Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
Yeah that definitely makes sense. I haven't managed to fill up my 3D yet so I'm sure 16GB is enough for a lot of folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Good point. Verizon has a bunch of $200 LTE phones and I've been seeing a commercial lately for a $50 Pantech.

Yeah, Verizon has four 4G phones under $100, and the Rezound just dropped to $199.

A $200 price point for Gnex on Sprint would be a good stab at what may be potential Verizon customers, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was anywhere between that and $300.

I'm guessing though they'll be releasing both a 16gb and 32gb verison at $199 and $299 respectively.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I can't wait to see what the non-contract price is, because I'm probably going to just buy it outright and ebay/craigslist/SA-Mart my 3D. I even contemplated switching to Verizon (until I started looking at their website and pricing - paying more for the luxury of seeing your usage stats? Hey Comcast Mobile, :fuckoff:) over this phone.

My only fear - and this may be unwarranted - is that Samsung will take a Touchwhiz-flavored poo poo all over the phone. For some reason I remember seeing the NS4G with TW on it, but I think it was a promo image or a display, and they may have just pasted the screen image from another TW phone. Any NS4G owners able to chime in on whether their phone came with that bullshit baked in?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Entire Universe posted:

I can't wait to see what the non-contract price is, because I'm probably going to just buy it outright and ebay/craigslist/SA-Mart my 3D. I even contemplated switching to Verizon (until I started looking at their website and pricing - paying more for the luxury of seeing your usage stats? Hey Comcast Mobile, :fuckoff:) over this phone.

My only fear - and this may be unwarranted - is that Samsung will take a Touchwhiz-flavored poo poo all over the phone. For some reason I remember seeing the NS4G with TW on it, but I think it was a promo image or a display, and they may have just pasted the screen image from another TW phone. Any NS4G owners able to chime in on whether their phone came with that bullshit baked in?

I had one and obviously deal with them daily. No bullshit, no touchwiz. The only downside is it takes longer to get software updates for the cdma version, but that's just life.

Nexus S and evo 3D are still the best 2 devices on sprint in my opinion. Obviously the galaxy nexus will usurp them upon release.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Did they actually confirm in the press release 1.5ghz?

Here's the thing, the current Galaxy Nexus ships with an OMAP 4460. The 4460 is a 1.5ghz chip. That's literally the only thing that separates it from the 4430 in Motorola's phones (the 4430 is spec'd for 1ghz.)

So, I'm wondering if something wasn't goofed up along the line and it's still 1.2ghz and they only assumed it would be 1.5ghz due to the 4460.

Either way it's moot. All 4460s are capable of 1.5ghz (or they wouldn't be binned as 4460s.) Anybody with the GSM or Verizon version of the Galaxy Nexus needs only 'overclock' (or rather, reverse the underclocking) to get 1.5ghz.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Unplugged my Evo 3D at 7:30am today, used gps until 8:30, then did some browsing,texting, and gaming for the following two hours. I had 1-2 bars during this time. At 11:30am, my phone was at 5% battery. Is anyone else getting horrible battery life like this?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
Unplugged my Evo 3D at 7:30am today, used gps until 8:30, then did some browsing,texting, and gaming for the following two hours. I had 1-2 bars during this time. At 11:30am, my phone was at 5% battery. Is anyone else getting horrible battery life like this?

An hour of GPS combined with really lovely signal and solid use for 2 hours will just about kill any phone out there.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

My NS4G has stock Gingerbread 2.3.7 on it and did not ship with TouchWiz or anything like it.

The only thing I'd say there is to worry about is if Smasung will gently caress up the build.prop and Google can't update the OS. Though I'm not sure if there's a fix for this already.

I'll still be keeping an eye on the GNex and I'll probably pick one up, even if I have to pay full price.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 10, 2012

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

"d[-.- posted:

b"]Unplugged my Evo 3D at 7:30am today, used gps until 8:30, then did some browsing,texting, and gaming for the following two hours. I had 1-2 bars during this time. At 11:30am, my phone was at 5% battery.
So what's the problem? I don't see anything out of the ordinary here.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

My XS4G has stock Gingerbread 2.3.7 on it and did not ship with TouchWiz or anything like it.

The only thing I'd say there is to worry about is if Smasung will gently caress up the build.prop and Google can't update the OS. Though I'm not sure if there's a fix for this already.

I'll still be keeping an eye on the GNex and I'll probably pick one up, even if I have to pay full price.

If Samsung is physically allowed to gently caress something up, they usually will.

I wonder if that's why Google has had them do the last two Nexus devices - the requirement that it conform strictly to Google probably means they have very little room to gently caress up. It's still wiggle room, but it isn't a broken RIL or a refusal to issue timely updates.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

If Samsung is physically allowed to gently caress something up, they usually will.

