why the E16 is more expensive in the US.

But in Asia is a lot cheaper. You can buy one new under 750rmb ($120). Thats why I haven't brought mine.

And I have brought the loving ECU1 already.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Ghumbs posted:

To follow up on the link that HPL posted - yes, a NEX with the 16mm pancake is easily pocketable. Every time I pack my bag with my NEX gear, I always wonder if I'm really going to use it, then realize it doesn't matter because it's really that tiny and lightweight. A NEX with the 16mm pancake will easily fit in a coat pocket, loose jeans pocket, or a small purse (if you're the sort who carries such things).

While we're on the subject of Sony lenses, I picked up the 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3 lens for my upcoming trip to Hawaii. While the aperture is nothing to write home about, it's tiny, images are sharp, and the in-lens stabilization works really well. Here is a very boring photo of a pigeon which I shot at full extension, handheld, with a shutter speed of 1/80th of a second.

DSC00020 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

If you look at the full-sized original, there's a fantastic level of detail captured in the feathers. I'm happy to have it in my bag.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Bob Socko posted:

While we're on the subject of Sony lenses, I picked up the 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3 lens for my upcoming trip to Hawaii. While the aperture is nothing to write home about, it's tiny, images are sharp, and the in-lens stabilization works really well. Here is a very boring photo of a pigeon which I shot at full extension, handheld, with a shutter speed of 1/80th of a second.

Glad to hear you like it! I'm going to pick one up when I go back to the States in March (save $100 :toot:), will be nice to have some reach.

Skam
Jan 6, 2008
Random question

I was planning on buying that lens soon for my Thailand holiday. But considering it is made there i imagine i will be able to get it a lot cheaper from a thai camera store

Does anyone have any idea how much it will roughly cost me if i buy it out there?

Skam fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jan 7, 2012

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Skam posted:

Random question

I was planning on buying that lens soon for my Thailand holiday. But considering the Thing is made there i imagine i will be able to get it a lot cheaper from a thai camera store

Does anyone have any idea how much it will roughly cost me if i buy it out there?

http://bigcamera.co.th/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=201

That's a big chain, you can probably shave 10% off by going to a small shop

I suspect that you will find the US cheaper.

Plus, you'll have a good warranty.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
More info on fuji x-pro 1:

quote:

Here are some additional specs for the Fuji X-Pro 1 camera:

The new sensor called X-Trans is a classic 16-megapixel. RGB filter is arranged in random blocks of 6x6 pixels which avoids the need for AA filter. This design requires a faster processor - the X-Pro 1 has a new EXR Processor Pro.

Lenses
XF 18mm f/2 R
XF 35mm f/1.4 R
XF 60mm f/2.4 R Macro
Later this year Fuji will introduce more lenses, including a telephoto and probably a 23mm f/ 2.0.
Fuji will also launch their own M bayonet adapter for Leica lenses! This is what I have been waiting for! It also explains this post from a while back.
Viewfinder
Similar hybrid viewfinder like in the x100. The X-Pro 1 will have two optical degrees of magnification: x0.37 for wider lenses and x0.60 for the other lenses. This function will be controlled by the menu and can be set manually for third party lenses.

Body
Magnesium alloy body, the upper and lower part will be made out of aluminum alloy. Several new film simulation and repeated exposure are added to the menu.

Accessories
Fuji will offer new accessories:

Grip: HG-XPro1
Case: LC-XPro1
New flash: EF-X20

Read more on PhotoRumors.com: http://photorumors.com/2012/01/07/detailed-fuji-x-pro-1-specs-you-must-read-this/#ixzz1ip5hngZ2

They are basicly making my dream camera. The only thing I am worried about is seeing if the auto/manual focus speed is fixed.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

keyframe posted:

They are basicly making my dream camera. The only thing I am worried about is seeing if the auto/manual focus speed is fixed.

I heard it has a separate phase detection AF thingy on the body so it should AF fairly quickly, though with the parallax error, long telephotos and ultra-wides might be a bit dicey.

