Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Lizard Combatant posted:

Whah?! Link?

http://www.brickventures.org.au

It's in Melbourne, hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ira Glass Jaw
Oct 21, 2010

So I may or may not be unreasonably excited to fuel my minifigure addiction tomorrow. This christmas my girlfriend surprised me by getting me all of series 1 and series 3 which completed my collection. Tomorrow we're heading to the lego store because her stepmom gave her a free pick a brick box that she had gotten before christmas.

I'm not the only one eagerly awaiting tomorrows release of series 6 right?

Right? :ohdear:

Rustie
Aug 25, 2003

Skulduggery posted:

So I may or may not be unreasonably excited to fuel my minifigure addiction tomorrow. This christmas my girlfriend surprised me by getting me all of series 1 and series 3 which completed my collection. Tomorrow we're heading to the lego store because her stepmom gave her a free pick a brick box that she had gotten before christmas.

I'm not the only one eagerly awaiting tomorrows release of series 6 right?

Right? :ohdear:

You may want to call ahead to see if they actually have them. I don't remember any other series having a "release date" like they advertised for this one in Lego catalogs, so maybe it will be different, but my Lego store is always way late in actually getting the latest series in. They're usually at Toys R Us for weeks before I see them there.

But yes, I'm extremely excited and checked 4 stores this weekend in case they came in early...

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
My kid's been playing with the Lego's I've passed on to him from my childhood, (meaning I'm playing with them too, of course. :3:)

We've gotten him a few Star Wars sets which are always put together following the instructions, then after pieces start falling off from him playing with them, he ends up coming up with some pretty creative MOCs.

Since his lego collection is somewhat small, we started taking pictures of all of them so he can keep on reusing the parts instead of keeping them all on the shelf (with the exception of the Plo Koon Starfighter that's managed to stay in one piece since xmas).

Here's a Wall-E he came up with, which I thought was neat because it's the first one I've seen that included the cooler. Also, his attention to detail is pretty good: the gray block on the front left corner is because "Wall-E has rust".

Here's a creative use of SNOT - a super minimal Wall-E / EVE set he made. Wall-E is held up by a 1x1 on the back bottom corner, his "kick stand".

I've never seen mini fig hands used like this, again, very creative. Apparently, they were modeled after the Sack-bots from Little Big Planet.

Here's a neat little walker. It doesn't seem like anything super special, but if you look at the legs and feet you'll see that they are connected by a body from a Clone Wars droid body, and the leg is actually a droid arm. The feet are the same type of piece that he used on the robots heads in the above pic. (hard to see in the pic). Also, that old radar thing isn't backwards, it's actually "the robots eye".

Anyways, I'm probably more impressed than I should be simply because I'm his dad, but hell that's what parents do, amirite?

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Anyways, I'm probably more impressed than I should be simply because I'm his dad, but hell that's what parents do, amirite?

I'm always impressed whenever people use things like minifig parts because its something I NEVER would think of.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I'm having problems finding the male half of this part in LDD4 (with extended mode on): http://imgur.com/7AZxL

Does anyone know what they call the other part or what category it's in?

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"

MaliciousOnion posted:

On an unrelated topic, any Ausgoons going to Brickvention?

Planning on going just as a public viewer with my partner. Assuming we can get tickets this week.

E:

Also postie just delivered The Kingdoms Castle set. gently caress Lion King looks loving awesome.

Ingram fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 9, 2012

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Ignimbrite posted:

I'm having problems finding the male half of this part in LDD4 (with extended mode on): http://imgur.com/7AZxL

Does anyone know what they call the other part or what category it's in?

It's under the Technic Pin category. "Joint link w. bush"

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Pyroclastic posted:

It's under the Technic Pin category. "Joint link w. bush"

Thanks. I don't know how I missed that. Cool username, btw.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Honeydew posted:

Those employees also have a Lego hobby and were keen to talk about it with you.
That'sssss a very nice post you have there.