I wonder if that's why Google has had them do the last two Nexus devices - the requirement that it conform strictly to Google probably means they have very little room to gently caress up. It's still wiggle room, but it isn't a broken RIL or a refusal to issue timely updates.

I wonder if the next Nexus will be a Motorola. I'm not really a fan of Moto's box-like builds though...

djbaseball24
Nov 27, 2006
Anyone have luck with upgrading before contract is up?, I've herd stories of people re-signing a new 2yr contract when they still had about 2 months left, I have 50 days and my phone is just about dead and I really need a new phone, any ideas? Retention's?

FlyingPJ
Oct 8, 2009
So LTE is only being rolled out in first half of 2012, so realistically that's like April/May. Does that mean the Galaxy Nexus would only be released then? I hope that's not the case as my dumbphone is starting to act up after 2 years and I want to upgrade to a smartphone.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

djbaseball24 posted:

Anyone have luck with upgrading before contract is up?, I've herd stories of people re-signing a new 2yr contract when they still had about 2 months left, I have 50 days and my phone is just about dead and I really need a new phone, any ideas? Retention's?
Yeah, the two year upgrade is actually 22 months. Are you 50 days from 2 years, or 50 days from upgrade-eligible, according to the sprint site? (If it's the latter, forget it)

FlyingPJ posted:

So LTE is only being rolled out in first half of 2012, so realistically that's like April/May. Does that mean the Galaxy Nexus would only be released then? I hope that's not the case as my dumbphone is starting to act up after 2 years and I want to upgrade to a smartphone.
Well, nobody knows anything more than you've already read, but almost certainly, yes, the nexus is at least a few months away. Buy a cheap, used dumbphone to tide you over.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

djbaseball24 posted:

You can buy a subsidized upgrade 2 months before the contract ends. Log into Sprint.com and try to buy a new phone - clicking the "upgrade my device" button will tell you how long you actually have to wait.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

FlyingPJ posted:

Google said "Stay tuned in coming months for pricing & availability."

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

djbaseball24 posted:

What the other dude said, you should be eligible, and if not call retentions.

WoG posted:

Well, nobody knows anything more than you've already read, but almost certainly, yes, the nexus is at least a few months away. Buy a cheap, used dumbphone to tide you over.

This. Sprint Evo's and Nexus S's are both pretty cheap used now, so anyone needing a replacement can always buy either of those to bridge the gap between broken phone and new Galaxy Nexus. Updating the OP to mention this.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I originally had an upgrade for May 2012, do I still have this or do I just have to wait until March 2013?

If the latter, would my only option (since I'm on EPRP) is to sell the Nexus S, pay ETF, then restart my contract? If I do this, would I be able to keep my number?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

I originally had an upgrade for May 2012, do I still have this or do I just have to wait until March 2013?

If the latter, would my only option (since I'm on EPRP) is to sell the Nexus S, pay ETF, then restart my contract? If I do this, would I be able to keep my number?

Was this update under Premier Gold? If so this says:

"What is the last day a Sprint Premier Gold Customer can use their annual upgrade?
Answer: Sprint Premier Gold customers who are eligible for the Sprint Premier Annual Upgrade between now and the end of 2012 can use their annual upgrade until 12/31/12."

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Was that upgrade under yearly upgrades? Honestly, call Sprint and ask them to be sure. If you buy out the contract here is the procedure:

1. Buy out contract for XX dollars (call retentions for this). usually just gets billed to account

2. Resign contract with subsidized Galaxy Nexus

3. Sell Nexus S

This is all dependent on retentions being willing to do step #1, all I know is sometimes they will do it, sometimes they won't. If they won't do it there are a few other ways to possible get around it, but lets try that one first.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Apparently my wife did update her Evo Shift. It didn't really fix the issues she was having with data dropping, but it did introduce more annoying "your battery is low" alerts. We walked into our local Sprint store to look at the other phones so I could gauge whether or not to try to track down a new used phone for her, and the Sprint rep we talked to said that they'd be happy to run some tests since we do have insurance on it. I didn't even realize it was a service center, too.

I'd already explained to her that they'll probably want to wipe it, and she was okay with that. So whatever, sure, run some tests.

When we came back, we talked to the tech who tested the phone. No issues were reported, but he did not wipe it because "it doesn't look like you've got anything weird installed on there" (uhh, thanks?). He ordered us a new battery because this one "felt a little swollen", and installed ANOTHER update, saying it was pretty out of date (how many Gingerbread updates did the Shift have?!). Lastly, he disabled roaming on the phone, because, and I quote, "one bar of Sprint service is better than 5 bars roaming on Verizon."

