Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Junkenstein posted:

So netflix was released in the UK today. It looks..... pretty poo poo at the moment.

It does seem rather non-existent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morose Man
Jul 8, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Seriously. It has been so long :(.

Remember when Graham Linehan was serious about the IT Crowd and when Black Books waa going strong? good times.

At least 4oD has all the good stuff archived on it.

Any recommendations?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Morose Man posted:

Any recommendations?

Father Ted.
Spaced.
Drop The Dead Donkey.
Black Books.
Chelmsford 123.
Adam And Joe Show.
Most of The Comic Strip.
Green Wing.
Inbetweeners.
Nathan Barley.
Peepshow.
The Estate Agents.
The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret.
The IT Crowd.
Brass Eye.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

ConanThe3rd posted:

It does seem rather non-existent.

If I didn't have stuff to do, I'd be tempted to see if I could watch everything I'm interested in within my free month.
They're intending to draw subscribers in by demonstrating the breadth of content they have. When that content is a bunch of old, poo poo films and series of TV programmes from 3-4 years ago, it just looks laughable.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

kingturnip posted:

If I didn't have stuff to do, I'd be tempted to see if I could watch everything I'm interested in within my free month.
They're intending to draw subscribers in by demonstrating the breadth of content they have. When that content is a bunch of old, poo poo films and series of TV programmes from 3-4 years ago, it just looks laughable.

Yeah after a quick look through it doesn't seem any better than Lovefilm's streaming selection. But if the streaming quality is better than Lovefilm is I might be tempted. Anyone got any idea if it is HD, or is it Lovefilm/4od type sub-DVD quality?

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
I watched a few minutes on a couple of films, initially on the logos the quality is about Lovefilm level but once in the film it was noticeably better though it doesn't look HD. Put it this way, I couldn't watch anything on Lovefilm through the PS3 but Netflix is fine. No drops during playback and the sound quality was also very good.

Content is a bit low right now but it will increase and I like have the streaming only service, though no idea right now if I'll keep it past the free month.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Also, a not to watch it is loving horrible guide for 4oD comedy:

Captain Butler.
Bo Selecta.
Crapston Villas.
Modern Toss.
Los Dos Bros.
Big Bang Theory.
The Morgana Show.
The Angelos Neil Epithemiou Show.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

SeanBeansShako posted:

Modern Toss could be great sometimes.

Bo Selecta is both one of the best and one of the best programmes concurrently at the same time, it's weird.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Eh, I just don't like it.

But Bo Selecta is weird, how it started out as a satircal poke at celebrity worship then became what it started out to hate.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Another 4oD recommendation: Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

And Man To Man With Dean too.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also, a not to watch it is loving horrible guide for 4oD comedy:

Captain Butler.
Bo Selecta.
Crapston Villas.
Modern Toss.
Los Dos Bros.
Big Bang Theory.
The Morgana Show.
The Angelos Neil Epithemiou Show.

I sort of enjoyed Crapstone Villas, and I really don't know why because it was pretty horrid.

There is actually a real place called Crapstone in Devon. Something for the fact fans there.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I sort of watched it ironically too, morbidly curious to see how bad it could get.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Pablo Bluth posted:

I can't watch Darkplace without the in-character DVD commentary any more; I keep hearing Richard Ayoade getting huffy at a semi-drunken Matt Berry and by then I'm in tears.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Why does live football look pretty poo poo in HD? Is it because they can't beam it all about at a decent bitrate or something? It's really annoying.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
All 199 episodes of Time Team.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I like watching all the old 'Whose Line is it Anyway' episodes on 4OD but I think it's more nostalgia value.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Did this thread discuss Black Mirror? Or was there an independent thread about it?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Just this thread I think. Reactions were positive to muted.

Testro
May 2, 2009
Modern Toss was worth it just for Mr Tourette, master signwriter. The Alpine Retreat skit never fails to crack me up.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

kingturnip posted:

There only seems to be ~350 titles, so if you had absolutely nothing to do you could probably watch everything in your free month, interested in it or not.

I wouldn't wish that upon anyone though, given some of the poo poo they have up there.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Various lines from the drive by abuser have entered my everyday parlance.

What sort of stuff is on Netflix instant? I work from home and am always in need of background noise. Also do you have to give your card details to even get the free month?

EDIT: also, is there any way to ACTUALLY browse their selection without signing up? I can see like one page of titles for each genre, but I can't find any way of scrolling to see more

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 10, 2012

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

So HIGNFY, 8 out of 10 Cats, Mock the Week, QI, Would I Lie to You are all on hiatus it appears. Can anyone recommend a newsy/quizy/comedy panely show that's airing now? I feel like there's an obvious one I'm forgetting about. Thanks!

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Fatkraken posted:

EDIT: also, is there any way to ACTUALLY browse their selection without signing up? I can see like one page of titles for each genre, but I can't find any way of scrolling to see more

I think that's it? :\

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Countdown has just started up with Nick Hewer hosting, watch that. And if you just want to numb your mind with people sort of answering questions a bit then watch Pointless.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

sebzilla posted:

Countdown has just started up with Nick Hewer hosting, watch that. And if you just want to numb your mind with people sort of answering questions a bit then watch Pointless.
I like Pointless, it always seems to be on during that period of the day when I have nothing to do and don't mind sitting in front of a quiz show. It's a nice, tidy little format that's a little bit more complex than straight Q&A but simple enough to get into straight away and be able to discuss with the others in the room.

