Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Evans
Aug 2, 2007

Tobias, have you been flogging Simpsons prop replicas on the internet again?
Amateur confectioner in need of help. My fudge keeps turning out butter-soft, more like gooey chocolate fondant than the firm result i'm aiming for. Recipe as follows:

3 cups sugar
pinch salt
1/2 cup cocoa
i cup milk
2tbsp liquid glucose
45g butter
1tsp vanilla.

Combine sugar, salt, cocoa, milk and glucose over low heat until dissolved. Boil rapidly to 112*c (235*f), remove from heat, add butter and cool to exactly 44*c (110*f). Add vanilla. Beat until fudge loses its gloss and changes colour. Immediately pour into greased and lined 20cm sandwich tin.

I stir it while it's on the boil, is that where i'm screwing up? Some google results imply yes, others say no. I'm using an accurate confectioners thermometer, but obviously i'm handling my sugar wrong at some point and it's not hardening up. Goons, help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

CzarChasm posted:

Well, saute for starters. :)

Real Answer? A hell of a lot. But you have basically said "I have an oven. What foodstuffs fit in an oven?" The item in question is a versatile tool, is what I'm saying. There are a lot of possibilites.

Point noted. I guess what I was just trying to get at was more a general understanding of when you might use a saute pan vs., say, a frying pan. In looking up recipies there seems to be a lot of overlap in terminology; I'd like to understand what the reasoning is behind using a particular method.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Cyril Sneer posted:

Point noted. I guess what I was just trying to get at was more a general understanding of when you might use a saute pan vs., say, a frying pan. In looking up recipies there seems to be a lot of overlap in terminology; I'd like to understand what the reasoning is behind using a particular method.

There's no difference, really. Saute pans and frying pans are both used for the exact same thing. The name difference is just to tell you whether you're getting sides that go straight up (saute pan) or sides that slope outwards (frying pan). Straight up edges mean that you'll get more flat cooking surface on a saute pan than on a frying pan with the same diameter, but since you can always just buy a bigger frying pan that's not really a big deal. Paradoxically it can be easier to legitimately fry stuff in a saute pan because the sides are often higher and you can therefore have deeper frying oil.

The short answer, though, is that a frying pan by any other name will still cook as sweet.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

CuddleChunks posted:

After a quick glance at a bunch of ground beef goulash recipes online, your Mom wasn't too far off if she threw in some ground beef to the mix.

Kiteless would run you through with a grapefruit spoon if she read that. Your recipe, while probably goulash to someone, isn't very close to either Hungarian goulash (about which I can't speak with much authority) or any of the versions of the dish served in every country in central Europe (about which I can).

All varieties of goulash save the American macaroni form share one thing in common: paprika as the primary spice. Quality is important with this paprika, don't use mom's decades-old bottle she takes out to shake a bit onto deviled eggs twice per year. Don't use Spanish paprika, whether smoked or not; it's not as good. You want Hungarian paprika - preferably both hot (lighter in color and noticeably spicy) and sweet (darker in color, richer in flavor without the heat).

Austrian goulash is typically made with beef. Aromatics are limited to onion, an equal amount by weight as the meat.

Czech goulash (guláš) has a lot of variations, but is mostly notable for its wider variety of aromatics. Celeriac (celery root) is almost always used, as well as some rutabaga and/or parsnip. In addition to paprika, marjoram, small amounts of caraway, and occasionally some allspice are used for seasoning. Adding tomatoes makes it "gypsy goulash," something I read about in a cookbook but have never seen prepared by a Czech cook. Beef is considered the finest goulash, partly because it's so goddamn expensive in Europe, but I've had pork, venison, and wild boar goulash as well.

Czech goulash is thickened by hours of simmering rather than flour or roux - I've seen twelve or more hours of full, rolling boil in some kitchens. There's also goulash soup (gulášova polévka), which is a quicker version with a more brothy sauce. Austrian versions tend to be less thick than their Czech counterparts, and depending on the recipe may see a bit of flour added as well.