From the sounds of it, if you can afford it and find one, it'll probably be a hell of a camera.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

keyframe posted:

More info on fuji x-pro 1:

That's great to hear. With the OVF, I was initially a little worried there might not be a provision for setting it up to work with third party lenses (which would be a pretty crappy oversight on Fuji's part, since mirrorless cameras a pretty popular as alt-glass platforms).

Yodobashi Camera in Fukuoka still has yet to get an NEX-7 in, which is kinda frustrating. Not planning to buy one here, but I want to at least try one out :argh:

ReptilePicasso
Jul 22, 2010
Quick question. I recently bought a Fuji X100 from Amazon and I was given the Asian charger cable. I asked Amazon about it and I was given the option to refund the camera as a whole and receive it back with the US charger, or be given $30 in Amazon money. Does Amazon sell the charger cable? I can't find it. I would greatly appreciate if anybody could gently lead me to one, thanks!

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

ReptilePicasso posted:

Quick question. I recently bought a Fuji X100 from Amazon and I was given the Asian charger cable. I asked Amazon about it and I was given the option to refund the camera as a whole and receive it back with the US charger, or be given $30 in Amazon money. Does Amazon sell the charger cable? I can't find it. I would greatly appreciate if anybody could gently lead me to one, thanks!

Are you talking about the wire that goes from the charging brick to the electrical outlet? If so, that's a standard plug. I forget what it's called but it's the same for most cameras, printers, toasters, etc... You can get it at Radio Shack or just use a spare one you might have laying around. People even use the plug from Macbooks to make it more portable

http://www.flickr.com/photos/crmarks/5690247165/

ReptilePicasso
Jul 22, 2010

RustedChrome posted:

Are you talking about the wire that goes from the charging brick to the electrical outlet? If so, that's a standard plug. I forget what it's called but it's the same for most cameras, printers, toasters, etc... You can get it at Radio Shack or just use a spare one you might have laying around. People even use the plug from Macbooks to make it more portable

That's exactly what I was talking about, I actually have the plug from my Macbook laying around so I guess I'll use that. Thanks!

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

HPL posted:

I heard it has a separate phase detection AF thingy on the body so it should AF fairly quickly, though with the parallax error, long telephotos and ultra-wides might be a bit dicey.

From the sounds of it, if you can afford it and find one, it'll probably be a hell of a camera.

Yea finding this in stock will be a bitch and a half. :smith:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

RustedChrome posted:

Electric shavers often use that kind of plug too.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Was it sold as gray market? Because if it didn't come with a us charger it probably didn't come with a us warranty.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Or eBay yourself another charger.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

New Fuji X-pro 1 photos, it's looking good! http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/two-new-full-size-x-pro-1-images/

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So the pancake lens is the 18mm. I think I will only buy that one and keep my 28mm and up lens in AIS mount. That way I can move on to Canon or Nikon full frame if I want.

Is the hotshoe same as the S5Pro hotshoe?

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 8, 2012

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

whatever7 posted:

So the pancake lens is the 18mm. I think I will only buy that one and keep my 28mm and up lens in AIS mount. That way I can move on to Canon or Nikon full frame if I want.

They might have another semi-pancake lens in the upcoming 23/2 lens that should come out later on. It's supposed to be adapted from the X100. No idea about the hotshoe type though.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(

whatever7 posted:

The hotshoe is not the same at the S5. It's the same as the x100 which is basically the same pin layout as canon, minus one data pin. E-TTL will not work on canon flashes though,

ReptilePicasso
Jul 22, 2010

Startyde posted:

Was it sold as gray market? Because if it didn't come with a us charger it probably didn't come with a us warranty.

It did not say anywhere in the description but I'll contact Amazon and see if it is and return it if it is, thanks!

ReptilePicasso
Jul 22, 2010

keyframe posted:

Sadly, Amazon apparently had the body only listed at $1699 and the lenses at around $500. If it were true, I would return my X100 and preorder it immediately.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

ReptilePicasso posted:

It did not say anywhere in the description but I'll contact Amazon and see if it is and return it if it is, thanks!

Amazon doesn't sell gray market items. If you bought it from a 3rd part vendor via Amazon, you should contact the vendor.

I once bought an Xbox 360 from a local retailer and it had the UK plug instead of the US one. They wouldn't replace just the plug so I had to swap the whole unit. The next box we checked had the UK plug too. Sometimes companies just include the wrong part.

