Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Buh posted:

It's been so long since I had a desktop computer than my last separate monitor was a 15' CRT. Looking now, I can easily afford a 24' LCD with HDMI.

I'm a little concerned there might be issues with eyestrain, making such a jump in size. Has anyone ever found them uncomfortable? Are there problems from sitting too close (it'd be 50cm away at the back of my desk)? Or am I just a paranoid luddite?

If anything it's easier on the eyes. Moving up from a 20" to a 24" was like a 15 minute adjustment, but yeah the real answer is you will place it at a distance where it takes up about the same amount of your field of view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Dogen posted:

If anything it's easier on the eyes. Moving up from a 20" to a 24" was like a 15 minute adjustment, but yeah the real answer is you will place it at a distance where it takes up about the same amount of your field of view.

It took me about an hour to adjust from a 22" to 24" monitor, but I seem to be incredibly oversensitive to that sort of thing. Going between my 15" laptop and my desktop is OK though, because I sit at way different distances.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Blake- posted:

Any experiences with hybrid drives?

I don't want to shell out the dough / have the small size of a SSD. Would like the speed though, I read around a bit and saw some decent stuff about hybrid drives.
They're discussed a bit in the SSD Megathread here. The Seagate Momentus XT 750GB is pretty much only worth considering for a laptop where you need the large capacity of a harddrive but want something faster than a slow laptop drive. In a desktop you're better off with a regular WD Caviar Black harddrive. The other hybrid solutions are from OCZ and have the poor reliability that comes with OCZ products. If you have an Intel Z68 motherboard then Intel's Smart Response Technology SSD caching would be a good idea to use.

Blake-
Nov 15, 2002

Alereon posted:

They're discussed a bit in the SSD Megathread here. The Seagate Momentus XT 750GB is pretty much only worth considering for a laptop where you need the large capacity of a harddrive but want something faster than a slow laptop drive. In a desktop you're better off with a regular WD Caviar Black harddrive. The other hybrid solutions are from OCZ and have the poor reliability that comes with OCZ products. If you have an Intel Z68 motherboard then Intel's Smart Response Technology SSD caching would be a good idea to use.

that's the very drive I was contemplating.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.
I have only a couple of 2.5" S-ATA drives, but I take it that all of them have the connector spacing and positions standardized, excluding proprietary systems where the manufacturer wants to lock you in?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Bensa posted:

I have only a couple of 2.5" S-ATA drives, but I take it that all of them have the connector spacing and positions standardized, excluding proprietary systems where the manufacturer wants to lock you in?

I've had no problems using desktop SATA cables on standard laptop drives.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Bensa posted:

Yes, though in some cases the laptop manufacturer includes a small adapter to make a single edge connector.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

This seems the most appropriate thread, if not I'll move it to the Storage thread if asked. Anyway, I need a portable HDD for class. Our computers at school have USB 3.0 and so does my main PC at home, so I'd like to get a 3.0 capable external drive. Only problem is I can't seem to settle on one. I know right now HDD prices are screwed up, so I'm willing to go to a 500GB though I'd prefer a 1TB. I'm looking to spend around $100. So far what I'm considering is a WD drive, but it doesn't advertise what kind of speeds it can do-it says "up to 3x faster than USB 2.0" but shouldn't it be more like 10x faster?

Anyway, here's the link for that one: WD Passport

Another I've found is also a WD, and this one does claim up to the 5 Gbps for 3.0. Strangely, this one is on sale at Best Buy's site but only for a preorder on Amazon. Link

Opinions? Seagate has a drive (Flex something?) that seems good but in addition to it being more than either of these, I'd need to buy a Seagate cable to make use of the USB 3.0. Aside from WD and Seagate, I don't know what HDD companies are good or not or whatever so any other advice would be welcome.
Thanks!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

USB 3.0 makes practically no difference for the performance of a platter hard drive. Don't worry about it.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Wha? USB 2.0 tops out at ~35 MB/s. Even a cheap 5400 RPM drive can do triple that on sequential I/O. Maybe you're mentally subbing in SATA III?

