Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

Rack posted:

I thought that's what he spent the better part of the segment doing until she left at the first or second break? Maybe I'm thinking of a different incident?

I don't know, as I remember it Drew really took a silent approach. Adam was attempting to call her out when he could, and it seemed Adam really tried to defer to Drew when the need arose for some medical proof. Drew simply stayed silent or didn't object. A caller and Adam both called him on it the next day, iirc. Something tells me they were told to keep it civil (as in, if she feels threatened she'll bolt), and Drew took it to mean "don't correct her".

It obviously irritated me too, as she was saying some incredibly preposterous things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
The only thing Drew did was, when she'd make some outlandish claim about the effects of birth control pills on women, he'd say "Well, I brought in this data sheet from a box of birth control pills and, if that were true, wouldn't they have to print that in here?"

That's such a lame cop out, from a guy who clearly has the medical credentials to back up what he's saying, instead of constantly referring to a data sheet from a pill packet.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
At least that episode brought us the classic Middle Eastern sounding, Colombian white supremacist NO, NOT ALRIGHT!

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
Adam called that sanctimonious blowhard bitch out on a lot of her lies and bullshit, but if he would have challenged her on everything, there would have been no show, and I think Adam knew that.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

Ez posted:

Adam called that sanctimonious blowhard bitch out on a lot of her lies and bullshit, but if he would have challenged her on everything, there would have been no show, and I think Adam knew that.

I may have to begrudgingly listen to this one again tonight. Adam pushed her buttons and tried to get her to answer straightforward questions. The pro-choice advocate, as I remember, had at least some information with her and answered questions pretty frankly.

I mean, hats off to the lady for having the guts to go on the radio for essentially a 3v1 debate, but you'd think she would have thought ahead at all for it.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Rack posted:

I may have to begrudgingly listen to this one again tonight. Adam pushed her buttons and tried to get her to answer straightforward questions. The pro-choice advocate, as I remember, had at least some information with her and answered questions pretty frankly.

I mean, hats off to the lady for having the guts to go on the radio for essentially a 3v1 debate, but you'd think she would have thought ahead at all for it.

You expect the lady who is against the right for girls to save themselves from ruining their lives has forethought and consideration?

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

You expect the lady who is against the right for girls to save themselves from ruining their lives has forethought and consideration?

Sometimes when I'm in a good mood I like to try and give people the benefit of a doubt.

Because you can't judge. Literally IMPOSSIBLE to judge.

Instrumedley
Aug 13, 2009
Anyone remember an episode where Adam does the impossible to judge other cultures rant?

Cannot judge.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The Choice/Life episode is pretty classic Loveline. If I'm remembering it correctly, she tried to hijack a few calls and got all, "do you have Jesus in your life?" with a few female callers.

Instrumedley
Aug 13, 2009
Looks like they added a "Tonight's Big Question" bit to the show...

quote:

Tonight we're talking about noise in the bedroom, and we don't mean the springs of your old mattress. Do you like when your partner makes noise? Can't stand your man's moans? Give us a call at 11pm!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Instrumedley posted:

Looks like they added a "Tonight's Big Question" bit to the show...

Pretty soon they'll have a FIFTY THOUSAND WATT FLAMETHROWER BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA CHECKIN' IN AT 64 DEGREEEEEEEEEEEEEES

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Christ, Simone provides NOTHING TO THE SHOW! She is not medically trained, and she cannot roll with Mike's awesome antics. See how terrible she is at improv in this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6MgW6cEbKs&feature=player_embedded!

edit: I came across this blurb that explains why she was allowed to crawl out of the Atlantic onto our shores like so much discarded flotsam.

DialGlobal posted:

NEW YORK, NY, December 6, 2011 - One of radio’s most successful and longest running talk shows, Loveline with Dr. Drew, has added the well-known British television and radio personality, Simone Bienne, to its cast.

Bienne joins Dr. Drew Pinsky and Mike Catherwood Sunday through Thursday, 10:00PM to midnight on great radio stations across the nation.

Bienne is a licensed sex and relationship therapist from the U.K., where her honest and insightful advice has been shared with millions via her TV shows, online blogs, and newspaper and magazine columns. She can be seen here with Dr. Drew on the CW’s “Life Changers” a daily syndicated television program.