New battery should be in tomorrow. Oh, and the rep who removed her snap-on bumper thing apparently broke some of the clips on the front cover, so we can't snap that back on anymore. Going to see if they can give us another one of those.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

900ftjesus posted:

Was this update under Premier Gold? If so this says:

"What is the last day a Sprint Premier Gold Customer can use their annual upgrade?
Answer: Sprint Premier Gold customers who are eligible for the Sprint Premier Annual Upgrade between now and the end of 2012 can use their annual upgrade until 12/31/12."

I don't think it was. I got the Nexus S about 3 days after it launched.

Duckman2008 posted:

Was that upgrade under yearly upgrades? Honestly, call Sprint and ask them to be sure. If you buy out the contract here is the procedure:

1. Buy out contract for XX dollars (call retentions for this). usually just gets billed to account

2. Resign contract with subsidized Galaxy Nexus

3. Sell Nexus S

This is all dependent on retentions being willing to do step #1, all I know is sometimes they will do it, sometimes they won't. If they won't do it there are a few other ways to possible get around it, but lets try that one first.

Would I just ask to buy my contract out? What would I exactly say for this? And should I call EPRP to find out if my upgrades were yearly?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
How much of a pain in the rear end is it to swap numbers between phones? I have a family plan with an Evo 3D and a dumbphone on it. The 3D is mine, the flip phone is my fathers. I want to get a third line for my mother and give her the flip phone, my father can't really use it any more because of his ALS. So I want to order the new line with an iPhone 4S, give my father the 3D (which he loves because of the big touchscreen), and end up with my mother getting the flip phone.

How painful is this going to be?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Do you have any old Sprint phone that you can activate temporarily?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

Apparently my wife did update her Evo Shift. It didn't really fix the issues she was having with data dropping, but it did introduce more annoying "your battery is low" alerts. We walked into our local Sprint store to look at the other phones so I could gauge whether or not to try to track down a new used phone for her, and the Sprint rep we talked to said that they'd be happy to run some tests since we do have insurance on it. I didn't even realize it was a service center, too.

I'd already explained to her that they'll probably want to wipe it, and she was okay with that. So whatever, sure, run some tests.

When we came back, we talked to the tech who tested the phone. No issues were reported, but he did not wipe it because "it doesn't look like you've got anything weird installed on there" (uhh, thanks?). He ordered us a new battery because this one "felt a little swollen", and installed ANOTHER update, saying it was pretty out of date (how many Gingerbread updates did the Shift have?!). Lastly, he disabled roaming on the phone, because, and I quote, "one bar of Sprint service is better than 5 bars roaming on Verizon."

New battery should be in tomorrow. Oh, and the rep who removed her snap-on bumper thing apparently broke some of the clips on the front cover, so we can't snap that back on anymore. Going to see if they can give us another one of those.

Glad they ordered you a battery at least. Fyi those stupid Shift cases do suck that bad, I have broken them myself. Take it back and they should replace it. The roaming comment is just funny.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I don't think it was. I got the Nexus S about 3 days after it launched.

Would I just ask to buy my contract out? What would I exactly say for this? And should I call EPRP to find out if my upgrades were yearly?

Call EPRP to find out about the upgrades, they shoullllld give you a straight answer. And to buy out the contract you call retentions and say "I want to buy out my contract so I can upgrade." They will know what you mean by that. And buying it out is whatever price your ETF currently is at. The ETF starts at $200 goes down $5 every month.

Q_res posted:

How much of a pain in the rear end is it to swap numbers between phones? I have a family plan with an Evo 3D and a dumbphone on it. The 3D is mine, the flip phone is my fathers. I want to get a third line for my mother and give her the flip phone, my father can't really use it any more because of his ALS. So I want to order the new line with an iPhone 4S, give my father the 3D (which he loves because of the big touchscreen), and end up with my mother getting the flip phone.

How painful is this going to be?

I literally just had this scenario a week ago. Its really easy, I'll PM you about it.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Duckman2008 posted:

The roaming comment is just funny.
I just politely nodded, but it was definitely hard to keep a straight face. I wasn't going to be a dick in the middle of the Sprint store, though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Call EPRP to find out about the upgrades, they shoullllld give you a straight answer. And to buy out the contract you call retentions and say "I want to buy out my contract so I can upgrade." They will know what you mean by that. And buying it out is whatever price your ETF currently is at. The ETF starts at $200 goes down $5 every month.

I'll look into this tomorrow, the ETF should be about $160 - $165. Thanks!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

I wonder if the next Nexus will be a Motorola. I'm not really a fan of Moto's box-like builds though...

It's a mild possibility that Google could tell them to sand the drat corners down, but personally I wouldn't mind since I like zune-ish monolith boxy design. Then again, once you hit a certain thinness it starts looking really weird to have sharp corners. I don't think that even Moto's design crew would sign off on a 6mm thick rectangle with sharp edges.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

djbaseball24 posted:

I just upgraded three weeks ago, and I wasn't due for an upgrade until April... they occasionally run promotions like that.

