Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

I'm going to ask here instead of IYG.

A friend of mine just got a new iMac, her first computer in years since she's been broke more or less. The thing is, she has an iPhone 4 running iOS 5, and it's been synched up to her work computer since she's not had a computer for home.

I told her to hold off on synching her iPhone to her new iMac as I am worried that it will wipe out all of her phone's addresses, photos, etc. Is there a way she can backup her iPhone to her work's iMac and then transfer the information to her new home iMac, and if so, how?

Get a portable USB drive and move the entire iTunes folder from the work computer and copy it onto the new computer. This is the easiest and best way to do it. There are probably more complicated ways, but this is pretty foolproof.

Edit: And if she buys a USB hard drive, she can use it as an external backup drive for her iMac, which is a really good thing to have anyway. ( I would say it should be mandatory if you are going to own a computer)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

echobucket posted:

Get a portable USB drive and move the entire iTunes folder from the work computer and copy it onto the new computer. This is the easiest and best way to do it. There are probably more complicated ways, but this is pretty foolproof.

Edit: And if she buys a USB hard drive, she can use it as an external backup drive for her iMac, which is a really good thing to have anyway. ( I would say it should be mandatory if you are going to own a computer)
If this isn't possible, then setup iCloud backup on the iPhone and let it do a backup. If anything is lost when syncing with her home iMac, then she can restore from the iCloud backup.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

wolffenstein posted:

If this isn't possible, then setup iCloud backup on the iPhone and let it do a backup. If anything is lost when syncing with her home iMac, then she can restore from the iCloud backup.

The work iMac isn't running iCloud, and numerous people have had iCloud wipe out their phone's info when they turn it on, so the external drive is the best. Thanks!

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

I'm going to ask here instead of IYG.

A friend of mine just got a new iMac, her first computer in years since she's been broke more or less. The thing is, she has an iPhone 4 running iOS 5, and it's been synched up to her work computer since she's not had a computer for home.

I told her to hold off on synching her iPhone to her new iMac as I am worried that it will wipe out all of her phone's addresses, photos, etc. Is there a way she can backup her iPhone to her work's iMac and then transfer the information to her new home iMac, and if so, how?

I believe you can right click on the phone in the new iMac, select Back Up, then restore the phone and then restore from that backup. From then on the phone will be married to the iMac, but have all the stuff from the backup preserved. I think I've done this before, but no guarantees that it will work for you.

The best option (as others have said) is just to copy over the iTunes library from her work machine, including the "iTunes Library" database file. Make sure to do a consolidate library first so that all your media files are in that folder before copying it over.

Here is a step by step guide (Use the 'external drive' section): http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4527

Fastbreak
Jul 4, 2002
Don't worry, I had ten bucks.
Forgive me if this was stated before but search didn't help me out.

I may be doing some .Net development on a mac in the near future. Someone recommended VM Fusion for the windows instance, but is there something else you guys recommend?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

chimz posted:

I believe you can right click on the phone in the new iMac, select Back Up, then restore the phone and then restore from that backup. From then on the phone will be married to the iMac, but have all the stuff from the backup preserved. I think I've done this before, but no guarantees that it will work for you.

The best option (as others have said) is just to copy over the iTunes library from her work machine, including the "iTunes Library" database file. Make sure to do a consolidate library first so that all your media files are in that folder before copying it over.

Here is a step by step guide (Use the 'external drive' section): http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4527

I'll let her know that as well. Thanks!

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Vertigus posted:

I use jitouch to re-enter the 21st century, where having a middle mouse button/3-finger tap to open new tabs is a no-brainer.

From last page, but thanks, this is loving phenomenal. It's free to try, then asks you to purchase a $7 license every once in a while, which you can just ignore and turn the gestures back on again. I haven't encountered any problems yet and love what it's let me do, so as long as it's smooth sailing still for the next day or two I'll definitely buy that license.

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

Martytoof posted:

So now that globalSAN is a paid product, are there any free iSCSI initiators that work with Lion?