Generalized technique, mostly cribbed from Czech cooks but roughly applicable to Austrian and probably other varieties as well:
- Add fat and meat (big, chunky pieces of stewing meat, maybe a few bones too if you have them) to a hot pan and sear until quite dark brown.
- Remove meat, sweat aromatics.
- Add more fat to the aromatics, then sprinkle on paprika. This is an important step, because paprika needs to be "bloomed" in oil for proper color and flavor. You don't want to burn the spice, but it needs some time with heat and oil to throw off a truly brilliant red color.
- If you're one to cook with beer or wine, add it now. (Both Austrians and Czechs produce excellent dry, minerally white wines that go well both in and with goulash.)
- Return meat to pot, add water to more than cover. Bring to boil and keep going for a long loving time. (If you want to just make some roux and thicken it as soon as the meat is tender, I won't be offended. I do it too sometimes. Just start with only enough water to cover.)
- Add other spices ~30 minutes before serving time.

Czechs serve goulash with knedlíky, a steamed bread dumpling (decent recipe here) and good rye bread. Austrians serve with dumplings and a fried egg, which seems a very good idea indeed to me.

All of this sperging aside, goulash is, like most great foods of the world, at heart a peasant dish. Don't overthink it. Make it how it sounds good and call it your own. Just don't make it with ground beef. ;)

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
how much do you start/end with if you keep it at a rolling boil for 12 full hours? and how is not not burned all to poo poo?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

bartolimu posted:

Goulash School

Thanks for the info. I've updated the post.

CuddleChunks fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 10, 2012

Eden
Jul 1, 2007
One hella classy dinosaur
I got a really good deal on some cast-iron cookware which finally arrived today after almost 2 months and I'm super excited to use it - however I have a couple of questions.

Everything I've heard/read about it is that it's great for using over a super high heat, however the paperwork that came with it said not to do this and to only use it on low-med. It's enamelled on the bottom (but not the cooking surface), is this why? Should I heed or ignore this advice? I was really looking forward to making some awesome steaks in it.

Further to that, are there any downsides to cast-iron that's enamelled on the bottom (realising I should have looked into this earlier but didn't even think about it)? Googling only tends to bring up results on bare cast iron vs fully enamelled, which this isn't, so I'd be really interested in people's opinions.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Eden posted:

Everything I've heard/read about it is that it's great for using over a super high heat, however the paperwork that came with it said not to do this and to only use it on low-med. It's enamelled on the bottom (but not the cooking surface), is this why? Should I heed or ignore this advice? I was really looking forward to making some awesome steaks in it.
Yes, that is why. People here have complained about their enamel bubbling up and flaking off, and it's probably because of high heat. High heat is for regular cast iron.

quote:

Further to that, are there any downsides to cast-iron that's enamelled on the bottom (realising I should have looked into this earlier but didn't even think about it)? Googling only tends to bring up results on bare cast iron vs fully enamelled, which this isn't, so I'd be really interested in people's opinions.

It gets scratched if you move it around alot on a stove, so don't move it if you don't have to.

The Azn Sensation
Mar 9, 2009
Hey GWS, I read somewhere that there was an online spice store that not only was awesome but also had a physical catalogue and they sent out awesome coupons a few times a year, sometimes even free! Can you help a college loan trodden goon out and hook me up with that sweet sweet info?

If not, what is your favorite spice store? Do they offer samples, sexy prices or a free hand job with every purchase? I like to try to stay loyal to a particular company if I can, hence my questions to the power of crowd sourcing.

Thanks!

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Get a zojirushi.

I got one! I also looked at the Versachef, but they don't sell them on Amazon :[

I got this and this. I didn't just make two terrible decisions did I?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Not Evans posted:

Amateur confectioner in need of help. My fudge keeps turning out butter-soft, more like gooey chocolate fondant than the firm result i'm aiming for. Recipe as follows:

3 cups sugar
pinch salt
1/2 cup cocoa
i cup milk
2tbsp liquid glucose
45g butter
1tsp vanilla.

Combine sugar, salt, cocoa, milk and glucose over low heat until dissolved. Boil rapidly to 112*c (235*f), remove from heat, add butter and cool to exactly 44*c (110*f). Add vanilla. Beat until fudge loses its gloss and changes colour. Immediately pour into greased and lined 20cm sandwich tin.

