Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Sunday morning Judo. ugh. I joined a gym actually and I thought Judo playing with severe chest DOMS would be horrible, but I didn't even feel it and completely forgot I even had it when training started. Funny how that works.
Giving up on BJJ due to price. 12 bucks a session is just too much at the moment. But drat it was fun learning so much and having people at my experience level. My gym (weights gym) is 24/7 and $13 a week for comparison. Coach says I can grade for my orange next month and I wanted to say I thought I wasn't good enough but I heard its rude to argue bout that sort of stuff as its the same as saying he's wrong.

swmmrmanshen posted:

Hey judo bros, I made a little video to help out some of the new folks in my university club. Thoughts/criticism?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL4w6JPig58&feature=youtu.be
Likin' it. Do more. We don't talk enough about basics like this at my club.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Hey judo bros, I made a little video to help out some of the new folks in my university club. Thoughts/criticism?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

swmmrmanshen posted:

That's pretty good I think, but I was wondering. At my club they really try to make us not do that first "kick back" before starting the move and it's seen as a bad habit to have. Because you might just do that (not as much obviously) during a randori/shiai and telegraph your attack, what's your opinion on that?

Other than that it seems like a good lesson and it's very clear what you want them to do and why.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

KingColliwog posted:

That's pretty good I think, but I was wondering. At my club they really try to make us not do that first "kick back" before starting the move and it's seen as a bad habit to have. Because you might just do that (not as much obviously) during a randori/shiai and telegraph your attack, what's your opinion on that?

Other than that it seems like a good lesson and it's very clear what you want them to do and why.

The windup step is bad. I was being lazy.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

swmmrmanshen posted:

I have not done Judo in depth nor have I done in for a particularly long time.

I had to rewatch the video a couple of times to pick up everything. I think you need to speak a little slower and may need to improve the audio coverage of your video. (Maybe speak louder or get a mic.)

Maybe plan out ahead of time what exactly you want to say.

Other than that the material seems good.

Nierbo posted:

Coach says I can grade for my orange next month and I wanted to say I thought I wasn't good enough but I heard its rude to argue bout that sort of stuff as its the same as saying he's wrong.
In my experience, the rule of thumb for most martial "tests" is if they were not comfortable about you testing for it, they would not even bring it up in the first place.

However if you feel you're not ready to test, it is perfectly fine to inform them about your concerns and even refuse. (Unless there is some circumstance where it is a special occasion.)

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 8, 2012

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Yeah that's true enough. I might just go with the flow. But I haven't been taught Uchi Mata or Harai Goshi yet. At all.

I might learn on the day :laffo:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

Yeah that's true enough. I might just go with the flow. But I haven't been taught Uchi Mata or Harai Goshi yet. At all.

I might learn on the day :laffo:

You seem to have a really inflated view of what it takes to earn a belt. I assume Orange Belt corresponds to either Rokyu or Gokyu. In the US it would mean Gokyu but I know that varies a little bit from country to country. Rokyu basically means you know how to fall in randori without hurting yourself, and Gokyu basically means you can probably throw other people in Randori without hurting them, and maybe have a basic grasp of a few moves. All of the vegatable belts are varying degrees of "I'm less of a danger to others than I was a few months ago". Brown is where you're expected to start developing a game and be able to pick up new techniques easily, and Shodan is the point where you are really ready to start learning the nuances of Judo.

If your instructor thinks you're ready to test, you're ready to test. He or she knows a lot more about these things than you do.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Oh really? I thought there were 8 throws to get each belt. I had to perform 8 in front of the sensei to get my yellow and I figured I'd need to perform the next 8 just as before.
http://westernwarriorsjudo.com/index.php/Orange-Belt-Throws.html

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

What do you guys think of silat? Was watching Human Weapon (sadly cancelled), and it seemed pretty cool as well as effective.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Nierbo posted:

Oh really? I thought there were 8 throws to get each belt. I had to perform 8 in front of the sensei to get my yellow and I figured I'd need to perform the next 8 just as before.
http://westernwarriorsjudo.com/index.php/Orange-Belt-Throws.html

That really depends on your specific club. Here the coach will ask for techniques during the belt test and we even have some sort of poster with specific techniques for every belt on a wall. But in practice the coach will not ask for all technique specified on the poster and might ask for techniques from higher belts. My coach knows what I know/what he showed me and will ask stuff from that. From the green belt and higher we must do all technique in movement during the exam too.

