Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
Best run of the day, even with my failure at the "lollipop"! I felt like I was far more aware of the limits of grip with the turbo driving the front wheels this time around. This was one of the funnest track layouts i've seen in a long time. Oh and don't mind me talking to myself!

Also no house music this time around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIMtAa4gS64

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
This is gonna sound dumb but whenever I watch autocross vids I have no clue where the driving path is. I kinda want to try it this summer but I'm fairly sure I'd end up not following the path

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Nodoze posted:

This is gonna sound dumb but whenever I watch autocross vids I have no clue where the driving path is. I kinda want to try it this summer but I'm fairly sure I'd end up not following the path

The vids suck for seeing the track. Most clubs let you walk the course first (or is that just locally?).

whiskas
May 30, 2005

Podothehobbit posted:

Best run of the day, even with my failure at the "lollipop"! I felt like I was far more aware of the limits of grip with the turbo driving the front wheels this time around. This was one of the funnest track layouts i've seen in a long time. Oh and don't mind me talking to myself!

Wow that looks like a fantastic venue.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

Nodoze posted:

You always hear about being lost in a sea of cones but if you do a course walk or two prior to the race and have a semi-competent local club that lays out courses in a logical way you should have no problem! Also, at least for our club, novices can get an experienced person to co-ride with them a few times to help guide you and give pointers on the course.

Conelrad fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 12, 2011

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If it's your first time, go find a novice coordinator (if there is one) and ask them to put you in a car with a more experienced person. Seeing the course at speed will give you an idea about what it's going to look like on the other side of the car. But your first few times out, you're going to be absolutely atrocious time-wise, so get as many ride alongs as you can and definitely have more experienced people in the passenger seat to give you pointers.

You get the hang of it after a few events.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Nodoze posted:

Go out and try it, you will be slow, you will get beat by Miatas, but you will have an absolute blast doing it.

Just learn you car and become a better driver, don't worry about being fast for a while. :)

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I got lost on courses about the first half-dozen times out - I like to think those were particularly confusing courses, due to the combination of cone placement, sightlines through cones at different distances, and the unevenness of the pavement. When I marshal, it becomes pretty obvious pretty quickly if the course is a confusing layout - the radio will be full of "blue neon, off course". I've been at events where a few people never manage to make a complete run without going off course, but I've also been at events where the only people to go off course spun out, rather than got lost.

We always do a course walk, everybody gets a printed map, and ride-alongs for first-timers are strongly encouraged. About as many runs get ruined by getting lost as by mechanical failure - the FSAE guys run hilariously tight tolerances, and sometimes they miss. At the year-ender, one guy ran out of gas about 50m from the stop box. I had to laugh at him when he realized (quickly) what had happened and started pounding on his steering wheel.

\/\/\/ You reminded me that we've done exactly that - set up a wall or a few pointer cones - after the course is laid out but before the first run. Four or five cones in the right place can make a huge difference.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 12, 2011

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I've seen course designers who could make their course more readable. A few leaners/cone walls go a long way in preventing lost cattle.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Podothehobbit posted:

Looks like I missed a pretty awesome course today. Hopefully things will line up better for me in the Spring and I'll make it down to Marana more often.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Ziploc posted:

I've seen course designers who could make their course more readable. A few leaners/cone walls go a long way in preventing lost cattle.
We ended up picking up a bunch of green cones this year to use for pointer cones. The visual contrast really does work, as does "doubling up" the cones if you have a loop element that you hit more than once during the event (one cone for first time, two cones for second time).

shane86
Aug 7, 2008

Ziploc posted:

as a club that used to struggle with this occasionally, it may not be a design problem but a resource issue.. i know a poo poo ton of cones looks like, well, a poo poo ton of cones but there is a finite amount and when you need to setup a course, grid, and have extras for the inevitable car drove off with one at each corner, there may not be enough left over for the wall and pointer cones.

and it's not just budget.. but transport. unless your local club has a good sized truck or trailer setup, carrying a poo poo ton of cones is tricky.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
My old club used yellow cones for the left and orange cones for the right. Worked pretty well.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
My friend made a short film about my car and autocrossing. I'm kind of goony in it, but then again, I am goony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL39bDSulvo

