Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReptilePicasso
Jul 22, 2010

ThisQuietReverie posted:

The x100 is a camera and the X-Pro is a system you buy into. If you're invested in Nikon or Canon already, the x100 is a great everyday shooter. If you're not and the flexibility appeals, the X-Pro will probably be a great choice.

Disclosure: I love my x100 and my Canon gear sits mostly unused as I've tapered off my planned photo excursions in favor of more spontaneous, everyday happenstances or gatherings of people which is where the x100 shines. I'm still considering the X-Pro. I miss scene compression from longer focal lengths sometimes. I don't miss carrying around lenses.

I'm looking forward to learning more about the X-Pro but in the interim I'll be using the x100.

Although I've only used the X100 for only less than a month, I can confidently say that it's been doing the job, and since it's small, its been with me for quite a lot of my outings. The only thing I miss is good AF, since the X100 hunts in low light.

What also attracted me was the 35mm f/1.4 for the X-Pro, since using the 35/1.8 on my Nikon D5000 was a dream. And the fact that the AF could be improved of course.
I'm thinking about holding off on repurchasing the X100 until the price for the X-Pro is released, then preordering it if it the right price. (Please let it be around $1300) Otherwise, I'll repurchase the X100, or strongly consider the D7000 + 35mm combo if it's around $1200 at that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
The Fujiguys have put out some videos talking about the X-Pro 1. I found these two the most interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyEH4UcSSZo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk8A3Bc8R4g

ReptilePicasso
Jul 22, 2010

MediumWellDone posted:

The Fujiguys have put out some videos talking about the X-Pro 1. I found these two the most interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyEH4UcSSZo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk8A3Bc8R4g

Oh wow, I'm just amazed at how Fuji listened to the X100 owners and made the menu button huge...

Edit: Looking at part II, the Q button. That singlehandedly makes me want an X-Pro.

Edit 2: Just watching these videos have shown me how much Fuji actually listened. Small things like the exposure dial being flush with the whole top to prevent it from moving too much, the Q button, larger menu button, and the much easier interface. Brb, need to throw money at Fujifilm.

ReptilePicasso fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 10, 2012

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

ReptilePicasso posted:

Oh wow, I'm just amazed at how Fuji listened to the X100 owners

So maybe this one will focus after 1pm? :)

(I love/hate my x100)

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I may have missed it mentioned here, but....

The Fuji flange distance is 17.7mm as compared to m4/3's 20mm and e-mount's 18mm; I'm butthurt.

ReptilePicasso
Jul 22, 2010

joelcamefalling posted:

So maybe this one will focus after 1pm? :)

(I love/hate my x100)

Me too, amazing high ISO performance let down by it's subpar autofocus + useless manual focusing. :(

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Shutter speed lock button... I want one now.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

Rated PG-34 posted:

Shutter speed lock button... I want one now.

Unfortunately from the video it looks like it only locks on 'A'. This is one of the small niggles I have, but otherwise it looks like big step in the right direction.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(

MediumWellDone posted:

Unfortunately from the video it looks like it only locks on 'A'. This is one of the small niggles I have, but otherwise it looks like big step in the right direction.

I think it's perfect at locking only at A. You can still quickly change the shutter speed in M and shutter priority modes without taking your eye off the viewfinder or holding the camera awkwardly.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
So apparently the XF lenses coming out later this year will be a 14mm f/2.8 and a 18-72 f/4 IS and in 2013 we're looking at the expected 23 f/2, along with a 28 f/2.8, 72-200 f/4 IS, and a 12-24 f/4 IS. Not sure why that last one needs IS, but whatever.

So that would make the whole system equivalent: a 21mm, 27mm, 35mm, 42mm, 53mm, 90mm along with a 27-108mm, a 108-300mm, and a 18-36mm.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

Pockyless posted:

I think it's perfect at locking only at A. You can still quickly change the shutter speed in M and shutter priority modes without taking your eye off the viewfinder or holding the camera awkwardly.

I didn't think of that. I've been using an FE recently and it just seemed odd that this only locked on 'A'.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
The menus look great and the button layout has definitely benefitted from x100 feedback. I like that there seems to be thought towards not cannibalizing the line/alienating existing x100 owners, hopefully some firmware improvements trickle back to the x100.

I can see the appeal if you're looking for a compact interchangeable system because holy poo poo nothing else seems to come close. There are things I value in the x100 that give me pause though like the leaf shutter (yeah, it's stupid but the x100 spoils in this regard and dumber still, I'm not digging the X-Pro's shutter sound) and the two tone coloring (all black is stealth but the x100 is completely non-threatening with its Gandpa camouflage. Maybe Leica shooters can straighten me out on this one., I've only ever seen one Leica in the wild).

If it was silent and there were demonstrable improvements to the autofocus and manual focusing this would kill the x100 for me. I like that the X-Pro seems like a differently purposed side grade to the x100 and look forward to seeing real world images from it and seeing what the telephoto plans are.

Moonduck edit: Sign me up for some 72-200 f/4 action!