Ask your coach what he will ask of you on the exam and drill this for the next class or two and you'll be fine. Also, your coach knows better. If he tells you that you can/should get the next belt then it means that you are ready for it. In my opinion, the only reason to think you're not ready is if you're competing and don't feel like you're ready to get to the next division.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 8, 2012

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Just take the belt, like above, it's basically a badge for "I'm not a retard". If/when you get to black or brown you'll look back and laugh that you were worried.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mr Interweb posted:

What do you guys think of silat? Was watching Human Weapon (sadly cancelled), and it seemed pretty cool as well as effective.

It's hard to measure effectiveness because there's not enough data for seeing it used.

Fight Quest was much better.

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage

Khioniia posted:

What martial art(s), and what area? There's a lot of really good gyms around, just depends what you're looking for.

And mindtwist, it's great to watch how quickly people who put the work in progress. We've a couple of kids at our gym like that - they just live and breathe jits, and the rate they're progressing is astonishing. While I'm more a casual grappler myself, it's great to watch other people reap the benefits of their hard work.

Ideally looking for places close to the Cheltenham area if you knew of any gyms. Not afriad to travel but closer is always better.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen a silat fighter compete in anything, really. A quick google search just showed a bunch of stupid e-warrior arguments. Looks like nobody's ever manage to catch footage of it being used for self-defence, either. The wikipedia article says it is about harnessing some kind of magical energy to make your strikes more powerful.

I would be skeptical.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 9, 2012

Khioniia
Aug 4, 2003

SolidRed posted:

Ideally looking for places close to the Cheltenham area if you knew of any gyms. Not afriad to travel but closer is always better.
Ok. This is the best I can do, I guess I don't know that area down there brilliantly - there are heaps of other good clubs, sorry if I've missed any.

I train at Extreme in Chadstone (http://extremejjg.com/), which I'd obviously recommend (biased). BJJ, kickboxing, and the real highlight: an excellent wrestling coach. It's a good gym - while the new ownership seems to be trying their hardest to give it a McDojo veneer (do me a favour and don't check out their multitude of websites, it's embarrassing), it's still actually legitimate. BJJ coach is Marcelino Freitas.

Malvern Martial Arts (http://www.malvernhealthandfitness.com.au/timetable.html) - affiliated with Checkmat. Haven't trained there so can't say too much, but have always heard good things about them.

You probably wouldn't want to make the trek into the city, but I still have to recommend Absolute MMA (http://www.absolutemma.net.au/). I personally think their BJJ coach (Thiago Stefanutti) is one of the best coaches you will find in any sport.

Dominance (http://www.dominance.com.au/) in Richmond are also a great club.

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008

Khioniia posted:

Ok. This is the best I can do, I guess I don't know that area down there brilliantly - there are heaps of other good clubs, sorry if I've missed any.

I train at Extreme in Chadstone (http://extremejjg.com/), which I'd obviously recommend (biased). BJJ, kickboxing, and the real highlight: an excellent wrestling coach. It's a good gym - while the new ownership seems to be trying their hardest to give it a McDojo veneer (do me a favour and don't check out their multitude of websites, it's embarrassing), it's still actually legitimate. BJJ coach is Marcelino Freitas.

Malvern Martial Arts (http://www.malvernhealthandfitness.com.au/timetable.html) - affiliated with Checkmat. Haven't trained there so can't say too much, but have always heard good things about them.

You probably wouldn't want to make the trek into the city, but I still have to recommend Absolute MMA (http://www.absolutemma.net.au/). I personally think their BJJ coach (Thiago Stefanutti) is one of the best coaches you will find in any sport.