Why can't they just build this into the OS already? :(

Unless anything came out in the last month there isn't. It's globalSAN or xtend which is $$$$$ :smith:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well I guess I'll be ponying up for globalSAN eventually after my 14 day trial is up. I wish I had caught it when it was $49 instead of $90 though :(

I'm curious to see if this price increase will inspire a port of some open source iSCSI initiator, or whether iSCSI is just so out of the realm of need for most Mac users that we'll never get a nice free offering again (hint hint: this one)

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
What do people consider the best password manager for running across multiple systems? 1Password and LastPass look like decent ones, but I'm definitely open to a better suggestion if there is one.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

So I wanted to take a bunch of 1-2 page .pdf files and combine them into single, chapter files. "No problem!" I thought, and cheerfully began putting together a simple Automator workflow. I ran about 3 sets of 20 files each when I noticed that my system was starting to bog down.

"Hmm, I wonder what that is." I wondered and opened up Activity Monitor to take a look:

...:suicide:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oneiros posted:

check to see if you inserted a step that is called "inflate swapfile" :3:

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
What the poo poo is going on with my App Store?

I don't actually have Angry Birds, that's not my email address, and I am signed in to the store under my own account. :confused:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Did you pirate a copy of Final Cut Pro?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Martytoof posted:

check to see if you inserted a step that is called "inflate swapfile" :3:

Nope, just Get --> Combine --> Move. :iiam:

Mu Zeta posted:

Did you pirate a copy of Final Cut Pro Angry Birds?

Does anyone else have access to your computer? Is there an unexplained copy of Angry Birds on there?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Angry Birds was used for downloading apps for free from the App Store an other shennanigans

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2011/01/06/mac-app-store-bootlegging

quote:

Copy the App Store receipt from any legit Mac App Store download — including from any free app — and paste it into a bootleg download of Angry Birds, and it’ll run.

This isn’t true for all paid Mac App Store apps. For apps that follow Apple’s advice on validating App Store receipts, this simple technique will not work. But, alas, it appears that many apps don’t perform any validation whatsoever, or do so incorrectly, like Angry Birds. (Angry Birds checks for a valid receipt, but doesn’t check to see that the bundle ID for the receipt matches its own bundle ID.)

Apple should test for this in the review process, and reject paid apps that are susceptible to this simple technique.

That russian email address is common

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
No Final Cut Pro, but there are definitely Angry Birds remnants floating around that I can't explain, time to yell at the roommate. Thanks.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
How the hell do you install bootcamp without a dvd drive? I tried restoring the iso to a flash drive and boot camp assistant doesn't see it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

How the hell do you install bootcamp without a dvd drive? I tried restoring the iso to a flash drive and boot camp assistant doesn't see it.
The Boot Camp Assistant that comes with the Air and new Mini allow you to use USB installation media, but I think you're hosed on any other machine.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
gently caress. :negative:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
huh? if the drive is formatted right there shouldn't be an issue. If it asks for media and doesn't like the USB drive, just try restarting and booting off of it anyway.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

fleshweasel posted:

huh? if the drive is formatted right there shouldn't be an issue. If it asks for media and doesn't like the USB drive, just try restarting and booting off of it anyway.

As I found out a few weeks ago the MBP's have no support for USB install of bootcamp. You cannot use OEM media in a USB cd-rom or USB flash created by Microsofts own tool. The USB boot media seems to be lacking from any of the MBP EFI for bootcamp.

Nothing worked besides hooking up the super drive back to the internal SATA.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

BlackMK4 posted:

gently caress. :negative:
I think rEFIt might allow you to boot from windows USB installation sticks: http://refit.sourceforge.net/

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
You can use the Parallels trial to do it from an image of the install DVD.

http://insidethebrackets.blogspot.com.au/2009/04/install-windows-on-macbook-air-with-no.html

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Fastbreak posted:

I may be doing some .Net development on a mac in the near future. Someone recommended VM Fusion for the windows instance, but is there something else you guys recommend?
Well the only options (that I know of) are Parallels and VirtualBox (free!). Well there's also Wine (and CrossOver) but I'm guessing those won't work for your use.

I use and recommend VMware myself but Parallels is supposedly pretty good now, although their support still sucks afaik. I haven't tried VirtualBox but others have said it's decent enough nowadays, like it might not be as polished or user friendly to set up but past that it works.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Fastbreak posted:

If you're not looking to do anything Windows-specific (WPF, etc), then Mono is a fully .Net 4.0-compatible compiler for .Net: http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

They have an IDE which is half-way decent, though I'm not really all that keen on IDE's.

unruly fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 10, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Any suggestions on clipboard software? I'd like something that can hold say 10 slots instead of just 1.