Pain Wizard
Mar 26, 2010
That creeper is wonderful, but I have a LEGOQUESTION:
Why is it that when people make MOC's of space ships and what-not it's all smoooth plating and looks great, but when THE LEGO GROUP puts out a set it's all studs exposed all over the place. Why don't the official sets work towards the sleek exterior that MOC's do? I mean, I see lots of wonderful spaceships posted with their shiny smooth hulls and I love it but the official sets are always stubby and let me down :(

Dr. Dirt
Jan 1, 2008

This one goes out to all the Legomaniacs!

MaliciousOnion posted:

http://www.brickventures.org.au

It's in Melbourne, hth

I'll be there.

It should be noted that if you are interested in attending, tickets are only available on the website. It's hoped that this will help with crowd control, since this has become a bit of an issue over the past couple of years. There are also two public days this year (Saturday 21st and Sunday 22nd Jan).

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Daisyvondoom posted:

Why is it that when people make MOC's of space ships and what-not it's all smoooth plating and looks great, but when THE LEGO GROUP puts out a set it's all studs exposed all over the place.

Not true. Space Police 3 was pretty drat sleek, given the parts limitation and price points they have to work within.

MOC designers don't have to build to a $9.99, $19.99, $29.99, $49.99, and $99.99 budget.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Daisyvondoom posted:

Why is it that when people make MOC's of space ships and what-not it's all smoooth plating and looks great, but when THE LEGO GROUP puts out a set it's all studs exposed all over the place. Why don't the official sets work towards the sleek exterior that MOC's do? I mean, I see lots of wonderful spaceships posted with their shiny smooth hulls and I love it but the official sets are always stubby and let me down :(

Smooth-surfaced SNOT techniques can be tricky to assemble, parts-intensive, and fragile, things TLG doesn't want in sets designed for 7-12 year olds. Play features factor more into their designs than SNOT.

(^^^^ Also cost)

They have, though, been incorporating a lot more advanced techniques into sets over the past few years. Check out the new Ninjago ninja vehicles...they've got play features significantly more advanced in design than anything else I can think of. The Modular buildings have had SNOT techniques like the year in the Fire Brigade or the Pet Store name--both so fiddly that you'll never see them in sets made for kids.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I really liked that M-tron forklift-mecha-transformer even though it looks incredibly impractical, so I decided to recreate it using parts I had on hand:

I could only find a couple of the old joints so I substituted clip-joints and used the modern robot-arm pieces instead of those long bar pieces.

It's a neat build, if a bit flimsy. It might work better with the original parts, I think those had a little more traction than the clips. As is, it'll stay posed unless it gets bumped, and it's not very good at balancing in mecha-mode. But who cares? It's a forklift that transforms into a friggin' robot.

Zonko_T.M. fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 9, 2012

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So, I cracked and bought the Fire Brigade set. Jeeeeeesus. 5 and a bit hours and I've finished Book 1. My back hates me (I was sitting on my living room floor cross-legged doing it). Lots of boring repetitive bits (Oh, another 10 1x1 sand flats? imagine..), but it looks so good now I'm actually there.

Annoyingly my instructions book had misprints where a bunch of the quantity numbers for each step are missing, so I had to keep checking a PDF of the same instructions that did have them in. So there'd be a picture of the brick but 'x4' next to it. Bad show, Lego. <:(>

But soon, the top half!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Found some half-off Lego at walmart yesterday and bought the Rise of the Sphinx for $25. It's an awesome set, especially at that price, but good lord is it a monotonous build. There's four legs, they're fairly complex, and they're pretty much identical, except two of them are mirror of the other two. Made up about half of the build time just basically doing the same thing four times.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Daisyvondoom posted:

I dunno, I kind of like the texture of exposed studs. Seems more LEGO-y to me. I mean, I appreciate well done finishing, but I don't really care as long as the lines are good and the colors are reasonable.

OpinionCushion
May 6, 2002
It doesn't look like an ice sculpture.... OR DOES IT??

rickiep00h posted:

I dunno, I kind of like the texture of exposed studs. Seems more LEGO-y to me. I mean, I appreciate well done finishing, but I don't really care as long as the lines are good and the colors are reasonable.
I also like the texture, and I think it's pretty important as a play feature (having minifigs run around on ships) and allows for some spontaneous customization. I mean, most of the stuff made for Neoclassic Space is obviously well-done, but it just isn't as asthetically appealing to me as the originals are. Probably just a side-effect of having those sets as toys, playing with them frequently, and lusting after the sets in the catalogs that I didn't have. Where official sets have really improved recently (to me) is in terms of contouring, though at the price of generally higher piece counts.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

My kid's been playing with the Lego's I've passed on to him from my childhood, (meaning I'm playing with them too, of course. :3:)

We've gotten him a few Star Wars sets which are always put together following the instructions, then after pieces start falling off from him playing with them, he ends up coming up with some pretty creative MOCs.