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
Heck yes for clicky 1/3 stop on lens aperture controls!

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

HPL posted:

Unless you like shooting wide open all the time, you're probably not going to be super happy with an EF-to-NEX adapter because EF lenses have no external aperture controls. There are adapters with a sort of aperture built in to them but it's not a proper aperture setup so you can get some wicked vignetting with them.

Could someone make a Canon lens adapter with electronics that allows you to control aperture? Either on the adapter itself, or through some kind of conversion to whatever the NEX has for control of it?

Could the same thing ever be done for AF?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

moonduck posted:

So apparently the XF lenses coming out later this year will be a 14mm f/2.8 and a 18-72 f/4 IS and in 2013 we're looking at the expected 23 f/2, along with a 28 f/2.8, 72-200 f/4 IS, and a 12-24 f/4 IS. Not sure why that last one needs IS, but whatever.

So that would make the whole system equivalent: a 21mm, 27mm, 35mm, 42mm, 53mm, 90mm along with a 27-108mm, a 108-300mm, and a 18-36mm.

Plus keep in mind they are doing a first party M to X adaptor (leica) as well as one of the other mods over at the X100 forum is already working with a company to do direct Contax G conversions so you can convert Contax G lenses to X mount.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ease posted:

Could someone make a Canon lens adapter with electronics that allows you to control aperture? Either on the adapter itself, or through some kind of conversion to whatever the NEX has for control of it?

Could the same thing ever be done for AF?

You can make one to control aperture but it will cost 150 and you might as well buy a MF lens from a different mount.

As for AF, I am pretty sure all AF mounts are patent to the yingyang. You have to reverse engineer like Sigma did.

Canon lens has no synergy with other mirrorless systems. You have to pray for Canon to make one.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

poopinmymouth posted:

1700 is absolutely in line with the market's offerings plus inflation and dollar devaluation. Seriously everyone said 1300 was too expensive for the X100 but enough people bought it anyway.

I mean, sure I'd love a 1,500 kit with the 50mm equiv, but this is basically a Leica M9 at 1/7 the cost.

Oh, I am not disagreeing it seems like a reasonable price, but must admit I was quite excited at the prospect of body+lens at 1300 bucks or so.

Not sure I would jump on an M9 comparison quite yet, but the camera does look very promising.

On another note, Ricoh is rumored to be putting out a new M-module for the GXR based on the NEX-5N sensor, with no AA filter. Considering how well their 12MP one performs it could be pretty spectacular.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 10, 2012

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Thors Banhammer posted:

The Fuji flange distance is 17.7mm as compared to m4/3's 20mm and e-mount's 18mm; I'm butthurt.

The Fuji mount looks smaller than the NEX mount so there's a glimmer of hope that someone might be able to make a recessed Fuji-to-NEX adapter, much like the C-mount-to-NEX adapters out there.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
The X-Pro1 is being listed for pre-order in the UK for 1,079 pounds, but that's with the 35 1.4. The direct translation is 1300 euros or $1700. That's a lot more tolerable. Maybe we'll see the body for as cheap as $1200.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

HPL posted:

The Fuji mount looks smaller than the NEX mount so there's a glimmer of hope that someone might be able to make a recessed Fuji-to-NEX adapter, much like the C-mount-to-NEX adapters out there.

If you check the comparison shots on the previous page, the Fuji mount is not smaller than NEX mount. It is just that the X-Pro1 is quite big. Much bigger than the X100.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

moonduck posted:

The X-Pro1 is being listed for pre-order in the UK for 1,079 pounds, but that's with the 35 1.4. The direct translation is 1300 euros or $1700. That's a lot more tolerable. Maybe we'll see the body for as cheap as $1200.

Who in the UK has it for preorder?

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Why would you want to mount NEX lenses anyways?

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Who in the UK has it for preorder?

http://www.expansys-usa.com/fujifilm-x-pro1+35mm-f-1-4-227647/

quote:

People are saying that they would want to adapt Fuji lenses to the NEX. That said, how do adapting fly-by-wire lenses work out considering that neither the aperture ring or focus ring do anything when not hooked up the X-Pro?

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Mightaswell posted:

I think the idea was the opposite. To mount the Fuji lenses on a NEX. It sure could use the 35mm.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

HPL posted:

Thanks. The NEX mount does looks a little wider.... on the other hand, I wouldn't put it past Fuji to make it impossible for their lenses to mount on a competitor's camera.

And then I realized

moonduck posted:

That said, how do adapting fly-by-wire lenses work out considering that neither the aperture ring or focus ring do anything when not hooked up the X-Pro?

That I don't see the point of having a manual-aperture ring that doesn't work when not attached to the camera that isn't complete bullshit.

Which is too bad, the 18mm could have been sexy-time.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Thanks, threw in a preorder, can always cancel at a later time. If it actually ships for 1079GBP I am all over it.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Thanks, threw in a preorder, can always cancel at a later time. If it actually ships for 1079GBP I am all over it.