I stir it while it's on the boil, is that where i'm screwing up? Some google results imply yes, others say no. I'm using an accurate confectioners thermometer, but obviously i'm handling my sugar wrong at some point and it's not hardening up. Goons, help!

pH is extremely important to fudge, particularly with respect to the crystal formation. Most recipes I see for fudge involve baking soda to regulate the pH. Try experimenting with baking soda, or grab another recipe.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

bartolimu posted:

All of this sperging aside, goulash is, like most great foods of the world, at heart a peasant dish. Don't overthink it. Make it how it sounds good and call it your own. Just don't make it with ground beef. ;)

I heartily enjoyed all of the goulash sperg :). If I can get ahold of some non-ground meat (I try to hunt all of my own meat and I don't have any thing but burger at the moment) I'll make it!

Perhaps raccoon goulash is in order.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

That would be pretty authentically peasant-y, I guess.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The Azn Sensation posted:

Hey GWS, I read somewhere that there was an online spice store that not only was awesome but also had a physical catalogue and they sent out awesome coupons a few times a year, sometimes even free! Can you help a college loan trodden goon out and hook me up with that sweet sweet info?

If not, what is your favorite spice store? Do they offer samples, sexy prices or a free hand job with every purchase? I like to try to stay loyal to a particular company if I can, hence my questions to the power of crowd sourcing.

Thanks!

http://www.penzeys.com/
Not sure about coupons but I know they have physical stores around where they hand out samples.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones

bartolimu posted:

Kiteless would run you through with a grapefruit spoon if she read that.

I did read it, I just had to huff into a paper bag for a while afterwards and take a walk around the block. Thanks for doing the sperging for me.

I've been thinking of purchasing an electric rice cooker/Zojirishi, but I already have so many kitchen contraptions and big pots that I'm not sure I even have space for it, and I have no problems making good rice in a pot. Is really worthwhile? Does anybody in here even make rice on the stovetop any more?

Edit: I just took count of all my kitchen electronics. Large crockpot, tiny crockpot warmer, large food processor, small food processor, hand blender, countertop toaster/convection oven, Sous Vide demi, Kitchenaid stand mixer, hand mixer, electric spice grinder, electric burr grinder, electric coffee bean roaster, food saver, electric griddle, panini maker, waffle iron, and those are just the electronics not counting big things like roasters, woks, or canning size stock pots, lord help me I'm not kidding when I say I don't have room.

kiteless fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 10, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kiteless posted:

I did read it, I just had to huff into a paper bag for a while afterwards and take a walk around the block. Thanks for doing the sperging for me.

I've been thinking of purchasing an electric rice cooker/Zojirishi, but I already have so many kitchen contraptions and big pots that I'm not sure I even have space for it, and I have no problems making good rice in a pot. Is really worthwhile? Does anybody in here even make rice on the stovetop any more?

I don't have a fancy Zojirushi, but I do have a decent one with a delay timer. Aside from being able to mindlessly make rice, I can set it in the morning so that when I get home from work, the rice is already cooking and I can get to work on a quick stir fry, and have dinner on the table within 20 minutes of getting home.

For me, it's probably not worth it to have a fancy expensive rice cooker, but the one I have is probably the best $30 I've spent for the kitchen.

Eden
Jul 1, 2007
One hella classy dinosaur

Steve Yun posted:

Yes, that is why. People here have complained about their enamel bubbling up and flaking off, and it's probably because of high heat. High heat is for regular cast iron.

It gets scratched if you move it around alot on a stove, so don't move it if you don't have to.

Thanks for the quick reply, getting my boyfriend to get us a bigger, bare skillet off amazon asap :v: (cause we live in Australia and screw paying exhorbitant store prices)

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Penzey's is the normal spice store most of GWS uses. I tend to use americanspice.com more, because I find their prices are sometimes a bit better and they've got some other things (like black walnut oil) that Penzey's doesn't necessarily carry. They don't send out a physical catalog, though.

pile of brown posted:

how much do you start/end with if you keep it at a rolling boil for 12 full hours? and how is not not burned all to poo poo?
Well there's no real point in making a small batch of goulash. The last time I saw someone making it in the Czech Republic he used a 32-liter enamel pot that was wider than it was tall and put it on top of all four burners for maximum rolling-boilage. He added water when necessary to keep it from drying out completely. There was a bit of scorching in the bottom of the pan, but it was pretty minimal given how long it had been on the stove.

razz posted:

I heartily enjoyed all of the goulash sperg :). If I can get ahold of some non-ground meat (I try to hunt all of my own meat and I don't have any thing but burger at the moment) I'll make it!

