Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Luckyellow posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbpvePUWG0M

This is the exact reason why I hate this comic so much. I have a younger brother who got in this and right now, I have no idea how to break him out of his obsession.

You took my brother away from me Hussie, and for that, I shall always curse your name now and forever.

They didn't even have anyone dress up as the Imperial Drone? :colbert: amateurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah poo poo like that is why I don't tell anyone about Homestuck, because they'll google it and something like that will be the first thing they see.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Doc Uzuki posted:

Yeah poo poo like that is why I don't tell anyone about Homestuck, because they'll google it and something like that will be the first thing they see.

Relax; page 1 of the Google search is quite tame, if perhaps perplexing to a first-time viewer.

The first page of the GIS search, on the other hand... :gonk:

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Rasamune posted:

Ahahahahahahahahahaha.

Everyone do this.

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y

jonjonaug posted:

Ahahahahahahahahahaha.

Everyone do this.

No.

Never again.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rasamune posted:

Relax; page 1 of the Google search is quite tame, if perhaps perplexing to a first-time viewer.

The first one is the perfect prelude to everything that follows. WH4T NOW indeed.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Because GIS results won't always be what they are now...

half of the first line is fetish stuff :negative:

VWVWV
Jan 19, 2010

"Yeah, my dad makes me eat a lot of cake." :suicide:

See, this is why I've told all of the people I've roped into this comic that the fanbase is completely horrible ahead of time.

Some Lined Paper
Sep 2, 2011

JOHN: wait a minute!
JOHN: i forgot, trolls hate cleaning products for some alien reason! shit, that's going to make everyone so uncomfortable.

Pakled posted:

The best part is that the rest of the GIS results are pretty tame. Some lovely fanart here and there, but nothing like... that.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
As much as people slag on the trolls and as much as Hivebent jarred some people out of the story, the trolls are fandom Miracle-Gro. It's diabolical. The trolls all have Zodiac symbols, and... gosh, I have a Zodiac sign too! THIS TROLL IT WAS MEANT FOR ME, DRR DRRRR DDDDRRRR. And there's a dozen of the fuckers so you're guaranteed to resonate with at least one of their broad archetypes. Then you've got teens on their Tumblrs and their Glees or whatever, looking for some kind of role model or appropriate fandom in which to belong.

What you get is a perpetual motion machine of fanart, electronic music and roleplaying Tumblrs where you ask John-and-Karkat-in-a-relationship questions.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Snollygoster posted:

As much as people slag on the trolls and as much as Hivebent jarred some people out of the story, the trolls are fandom Miracle-Gro. It's diabolical. The trolls all have Zodiac symbols, and... gosh, I have a Zodiac sign too! THIS TROLL IT WAS MEANT FOR ME, DRR DRRRR DDDDRRRR. And there's a dozen of the fuckers so you're guaranteed to resonate with at least one of their broad archetypes. Then you've got teens on their Tumblrs and their Glees or whatever, looking for some kind of role model or appropriate fandom in which to belong.

What you get is a perpetual motion machine of fanart, electronic music and roleplaying Tumblrs where you ask John-and-Karkat-in-a-relationship questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycKj4zae6_Q

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I've noticed the same thing, the fanbase just violently exploded in June 2010. I'm still not sure why, but it's probably along the same lines of why a lot of the popular animes have huge casts of "unique" characters that can be characterized in a single sentence. There's always someone who can relate to Princess Pinku-chan.

e: I'm sad the GIS doesn't have that picture of the security guard walking past a group of cosplayers with a look on his face like he's scared for his life. That's my favorite HS-related image.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Doc Uzuki posted:

I've noticed the same thing, the fanbase just violently exploded in June 2010. I'm still not sure why, but it's probably along the same lines of why a lot of the popular animes have huge casts of "unique" characters that can be characterized in a single sentence. There's always someone who can relate to Princess Pinku-chan.

Fans always latch on to minor characters. In theory you'd think it's because they're essentially blank slates for fans to project whatever the gently caress they want on to, but lord knows they've never let anything stop them from just projecting on to fully fleshed out main characters (ASK TRANSGENDER JOHN & FURRY KARKAT!!!)

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Pakled posted:

Man, that shipping chart is completely inaccurate too... Karkat would be so angry.

edit: So... fairly sure Sassacre's just killed Jasper

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 10, 2012

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Dammit, why is March Eridan the second GIS result? Fandom is why we can't have nice things. :(

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
There's pretty much no way RL didn't just kill Jaspers with Sassacre.

