Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

lilljonas posted:

Then there are tons of them. I usually browse http://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/shop/ since they have so many kits available, and you can easily search for specific scales and subjects. Even if you end up buying it somewhere else, it is a good place to browse.

Progress report:

I might work some more on the tires, but overall I'm happy with it since it took just a few hours. I opted to go simple with no flashy camo, but a simple desert coloured one without too much weathering (which I did with drybryshing and washes, just to show how lazy I am).

I could probably leave the base as it is if I wanted to be completely lazy, but I think I'll put some desert on it. The tank is so tiny, barely longer than an AA battery, so it shouldn't be too hard. Too bad the decals were too old and fell apart as I tried to apply them.

Looks really good. Do you have any pigments? you could try rubbing some light colours into the treads that's usually looks really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, it's not the turret itself so much as how the detail is represented. Mine seems to have more deeply etched lines etc, and one or two more parts. The guns seem to be the same guns, just yours have dust covers or something where mine don't. Looking at the one I built most recently there's a lot more stowage on it, but that could be from other kits too.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, it's not the turret itself so much as how the detail is represented. Mine seems to have more deeply etched lines etc, and one or two more parts. The guns seem to be the same guns, just yours have dust covers or something where mine don't. Looking at the one I built most recently there's a lot more stowage on it, but that could be from other kits too.

I also noticed that various kits have various stowage etc., which makes sence as my googling for real pictures shows that pretty much every one were rather unique.

big_g: I have bought two Tamiya weathering kits, but I don't have them at home right now. I'll definitely try them and see if the result is better than just drybrushing. Thanks!

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

lilljonas posted:

big_g: I have bought two Tamiya weathering kits, but I don't have them at home right now. I'll definitely try them and see if the result is better than just drybrushing. Thanks!

The effect you are looking for is pretty much the opposite of drybrushing as in you want it in the treads and not the raised points. just dust some all over the wheel and run your finger over it, should polish it off nicely.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lilljonas posted:

I also noticed that various kits have various stowage etc., which makes sence as my googling for real pictures shows that pretty much every one were rather unique.
The only one I built without replacing the guns with bolters and sticking a big aquila on the front of is looted by Germans so it's not a standard build. The stowage could literally be from anything across the Revell, Italeri, Armourfast and Airfix ranges.

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
Nearly done, a couple of little fixes and its ready to go.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That is really impressive.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Yes, you really managed to get the stripes perfect.

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.
Awesome work on the brake discs, are they a paint job or photoetch parts?

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
I managed to find a good range of 1:32 WW1 Figures and accessories here. Price and quality seem decent, and they even have a set of gasmasked heads (something that I was looking for).

Sadly there was still a lack of 1:35 or 1:32 figures although i did find some very nice quality ones at the model cellar

Now that I have these sourced I'm going to have to drag the kit out of the closet and start working on it.

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine
I ordered a set of photoetch parts for the cockpit of the Corsair that I will be starting soon. They came in the mail today, and HOLY CRAP some of the pieces are small. I don't really know what I was expecting, but I didn't expect them to be that tiny.

I've read several general articles about working with photoetch, but would appreciate any additional tips you guys might have.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

I haven't worked with photoetch specifically (but will be in the future) but as with most thin metal, make sure you plan out your bends, you don't want to have keep working it otherwise there is a high chance it will snap.

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 9, 2012

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

who cares posted:

I ordered a set of photoetch parts for the cockpit of the Corsair that I will be starting soon. They came in the mail today, and HOLY CRAP some of the pieces are small. I don't really know what I was expecting, but I didn't expect them to be that tiny.

I've read several general articles about working with photoetch, but would appreciate any additional tips you guys might have.

For the first time I finished a kit where Photoetch was a major part of the kit. Were the pieces small? Well...

(It's an eye-hole. Oh and you need to bend it in the middle.)

My tips would be: 1) One or two special tools make things easier. A pair of needle-nose pliers and a Tamiya diamond file were pretty much all I used for sanding and bending. 2) Superglue, if you put it on wax paper, stays liquid for a long time, so you can apply just the right amount. Oh, and make sure you are at a desk that is well lit. This kit was from dragon and came with spares for the smallest bits, but still, I lost nothing to the carpet monster.

Oh, and the kit is a winter T-34/76, unfortunate as it probably looks like crap next to lilljonas T-34 of like 2 pages ago.