Anyhoo, I have a pair of 2TB SeaGate GoFlex drives, and other than being REALLY CLOSE to overheating all the time, they work pretty well. They came with the USB 3.0 dock/cable, too.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

Wha? USB 2.0 tops out at ~35 MB/s. Even a cheap 5400 RPM drive can do triple that on sequential I/O. Maybe you're mentally subbing in SATA III?
Most USB 3.0 controllers I've got in my lab are poo poo and don't do anything for performance. I'd take a good Oxford USB 2.0 or preferably FW800 drive over the garbage USB 3.0 products on the market right now.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Man, I dunno what to tell you. I plug the drive from my T110 II's native USB 2 ports to the Rosewill/Renesas USB 3.0 card, and my backups finish in a third of the time. Ditto on file transfers.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I guess I'll to run some benchmarks, since the tests I run on them don't seem to run any faster and their stability is a complete crapshoot, especially under anything that isn't Windows 7. I despise USB 3.0 right now.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Want me to run a benchmark for the sake of science?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

Want me to run a benchmark for the sake of science?
I believe you, and as you said from a theoretical standpoint there's no reason USB 3.0 shouldn't be much faster. My experience with the current lineup of controllers has been underwhelming enough for USB 3.0 to remain a non-issue in my hardware purchasing decisions and make me stick with FW800 for my DAS needs. When the time comes, I'll just migrate my DAS to ThunderBolt anyway.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Just as well. When I plugged in the drive, it rebooted the machine v:v:v :eng99:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah that sounds like USB 3.0 to me. :laugh:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Dems growing pangs.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

FWx00 offers a performance advantage that can be leveraged because it lets the connected device do DMA if it wishes. Unfortunately, legions of technology sites and idiots over-sensationalize this as a "bug"/security hole/mistake in the FW spec because they're loving morons. A PCIe device hooked up via ExpressCard can do the same loving thing.

Yes, it gives the hooked up device a lot of access to your system...but you were the one who plugged in the device in the first place. User accountability :confused:

Out of curiosity, what USB 3.0 controllers on the PC side were you each using? (e.g. Renesas, ASMedia)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

movax posted:

Out of curiosity, what USB 3.0 controllers on the PC side were you each using? (e.g. Renesas, ASMedia)
Everything under the sun. I've got about 40 different motherboards here for USB 3.0 testing, not even counting add-in cards.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
One of these, which I think uses a Renesas controller. Renesas for sure in my desktop and HTPC, but those haven't crashed my whole system as hard yet.

For the record, aforementioned crash apparently caused a PCI bus error in the Event log, and it flashed about 5 different combinations of diagnostic light across the server's front panel. I had to reboot the router and then the server in that order to re-establish an ethernet link, too.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
I finally used my USB3.0 port on my P8P67 this weekend when I hooked up a SATA/IDE to USB3.0 with a SATA drive that was dying and it worked flawlessly on my system.

Transfer speeds were decent, but I didn't transfer off any large file, I can do some testing sometime this week to see if the speeds really are all they're supposed to be.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

A couple of benchmarks with HD Tune:

External HDD with USB2+3:
USB 2: 25MB/sec
USB 3: 74MB/sec

External HDD with USB2 and FW/400:
USB 2: 30MB/sec
FW/400: 39MB/sec

Done on different computers. Apparently the second featured a less lovely USB controller.

You've got to laugh at how inefficient USB2 is: 240Mbit/sec of useful data out of a promised 480, and that was the good result.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
74MB/s on USB3 is kinda meh. I think I was able to get ~70MB/s on FW800 to a 2.5" drive.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

The drive can't write any faster than that, it's not representative of the link speed.

It would be interesting to see if USB 3 does better in terms of goodput than its predecessor, but I haven't exactly got the hardware to find out. Its theoretical max of 625MB/sec is faster than the PCI-E 2.0 1x slot I have it plugged into, let alone any drives I own. :v:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Shaocaholica posted:

74MB/s on USB3 is kinda meh. I think I was able to get ~70MB/s on FW800 to a 2.5" drive.

I've never seen FW800 do anything much faster than USB2, and certainly nothing like 70MB/sec.
We do a lot of data transfers of multi-GB files here, and we've used USB2/FW400/FW800/USB3/eSATA extensively.

Off the top of my head we see about 30MB/sec off USB2 and FW400. FW800 might get a bit faster, but we're talking 5MB/sec or something. Mind you, that's under Windows - Macs probably see better speeds with better drivers, but I'd be surprised if it gets a lot faster.

USB3 and eSATA are very close to each other. I was seeing about 90-100MB/sec with both on my system. The nice thing about USB3 is that I could software writeblock the device.

All that is anecdotal, of course, but is at least based on real data transfers rather than theoretical speeds. The files were all very large so you got better performance from less seeking, too. This was middle of last year or so, on 1TB 5.25" drives.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 10, 2012

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Gromit posted:

I've never seen FW800 do anything much faster than USB2, and certainly nothing like 70MB/sec.
We do a lot of data transfers of multi-GB files here, and we've used USB2/FW400/FW800/USB3/eSATA extensively.

Off the top of my head we see about 30MB/sec off USB2 and FW400. FW800 might get a bit faster, but we're talking 5MB/sec or something. Mind you, that's under Windows - Macs probably see better speeds with better drivers, but I'd be surprised if it gets a lot faster.

