Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

Okay, being new to this I'm looking for some relatively low-level advice.

I'm looking to create a front page that looks somewhat uniform in design and stuff with the posts/pages that will be linked from it, but I don't want it to display the same header/footer/sidebar. What I've done thus far is created a new template file for that front page that doesn't include the sidebar, which was easy. However, since the header and footer are necessary for all the style stuff I'm wondering what the best way to further modify that template is. Right now I'm thinking I have a few options:

1) Edit the header to use a conditional tag for "The Front Page" (http://codex.wordpress.org/Conditional_Tags#The_Front_Page) and exclude a the elements I don't want.
2) However, I am starting to think that my final front page design won't really need anything that resembles the header on the posts/pages, so I'm wondering if I should create new header + footer that are just for the front page and somehow create a new template tag to call them. I don't know how difficult this would be, though.
3) Don't use a header + footer at all on the frontpage and figure out how to call everything I need to without them.

I'm just now learning CSS + HTML but I'm totally willing to figure out what I need to in order to implement the best solution here. Just being unfamiliar with the full structure of Wordpress, I figured I'd ask for help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Omits-Bagels posted:

I'm chugging away on the design of our new site and I have a questions that is probably simple to fix but I'm not sure what that solution is called.

On this page we have a long description of the apartment but I would like the page to display the first few paragraphs and then be able to click a link to view the rest of the description. I think the page is really long as it is now and I want to give the users the option of not having to scroll a lot if they want to view the things under the description.
Page in question: http://feelslikehomeinparis.com/newflhp/paris-vacation-rentals/grand-lepic/

Any ideas?

The read more button in the editor is your friend.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

etcetera08 posted:

Okay, being new to this I'm looking for some relatively low-level advice.

I'm looking to create a front page that looks somewhat uniform in design and stuff with the posts/pages that will be linked from it, but I don't want it to display the same header/footer/sidebar. What I've done thus far is created a new template file for that front page that doesn't include the sidebar, which was easy. However, since the header and footer are necessary for all the style stuff I'm wondering what the best way to further modify that template is. Right now I'm thinking I have a few options:

1) Edit the header to use a conditional tag for "The Front Page" (http://codex.wordpress.org/Conditional_Tags#The_Front_Page) and exclude a the elements I don't want.
2) However, I am starting to think that my final front page design won't really need anything that resembles the header on the posts/pages, so I'm wondering if I should create new header + footer that are just for the front page and somehow create a new template tag to call them. I don't know how difficult this would be, though.
3) Don't use a header + footer at all on the frontpage and figure out how to call everything I need to without them.

I'm just now learning CSS + HTML but I'm totally willing to figure out what I need to in order to implement the best solution here. Just being unfamiliar with the full structure of Wordpress, I figured I'd ask for help.

you can make files like header-front.php and footer-front.php and then do get_header('front'); and get_footer('front');

Then you just need to make a different sidebar for the homepage.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Ned posted:

The read more button in the editor is your friend.

I forgot to mention that I can't use the read more function because it breaks my theme.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Omits-Bagels posted:

I forgot to mention that I can't use the read more function because it breaks my theme.

Why is it breaking your theme?

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

Ned posted:

you can make files like header-front.php and footer-front.php and then do get_header('front'); and get_footer('front');

Then you just need to make a different sidebar for the homepage.

Aaaah beautiful. Definitely will just do that. Thanks for the tip :)

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Ned posted:

Why is it breaking your theme?

On my homepage I have property teasers for each property. When I use the more tag it displays everything that comes before the more tag under the property.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Omits-Bagels posted:

On my homepage I have property teasers for each property. When I use the more tag it displays everything that comes before the more tag under the property.

That is how the read more tag is supposed to work. Should you be using the_excerpt() instead?

Apok
Jul 22, 2005
I have a title now!
Quick question: I had to implement a Facebook newsfeed plugin in a few of my client's sites. I'm currently using JSL3 Facebook Wall Feed but was wondering if there are any other recommended plugins for this purpose.

Also, I had never noticed that twentyeleven had a dark theme. I modded it a bit and am using it for my personal site. It looks purty.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Hello thread. Very new to Wordpress. I'm trying to figure out the easiest photo gallery plugin to use for a site, among other things. Right now, for the majority of the site I'm running Perch, and this page is powered by ZenPhoto, but I really want to get all of the functionality unified under a single CMS so it's easy to update. The owner wants to be able to drop a photo gallery in on any random page, as well as the primary photo gallery page, so something that just lets an album be dropped in on a page seems ideal. Anyone have any recommendations?