[edit] Related question: If I return the phone I got 3 weeks ago and (probably) pay a restocking fee, will I retain my upgrade credit for when the Galaxy Nexus comes out?

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 10, 2012

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

zenintrude posted:

I just upgraded three weeks ago, and I wasn't due for an upgrade until April... they occasionally run promotions like that.

Public promotions? Can you expand on that?

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey
It must have been some 3rd party store doing something. I've never in my time as a customer and as an employee seen a sprint promotion for upgrading early (other than primier). I've seen forced upgrades because someone's device was so old it no longer functioned with the current network technology.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

It was some kind of early upgrade promotion, not sure what to say other than that...

I went to the Sprint store (not third party outlet) to look at the phones over the holiday, the sales clerk ran my number, and told me that there was a promotion that was running through December 24th that would allow me to re-up my contract early and get a phone upgrade.

Wish I could be more helpful, but that's what happened.

[edit] May have something to do with this: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Sprint-Early-Upgrade-Promotion-Runs-through-December-31-243237.shtml

Not sure what "level" my account is at, but we've been with Sprint for 9+ years.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Sigh, another problem with my SGSIIE4GT...

When I try to connect my phone and PC via USB, I only get a "MTP Initializing" then "MTP Connected" message, but no option to connect via USB. I went into Settings > Applications > Development and enabled USB debugging, but that doesn't give me any options when I plug the phone in.

Any ideas? This used to work before I had to go through the ordeal which resulted in me having to do a hard reset on the phone.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

berzerkmonkey posted:

Sigh, another problem with my SGSIIE4GT...

When I try to connect my phone and PC via USB, I only get a "MTP Initializing" then "MTP Connected" message, but no option to connect via USB. I went into Settings > Applications > Development and enabled USB debugging, but that doesn't give me any options when I plug the phone in.

Any ideas? This used to work before I had to go through the ordeal which resulted in me having to do a hard reset on the phone.

I have to deal with this all the time because OSX and the E4GT don't automatically play nice with each other.

This is what I do:

1. Settings
2. Wireless and network
3. USB utilities
4. Connect storage to PC

Hopefully that works for you.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

zenintrude posted:

I have to deal with this all the time because OSX and the E4GT don't automatically play nice with each other.

This is what I do:

1. Settings
2. Wireless and network
3. USB utilities
4. Connect storage to PC

Hopefully that works for you.
I just tried that and no dice. I also rebooted the phone - I don't get the "MTP" messages any more, but I don't get anything else, either.

Wait, it came up once. After it was disconnected, it doesn't come up again. WTF is going on?

You shouldn't have to use the USB cable that came with the phone, right?

EDIT: Yup, it is the cable. A co-worker's cable works just fine.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 10, 2012

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Stupid question, those SERO prices, if I'm looking for a 2 line family plan, would I have to add $20 to the quoted monthly price for both lines having smartphones?

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Boten Anna posted:

Stupid question, those SERO prices, if I'm looking for a 2 line family plan, would I have to add $20 to the quoted monthly price for both lines having smartphones?

If you don't already have SERO, you're not getting on.

EPRP plans do appear to require the extra $10/month for smartphones, judging from http://delivery.sprint.com/m/p/nxt/epc/epclanding.asp.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Technogeek posted:

If you don't already have SERO, you're not getting on.

The site linked in the OP seemed to work, is it closed now? :sigh:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Boten Anna posted:

The site linked in the OP seemed to work, is it closed now? :sigh:

I'll check, there shouldn't really be a link anymore. Sero has been closed for well over a year or two, no way to get it,just people grandfathered in. Sorry dude. You can check online, if anyone is trying to sell a sero plan you can transfer it to your name at sprints discretion (aka not guaranteed).

zenintrude posted:

It was some kind of early upgrade promotion, not sure what to say other than that...

I went to the Sprint store (not third party outlet) to look at the phones over the holiday, the sales clerk ran my number, and told me that there was a promotion that was running through December 24th that would allow me to re-up my contract early and get a phone upgrade.

Wish I could be more helpful, but that's what happened.

[edit] May have something to do with this: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Sprint-Early-Upgrade-Promotion-Runs-through-December-31-243237.shtml

Not sure what "level" my account is at, but we've been with Sprint for 9+ years.

Sprint only has a 14 day guarantee. So you cannot return that phone at this point, and your next upgrade is 20 months from December (its possible you still have yearly upgrades, but that I would check with sprint on). Either way, you aren't eligible anytime soon.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Strange, I was just poking around on it and it offered family plans, then tried it again just now and it was only individual ones.