Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Would anyone know of a better way to customize the long press functionality on the search button? Maybe it's silly, but I HATE the menu that pops up with the options for it, but I want to use more than just one item for it :( I tried LaunchKey, but it only supports launching apps and/or system toggles, none of the quick options like Handcent quick compose, FriendCaster quick post, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lprsti99 posted:

Would anyone know of a better way to customize the long press functionality on the search button? Maybe it's silly, but I HATE the menu that pops up with the options for it, but I want to use more than just one item for it :( I tried LaunchKey, but it only supports launching apps and/or system toggles, none of the quick options like Handcent quick compose, FriendCaster quick post, etc.
CM7 allows you to specify longpress functions for all of the buttons.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010
I just tried to download Juice Defender for my Nexus One on AT&T and the Market says, "This item isn't available by your carrier."

What the gently caress is that poo poo? I've never seen that message in the nearly two years I've had an android phone.

Is there any way to get around this and get Juice Defender or is there a good alternative app?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

CM7 allows you to specify longpress functions for all of the buttons.

HTC Inspire 4g, which is apparently a bitch to root, as it's apparently one of like 3 phones that doesn't work with SuperOneClick :(

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Bruce Leroy posted:

Is there any way to get around this and get Juice Defender or is there a good alternative app?

If you're rooted, try MarketEnabler.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Bruce Leroy posted:

I just tried to download Juice Defender for my Nexus One on AT&T and the Market says, "This item isn't available by your carrier."

What the gently caress is that poo poo? I've never seen that message in the nearly two years I've had an android phone.

I recall other people saying this about AT&T, if I remember right they could get the beta version of juice defender though so try that.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.latedroid.juicedefender.beta

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 8, 2012

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Transferring files between 2 android devices by wifi - any recommendations?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Cakefool posted:

One hosting a samba server and the other getting the files via ES file explorer?

davestones
May 7, 2009

Cakefool posted:

Bump has worked for me in the past. It's a bit cumbersome and not always reliable though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cakefool posted:

Sereri posted:

One hosting a samba server and the other getting the files via ES file explorer?
This is my preferred solution although another would be to use a network share as an intermediary. A third option would be Dropbox. AirDroid would also work if you don't have preconfigured network shares at your disposal (but if you don't, you're a scrub).

Edit:

gmq posted:

Would this be faster than transferring via bluetooth?
Typing in the 0s and 1s by hand is almost faster than bluetooth in my experience.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 8, 2012

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Cakefool posted:

Would this be faster than transferring via bluetooth?

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

MentosMan posted:

Is there a good app out there that you can simultaneously post to twitter and facebook from? My mom is trying to get her business' social media going, and wants to be able to post little blurbs from her phone, and have it upload the same thing (with attached pictures sometimes) to Twitter and Facebook

Look up Tweetdeck, I think it can do that for you.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cakefool posted:

Dropbox via ES File is my preferred method as it is very simple copy/paste, but it can be slow and has the limitation of limited space in your Dropbox.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Lprsti99 posted:

HTC Inspire 4g, which is apparently a bitch to root,

It's really not anymore, there's quite a process to getting root (radio, goldcard) but it's all completely scripted now as of sept or so, one click for you. Look for advanced ace hack kit in the xda inspire 4g - android dev section. CM7 runs so perfect on inspire, and its got just dozens and dozens of things like the longpress of buttons you can customize the poo poo out of.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 8, 2012

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

Mantle posted:

Did you have to download or run any bluetooth helper programs? What OS version are you running? I can get to pair but not connected and it's frustrating the hell out of me since the keyboard works fine pairing with my iPhone, iPad, and windows pc.

I'm on a mostly stock gingerbread. My issue was with the pairing. Once they paired I haven't had an issue.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Bruce Leroy posted:

Juice Defender is available on the Amazon Appstore, not sure if it'd circumvent that or not.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Cakefool posted:

Running FTPServer on one end and AndFTP on the other ought to git 'er done.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Wagonburner posted:

It's really not anymore, there's quite a process to getting root (radio, goldcard) but it's all completely scripted now as of sept or so, one click for you. Look for advanced ace hack kit in the xda inspire 4g - android dev section. CM7 runs so perfect on inspire, and its got just dozens and dozens of things like the longpress of buttons you can customize the poo poo out of.

You are my hero now. Got it rooted, but I need to leave for work now, so I'll install CM7 after. Do I need to do a full wipe on my phone? (Assuming yes, got a wipe rom from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=868720 but figured I would double check).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Installing CM7 will wipe your phone, yes.

Hologram
Nov 2, 2006

:chillpill:

ilkhan posted:

Installing CM7 will wipe your phone, yes.

Not necessarily. You need to wipe your phone before installing CM7 (or any other ROM for that matter) or you will run into a lot of issues.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Will do then :)

edit: Got CM7 installed, definitely need to play around with it a bit, but I like what I see so far.

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 9, 2012

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
How do I change the number of homescreens for ADW EX? I want to have 2 screens instead of 5. I'm looking to switch from LP+ to ADW

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

How do I change the number of homescreens for ADW EX? I want to have 2 screens instead of 5. I'm looking to switch from LP+ to ADW

Desktop: Menu > Edit; + and X as necessary.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Desktop: Menu > Edit; + and X as necessary.