Morose Man
Jul 8, 2011
Thanks for the recommendations. I watched Southlands tonight on 4oD which was enjoyable and Desperate Housewives which wasn't. I also watched New Girl for a bit before I'd had enough of it. It was like an unfunny Friends. New Girl came back to haunt me for the rest of the evening with the same bloody ad every ad break on 4oD. I'd like to do something homicidal with her loving pillow.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Fatkraken posted:

Mousing over the far right :godwin: item cycles through the rest, where 'the rest' is an option.
Personally, having all 8 seasons of 24 is handy, since my sister left home and took the DVDs with her.

And yes, the video quality is generally very good. My broadband connection is patchy as gently caress, but the streaming seems to vary the quality depending on whatever bitrate it's able to use at any given time. It's a bit distracting at times - going from DVD quality to LoveFilm-streaming-quality - but I've only occasionally had pauses for buffering.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Morose Man posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. I watched Southlands tonight on 4oD which was enjoyable and Desperate Housewives which wasn't. I also watched New Girl for a bit before I'd had enough of it. It was like an unfunny Friends. New Girl came back to haunt me for the rest of the evening with the same bloody ad every ad break on 4oD. I'd like to do something homicidal with her loving pillow.
Try and watch the rest of Southland, it's quite excellent throughout. New series starts this month too (In America, at least).

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
Since we're going through the ol' recommendation phase, can any one recommend me some audio comedy to listen to at work? My PC shat itself the other week so I'm down to bare bones.

I've listened to (multiple times) and absolutely loved - Gervais/XFM stuff, Iannucci stuff, Collings & Herrin, Peacock & Gamble, Bugle, Milton Jones stuff, So Right It's Wrong, Mitchell & Webb, Boosh.. I'm sure there's other stuff I've forgotten.

Anything along those lines would be greatly appreciated :)

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Bloodbath posted:

Since we're going through the ol' recommendation phase, can any one recommend me some audio comedy to listen to at work? My PC shat itself the other week so I'm down to bare bones.

I've listened to (multiple times) and absolutely loved - Gervais/XFM stuff, Iannucci stuff, Collings & Herrin, Peacock & Gamble, Bugle, Milton Jones stuff, So Right It's Wrong, Mitchell & Webb, Boosh.. I'm sure there's other stuff I've forgotten.

Anything along those lines would be greatly appreciated :)

I liked bigipedia. Think there's a couple of clips of it on YouTube so you can see if it's your sort of thing. It's like a cross between Time Trumpet and Wikipedia.

Also Adam & Joe offer consistently funny banter on their shows.

ThatTaffer
Apr 14, 2005
I really enjoy The Complete Guide to Everything podcast. You can pretty much dip in anywhere to the back-catalog and find something funny.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Hoops posted:

I like Pointless, it always seems to be on during that period of the day when I have nothing to do and don't mind sitting in front of a quiz show. It's a nice, tidy little format that's a little bit more complex than straight Q&A but simple enough to get into straight away and be able to discuss with the others in the room.

MY GIRLFRIEND and I both love Pointless, to the extent that we actually went for an audition to get on it.

They did not call us back.

Given some of the freaks and morons perfectly ordinary people that turn up on it almost every day, this is a little disheartening.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

kingturnip posted:

Mousing over the far right :godwin: item cycles through the rest, where 'the rest' is an option.
Personally, having all 8 seasons of 24 is handy, since my sister left home and took the DVDs with her.

This isn't working for me. All I can see in the TV section is one page full of Power Rangers and Dirty Sanchez.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Smeep posted:

So HIGNFY, 8 out of 10 Cats, Mock the Week, QI, Would I Lie to You are all on hiatus it appears. Can anyone recommend a newsy/quizy/comedy panely show that's airing now? I feel like there's an obvious one I'm forgetting about. Thanks!

Bloodbath posted:

The News Quiz?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Junkenstein posted:

This isn't working for me. All I can see in the TV section is one page full of Power Rangers and Dirty Sanchez.

Same here. I know there's more because on the front page there's loads of good stuff under TV, like Breaking Bad and shite, but I can't find how to actually select it.

I'm on chrome.

EDIT: I contacted them. You can only see the actual selection AFTER you sign up (and give them your credit card number). So essentially you have to sign up to see if you want to sign up. Yeah it's free for the first month, but that's still pretty shoddy service, especially since there's nothing to indicate this is the case. They've said they'll try to fix that and put up a message saying "this is not the full selection, to ACTUALLY browse what is available you need to use our free trial".

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jan 10, 2012

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

reality_groove posted:

The News Quiz?

The Unbelievable Truth is on too, but I'm not sure if it's repeats.

Kraxis
May 14, 2007
Only ConnectChat: My god The Crossworders are absolutely insane at that game.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Fatkraken posted:

Same here. I know there's more because on the front page there's loads of good stuff under TV, like Breaking Bad and shite, but I can't find how to actually select it.

I'm on chrome.

EDIT: I contacted them. You can only see the actual selection AFTER you sign up (and give them your credit card number). So essentially you have to sign up to see if you want to sign up. Yeah it's free for the first month, but that's still pretty shoddy service, especially since there's nothing to indicate this is the case. They've said they'll try to fix that and put up a message saying "this is not the full selection, to ACTUALLY browse what is available you need to use our free trial".

What an odd thing to do. I'd basically written it off for now after seeing that selection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Junkenstein posted:

What an odd thing to do. I'd basically written it off for now after seeing that selection.

yeah, the actual selection isn't amazing, but it's way better than what comes up on the signup page. They have Breaking Bad (seasons 1-3), Californication, 24, Last Airbender, Twin Peaks and more. It's in no way exhaustive (there's probably only a few hundred films and a few dozen TV shows) but it's a good start and definitely worth the no pounds the first month costs, and hopefully stuff will be added as it gets more popular.

After you sign up the site looks completely different, different design and layout, the front page is only a honeypot ad I guess.