Dominance (http://www.dominance.com.au/) in Richmond are also a great club.

I used to train at Extreme MMA during the beginning of 2011 and I do miss it. Amin is an awesome human being but I've had quite a few bad experiences at Extreme. I got kneebared during wrestling by one of the BJJ guys who tore my MCL (I have never trained BBJ in my life. This was maybe 3 months into my wrestling training and my total training).

Then when I was out to repair my MCL I submitted a form to put my contact on hold for a few weeks (you're allowed to do this only once).

This was a huge hassle as I don't live near the school and couldn't drive with my knee and they wouldn't accept the one page form over email. Luckily my cousin who also used to train there was able to hand in for me which they were happy with.

Then after another fortnight of my account being charged I called them up to find out that they claimed they had never received the form and I just gave up. I did email them the form one last time and they said they would fix it for me but they never did and really I should have learnt my lesson right then.

I continued my recovery and paying for the gym while I was out but I wasn't particularly bothered. I was loving martial arts at the time and the actual gym was great both the people and the coaching staff. Finally I was cleared to go back to the gym and start training again.

At this time a few of the more advanced students were looking to do a few MMA matches so they started training No Gi 3 or 4 times per week. This would be absolutely fine if not for my second issue with the gym - They simply do not clean the mats enough or properly. If the mats were cleaned between classes at all it was left to the students to clean during what would be class time with a bucket of dirty water. This led to an ourbreak of ringworm and staph between many of the students including myself. When I spoke to the gym about what we could do to clean the gym and try to fix this issue they instead took it as an insult and simply started enforced wearing thongs off the mat.

Really that was the end for me, at this time I had a torn MCL and ringworm and honestly didn't like the direction the gym was heading. I attempted to cancel my contact and got the same run around as before. First they told me in person it was done, then later when I was still being charged they told me "oh sorry the admin handling your case was recently fired and your form was loss. Drive down to the gym and fill out another one" then it was "You never submitted a form and I've never spoken to you" and then when I pointed out the email chain I got "I have never met you before".
The most irriting thing is I would send the cancel contact form with EVERY email and they would pretend it didn't exist and just made up excuses while still charging me. Finally I got my bank to block the account and thought the nightmare was over until about 6 months later I noticed they were still charging me under a new name and when I blocked that they sent debt collectors after me.

Great gym, great coaches and great people. Horrible management that will try to take you for every cent.

SolidRed fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 9, 2012

Khioniia
Aug 4, 2003

Thanks for sharing that story mate. I'm really sorry you had such a lovely experience there. I'm disgusted the way they treated you, and it suggests that things are worse than I was aware. I knew it was getting bad, but not full on rip-off merchant bad.

It's such a shame they're taking the club in this direction, because it used to be awesome, and we had the most amazing admin person who really took care of the students, instead of trying to fleece them. Used to have a good reputation, and now they're doing their best to ruin that. :(

I hope you find somewhere that treats you a bit better. Amin used to take a Saturday wrestling class at Absolute, you could call them and see if he still does. And again, I'm really sorry they treated you so badly - that makes me pretty angry. :(

Also, do you remember who the guy was who knee-barred you? (PM me if you want).

Edit: Actually, I guess I suspected how bad it was getting but really really wanted to be wrong. gently caress. :(

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Does anyone else feel really uncomfortable about gyms that lock you into long term contracts?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Assuming an orthodox stand, what do you usually do with your right arm in a muay thai roundhouse kick? I'm a little confused cause I'm new to this and am getting different instructions. The classes I was taking at one place taught me to stick the arm out and swing it to the left along with the kick, and told explicitly not to bring the arm back. Moved back home and at the new place I'm going to went out of their way to tell me to bring the arm back (like this http://www.monkeysee.com/play/1259-muay-thai-kickboxing-how-to-throw-a-round-kick). Is it just a personal preference thing? I feel like I can get more force and balance bringing it back, but I can also see how the original way I was taught probably offers better defense.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

IIRC it's one of those generic terms like "Kung Fu" or "Jujitsu" that don't actually refer to a single martial art but could refer to any of hundreds of individual arts. I'm not aware of any real standards for it.