ReptilePicasso
Jul 22, 2010

RustedChrome posted:

Amazon doesn't sell gray market items. If you bought it from a 3rd part vendor via Amazon, you should contact the vendor.

I once bought an Xbox 360 from a local retailer and it had the UK plug instead of the US one. They wouldn't replace just the plug so I had to swap the whole unit. The next box we checked had the UK plug too. Sometimes companies just include the wrong part.

It was a 3rd party vendor, but via Amazon prime, which caught my suspicion. Amazon has provided me with a return label so I'll return it when I go back home this weekend. Now I have another dilemma. Do I order the X100 again or another camera/wait for the X-pro? Anyone want to help me with this (I hope I'm not derailing the thread). I do like the 35mm eqiv. aspect, but I did prefer the 50mm eqiv aspect on my previous camera, but I don't want to downgrade in sensor quality nor do I want to spend too much more money.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
Those Fuji lenses are pretty sexy. Why can't Sony put out compact yet fast lenses like that?

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Costello Jello posted:

Those Fuji lenses are pretty sexy. Why can't Sony put out compact yet fast lenses like that?

Exactly! Fuji is saying straight up "We are targeting photographers, not kit-zoom wielding newbies."

Still looking forward to the detailed specs on the sensor that should be revealed on Monday.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

ReptilePicasso posted:

It was a 3rd party vendor, but via Amazon prime, which caught my suspicion. Amazon has provided me with a return label so I'll return it when I go back home this weekend. Now I have another dilemma. Do I order the X100 again or another camera/wait for the X-pro? Anyone want to help me with this (I hope I'm not derailing the thread). I do like the 35mm eqiv. aspect, but I did prefer the 50mm eqiv aspect on my previous camera, but I don't want to downgrade in sensor quality nor do I want to spend too much more money.

The x100 is a camera and the X-Pro is a system you buy into. If you're invested in Nikon or Canon already, the x100 is a great everyday shooter. If you're not and the flexibility appeals, the X-Pro will probably be a great choice.

Disclosure: I love my x100 and my Canon gear sits mostly unused as I've tapered off my planned photo excursions in favor of more spontaneous, everyday happenstances or gatherings of people which is where the x100 shines. I'm still considering the X-Pro. I miss scene compression from longer focal lengths sometimes. I don't miss carrying around lenses.

I'm looking forward to learning more about the X-Pro but in the interim I'll be using the x100.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Yea I am selling my canon 7d and lenses tomorrow because they are collecting dust. It just feels so heavy and cumbersome compared to the x100. This x-pro 1 looks like it is all I wanted x100 to be. Can't wait to find out more tomorrow.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

keyframe posted:

Yea I am selling my canon 7d and lenses tomorrow because they are collecting dust. It just feels so heavy and cumbersome compared to the x100. This x-pro 1 looks like it is all I wanted x100 to be. Can't wait to find out more tomorrow.

I plan to sell my 5D2 and all my Canon glass soon. I've had it for 3 years and it's been great but I only use it on the rare times I shoot in the studio. I have plenty of other gear to shoot with until I get another camera, most likely the X-Pro 1.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The new Canon G1X is out. Imagine a G12 with a sensor almost as large as an APS-C sensor. I think it's cool except for the lens. 28-112mm F2.8-5.8 isn't terribly impressive. I think they should have either gone for a fast pancake prime like the X100 or an f/2-2.8 type of zoom like the X10.

As it is, given the (probably) better high ISO performance of the G1X compared to the X10, it'll probably put a big dent in X10 sales if not push it out of the market. If Canon wanted to get really sassy, they could come out with an interchangeable G1X system later with pancake primes. If they hadn't already come out with the Canon 7D, I'd say revive the old Canon 7-series with this new system.

HPL fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ttam
Sep 25, 2004

Anyone have a recommendation for a Canon EF to Sony E-mount lens adapter? I have a NEX-5N and a pile of Canon lenses I would like to use but the only reviews I find for adapters are uniformly terrible.

Are they all basically the same and the reviews are written by morons or is there an accepted best manufacturer?