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB
I've never used Wordpress before, but I've been brought on as the sole developer of a startup website that's using Wordpress.

Now, my boss has had a bad split with the former coders, and while I have access to /var and can modify all the php files, nobody has an admin account on Wordpress. Is there a backdoor way to create one?

VVVVVV good idea, thanks VVVVVV

Large Hardon Collider fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 31, 2011

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Go into the database and modify the user table so that the admin account has an e-mail address you have access to. Then ask it to reset the password associated with that e-mail.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
Do you all know of a good wordpress image slider to use as a slideshow? I have one built in to my current theme but for some reason it doesn't work on my pages. I just need something that cycles through 5-6 images.

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Omits-Bagels posted:

Do you all know of a good wordpress image slider to use as a slideshow? I have one built in to my current theme but for some reason it doesn't work on my pages. I just need something that cycles through 5-6 images.

I've had all of these recommended to me:

Meteor Slides
NextGen Gallery
WP Cycle
SlideDeck
Chop Slider 2

I've used NextGen as a gallery, but never a slider. My main go-to is WP Cycle, though the caveat is you can only use it once (like on your homepage/landing page) on your site. I haven't tried any of the others but would be interested to hear from anyone who has.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

Omits-Bagels posted:

My favorite is the Nivo Slider (http://nivo.dev7studios.com/). They have an official plugin for Wordpress that you can purchase, or you can find numerous free ones on the Wordpress plugins directory.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
So I'm not sure if I made a mistake by not using a child theme. I had someone customize a premium theme and I simply installed the customized theme. Since then I've also made very minor changes to my theme directly through the wordpress editor.

I just learned about child themes and I wonder if I should have set up a child theme just incase the base theme ever gets updated (and I'm sure there are other reasons to use a child theme). Have I set myself up for trouble down the road?

VerySolidSnake posted:

My favorite is the Nivo Slider (http://nivo.dev7studios.com/). They have an official plugin for Wordpress that you can purchase, or you can find numerous free ones on the Wordpress plugins directory.
Yeah, this one looks the best. Thanks. I've yet to find free one that fits my needs.

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB
What's a good plugin for allowing users to report comments as inappropriate? All the ones I've found haven't been updated in years and either have very little functionality or don't even work.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Large Hardon Collider posted:

What's a good plugin for allowing users to report comments as inappropriate? All the ones I've found haven't been updated in years and either have very little functionality or don't even work.

I personally use Disqus (and it has that feature), but it might be overkill.

Hopefully this isn't against the rules, but I wanted to cross-post from the jobs thread: my employer is hiring for a web developer position (mostly Wordpress) and I know a lot of you would be a good fit. Location is Austin, TX but we're open to remote workers.

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB

sim posted:

I personally use Disqus (and it has that feature), but it might be overkill.
Might be something for the future, thanks. For now I'm looking for something more lightweight.

More suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
I'm currently trying to use the mediaelement.js plugin for wordpress.
Wordpress 3.3.1
Mediaelement.js 2.5.0

However, whenever I view it, in Firefox, Chrome, Safari... it always shows two players. One of them is nonfunctional, and the other says "loading" until you click play, and then it starts (probably due to preloading off on that issue). I've tried disabling all my other plugins in wordpress, as well as extensions/plugins in my browsers that could interfere. I have the same problem regardless of whether it is audio or video. I have tried using the both the script and the shortcodes, and both create this result.

Here's an example of what it looks like when the audio isn't working:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have a wordpress blog that I moved over from shared hosting to a VPS to handle a temporary rush in holiday traffic. When I did the move I simply moved the entire site directory and imported the old sql database into the new server.

I want to move this site back to the old shared hosting, but would like to retain the few new posts and content since the move without creating any duplicates. Should I just move the directory and sql database back again, or would wordpress's built in import/export tools be able to handle this without duping posts and pages?

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

FCKGW posted:

I have a wordpress blog that I moved over from shared hosting to a VPS to handle a temporary rush in holiday traffic. When I did the move I simply moved the entire site directory and imported the old sql database into the new server.