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
That's a great video. Do you (or your filmmaker friend) mind if I post a link to it on my local club's webforum? I'll probably just point to that video the next time somebody asks me what autocross is.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Feel free to post it. He is also putting together an autocross video.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

shane86 posted:

as a club that used to struggle with this occasionally, it may not be a design problem but a resource issue.. i know a poo poo ton of cones looks like, well, a poo poo ton of cones but there is a finite amount and when you need to setup a course, grid, and have extras for the inevitable car drove off with one at each corner, there may not be enough left over for the wall and pointer cones.

and it's not just budget.. but transport. unless your local club has a good sized truck or trailer setup, carrying a poo poo ton of cones is tricky.

Our club used to rent a storage locker that was only about a 5minute drive from the "race track" (parking lot). Two loads in the back of a pickup truck and all the cones were delivered.

It worked out cheaper than the club owning their own trailer and having to tow that heavy bitch everywhere (cones weigh a tonne).

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Depending on the venue, we already have cones there (it's in the boonies, no one will steal them) or we bring them in a pickup truck or the timing van.

BeRandom
Mar 20, 2011
I've decided that this spring I'd like to start Autocrossing. I recently worked on a Ride & Drive tour and spent as much time as I could talking with the pro drivers we had. After expressing my interest in automobiles they suggested I try out Autocross.

After a couple hours of looking for local (Detroit area) events, I couldn't seem to find any Solo events within driving range. When searching by zip code, most races seem to be in Pennsylvania. On top of that, the main SCCA site and the local chapter sites are difficult to navigate.

So the first of many questions I have is, can anyone help me out?

BTW I drive a 2002 Ford Focus ZX3.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

BeRandom posted:

After a couple hours of looking for local (Detroit area) events, I couldn't seem to find any Solo events within driving range. When searching by zip code, most races seem to be in Pennsylvania. On top of that, the main SCCA site and the local chapter sites are difficult to navigate.

So the first of many questions I have is, can anyone help me out?

Google took me here:

http://dcscc.blogspot.com/

Looks like there is a group of clubs that share responsibility for the area, so I'd watch that blog for more info, or hit up their links to the individual clubs and see what you can find out.

Also, try https://www.sccaforums.com and hit up the section on there for the appropriate location(I think it's Central Division) and ask - looks like that area of the forums is pretty active. There is also a Great Lakes region section.

BeRandom
Mar 20, 2011
Excellent name/post combo.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Now only if spring was already here.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
So i'll be mixing it up and going to the Sierra Vista autocross tomorrow (Can't miss my Packers playing next week). Any other Arizona goons hitting it up? Supposedly it's slightly faster then the Marana events which would be pretty crazy!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Podothehobbit posted:

So i'll be mixing it up and going to the Sierra Vista autocross tomorrow (Can't miss my Packers playing next week). Any other Arizona goons hitting it up? Supposedly it's slightly faster then the Marana events which would be pretty crazy!

This one is at the Sierra Vista airport, so shouldn't really be faster than Marana, although that's completely dependent on the course design. It's a nice site, concrete airport tarmac.

If you want to hit a SV event where you can expect higher speeds, catch them when they are running at BDI (Bisbee Douglass Int'l). They run on large sections of the runway there, so the courses are long and stretched out, and the speeds tend to be higher, vs. Sierra Vista which is a ramp area, so closer to the Marana layout.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

shane86 posted:

I'd say that MAC does a better job with this than many.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
Well it was a fun one in Sierra Vista. A good showout and a pretty fun track design! For the first time I felt like I was keeping the turbo in the sweet spot! It was nice to beat a few shifter karts for a change! The only issue I had was with timing on the final slalom, I was carrying a hell of a lot of speed into it and chickened out and hit the brakes, thus throwing me off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40W2t_5P9y4&feature=youtube_gdata

Conelrad fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 9, 2012

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

That looked like a pretty tight course for Sierra Vista. Makes me sort of glad I stayed home, even though it wasn't really an option to go.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What turbo kit are you running on the egg?

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

What turbo kit are you running on the egg?