USB3 and eSATA are very close to each other. I was seeing about 90-100MB/sec with both on my system. The nice thing about USB3 is that I could software writeblock the device.

All that is anecdotal, of course, but is at least based on real data transfers rather than theoretical speeds. The files were all very large so you got better performance from less seeking, too. This was middle of last year or so, on 1TB 5.25" drives.

For some reason, a lot of FW controllers were tossed on the PCI bus on some motherboards, seriously kneecapping their maximum possible performance. There are so many variables at play though, it's tough to narrow down what exactly is making GBS threads up the works and murdering your link speed.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Yeah, we gave up trying to work out the FW800 issues and just went with USB2 or hardware duplicators (it would be quicker to duplicate a whole disk rather than do a file copy in many situations.) Now we use eSATA and USB3.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

USB 3.0 makes practically no difference for the performance of a platter hard drive. Don't worry about it.

I got a WD MyPassport with USB 3.0. If I plug it into my laptop in the usb 3.0 port it transfers at ~55 megabytes per second. If I plug it in the shared USB 2.0/eSATAp port, it only does 30 megabytes per second.

Seems way more than no difference to me. Of course if it used eSATAp instead I'd use that.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

I have a new i5 2500k. The turbo boost feature is enabled and will boost the clock speed up to 3.4 ghz, which is the default boost for when all 4 cores are being used. However, it won't go any further. I'm running prime95 on one thread, which should see one core jumping to 3.7 ghz, but it just won't go past 3.4. Google produces many people with the same issue but no resolution that I can see.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Is your BIOS defaulting to operating Turbo "By All Cores?" That's an overclocking setting and almost always turned on when somebody buys an i5-2500K because it's an overclocking chip. If it is, resetting that to "Per Core" will allow different Turbo rates by load.

Also, what are you using to check? Only Intel's Turbo monitor tool and HWiNFO64 accurately show Turbo, in my experience.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Factory Factory posted:

Is your BIOS defaulting to operating Turbo "By All Cores?" That's an overclocking setting and almost always turned on when somebody buys an i5-2500K because it's an overclocking chip. If it is, resetting that to "Per Core" will allow different Turbo rates by load.

Also, what are you using to check? Only Intel's Turbo monitor tool and HWiNFO64 accurately show Turbo, in my experience.

While I don't have this setting in my BIOS, you got me fiddling around and I found that enabling something called "Intel C-State" (which was off by default) fixed the problem and got me 3.7 ghz for a 1-thread test. The newest version of CPU-Z works fine for this, by the way.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
All this talk of USB 3.0 makes me remember my external drives with eSATA. I'm pretty sure I never got that to work as it seems the drive needed to be attached to the computer at boot and needed to be powered by USB so it was difficult to tell if it was just connected with USB and not eSATA.

Is there a way I can use check to see if it is actually using eSATA? Is it worth it? I understand eSATA should in theory be faster than USB 2.0 (about 4x?) but in reality it may not be.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Red_Fred posted:

All this talk of USB 3.0 makes me remember my external drives with eSATA. I'm pretty sure I never got that to work as it seems the drive needed to be attached to the computer at boot and needed to be powered by USB so it was difficult to tell if it was just connected with USB and not eSATA.

Is there a way I can use check to see if it is actually using eSATA? Is it worth it? I understand eSATA should in theory be faster than USB 2.0 (about 4x?) but in reality it may not be.

eSATA should be exactly as fast as plugging it in to a regular SATA port in your computer.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Red_Fred posted:

Are you using Windows? Would the device manager show where it was connected, if you viewed devices by connection?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Install Gentoo posted:

eSATA should be exactly as fast as plugging it in to a regular SATA port in your computer.

Taking into account that the chipset that usually powers eSATA connectors is some jmicron garbage.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Bob Morales posted:

Are you using Windows? Would the device manager show where it was connected, if you viewed devices by connection?

Yeah 7. I'm not at home at the moment but will try when I get home. Is eSATA hot-swappable like USB?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Red_Fred posted:

Yeah 7. I'm not at home at the moment but will try when I get home. Is eSATA hot-swappable like USB?

It is, but on all my boards with the JMicron controller, I've had to install the JMicron drivers before hot-plug behaves properly.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Red_Fred posted:

Yeah, transfer speeds will be the big giveaway. If it's peaking around 30MB/sec then it's USB2. More like 80MB/sec and more for eSATA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Dogen posted:

Taking into account that the chipset that usually powers eSATA connectors is some jmicron garbage.

Do Intel chipsets not support eSATA natively? Does eSATA need special treatment for hotplugging and power that first party Intel/AMD chipsets don't handle?

• Locked thread