Fastbreak
Jul 4, 2002
Don't worry, I had ten bucks.

unruly posted:

If you're not looking to do anything Windows-specific (WPF, etc), then Mono is a fully .Net 4.0-compatible compiler for .Net: http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

They have an IDE which is half-way decent, though I'm not really all that keen on IDE's.

Yes, I haqve built for mono and it's awesome. But to fully support the system I am deving for, I have to use an instance of IIS. :(

japtor posted:

Well the only options (that I know of) are Parallels and VirtualBox (free!). Well there's also Wine (and CrossOver) but I'm guessing those won't work for your use.

I use and recommend VMware myself but Parallels is supposedly pretty good now, although their support still sucks afaik. I haven't tried VirtualBox but others have said it's decent enough nowadays, like it might not be as polished or user friendly to set up but past that it works.

Thanks, I will look into both of these. I thought Fusion was the big one nowadays but I have only been looking into it in my sparse spare time.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I use Virtualbox for Windows stuff (IE testing and VMware Infrastructure admin) all day long and it works perfect. I also keep a Linux VM going for :ninja: web access etc.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I used VirtualBox until I switched to VMFusion because I was concentrating on VMWare material. That said, I can't think of a single thing I didn't like about VirtualBox. The price was right, it did absolutely everything I (personally) wanted to do in Windows, and did it without a hassle.

I think it might suck at 3D gaming or something? But that's when I boot into Windows anyway.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
I use Parallels for a bit of 3D gaming. That works fine, but I wouldn't have gotten it if I didn't get it with a heavy discount with one of those MacUpdate deals.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If you decide on VMware or Parallels look around for a coupon code, there's usually one to get them around $40 vs the regular $70 or whatever (some are competitive upgrades and may require proof of the other product though).

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

~Coxy posted:

You can use the Parallels trial to do it from an image of the install DVD.

http://insidethebrackets.blogspot.com.au/2009/04/install-windows-on-macbook-air-with-no.html

I guess I can try that tonight.

Mercurius posted:

I think rEFIt might allow you to boot from windows USB installation sticks: http://refit.sourceforge.net/

Couldn't get that to work. Can I use virtualbox and give it raw disk access?

ripburger
Jan 12, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

I guess I can try that tonight.

Couldn't get that to work. Can I use virtualbox and give it raw disk access?

I spent the past week trying to this whole thing after much Googling and Apple-based forums reading. Long story short, Apple doesn't support this on a lot of Mac firmwares (I'm using a 2011 MacBook Pro). Couldn't boot from an external DVD via USB, or USB flash drive, nor could I install to the physical partition with a VM and reboot. I was trying to do an OptiBay setup and finally had to go back to mounting the original hard disk and DVD drive and installing Windows that way. After getting it working, I swapped everything back with my SSD and hard disk and am now back up and running.

I partitioned with Disk Utility and made the other drive MBR instead of GPT, just in case Windows was going to be finicky about things (and from my understanding and experience, it sometimes is with GPT).

If you do get this to work, please post about how you did it, as I would be quite interested in finding an answer.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The optical going back in is what I dread because I already managed to damage the hard drive cable once just by bending it too much ( the only thing I can come up with ) so I'm paranoid now. Skyrim better be worth it and run decently on this 2010 13.

ripburger
Jan 12, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

The optical going back in is what I dread because I already managed to damage the hard drive cable once just by bending it too much ( the only thing I can come up with ) so I'm paranoid now. Skyrim better be worth it and run decently on this 2010 13.

Let me know if you do get the VM thing working. I tried with VirtualBox treating the second disk as a raw disk, and all I got were Microsoft boot errors that I could do nothing with.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Did you let it boot in the VM at all? I've used a VM to install the OS for machines without graphics output in the past but never anything but Linux or FreeBSD.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Pages has a handy button under "Share" labeled "Send Via Mail". This button is supposed to convert the current document to the format of your choice, then plop it in a new email message. Lately, when I click this button, nothing at all happens.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Did you change your default email client?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ripburger
Jan 12, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Did you let it boot in the VM at all? I've used a VM to install the OS for machines without graphics output in the past but never anything but Linux or FreeBSD.

I should have tried. All the stuff I was finding on Google and other forums were saying not to allow it to get past the first boot in the VM, lest Windows install the Virtual Box reference hardware drivers, and not the native MacBook Pro ones. Though I only tried this method with a GPT partition table, and not an MBR. Perhaps that's the key?