Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Sexual Lorax posted:

:h: you for posting this. Some of Cosby's funniest work, and, even if you only think it's kind of funny, you need to listen to the whole thing. Payoff is worth it.

"The speedometer started at zero and went to two-hundred and below the two-hundred there was more room and it said 'oh wow!'"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahnarch
Jan 7, 2008

Landing?
Do, or Do Not.
There is no 'Try'.
I do love me some Bill. His storytelling ability is unmatched!

Had this roll in today.

A driver pulled into a customers lot and...his wheels fell off.

I'm not really sure why our field tech didn't grab the hub and tires, since he had an impact to disassemble the rims.
He left the tires/drum in the customer's parking lot until tomorrow. [I think he was just cold.]

Our driver traveled 22 miles this way, back to HQ, with our tech in tow.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

Mahnarch posted:

He left the tires/drum in the customer's parking lot until tomorrow. [I think he was just cold.]

It's not lazy, it's installation art. Tell the customer he can sell tickets, because it'll be there until March 5th when it goes back to the MoMA.

Mahnarch
Jan 7, 2008

Landing?
Do, or Do Not.
There is no 'Try'.
You must be some sort of...'psy-cat'.. eh? *nudge nudge*

Anyone?

No?

Hrm. Yeah. My guy didn't pick them up today.
"Tomorrow!", he says.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
80 grit sandpaper has been banned from our shop floor after we started rejecting parts for being 10-20 thou OOT after coming back from deburr. We can't just ban the deburr department from using 80 grit because they'll take a partially used pad out of the trash and horde them in the deburr room. :negative:

E: I realize this isn't exactly a mechanical failure but god drat.

rscott fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 6, 2012

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
10-20 thou? gently caress me sideways, that's double (or more) of some of our entire tolerance windows...

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

InitialDave posted:

10-20 thou? gently caress me sideways, that's double (or more) of some of our entire tolerance windows...

Hah, yeah most of our parts are like 5 thou tolerance. When I first heard of this issue I was all :psyduck: because deburr is just supposed to take off the obvious scratches and burrs and 80 grit is probably going to have a rougher finish than some of the parts coming straight off the machine. It just makes no sense to me.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Here is the rotor off of the 3500 Chevy my brother is working on.

E: I made a hub insert for our SAE Baja car with IIRC a 2 thou tolerance using a terrible belt driven lathe with a completely worn out belt :(

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 7, 2012

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

rscott posted:

Hah, yeah most of our parts are like 5 thou tolerance. When I first heard of this issue I was all :psyduck: because deburr is just supposed to take off the obvious scratches and burrs and 80 grit is probably going to have a rougher finish than some of the parts coming straight off the machine. It just makes no sense to me.

Tell them to machine it to a 32 :argh: finish.

Sorry, that's not quite as funny as it was in my head.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
From 20 pages back

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Holy poo poo! :stare:

The ship is still stuck on the reef but has just broken into two parts.

Video here: http://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/rena-crisis/6226836/Up-to-300-containers-lost-in-Rena-split

Amazing it held together for this long really.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

MonkeyNutZ posted:

E: I made a hub insert for our SAE Baja car with IIRC a 2 thou tolerance using a terrible belt driven lathe with a completely worn out belt :(

Okay I might be showing my ignorance here, but how the hell does that happen? I know it's not unique since we had a couple of pages that were nothing but worn-to-hell rotors, but it seems like there would have to be no pad at all, and the driver would have to be holding both the gas and brake pedals to the floorboard for an entire trip for that much metal to be taken off.

dissss posted:

That's a whole duffel bag of gently caress right there. But I'm sure that in about 40 years it'll be one hell of a wreck dive.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Rujo King posted:

Okay I might be showing my ignorance here, but how the hell does that happen? I know it's not unique since we had a couple of pages that were nothing but worn-to-hell rotors, but it seems like there would have to be no pad at all, and the driver would have to be holding both the gas and brake pedals to the floorboard for an entire trip for that much metal to be taken off.

Stuck caliper?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Rujo King posted:

That's not a rapid thing, it's just that much neglect that it eventually wears that much :saddowns:.