I want to move this site back to the old shared hosting, but would like to retain the few new posts and content since the move without creating any duplicates. Should I just move the directory and sql database back again, or would wordpress's built in import/export tools be able to handle this without duping posts and pages?

I would start the shared hosting again with a clean slate. Delete and files and directories, clear the database. Then make a full backup on the VPS, and install it all back on the shared.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

VerySolidSnake posted:

I would start the shared hosting again with a clean slate. Delete and files and directories, clear the database. Then make a full backup on the VPS, and install it all back on the shared.

That sounds perfect, thanks.

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB
For some reason, pagination is screwed up on my site. When you click a number, you get redirected to a post whose title starts with that number. Anyone know what might be up with that?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Rebuild your permalinks?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Does anyone know of a free theme that is similar to this one?

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB

Ned posted:

Rebuild your permalinks?
Ah, thanks. What's the best way to automate it so that my permalinks get rebuilt periodically? This person doesn't seem to have any luck:

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/permalink-rebuild-action

kdevil II
Aug 18, 2000
Forum Veteran
I am having some video issues with a new wordpress site and the iPhone app. Basically my iPhone videos aren't cross browser compatible when the .mov files are uploaded from the app itself. I've tried both the html 5 & 4 options and neither works for me in FF or older versions of IE.

I tried several video player plugins, but nothing has worked properly. JW Player is the only one that actually plays the movies but the size is wrong and I haven't figured out a way to rotate the videos (it isn't picking up the exif data.)

This is my first time administering wordpress, so it certainly could be something I am doing wrong. Here are the plugins that I have tried:

Blubrry PowerPress
Degradable HTML5 audio and video
html5-video-only
JW Player Plugin for WP
MediaElement.jsMobileMe Movie
PRO Player
VideoJS Pro
Viper's Video Quicktags

I am running WordPress 3.3.1 and the iPhone application is the latest version. I checked the WP IOS forum and several posts about similar problems, but VideoPress was the only mentioned solution. I am not even sure if that will work but if it is the only workaround, I'll consider paying for it.

Has anyone else run across this issue and come up with a workaround? Ideally I would be able to upload directly from the iPhone app and just have it work with older browsers with no extra steps on the uploading end or the end users part. Thanks for any help you can provide.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Quick simple one, is there any way to add a message to the admin centre so I can set something up there to let the other authors know about something? I'm being kind of vague, I'll use an example.

On my site I want to have a style guide that the authors can refer to before publishing a post. I thought maybe a private page would work, but I want a way to shove it in their face when they log in. That way if I ever need to notify them all of something, I can simply update the message and they'll see it when they log in.

Any plugins about that will do this? Writing it out like that, it seems like it should be easy to find something but my Google fu is failing me completely.

Edit: Another question, I've just implement the Disqus commenting system but I've noticed it doesn't support commenting as a Wordpress User, so the Authors and I have to login through other channels to comment, or reply or whatever. Anyone know if there's a way to integrate the two, so commenting as a Wordpress User is also possible, just as an additional option?

putin is a cunt fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 10, 2012

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Gnack posted:

Quick simple one, is there any way to add a message to the admin centre so I can set something up there to let the other authors know about something? I'm being kind of vague, I'll use an example.

On my site I want to have a style guide that the authors can refer to before publishing a post. I thought maybe a private page would work, but I want a way to shove it in their face when they log in. That way if I ever need to notify them all of something, I can simply update the message and they'll see it when they log in.

Any plugins about that will do this? Writing it out like that, it seems like it should be easy to find something but my Google fu is failing me completely.

This plugin is a little old but should work - http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/threewp-global-message/

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.
This was touched on slightly further up the page but I'm after a specific feature so I'll bring it back up.

I'm remaking an existing (non-wordpress) site into a wordpress version for a client. It's pretty straight forward and something I've done dozens of times. However the current site has an image slider on the homepage with a row of thumbnails down the side that can be clicked to navigate through the slider.

I've used half a dozen different sliders of the years but I've never used one with a feature like that, and after 30 minutes on google and looking at demos I can't seem to find one either.

The slides don't have to tie into posts or anything like that. It's just a straight forward image slider for a homepage (and potentially another page on the site). But it's something the client is insisting on, so...