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008

Khioniia posted:

Thanks for sharing that story mate. I'm really sorry you had such a lovely experience there. I'm disgusted the way they treated you, and it suggests that things are worse than I was aware. I knew it was getting bad, but not full on rip-off merchant bad.

It's such a shame they're taking the club in this direction, because it used to be awesome, and we had the most amazing admin person who really took care of the students, instead of trying to fleece them. Used to have a good reputation, and now they're doing their best to ruin that. :(

I hope you find somewhere that treats you a bit better. Amin used to take a Saturday wrestling class at Absolute, you could call them and see if he still does. And again, I'm really sorry they treated you so badly - that makes me pretty angry. :(

Also, do you remember who the guy was who knee-barred you? (PM me if you want).

Edit: Actually, I guess I suspected how bad it was getting but really really wanted to be wrong. gently caress. :(

It is a shame because the actual gym is amazing and Amin is the best. I'm not going to say who knee barred me, only that he is a regular BJJ student and this was when they were all undergoing Pan Pac fever which might be why he thought it would be cool to cripple me in a wrestling class.

I'll get him to go along with me to try out the school in Malvern thanks.

SolidRed fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 9, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

attackmole posted:

Assuming an orthodox stand, what do you usually do with your right arm in a muay thai roundhouse kick? I'm a little confused cause I'm new to this and am getting different instructions. The classes I was taking at one place taught me to stick the arm out and swing it to the left along with the kick, and told explicitly not to bring the arm back. Moved back home and at the new place I'm going to went out of their way to tell me to bring the arm back (like this http://www.monkeysee.com/play/1259-muay-thai-kickboxing-how-to-throw-a-round-kick). Is it just a personal preference thing? I feel like I can get more force and balance bringing it back, but I can also see how the original way I was taught probably offers better defense.

You should sequence the descriptions of both versions better. Swinging the right arm to the left while your right leg is also swinging to the left would be weird and counterproductive. If the hand leads the kick and stays out in front of your opponent's face while you kick, yes, that's classic Muay Thai, aka I have ribs of steel style. It is good for:
- fencing off wild punches, which is what traditional Thai boxers would have
- transitioning to a clinch or elbow range when you throw the kick/knee from close up
But is poor if they go to the body or do other stuff to get around your kick. Of course, even in this way of doing it, you eventually have to bring your arm back up to guard, so I'm not sure what you mean by "explicitly not to bring the arm back."

I think for the most part, it is personal preference. Though if you get good I'm sure you can find different applications for different variants.

If you throw the right arm back to couterbalance the kick, be sure to keep your other hand up or even across in front of your head to provide defense.
Ernesto Hoost explaining some stuff with round kicks, with poor audio:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M20Z0ME9RlA#t=3m

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Cool, thanks a ton dude. Yeah, you figured out what I was saying. The first place I was at was a more traditional Thai-style place while the one I'm at right now is more modern styled, so that explains some stuff..

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008

swmmrmanshen posted:

Does anyone else feel really uncomfortable about gyms that lock you into long term contracts?

Well after losing almost a grand to Extreme yeah they make me feel pretty uncomfortable. I just straight up pay for the whole year by card at any gym I go to now.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

attackmole posted:

i have no idea what you're trying to say and that video is bad, do yourself a favor and just copy ernesto

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
My previous gym I paid in cash for every 3 months. They never liked that. The current gym only operates on a month by month basis. Which seems quite nice.
Gyms that lock you into rolling 3 month contracts that are impossible to escape are all too real and so so frustrating.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

swmmrmanshen posted:

Yeah, hate it. Around here, the McDojo poo poo hasn't taken over martial arts clubs (yet... hope it stays that way) and you don't have to ever pay a high membership fee and (after taking whatever basic course they offer and you want to go to, usually 128€ for 2-2.5 months) you can choose to either pay for a 10 time card, 2.5 months, half a year or a year at one go. Some offer 6 or 12 month monthly payment, but don't force it at all.