Mahnarch
Jan 7, 2008

Landing?
Do, or Do Not.
There is no 'Try'.
I recently bought a '93 Ranger (since buffed out and shinier):

"I just had it tuned up!", he says.

It started misfiring today so I pulled a plug - expecting a coolant soaked electrode.

This is what I found (thankfully):

I've read some info on several sites that say that the AWSF-32PP plug is no longer relevant?

I'm going to go down to my local parts shoppe for some Autolites.
Does anyone have a better suggestion? (Granted, it IS just a 2.3L 5sp Ranger).

Should I just buy a crate 302? Just wet myself.

[Edit: checks pocket lint for extra cash...then remembers he has half a million in one of his mutual funds...]

[[Edited Edit: The photo sucks worse than I thought. I'll have to re-shoot later]]

[[[Edit Edit Edit: Yeah, the Gran Torino would look like this if it was done up right. I'm working on it - after the Ranger tune up.
Just gotta clear out some space in the garage.]]]

[[[[Edit the fourth: Anyone need a natural gas garage furnace? I got one that's just sitting here taking up space. Not sure if it works but, my dad brought it here after my great grandfather passed. It worked in his garage]]]]

Mahnarch fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jan 8, 2012

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Mahnarch posted:

"I just had it tuned up!", he says.

It started misfiring today so I pulled a plug - expecting a coolant soaked electrode.

This is what I found (thankfully):

I've read some info on several sites that say that the AWSF-32PP plug is no longer relevant?

I'm going to go down to my local parts shoppe for some Autolites.
Does anyone have a better suggestion? (Granted, it IS just a 2.3L 5sp Ranger).

Should I just buy a crate 302? Just wet myself.

[Edit: checks pocket lint for extra cash...then remembers he has half a million in one of his mutual funds...]

[[Edited Edit: The photo sucks worse than I thought. I'll have to re-shoot later]]

[[[Edit Edit Edit: Yeah, the Gran Torino would look like this if it was done up right. I'm working on it - after the Ranger tune up.
Just gotta clear out some space in the garage.]]]

[[[[Edit the fourth: Anyone need a natural gas garage furnace? I got one that's just sitting here taking up space. Not sure if it works but, my dad brought it here after my great grandfather passed. It worked in his garage]]]]

Was this post a bipolar confession of some sort? :psyduck:

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
I honestly thought for a second that you had found a Torino while examining the spark plug.
I was very confused.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
The 3.0 ranger really takes well to whatever Bosch "I've got 30 electrodes" plugs AZ sells. The Ford 2.0 Zetec runs horribly with them, however.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Mahnarch posted:

It's just been superseded, if you have someone look it up by application at a parts store there is just a new Motorcraft part number for them.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Skyssx posted:

The 3.0 ranger really takes well to whatever Bosch "I've got 30 electrodes" plugs AZ sells.

Really? I've tried a set (for shits and giggles) in a GM 3800 and in the 3.0 Mitsu V6 in the mid-90's Plymouths and Chrysler Vans, and both engines practically poo poo themselves, but were just fine with $.85 copper NGKs.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Geirskogul posted:

Really? I've tried a set (for shits and giggles) in a GM 3800 and in the 3.0 Mitsu V6 in the mid-90's Plymouths and Chrysler Vans, and both engines practically poo poo themselves, but were just fine with $.85 copper NGKs.

It worked on both me and my mom's Rangers. Tried it on my sister's ZX2 and it ran even shittier. Reportedly, you need to use OEM plugs on the Mazda based 4 cylinders in the modern Focus &c, too. My Tundra is getting poo poo mileage at 41k. I want to try new plugs being that every plug i've pulled at 100k could fit a quarter between the electrodes. Don't know if I should use el-cheapo coppers and change them every 25k or get the $18/plug OEMs.

Mahnarch
Jan 7, 2008

Landing?
Do, or Do Not.
There is no 'Try'.
I ended up getting the Autolite single plats., along with a new timing belt and tensioner it runs quite swell, now.

I also remember why I got out of the garage so many years ago.
My poor knees and back...