Since his lego collection is somewhat small, we started taking pictures of all of them so he can keep on reusing the parts instead of keeping them all on the shelf (with the exception of the Plo Koon Starfighter that's managed to stay in one piece since xmas).

Here's a Wall-E he came up with, which I thought was neat because it's the first one I've seen that included the cooler. Also, his attention to detail is pretty good: the gray block on the front left corner is because "Wall-E has rust".

Here's a creative use of SNOT - a super minimal Wall-E / EVE set he made. Wall-E is held up by a 1x1 on the back bottom corner, his "kick stand".

I've never seen mini fig hands used like this, again, very creative. Apparently, they were modeled after the Sack-bots from Little Big Planet.

Here's a neat little walker. It doesn't seem like anything super special, but if you look at the legs and feet you'll see that they are connected by a body from a Clone Wars droid body, and the leg is actually a droid arm. The feet are the same type of piece that he used on the robots heads in the above pic. (hard to see in the pic). Also, that old radar thing isn't backwards, it's actually "the robots eye".

That wall-e is really :3:.

I'm working on indoctrinating my niece and nephew into Lego right now and it's coming along nicely. I got her one of the kingdoms sets because she likes midieval sets and she's enjoying having the blacksmith be bros with the king.

Lord Ryan
Nov 10, 2011

Lord Ryan
Nov 10, 2011

Lord Ryan
Nov 10, 2011

Lord Ryan
Nov 10, 2011

Lord Ryan
Nov 10, 2011

Lord Ryan
Nov 10, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

So much hand-holding, hugging and glancing on the LEGO Friends splash page:
http://friends.lego.com/en-us/default.aspx?icmp=COHomeMainStageUSFriends

I bought the mini-modular set this weekend. That was seriously one of the most fun builds I've done in quite a while. So much variation and smart building techniques, and they look that much more incredible sitting next to their big brothers. I brought them into my office this morning and every single person that has come back here has commented on them with awe and affection. I love micro-scale building. Buy these.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I am looking to make a trade. At Wal-Mart right now, many sets are being significantly discounted, with 33% off being the norm but some being 50-75% off, such as the Tripod Walker being marked down from what, 25? to 9, lots of POTC stuff going down by 10-15 dollars(all the ships are about 20-25 off), Cars 2 getting big discounts, etc.

One thing that has got my attention is in the electronics aisle. They have Nintendo DS game cases, a three-pack of red, green, and blue Lego DS game holders that happen to have a 4x4 plate both on the underside and on the top, but they also have Star Wars, POTC, Harry Potter, and I think maybe Indiana Jones too. And they're marked down from 15 dollars to 5-7$. I grabbed a few of the normal RGB ones and a POTC one, but if you check your wal-mart for them and are interested in making a trade(at least for the DS cases themselves, maybe the DS styluses too but the minifigs aren't really important to me).

I have scads of Bionicle parts that I acquired during the days when they had huge bins of free-play Bionicle stuff at the Lego Store and then sold them off in big pretzel containers after(the original series through Metru Nui, none of the new poo poo) that I'd be willing to trade bagfuls of in exchange for cases, minifigs from basically any era and series up until the early 2000's, lots of train tracks and such, etc. I also have a big box of old NES, PS1, SNES, N64, etc games I can trade for them, Transformers, lots of poo poo.

edit: a bunch of links to them, these are the ones I'm talking about. No Indiana Jones game cases, just DS cases, but I'd go for those too if you've got'em for trade(as long as they have the tiles too).