YOU DA MAN!~~ Never would've figured this out.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Llama is really cool but it takes way longer to reenable Mobile Data than Juice Defender. Any reason why?

[Edit: I added a few more cell towers to my work profile (I have it set up to disable/enable Wifi when the screen is off/on) and now it enables much more quickly]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 9, 2012

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Is there any free music player similar to PowerAmp?
(Not Google Music because it's not available in my country and I wouldn't use the 'cloud' library anyway).

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I am a fan of Music Folder Player.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

gmq posted:

(Not Google Music because it's not available in my country and I wouldn't use the 'cloud' library anyway).

Similar in what way? What features are you looking for?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

gmq posted:

PowerAmp has a free version, but honestly, the new version is so goddamn good. It is worth every cent.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Gyshall posted:

PowerAmp has a free version, but honestly, the new version is so goddamn good. It is worth every cent.

What makes it so much better than MIUI Music?

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

Mantle posted:

Did you have to download or run any bluetooth helper programs? What OS version are you running? I can get to pair but not connected and it's frustrating the hell out of me since the keyboard works fine pairing with my iPhone, iPad, and windows pc.
What is your tablet? Some phones/tablets have custom Bluetooth stacks that don't have the standard HID profiles, especially in 2.2.

My old Galaxy 1 was like that, I could pair Bluetooth audio devices but it didn't have any HID profiles so I couldn't pair Wiimotes, keyboards, etc. The only way around it, IIRC, was to flash CM7. Newer versions of Android have the HID profiles built in so I don't think this is a problem 3.0+ (and maybe even 2.3+ but it's been forever since I've had to mess with it). 2.2 is almost certainly out of luck if it wasn't provided by your manufacturer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is there a thread for woofi? If not, is there a way for it to not disconnect wifi if it is currently connected but not in the correct area? My GPS likes to say I'm at the opposite part of base (about 2 km away) even though I'm not. I'd rather not set my radius to three kilometers. It would be nice if when it saw I was at home and connected to wifi, it didn't disconnect later when it thinks I'm 3km away. If I'm away and I'm not on wifi, sure turn wifi off, but if I'm actively connected to it.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Is there a thread for woofi? If not, is there a way for it to not disconnect wifi if it is currently connected but not in the correct area? My GPS likes to say I'm at the opposite part of base (about 2 km away) even though I'm not. I'd rather not set my radius to three kilometers. It would be nice if when it saw I was at home and connected to wifi, it didn't disconnect later when it thinks I'm 3km away. If I'm away and I'm not on wifi, sure turn wifi off, but if I'm actively connected to it.

I have the same issue, and I just disable woofi. But I think the correct answer is to get the paid version and set up multiple locations.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

landis posted:

What is your tablet? Some phones/tablets have custom Bluetooth stacks that don't have the standard HID profiles, especially in 2.2.

My old Galaxy 1 was like that, I could pair Bluetooth audio devices but it didn't have any HID profiles so I couldn't pair Wiimotes, keyboards, etc. The only way around it, IIRC, was to flash CM7. Newer versions of Android have the HID profiles built in so I don't think this is a problem 3.0+ (and maybe even 2.3+ but it's been forever since I've had to mess with it). 2.2 is almost certainly out of luck if it wasn't provided by your manufacturer.

It's a Le Pan TC 970. The hardware is good but software support is lacking. I have until the end of the month to decide whether to roll the dice on cm7 support eventually coming or to return the tablet to Amazon.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Cojawfee posted:

If woofi is disconnecting you from WiFi there is some sort of regression. If you're connected to an access point it should not disconnect you.

I'll check it out later this evening and see if I can do a quick update if there's a bug...

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mantle posted:

It's a Le Pan TC 970. ... I have until the end of the month to decide whether to roll the dice on cm7 support eventually coming or to return the tablet to Amazon.
Oh dear, if you have any option, whatsoever to return that tablet for even a nominal restocking fee do it.

It's yet another cheap-rear end Chinese tablet running Froyo from a manufacturer who, knowingly-or-not, is violating Linux/Android license terms by not releasing the source code.

So you're never going to see a useful, official update, and it's never going to get CM7 support. Aside from the "no source code" problem, CM7 support just doesn't happen but requires a device to be popular enough to attract sufficient developer interest.

Personally I wouldn't purchase a tablet these days that either doesn't come with ICS or for which an ICS upgrade is "going to happen really soon" (which probably means it ships with Honeycomb 3.2). But if you're looking for a moderately similarly spec'd tablet that's well supported by CM7, go for the Nook Color or something.

Edit: It's knowingly.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 9, 2012

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
Does anyone know of any app that's close or equivalent to tonepad for ios? Prefferably something that works on the kindle fire.

martinlutherbling fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 10, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

martinlutherbling posted:

Does anyone know of any app that's close or equivalent to Touchpad for ios? Prefferably something that works on the kindle fire.
Well there's always Touchpad, the exact same app by the exact same developer.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Holy poo poo CM7 is so awesome! :swoon:

Content: what features in Tasker require root? Aka what new goodies do I now have at my disposal?

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010

LastInLine posted:

Well there's always Touchpad, the exact same app by the exact same developer.

Woops, I meant tonepad. Sorry

• Locked thread