Handle on round transmission access is photo-etch, very very tiny:

Snow from a Tamiya weathering stick. It looks alright, especially for the scale, but it didn't quite match what was in my head.

Actual braided steel cable! The grilles were all photoetch; if you look closely at the rear grille you can make out angled air vents.

Wash was grey and black water based paints, it took quite a bit to make enough of a mess. Ground up art charcoal is the exhaust soot.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I also recently put together a late model T-34/76. It's a Zvezda, so it unfortunately has those crappy looking rubber tracks.

It's just not a Zvezda kit without a component that nobody else would ever produce:

BAM! Minesweeper. The idea is that this thing would roll over anti-tank mines and they would explode relatively harmlessly underneath it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Actually Battlefront made those specifically to represent minesweeper tanks. I've never seen them used, since people can remember which tanks have them and which don't.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ensign Expendable posted:

I also recently put together a late model T-34/76. It's a Zvezda, so it unfortunately has those crappy looking rubber tracks.

Ah, I see yours has all-steel wheels...:spergin:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I also found an old as hell T-34/85 kit that was partially put together, but has since fallen apart. There weren't any tracks in the box, so I guess I will have to buy aftermarket ones. Any suggestions?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Hot Soviet tanks ITT :awesome:

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Nebakenezzer posted:

Superglue, if you put it on wax paper, stays liquid for a long time, so you can apply just the right amount.

No matter what you are doing this is a good thing to know! Thanks.

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005

Morgenthau posted:

Awesome work on the brake discs, are they a paint job or photoetch parts?

All paint, Alclad II lacquer. Its a layering of Chrome and Stainless Steel.

Cheers

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I kind of lurk this thread because I haven't built a model in years, but this website is looking to waste a poo poo load of my money. The stuff they sell reflects a lot of the well known and vintage short track racers from my area, and skimming through the site has me thinking of getting back into it. I'd like to get one built for my dad for Father's Day, he used to build race cars just like those.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

VikingSkull posted:

I kind of lurk this thread because I haven't built a model in years, but this website is looking to waste a poo poo load of my money. The stuff they sell reflects a lot of the well known and vintage short track racers from my area, and skimming through the site has me thinking of getting back into it. I'd like to get one built for my dad for Father's Day, he used to build race cars just like those.

Join us, VikingSkull. We all float down here (on a cloud of toxic vapor.) Speaking of toxic, you might want to ask the thread about working with resin. It's not like working with normal plastic; I think a respirator is standard equipment.

Aeronautical insanity crosspost: You could always build this familiar face in the meantime.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Man, gently caress the C-17, replacing the C-5 here like it is. It's just not the same. :qq:

Also, I've worked with resin before. Back when I built them I used to get detail parts for each car from the local hobby store. I'm definitely not a rookie, I can use an airbrush and everything! I'd post some pics but all my models went to that big bedroom floor + careless step in the sky.

poo poo, back when I was building kits minors were allowed to buy glue and spray paint.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

My mistake; just makin' sure you knew about resin. I was going to post a C-5 for you but I don't think anybody makes a kit for them right now.

fake e: OK there was a 1/144 kit for the C-5, but it's long outa print now, and apparently can command up to $100 on the second hand market. Some company in Las Vegas will sell you a 1/144 kit, about the same price but maybe better quality.

The same company also offers a 1/72 C-5 kit :aaa:

Easiest solution? Build this. :haw:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I've only built a few planes, namely an F-111 (this dates me a bit) that I really enjoyed. I'm more of a custom car/race car kind of guy anyway. I have been looking at 1/35th armor lately though. Honestly though after seeing that site I linked, I'll probably build a few of those first to reflect some of the old time drivers at the dirt track near me.

Plus that loving pavement mod Monza :psyduck: I could scratch build some great late-70's Daytona cars from that.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 10, 2012

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

For a nice glossy finish (cars, motorcycles), what would you recommend? Future is no longer available in Sweden and the "Liquitex High Gloss Varnish" is too thick for my 0.4 needle (and Liquitex says not to thin it).
I have just tried out Microscale Micro Gloss and it gave me a very nice result.
Thins nicely with either water or alocohol.

Edit: I also have Alclad II Klear Kote, Tamiya's X22, Schmincke (2 kinds of varnish), FasKolor Faskoat.
As you can tell I will conquer that goddamn glossy finish or die trying!