I eventually chose to pay a 12 month monthly fee at the club I go to, after it was quite loving sure I'm not leaving anytime soon. It was about 45€/month back then.

GYMS on the other hand. The sort that offer spinning, aerobics and a ton of equipment. Fuuuuck. Because I live in the capital area and wanted to start lifting weights, say, once or twice a week the club chains require a 50€ to 100€ upon joining (membership fee + card + admin costs) and then a between 70-80€ month for yearly membership. The only way to get out of the membership is a doctors certificate about an injury that you move somewhere else, like another city or country.

Of course they'll have campaigns so you can skip the membership fee if you are lucky and get a free month or two (and if you happen to be an instructor at a local Martial Arts gym or just a nice guy or some poo poo, they will probably negotiate a "special" price for you - I was offered a deal of 47€/month, free summer training and no extra entry or membership fees) but you're still locked into it for the year.

Small, cheap local gyms that have have short memberships or one time fees are on the other hand more or less dead :(

A best bet for someone who wants to train MA and lift on the side would be to find a MA club that has equipment or then pay 140€+ on different membership fees a month which is a little harsh. Or have a higher tire position in the IT business so membership fees are not an issue or company benefits: many have free gyms. I always work at either smaller companies or then as an external who never gets to use the free gym ha ha. gently caress me.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

swmmrmanshen posted:

I don't like it. But if the club is a guy's full time job I understand the need for them. A business depending on getting on time monthly cash payments from our demographic would go under pretty quick. And it would be impossible to budget for anything with income fluctuating wildly from month to month.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Our club charges something like $500 a year, ideally split up to two payments. We're not in it to make money, though, so we cut people a lot of slack in terms of payment. We make a lot of special deals for members with a reduced income or people who won't be able to attend all classes, etc.

Monthly payments might be easier on the individual economy on a month by month basis, but only dealing with payment twice a year sure saves us a lot of administrative headaches and extra work.

E; Due to some MA-friends moving to a smaller place, me and my roomie are housing their training mats, and holy gently caress is it awesome to have mats at home. Why haven't I gotten mats sooner?

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 9, 2012

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bohemian Nights posted:

holy gently caress is it awesome to have mats at home. Why haven't I gotten mats sooner?

On that note, what do other people do for home mats? I don't have a room that I can leave mats down permanently, so I have these 1/2 inch puzzle mats. They work really well for doing solo drilling and for general working out. I wouldn't want to fall on them though. Does anybody else have anything they'd recommend? Swain or Zebra mats are obviously the best, but unless somebody has a whole room to dedicate full time (and a lot of spare cash) they don't really fit the bill.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I like the way it was done at the two clubs I went to. You can pay from month to month if you want, but you get a discount if you pay for 4 and then a bigger one if you pay for a full year. I usually go for 4 months because you never know when you'll get injured and I wouldn't want to go through the hassle of trying to get my money back because I injured myself.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

kimbo305 posted:

If the hand leads the kick and stays out in front of your opponent's face while you kick, yes, that's classic Muay Thai, aka I have ribs of steel style. It is good for:
- fencing off wild punches, which is what traditional Thai boxers would have
- transitioning to a clinch or elbow range when you throw the kick/knee from close up
But is poor if they go to the body or do other stuff to get around your kick. Of course, even in this way of doing it, you eventually have to bring your arm back up to guard, so I'm not sure what you mean by "explicitly not to bring the arm back."

If they're getting in on your body in the middle of a kick, then either 1. it's not classic muay thai kick, 2. you're landing the kick wrong, 3. you're arm positioning is bad, or 4. you just have really short femurs.