Pento McGreno
May 4, 2004

Cheese.

kdevil II posted:

I am having some video issues with a new wordpress site and the iPhone app. Basically my iPhone videos aren't cross browser compatible when the .mov files are uploaded from the app itself. I've tried both the html 5 & 4 options and neither works for me in FF or older versions of IE.

Disclaimer: I build VideoPress.

The problem, as you've discovered, is that a bunch of browsers don't support embedding videos directly into pages, instead you need a service to convert the video to an appropriate format and load a Flash video player for it.

You have a few options:

Host your own video service. This is hard, I don't recommend it.

Use a free service, such as YouTube. The disadvantage is ads, primarily.

Use a paid service, such as VideoPress or Vimeo. Every service has advantages and disadvantages, it's kind of up to you to decide what you prefer.

kdevil II
Aug 18, 2000
Forum Veteran

Pento McGreno posted:

Disclaimer: I build VideoPress.

The problem, as you've discovered, is that a bunch of browsers don't support embedding videos directly into pages, instead you need a service to convert the video to an appropriate format and load a Flash video player for it.

You have a few options:

Host your own video service. This is hard, I don't recommend it.

Use a free service, such as YouTube. The disadvantage is ads, primarily.

Use a paid service, such as VideoPress or Vimeo. Every service has advantages and disadvantages, it's kind of up to you to decide what you prefer.

drat I was hoping to hear a different answer. Thank you very much for your response and expertise. I guess I can always just convert these to flv manually in premiere and use the longtail player. I was just hoping for a dead simple one step upload from phone option. Stupid .mov files. Thanks again!

Yuriki
Mar 27, 2004

Who the hell do you think I am?
I just set up a new VPS for my site and its making good income now, so I figure I need to get to fixing its theme up. I really want to start with Roots, I love the Grid system and I love everything it does, but I don't like the whole rewrite to /css/. There any other good boilerplate themes like Roots?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Is there a widget (or way) to take a post from a category, and have it show up in a sidebar on another page formatted the same way so it is readable?

I have some workouts that get posted every day - http://genesis-ap.com/category/superhuman-workout/

I would like the most recent workout to get posted in this sidebar - http://genesis-ap.com/project-superhuman/

in a way that people can read it straight from that page with it still looking good.

Pento McGreno
May 4, 2004

Cheese.

Alfalfa posted:

Is there a widget (or way) to take a post from a category, and have it show up in a sidebar on another page formatted the same way so it is readable?

I have some workouts that get posted every day - http://genesis-ap.com/category/superhuman-workout/

I would like the most recent workout to get posted in this sidebar - http://genesis-ap.com/project-superhuman/

in a way that people can read it straight from that page with it still looking good.

I had a little look around, and couldn't see a widget that does this.

As a workaround, install the PHP Code Widget plugin, and create a widget with this content:

php:
<?php
$q = array( 'numberposts' => 1'category_name' => 'superhuman-workout' );
$posts get_posts$q );
if ( ! empty( $posts ) )
    echo wpautop$posts[0]->post_content );
?>

This should print the content of the latest post in the 'superhuman-workout' category. Note that I haven't tested this. :)

This also relies upon you to make posts that will fit nicely into the widget space - it does no sanity checking at all.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Is there a widget or plug in or something that, when attempting to post a comment, will allow a user to select from a list of options? (i.e. if one of the options is "Abraham Lincoln', the user will post as Abraham Lincoln)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Mr Interweb posted:

Is there a widget or plug in or something that, when attempting to post a comment, will allow a user to select from a list of options? (i.e. if one of the options is "Abraham Lincoln', the user will post as Abraham Lincoln)

Try Disqus.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
Wordpress-ish question.

I've used bbpress a few times with WP, and the 2.0 is nice(r), but I'm looking for a dead simple forum that I can use Facebook/Google connect with, so I don't have to have a set of logins if I don't want them. Preferably with WP integration.

There's the 'simple facebook connect' plugin for bbpress, but it isn't great. Or if it is, I haven't figured out how to make it great. I don't want to have a wordpress login screen for the average user.

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

All Hat
Jul 11, 2008

He that is without int among you, let him first cast a long

Greetings, thread.

Is Associated Posts Pro (http://wpplugins.com/plugin/247/associated-posts-pro/) the best plugin for easily putting posts from specific categories on pages?

The idea is to use it with the Restrict categories plugin (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/restrict-categories/) to let some users have their own blog/news feed.