Mongolian Queef fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 14, 2012

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine
First time with photo etch is going okay, save for flinging one piece off into oblivion. I'm sure the next time I'll see it is when it gets lodged in my foot.

EDIT: To pick up small pieces I have been rolling up a bit of poster putty into a tiny cylinder and touching the end of it to the photo etch piece. I holds pretty well and I can see where I'm going with it. Once the glue dries I pull the poster putty away.

EDIT2: Some progress. I had a hard time taking pictures and getting everything in focus. Also I accidentally stuck the case thing (I have no idea what its for) to my finger and some of the color came off the part. Oh well, I'm calling it weathering. Hopefully it's not supposed to be canvas. I doubt it will be very visible once it goes into the plane so it doesn't matter that much to me.

who cares fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 14, 2012

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
With some creative use of accessories and common household materials, I made a Zveda artillery loader and a Tamiya tank infantryman into a sapper team diorama.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

How do you usually deal with ejector pin marks? I have an airfix kit I'm working on and the backs of pieces are quite shocking when it comes to them. The worst thing is they are mostly on places which won't be obscured by construction.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

No Pun Intended posted:

How do you usually deal with ejector pin marks? I have an airfix kit I'm working on and the backs of pieces are quite shocking when it comes to them. The worst thing is they are mostly on places which won't be obscured by construction.

You could use a small amount of some kind of putty or surfacer to hide the marks, then gently sand them flat as long as they're not across detail.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Most of them are flat panels so detail is not a problem. I know there is the tamiya white putty for this purpose, does anyone else know of a better/preferred putty to use?

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

No Pun Intended posted:

Most of them are flat panels so detail is not a problem. I know there is the tamiya white putty for this purpose, does anyone else know of a better/preferred putty to use?

Gunze Mr. Surfacer 500 is good for that sort of thing if you can get your hands on it.

As I can't get that locally any more for some reason, I've been having some pretty good luck mixing Squadron green stuff with non-acetone nailpolish remover. Others use liquid cement for the same purpose, but that seems a little "hot" to me (potentially could melt the plastic). You can mix the putty/solvent to the consistency you want and it ends up far less expensive than the other liquid putties.

The commercial ones become a little more worthwhile in the finer grades (Mr. Surfacer 1000/1500) as high-build primers.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dissolve some extra sprue in a bottle of liquid cement (Testor's clear or Tamiya) and it will make an easy-to-work filler.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

compressioncut posted:

Gunze Mr. Surfacer 500 is good for that sort of thing if you can get your hands on it.

As I can't get that locally any more for some reason, I've been having some pretty good luck mixing Squadron green stuff with non-acetone nailpolish remover.

By green stuff I presume you mean regular blue/yellow kneadanite? Or is this something else entirely?

kaosAG
Oct 14, 2005

No Pun Intended posted:

By green stuff I presume you mean regular blue/yellow kneadanite? Or is this something else entirely?

Squadron green stuff is stuff out of a tube. Similar to the tamiya putty. 2-part putties are a pain in the rear end when it comes to gap filling and such, in my experience, but is nice if you need to recreate detail (and can sculpt a bit).

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Yeah the Squadron green putty is almost ubiquitous. Dries pretty fast and has a fine grain. Tamiya and Vallejo also make tube putties.

http://store.spruebrothers.com/squadron-tools---green-putty-23oz-9055-p22340.aspx

Thick super glue + accelerator also makes an excellent filler, but it tends to get really hard if you don't sand it soon after application, and it's also clear which I find hard to judge progress on. It would be difficult to use on ejector pin marks.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

I appreciate the input, I'll try and pick some up from the model store if (I can swing by)/get some from the Internet.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
You want to see some impressive scratch-built dioramas, check this out!
http://www.chinasmack.com/2012/pictures/incredibly-realistic-miniature-models-by-chinese-art-students.html

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Blistex posted:

You want to see some impressive scratch-built dioramas, check this out!
http://www.chinasmack.com/2012/pictures/incredibly-realistic-miniature-models-by-chinese-art-students.html

Wow. I wonder if they used CNC mills or prototyping machines...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Nebakenezzer posted:

Wow. I wonder if they used CNC mills or prototyping machines...

Clay and shaping tools. These being art students, I'd guess they were all hand carved.