Perhaps raccoon goulash is in order.
The guy who made the above goulash is something of a local legend for both his culinary prowess and his capacity for booze. One night, he was driving back from a neighboring town with some students and fell asleep at the wheel. He woke up when he hit a roe deer, and, not terribly bothered by the whole falling asleep thing, threw the deer into the back seat (with the students) and brought it home. The next day they had roe deer goulash for lunch. Game meat works great in goulash generally, though I've never tasted raccoon.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

kiteless posted:

Edit: I just took count of all my kitchen electronics. Large crockpot, tiny crockpot warmer, large food processor, small food processor, hand blender, countertop toaster/convection oven, Sous Vide demi, Kitchenaid stand mixer, hand mixer, electric spice grinder, electric burr grinder, electric coffee bean roaster, food saver, electric griddle, panini maker, waffle iron, and those are just the electronics not counting big things like roasters, woks, or canning size stock pots, lord help me I'm not kidding when I say I don't have room.

Rice cookers can be fairly cheap and small, but frankly, if you're good at making rice in a pot, completely unnecessary. Like FGR said, there's some convenience issues it can solve, but again, that's something you have to think about in the context of your own particular situation.

Also, stovetop rice is the best rice. Especially when you scoop out most of the cooked rice, leave a layer of rice on the bottom of the pot, and put it on a very low flame until it's brown and crispy. Ghetto socarrat, if you will. It comes out in one large piece if you do it right, then you can break it up and boil it with water for a nuttier congee (juk, rice porridge, whatever you want to call it). Very old school Korean food extending recipe, since the rice cracker, as it were, keeps for a long time. Goes great with kimchee.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

bartolimu posted:

Well there's no real point in making a small batch of goulash. The last time I saw someone making it in the Czech Republic he used a 32-liter enamel pot that was wider than it was tall and put it on top of all four burners for maximum rolling-boilage. He added water when necessary to keep it from drying out completely. There was a bit of scorching in the bottom of the pan, but it was pretty minimal given how long it had been on the stove.

The guy who made the above goulash is something of a local legend for both his culinary prowess and his capacity for booze. One night, he was driving back from a neighboring town with some students and fell asleep at the wheel. He woke up when he hit a roe deer, and, not terribly bothered by the whole falling asleep thing, threw the deer into the back seat (with the students) and brought it home. The next day they had roe deer goulash for lunch. Game meat works great in goulash generally, though I've never tasted raccoon.

Hahah Jesus Christ this whole post is amazing.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

kiteless posted:

While I appreciate the convenience, the only time I regularly used a rice cooker was when I lived in the dorms. Its just as easy for me to bang out a pot of rice while I'm already standing there cooking. Once you learn the techniques needed for different styles of rice it's nothing complicated. I suppose if you were the type to make a giant pot of rice and eat it for days it would be good, but that never really appealed to me.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I like my rice cooker because I'll make rice on Sunday while I'm out shopping, portion it out into containers for the week, and not have to worry about it again. Obviously I could do the same by cooking rice on the stove, but brown rice has a long enough cooking time that the rice cooker makes it significantly easier. Plus I can set it and leave the house without worrying about being delayed and overcooking the rice or whatever.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Rice cookers are also great for freeing up a burner on the stove. Also having an auto-warm feature is really great for just fixing and forgetting about the rice while you work on a bunch of other dishes that take more attention - start cooking by starting the rice, and then you don't have to worry about it until you're ready to serve. The nice thing about the Zojirushis is that they can keep the rice perfectly servable for so long. Also, having settings for congee and brown rice and all those other neat things is pretty cool.

That said I don't have a rice cooker right now because I broke my last one (it wasn't a Zojirushi).

Cute as heck posted:

I got one! I also looked at the Versachef, but they don't sell them on Amazon :[

I got this and this. I didn't just make two terrible decisions did I?

You did very well!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Rice cookers are also great for freeing up a burner on the stove.
Puddle machines are good for this too! Get a puddle machine Wiggles.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Puddle machines are good for this too! Get a puddle machine Wiggles.