^^^ efb

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Update on the RL pesterlog. (patiently sips bev rage)

Whatever happened to Jaspers just happened to the book. Where did they go???? (Probably what is posted above me) Find out next time, when we get 100 updates a day forever starting wednesday.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
So, Ro-- :gonk:ed her gaurds?

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

MrBims posted:

Whatever happened to Jaspers just happened to the book. Where did they go????

I think the book just happened to Jaspers.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

A good poster posted:

Yep, that book could totally kill a cat and it just has.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
TG: coud be sober as a churchchrist

This phrase tickled me.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

the callback pile doesn't stop from getting taller, I can't wait to see how Ro__ deals with this.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Doc Uzuki posted:

e: I'm sad the GIS doesn't have that picture of the security guard walking past a group of cosplayers with a look on his face like he's scared for his life. That's my favorite HS-related image.

There is apparently a "Know your Meme" page for Homestuck, and that security guard picture is on it.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/subcultures/homestuck

Along with some...other stuff.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Wait. Wait wait wait. "Maths"??? Are the Lalondes British in this universe or what?

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

A good poster posted:

I think it's more accurate to say, there's a (MATHS) % chance the book happened to Jaspers.

loquacius posted:

Wait. Wait wait wait. "Maths"??? Are the Lalondes British in this universe or what?
Wait, "maths" is a commonwealth term?

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y
It's called "mathematics" for a reason :colbert:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, I cannot wait for the new kids to meet the trolls, just to see drunkMom try to type their names.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Snollygoster posted:

The trolls also got a lot of people into the story in the first place. I'm sure I'm not the only one who saw people on forums with trolls like Terezi and Vriska as their avatars and wondered what was up with the funny-looking demon kids.

quote:

Man, I cannot wait for the new kids to meet the trolls, just to see drunkMom try to type their names.

drunkMom and Karkat meeting will be classic. Guy with an extremely short fuse and a drunk teen that doesn't give a poo poo if she's pissing people off meeting will own.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop

closeted republican posted:

The trolls also got a lot of people into the story in the first place. I'm sure I'm not the only one who saw people on forums with trolls like Terezi and Vriska as their avatars and wondered what was up with the funny-looking demon kids.

Sometimes I wonder how much bank Lowtax makes off of fans of serial entertainment. Every new TV episode or webcomic update spurs another round of custom title creation and the odd emoticon.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Certainly worked on me anyway. Well not just the trolls, but the prevalence of homestuck avatars certainly made me curious enough to give the strip a look when I was sufficiently bored.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Snollygoster posted:

Sometimes I wonder how much bank Lowtax makes off of fans of serial entertainment. Every new TV episode or webcomic update spurs another round of custom title creation and the odd emoticon.

You gotta wonder if he regrets the pony ban at all

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Some Lined Paper posted:

The best part is that the rest of the GIS results are pretty tame. Some lovely fanart here and there, but nothing like... that.

On page 3 there's Terezi and Jadesprite doing unspeakable things to Nepeta.

e: At least with Safesearch off.

Paracelsus fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 10, 2012

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Mazerunner posted:

You gotta wonder if he regrets the pony ban at all

Considering the sheer number of MLP avs despite the ban, ill say probably not.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Pretty much the only reason I started reading homestuck is seeing a picture of Equius and having someone tell me, "He's great, but the only good character".

He was right.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Roger Explosion posted:

Wait, "maths" is a commonwealth term?

Indeed, over here in the colonies we have but a single math.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Also, Karkat was using metric during his most recent rant in the intermission. Maybe Trolls are secretly British? Except he used the American spelling. Hmm.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

YggiDee posted:

Also, Karkat was using metric during his most recent rant in the intermission. Maybe Trolls are secretly British? Except he used the American spelling. Hmm.

Obviously Karkat is Canadian. You'd never be able to tell from his demeanor though.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
British? Or... English?

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

FewtureMD posted:

the callback pile doesn't stop from getting taller, I can't wait to see how Ro__ deals with this.

She'll place the departed in a small box, stand in the rain all day, and then get drunk and pass out on the couch, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Obviously Karkat is Canadian. You'd never be able to tell from his demeanor though.

Have you ever heard a pissed-off Quebecois? He'd probably fit right in up here.