Eight plugs and Timing belt = 2 hours.
I guess I still got it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Skyssx posted:

It worked on both me and my mom's Rangers. Tried it on my sister's ZX2 and it ran even shittier. Reportedly, you need to use OEM plugs on the Mazda based 4 cylinders in the modern Focus &c, too. My Tundra is getting poo poo mileage at 41k. I want to try new plugs being that every plug i've pulled at 100k could fit a quarter between the electrodes. Don't know if I should use el-cheapo coppers and change them every 25k or get the $18/plug OEMs.

When I got my car, it had the original NGK platinums with over 130k. Swapped them for the cheapest NGK coppers for a bit, mileage still sucked. Swapped over to NGK BKR5EGP (NGK's economy level platinums I believe) and my mileage doing pizza delivery (tons of stops/starts) is a bit higher than the EPA city rating for my car.

EPA rated 21 city/28 highway/24 mixed, I'm averaging 23-25 doing delivery (100% city, constant stop/start). I also changed the primary O2 sensor when I changed the original plugs, didn't touch it when I switched the plugs again. The o2 sensor was original, not throwing any codes, but definitely a bit lazy when I did some data logging.

The NGK platinums were cheap too, $3/ea at AutoZone. I don't get why the coppers didn't help with mileage, they looked fine when I pulled them back out. Far better than the originals did. :iiam:

The OEM plugs on your Tundra are either Denso or NGK, don't bother with the dealer. AutoZone will definitely have the NGK version. I personally swear by NGK plugs/NTK oxygen sensors, but Denso makes an excellent product as well.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If you weren't half a country away I'd be interested in that furnace. Any chance you find yourself in Massachusetts sometimes?

Mahnarch
Jan 7, 2008

Landing?
Do, or Do Not.
There is no 'Try'.
I'll find myself in Grand Rapids tomorrow...
Then it's north to Newaygo.

Whenever I leave Michigan, I end up in Chicago or Goshen.

If you were to travel all the way here, I'd just give it to you (no guarantee on workage, though).

It doesn't look that old, either.
Grandpa passed in 2004 and it's been here since.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
hmmmm. Closest I get to any of those is NYC.

Mahnarch
Jan 7, 2008

Landing?
Do, or Do Not.
There is no 'Try'.

meatpimp posted:

Was this post a bipolar confession of some sort? :psyduck:

It was a TRIpolar...thingie.

Eh?... I have no idea.

parrhesia posted:

I honestly thought for a second that you had found a Torino while examining the spark plug.
I was very confused.

Don't worry. Not everyone can graduate magna cum laude.
If it weren't for cloudy days, we couldn't enjoy the sunny ones! :)

Mahnarch
Jan 7, 2008

Landing?
Do, or Do Not.
There is no 'Try'.

kastein posted:

hmmmm. Closest I get to any of those is NYC.

It would appear that the halfway point betwixt here and there is Rochester, NY.
That's if I were to travel through Canada...

...I don't go through Canada.

Erie, PA if I went down around the straights.

But, that's too much of a drive to give away something for nothing (unless you have a hot, single sister, or something!).

[Edit]
I have a friend that lives in Bradford, PA that I could mooch off of for a few days if I took the furnace in my Cessna.

But, I can't fit a 3x3x3' furnace through a 2x3' cargo door. :(

Z98 to KBFD = 2:45 hours.

Mahnarch fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 9, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I have a sister, but she's got a black belt in karate and currently has a girlfriend. Your call.

Mahnarch
Jan 7, 2008

Landing?
Do, or Do Not.
There is no 'Try'.
Ehhhh, I got nothin'.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I should have known you were a pilot from the avatar... friend of mine had his experimental parked in my yard for the last year, just sold it though. I live a mile off the south approach to 3B0 and fly 8B5, LWM, ORH, TEB, SWF, BOS, NYC, LGA, JFK, and a handful of others all the time.

Been looking at getting a half-built experimental/kitplane and finishing it up recently, I want to either get my pilots license and a small plane or a motorcycle endorsement and a bike. Pretty sure the airplane is a saner choice seeing as I like going fast/pushing my limits and don't trust other drivers to not run my rear end over. At least if I die in the sky, it'll be my fault, not some dumbass on a cellphone.

Mahnarch
Jan 7, 2008

Landing?
Do, or Do Not.
There is no 'Try'.
Guilty as charged!