The kit is from Zage Turbosystems over in Taiwan and the turbine is a 15g.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I made it for the first half of the last ever Rally-x event at Race City Speedway (back lot) in Calgary on New Year's Eve, thanks to Seat Safety Switch.

Turns out, a mid-90's Subaru mades a fine lawnmower, especially once the muffler falls off. At least, that's my opinion based on what happened setting up the course.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You did pretty well. If you had stayed you probably would have won one of the prizes for "most consistent!"

Feel free to come back anytime for autocross or ice autocross, which we like to call "July."

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

I made it for the first half of the last ever Rally-x event at Race City Speedway (back lot) in Calgary on New Year's Eve, thanks to Seat Safety Switch.

Nice picture.

I lose far too many parts off of my BMW just auto-crossing, I can't even begin to imagine what would fall off if I tried to rally-cross it!

whiskas
May 30, 2005

The Locator posted:

Nice picture.

I lose far too many parts off of my BMW just auto-crossing, I can't even begin to imagine what would fall off if I tried to rally-cross it!

But... superior German adhesives?

I saw those photos on the CSCC forum, it was kinda humbling knowing it was one of the last events ever to be held at race city. The first time I ever wore a helmet behind the steering wheel of a car was on the oval.

Guess there's nothing left but to autocross on parking lots until one of the many rumors of a nearby track materializes.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Nodoze posted:

As has been said, walking the track helps.

I feel that the ones I attend are, generally, easy to follow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsfB8RzbS5g&list=UUsYuMu6e_ecFTy4JVA-ORcA&index=8&feature=plcp Watch in HD or you won't be able to see it well.

It helps that we use flour lines when possible.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 12, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

whiskas posted:

Guess there's nothing left but to autocross on parking lots until one of the many rumors of a nearby track materializes.
Apparently the organizers are looking at new venues for rallycross, etc. I regret that I never really got a chance to run on the full track at RCMP; closest I got was riding along on a drag race pull at Secret Street and helping wrench at Chump Car.

At the first rallycross event this year they were dismantling the floodlights and timing board as we were competing. About halfway through one of the maintenance workers tried to run the quarter in his work truck, which was hilarious.

I'm surprised more people didn't come out to say goodbye to Race City. Here's my car turning its back on it:

I guess there's always Stratotech if I feel like a track day or two. There's also a handful of podunk drag strips around Southern Alberta that I'm surprised nobody has approached about being converted to a full course, since surely they've already done all the work of cleaning up NIMBYism.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

mlmp08 posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsfB8RzbS5g&list=UUsYuMu6e_ecFTy4JVA-ORcA&index=8&feature=plcp Watch in HD or you won't be able to see it well.

Eh, even when I watch videos of tracks I've run, I find it hard to follow. Your eyes and swiveling head can see a lot more than some fixed camera. Ever since I started running blind (no course walks, no time as I am chief of workers and by the time all the clusterfucks are sorted out the cars are about to start running) I've figured out that looking ahead, which is hard to do from a camera view, really helps in sorting out what is what.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Idea: Somehow mount Iphone 3gs to the side of helmet (facing forward), profit!

(Would it be able to see anything whatsoever outside of the windshield?)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

It also helps that you guys have an awesome site, with plenty of room. The smaller venues tend to be a lot more difficult to follow, as the course designers try to pack 10 pounds of course into a 3 pound lot.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

The Locator posted:

It also helps that you guys have an awesome site, with plenty of room. The smaller venues tend to be a lot more difficult to follow, as the course designers try to pack 10 pounds of course into a 3 pound lot.

Yeah. The only real complaint with our venue is that we are frequently using it the night after events whose sole purpose seems to be smashing glass bottles all over the place. It can take 2-3 hours just to pick up nails, spent ammo casings, beer bottle glass, and aluminum cans from the area.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Just picked up the most expensive jacket I've ever bought:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Just picked up the most expensive jacket I've ever bought:

Congratulations.

Content: Car is loaded on the trailer, and ready to head out at Dark-O-Thirty in the morning. This will be my first event as Solo Director for the region. Not sure how I feel about being dumb enough to volunteer for this, the last week has been pretty interesting and busy.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 15, 2012

• Locked thread