High kicks always swing the arms towards the face. It's hard to explain in words, but the arm motion should be that of something like a clockwork man. Elbows tight to the body and each lower arm swinging opposite to the other lower arm. For example, if you keep your upper arms pinned to your body, and your lower arms at 90 degree angles, swing your left hand to your face and your right hand to your hips, and that's the basic movement. When you throw a right kick, you're doing that same movement, the only difference is that the right arm is now on the horizontal axis, and will end with your hand in the opponents face. If the hand movements are correct and you make a pause at the full extension, it should be a fully extended, protected right straight. Left hand blocks the head, left arm blocking the body (since you are turned), and the full extension of the right arm blocks possible straights and the shoulder guarding against freakishly long hooks. This position only leaves the stabilizing leg open.

Low kicks I would probably throw like hoost does in the video, with the right arm more towards the middle of the body/angled downwards.

NEVER EVER should the right arm be behind your back.

The key to a good fully protected kick is landing it with the knee and femur as a straight line between you and your opponent (don't forget to turn the hips over also), so if they do try to rush down the kick, they're going to meet the knee. This might not hurt, but it will definitely stop them at the least, unless your stabilizing leg is not stable (i.e. for some reason you are leaning your upper body backwards). Some thais just fight throwing long knees, and if the opponent outranges the knee, they just turn it into a kick.

There is absolutely no excuse for not returning immediately to full guard after finishing the kick, so I also have no idea what he means by not returning the arm.

The only truly effective counter to a good thai kick is either a catch, or a dodge/counter, but since the kick should so naturally return to neutral, dodge/counters tend to be a little rarer or less effective. Some people also try to just take the kick and throw a left hook/straight counter, but this is usually not as effective due to how quickly you should be returning to guard.

All this is from the view point of classic muay thai, so YMMV with MMA

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I haven't seen a lot of movies featuring BJJ, but apparently there's an indie flick, Aardvark, with some blind dude who starts training. I want to see it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT3NKcM11zs

Also, regarding mats:

This is our current setup. Another couple of mats would be nice, but they stay together and are easy to tuck away if you need to. Enough room for two people to drill techniques or do some light rolling, and definitely enough for solo drills. I no longer have to yoga it up on the carpet!

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 9, 2012

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Guilty posted:

The only truly effective counter to a good thai kick is either a catch, or a dodge/counter, but since the kick should so naturally return to neutral, dodge/counters tend to be a little rarer or less effective. Some people also try to just take the kick and throw a left hook/straight counter, but this is usually not as effective due to how quickly you should be returning to guard.

push kick is a decent counter if someone telegraphs the roundhouse thai style. gently caress roundhouse kicks anyway...bullshit anatomy always favors the southpaw

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Paul Pot posted:

push kick is a decent counter if someone telegraphs the roundhouse thai style. gently caress roundhouse kicks anyway...bullshit anatomy always favors the southpaw

Oh yeah, that too

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Paul Pot posted:

bullshit anatomy always favors the southpaw

Can you explain?

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Well, without even talking about movement and tactics, the liver is located on the right side, which won't be taking too many roundhouses due to the fact that jab hands usually guard pretty well and a powerful left roundhouse is telegraphed much more than a powerful right roundhouse

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Don't southpaws have the disadvantage of having a much more exposed liver? Liver punches are scary, and watching Brock Lesnar, a man with a fairly impressive physique if nothing else get KTFOed by a liver kick makes me think those are even more upsetting.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

swmmrmanshen posted:

Don't southpaws have the disadvantage of having a much more exposed liver? Liver punches are scary, and watching Brock Lesnar, a man with a fairly impressive physique if nothing else get KTFOed by a liver kick makes me think those are even more upsetting.

To be fair, his guts are all shot to poo poo from two rounds of diverticulitis and accompanying surgeries. Someone should tell him you can't just live on jerky.

The dumb thing is that he knew this and still decided to have a kickboxing match with Alistair "I loving love kickboxing" Overeem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

swmmrmanshen posted:

that's in boxing because of the lead hook to the body...in kickboxing the southpaw gets kicked in the liver by the weaker lead leg, while the orthodox fighter tastes the rear leg roundhouse + what guilty said about hand positioning and having to telegraph the kick as a righty to make it comparable in power.

• Locked thread