If you're going to go 'Experimental', it's best to start from scratch.
That way you know what's what and how come.

If you want something cheap, buy a Cessna C140.
They can be had for as cheap as $13k to $20k.
They're slow and old but, hey, you can't beat the price!

My driver's license looks like a 4 Star General's uniform.

O*, CDL**, A***, B****, CY***** - plus my PPL******, ASEL******* is a separate license.

*Operators
**Commercial Driver's License
***Articulating (Semi/Tractor Trailer)
****Whatever 'B' stands for (Extra duty straight truck/Chauffeur).
*****Cycle Endorsement.
******Private Pilot
*******Airplane, Single Engine, Land

[Edit]
OH, Snaps!

I just looked up 3B0.

It's almost an exact replica of Z98.

2/20 runways.
699ft msl compared to 740 here.
Runways about 500ft longer.
No tower.

I would feel at home there.

Mahnarch fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 9, 2012

BlackShadow
May 31, 2009

If you haven't already, you should come hang out with us in this thread.

For content:

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/aus...c-1226239657302

Mahnarch
Jan 7, 2008

Landing?
Do, or Do Not.
There is no 'Try'.

BlackShadow posted:

If you haven't already, you should come hang out with us in this thread.

For content:

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/aus...c-1226239657302

I have not hung.

I shall hang there, now.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Mahnarch posted:

It would appear that the halfway point betwixt here and there is Rochester, NY.
That's if I were to travel through Canada...

...I don't go through Canada.

Erie, PA if I went down around the straights.

But, that's too much of a drive to give away something for nothing (unless you have a hot, single sister, or something!).

[Edit]
I have a friend that lives in Bradford, PA that I could mooch off of for a few days if I took the furnace in my Cessna.

But, I can't fit a 3x3x3' furnace through a 2x3' cargo door. :(

Z98 to KBFD = 2:45 hours.

Intersections: not horrible mechanical failures

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Mahnarch posted:

I have not hung.

I shall hang there, now.

It's like ChromeCrank, only with better grammar.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

This chick has more balls than all of GBS combined.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Mahnarch posted:

congrats!

My Ranger seems to really love some 8mm plug wires and the appropriate NGK iridium plugs.
However, your tuneup will cost more than a cadillac. Don't forget you've got to buy 8 of those suckers.

Crustashio posted:

Stuck caliper?

we all know that's not true, even though we wish it was.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Yey! I finally get to post one of my own.

I'm replacing the head gasket in a 500 dollar MR2 I purchased as a second car. Aside from the ripped out torque mount and the incredible assortment of wrong bolts and wood screws that held it all together I found this. I wanted to see why it had zero gear oil when I pulled it.

Hello differential, you getting some air?

I think he tried to JB weld it with paper or something.

Edit:

Kotaru fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 9, 2012

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MonkeyNutZ posted:

To display my previous ignorance, 15 years ago when my Explorer's front bearing blew out in the Middle of Nowhere, South Dakota on Christmas Eve, the guy that I found at the bowling alley who had a shop and was willing to fix it using (amazingly!) a tractor part that was the same let me watch. My rotor looked like that, and I assumed that it was a sensor deal for the ABS brakes - you know, it would have a magnet that would sense when those bars were going past, that's how it would know your wheels were spinning and do the ABS magic. So I point into the mess (he is hammering on it with a hammer and a screwdriver at this point) and ask "so is that for the ABS system?" and he goes "I think so" but who knows what he thought I was pointing at. I never put two and two together, but I did learn that I needed new brakes shortly thereafter...

A few years later my brother-in-law showed me how to change the brakes on a car, I was :aaaaa: (you mean that's all there is to it?) and I went downhill from there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

An inspector for DC's Metro found this on Friday the 6th and all it took was a light hit with a hammer to completely separate the rotor from the train car and into the bits above. It was last inspected on December 10th and was only reinspected because on the 20th one of these 200lb monsters broke off and made contact with the 3rd rail, stranding hundreds for hours in the tunnels under DC and completely loving up everyone elses' commutes.

There's not a single touch of rust on that crack either, so this wasn't gradual. Hooray for lowest bid parts!