$1400 for the kit is a price point where I might dig in once some hands on reviews mention how the AF deals. I saw mentioned somewhere that it was "comparable to the x100" but there was no source.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Shmoogy posted:

$1400 for the kit is a price point where I might dig in once some hands on reviews mention how the AF deals. I saw mentioned somewhere that it was "comparable to the x100" but there was no source.

It appears the whole internet "knows" how horrible the AF on the X100 is, yet the actual owners seem to have little trouble with it.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Clayton Bigsby posted:

It appears the whole internet "knows" how horrible the AF on the X100 is, yet the actual owners seem to have little trouble with it.

That is because we are busy complaining about the useless manual focus. :v:

The AF on the x100 is nothing to write home about but it is usable, except when it hunted focus for a straight minute. It is comparable to the 50 1.8 canon lens. Also the #1 complaint on all fuji forums is AF speed so I am not sure where you are getting the "owners have little trouble with it".

x100 is a great camera in spite of some horrible design decisions and shortcomings it has. If they made the same mistakes here with the x1-pro I will be sad. At least from the looks of it they fixed the terrible menu/dial button in the back so thats a start.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I have one, and most of the time don't have trouble with it because I know how to avoid the problems. Occasionally though, even when I use the EVF and am fairly sure it's dead on, it missed the focus (when I focus on something fairly close). Add in the fact that it's my travel camera which means my gf, her sister, waiters at restaurants, and anybody else I ask to take shots of me are supposed to just be able to point and shoot, and I end up missing some meaningful shots.

It also hunts like a mother fucker in low light.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

keyframe posted:

That is because we are busy complaining about the useless manual focus. :v:

The AF on the x100 is nothing to write home about but it is usable, except when it hunted focus for a straight minute. It is comparable to the 50 1.8 canon lens. Also the #1 complaint on all fuji forums is AF speed so I am not sure where you are getting the "owners have little trouble with it".

Well, I only talked to some X100 owners to get their take on it. Generally the camera forums are full of noise and make every little issue sound like it's some enormous, horrible flaw that makes the camera unusable, so I will admit to not paying too much attention there. :)

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

USA preorder is dead now. Looks like I got mine in just in time, though I have a feeling the price won't be honored. Fuji announced a body only price of 1700, so 1385 for body plus 35mm is probably a mistake. In fact, change the 1 to a 2 and you have 2384.99, which is more likely the actual price of that particular kit.

Ghumbs fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 10, 2012

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Ghumbs posted:

USA preorder is dead now. Looks like I got mine in just in time, though I have a feeling the price won't be honored. Fuji announced a body only price of 1700, so 1385 for body plus 35mm is probably a mistake. In fact, change the 1 to a 2 and you have 2384.99, which is more likely the actual price of that particular kit.

Well, they didn't actually announce a price at all, did they? Seems like they just guessed at 1700 based on current estimates, TBD end of the month.

The first price mentioned by one of the "leaks" was 1300 EUR with lens, which is right around 1072GBP, and would probably end up around 1300USD (since you guys have no VAT to worry about). So it is possible some retailers just ran with that and figured they would just offer you the camera at whatever price it actually ends up at later. Time will tell.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I think I need a macro lens. Every time I try to take a photo of my kitten, it tries to sniff the lens and stick its head inside the lens hood.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

HPL posted:

I think I need a macro lens. Every time I try to take a photo of my kitten, it tries to sniff the lens and stick its head inside the lens hood.
Actually, you need a dog.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Well, I only talked to some X100 owners to get their take on it. Generally the camera forums are full of noise and make every little issue sound like it's some enormous, horrible flaw that makes the camera unusable, so I will admit to not paying too much attention there. :)

The AF on the X100 is fine, it's just if you're expecting the AF to be as good as a DSLR you'll be sorely disappointed. Sure it can be frustrating at first but I make do with what I've got. Manual focus is terrible though.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
Manual focus is usable if you can back button focus on objects around you that are in the vicinity of where you want to start from. I back button focus for static things and if I'm shooting people in crowds I just hyperfocus at f/16 and try and plan ahead the best I can.

It could certainly be better (phase and not contrast) but it doesn't feel crippling. I'm much better at estimating distances now so that's a plus.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Does the X100 have focus peaking? Because focus peaking rules for manual focusing. So fast. I love how I can see the focus point move back and forth in the scene in real time.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!
I want to use my OM lenses on my E-P1.

I have a 4/3 to m4/3 adapter so was thinking I'd get an OM to 4/3 adapter and stack them, so I can use my OMs on both 4/3 and m4/3.

I know it should technically work, but will it have any significant limitations over buying a direct OM to m4/3 adapter? Other than size obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
For those people who own a NEX-3 or NEX-5, I am sure everyone of you have a motherfucking disgusting LCD cover like mine.

I followed the instruction in this page and replaced mine with some fancy Chinese knock off screen protector. This thing is really hard.

(back of the cover)

I just want to let you guys know its very easy to apply. It's much easier than a regular phone screen protector. You see the LCD screen is recess slightly so you can slot the hard cover right on to it.

voila

JYC NEX-3C screen protector $3 bucks on ebay.