Right after I get the commercial Fry-O-Later and make room for the Hobart.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.

Thumposaurus posted:

http://www.penzeys.com/
Not sure about coupons but I know they have physical stores around where they hand out samples.

Sometimes they will have coupons in the physical catalog. It will often be for a free small jar of something with an order. The catalog has some nice recipes in it too.

One of my housemates has a rice cooker and I love it to bits.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

bartolimu posted:

Haha, that's amazing. I draw the line at roadkill, though. I've skinned and gutted roadkilled animals and often it's...not pretty. Liquified organs and bone shards everywhere.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Why am I not finding jack googling for "puddle machine"? What are you talking about here?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Splizwarf posted:

Why am I not finding jack googling for "puddle machine"? What are you talking about here?

Tepid puddle machine = sous vide.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
aka sous vizzle

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
That and sushi are the two things in the food world I will never be comfortable with. And Virginia hams I can only handle because I've eaten it enough times. :shobon:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why does sous vide make you uncomfortable?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I was raised in a food service tradition that was probably on the hot side (probably because some of the employees couldn't be arsed to take precise measureements). I'm learning real non-industrial cooking, these past few years, but doing my roast beef to only 140 still makes me squirm a little.

e: \/\/\/ yeah, I was taught hotter food-safe/done cooking temps than the norm in what I assume was an effort to compensate for slack-jawed employees. Like 165F minimum for beef, which makes for grey all the way. :(

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 10, 2012

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Splizwarf posted:

I was raised in a food service tradition that was probably on the hot side (probably because some of the employees couldn't be arsed to take precise measureements). I'm learning real non-industrial cooking, these past few years, but doing my roast beef to only 140 still makes me squirm a little.

The only thing that really confuses me about your comment is "the hot side". Oh wait, I just got it now, you tend to make food "hotter" than you usually would, am I right?

If so, I can understand your aversion to puddle machines. You should read up on the microbiology of sous vide; it's very safe if you follow the guidelines.

Sushi, on the other hand, I can't help you with. Except to say that it's loving delicious, and I trust myself to identify crappy/unsafe sushi joints. (Protip: if the sushi comes out from the back, be afraid. Be very afraid.)

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

kiteless posted:

:saddowns: I no speak good cook talk.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

canoshiz posted:

Gordon Ramsay's UK shows are all fantastic. Look up Gordan Great Escape and The F Word. The former is more about travelling and cooking and eating various regional cuisines, while the latter is more of a food magazine in TV show format.

Really liking Great Escape so far, thanks for the tip! Still unsure about the F Word, a bit too family-ish for me. Will watch another show.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

midnightclimax posted:

Really liking Great Escape so far, thanks for the tip! Still unsure about the F Word, a bit too family-ish for me. Will watch another show.

Watch the episode where James May destroys Gordon in manly eating and making a fish pie.

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head
I can't find a more appropriate thread so I'm asking here:

In late February/March I'm coming from England to L.A. for a stag-do and then on to Memphis (ish) for a wedding. I'm also broke. Where/what should I eat that's cheap and not too poo poo? I'll also be cooking a bit in L.A. I think, so what's good at that time of year in California? Also finally, but most importantly, where is the best beer?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Myopic posted:

where is the best beer?

Bring it with you from England. :colbert:

Seriously, though, you might enjoy beers from Ommegang, Victory, Bell's or Founder's, if you can find them. Also, Woodchuck hard cider is quite different from UK ciders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Myopic posted:

I can't find a more appropriate thread so I'm asking here:

In late February/March I'm coming from England to L.A. for a stag-do and then on to Memphis (ish) for a wedding. I'm also broke. Where/what should I eat that's cheap and not too poo poo? I'll also be cooking a bit in L.A. I think, so what's good at that time of year in California? Also finally, but most importantly, where is the best beer?

Find taquerias for delicious and cheap food. As for what's seasonal - it's California. Nearly everything is seasonal to some extant. Early spring probably won't be the best time for apples, but any leafy green or garden vegetable you can imagine will be found easily. Tomatoes might be a bit iffy, also, but not impossible to find.

Drink Lucky Lager if you want the authentic LA experience.