DS cases and some DS case/game case rose snake combos:
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?G=DScaseIJ1
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?G=DScaseIJ2
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?G=DScaseSW1
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?G=DScase
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?G=DSCaseClblue
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?G=DSCaseClred
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?G=DScaseHP1
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?G=DScasePotC
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?G=DScaseSW2

game cases:
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?G=880015
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?G=880020
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?G=880031
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?G=880032

and a wiimote case if you find one cheap:
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?G=258175

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 9, 2012

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Lord Ryan posted:

I am really tempted by that set, despite the fact i really dislike the film. Its just a cool looking ship. Might ask for that for my birthday, it would be that or the falcon.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Roblo posted:

I am really tempted by that set, despite the fact i really dislike the film. Its just a cool looking ship. Might ask for that for my birthday, it would be that or the falcon.

I almost got this but some of the reviews put me off.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
My "Dark Ages," started after the first wave of Star Wars stuff hit. I was entering High School and my sprawling Lego city of mismatched baseplates was suddenly no longer cool. The only really big sets I had was the Aquanauts' base and a train station[/url) (sans train). My Legos were packed away and put into the basement, and I suddenly had more room.

I was Lego-free until an earlier iteration of this thread, marvelling at the inventive MOCs, but I still resisted getting back into the hobby. Then some bastard posted that Target had [url=http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/8143-1]this
on sale for $20, and the thread went bananas over it. $20 later, and I was back in. My return to LEGO has been slow, following the threads and buying small kits along the way, but not anything too large. The final straw was going to the Lego store in Rockerfeller Plaza while on vacation this summer, and subsequently finding there's a location 45 minutes away from where I live.

Two modular buildings, a VW Camper, and too many minifigs later and I think I'm back in for good. Thus, I go searching for my old bricks in the basement.

First, a bucket full of minifigs including that forest wench.

Then a blue LEGO suitcase that I can't find on Peeron. Inside, I found a tile belonging to my first set.The cardboard and tape is on there because the lid made a bitchin' shield when I was 5 :c00lbert:

Oh, hello Y-Wing...and that Spyrius ship everyone was talking about a few pages ago.

The big box with everything else in it. Lots of Throwbots and baseplates and...wait, what's that in the corner?

I don't remember buying this at all. It even has the paperwork in it. I must have bought it just before my dark ages.

Man, I really want to bring all this stuff up and dig through my childhood, but I just don't have the room at the moment and I know it's going to turn into a full-blown plastic addicition :ohdear:

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Jut posted:

I almost got this but some of the reviews put me off.

:( what have you read? Also which do you mean, the frigate or the falcon?

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Roblo posted:

Yeah, I spent some time choosing between those too. Ended up going for the Falcon on sale for 115. Never looked back. People love it, even who arn't into lego because it is just so much more recognizable

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I just want to double check since the mini modular set looks REALLY cool. I have to set up my account on LEGO.com, buy something and sign up for VIP at the same time. Then my NEXT order I'll be able to buy VIP exclusive stuff?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Uh-oh.

Currently taking photos of this thing with a better camera than my lovely iphone.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Moai Ou posted:

The cardboard and tape is on there because the lid made a bitchin' shield when I was 5 :c00lbert:

I knew exactly what the tape was for as soon as I saw it

Hey how come we don't have any Lego emoticons yet? Is that the one thing beyond the line of shame?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Finished the modular Fire Brigade set. :toot: So glad that's done with. The top is a lot more fun than the bottom half. But so worth it, and I'm glad I spent the money. There's a definite Ghostbusters vibe to the whole building. The brickwork on the outside, the upper level looks like it's from the movie, the fridge (ZUUUUUUUUL).. It's such a fun set, next on the list is the Pet Shop for sure.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

So I had my Aunt send me a old box of Lego's that I had given to my cousins about ten years ago so I could try and build a working Lego Lamp for my nursery.

I found these pieces inside the box that I do not recognize at all, I know they are not from any of my old sets.

Here is a close up view of a single piece.

Anybody have a idea of what set these things came from or any fun use I can get out of them? They are all official Lego parts too with the Lego name on the studs.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

They're from the sports sets. Either soccer or basketball. A player on a stand would sit in the middle and you'd flick him to move the ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

It's from Lego's soccer sets. There was a little springy piece that went into that hole in the middle and you put a guy on top and he could kick the ball. It was more fun in theory.