“I’m delighted to have Simone join us on Loveline”, said Dr. Drew. “She is a welcome addition to the team. She is smart, funny, someone I respect tremendously and brings a wealth of clinical expertise particularly suited to the Loveline audience.”

Loveline is produced by Courtside Entertainment Group. Courtside managing partner Norm Pattiz commented “since taking over the program six months ago, we have committed ourselves to increasing its audience and broadening its appeal while maintaining its edgy, entertaining and irreverent approach. Loveline is an advice show like no other, and the addition of Simone will help us reach more stations, more advertisers and more audience.” “I’m thrilled to be joining Dr Drew and Mike Catherwood on Loveline. To be able to connect with so many people across America on such a great show is a dream come true. I can’t wait to help Loveline listeners find love and stay in love. And to pass on my tried and tested tips on how to add some sizzle to their sex lives will be a lot of fun,” said Bienne.

Dial Global is the exclusive distributor and national ad sales representative of Loveline.

From here

So a new company takes over running Loveline, thinks it knows its rear end from a mongoose, and adds Simone in an attempt to expand mass market appeal. To WHO?! The demo they're reaching for has never followed loveline because they're busy watching daytime TV. Meanwhile, they're alienating everyone who has no use for her trite soccer mom, cosmo bullshit.

I didn't really listen to Loveline on the daily, but was glad it was around to help young people in serious poo poo. So I'm just really annoyed at how hamfisted this ratings grab is.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 4, 2012

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Christ, Simone provides NOTHING TO THE SHOW! She is not medically trained, and she cannot roll with Mike's awesome antics. See how terrible she is at improv in this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6MgW6cEbKs&feature=player_embedded!
this ratings grab is.

My god she is horrible. She either just sits there not saying anything when Mike is doing decent comedy, when she gets an opportunity to respond and add to it she's either completely silent or just says "Uh hum... uh" or "I don't know" and loving ruins it. At the end of that clip she even starts saying "No, no, no" when Mike's talking about giving his fat wife a tattoo.

It's Yes AND bitch! My god I haven't listened to a full episode of Loveline since 2005 and now there's absolutely no reason to start.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.

Grand Fromage posted:

Pretty soon they'll have a FIFTY THOUSAND WATT FLAMETHROWER BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA CHECKIN' IN AT 64 DEGREEEEEEEEEEEEEES

What's the 50,000 watt flamethrower a reference to? Or is it just nonsense.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Fledgling Gulps posted:

What's the 50,000 watt flamethrower a reference to? Or is it just nonsense.
It's something Adam said about lovely radio stations.
They talk up the power of their signal rather than things that actually make for good listening.

Manuel
Sep 11, 2001

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

It's something Adam said about lovely radio stations.
They talk up the power of their signal rather than things that actually make for good listening.

Ohhhh, now I get it. I just thought it was some random thing he'd say.

I'LL DROP TROU

rorty
Oct 13, 2010
If anybody had any doubts I listened to the most recent episode of Giovanni's weird Loveline clips/interview podcast and he flat out says that he reported all the other Loveline sites and that LLTapes is whitelisted/allowed to exist.

His voice makes me feel weird about life.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

rorty posted:

If anybody had any doubts I listened to the most recent episode of Giovanni's weird Loveline clips/interview podcast and he flat out says that he reported all the other Loveline sites and that LLTapes is whitelisted/allowed to exist.

That makes me warm and fuzzy inside.

Wait no, that makes me want to choke this loving prick's light's out.

EDIT: http://lovelinestream.com/

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 7, 2012

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Giovanni is a fun guy, but there's a good 20% of the time where he's nuts and can't be dealt with.

He's so confrontational that he got himself banned by the source of Loveline/Carolla Show recordings from late 2004 to the podcast era.
And of course he asked to have his content pulled while freely using other people's poo poo for LLTapes and his podcast.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
So how does that work that his site is "whitelisted" but everyone else's sites are verboten? Thread's kinda long and I'm new to loveline.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Drunkboxer posted:

So how does that work that his site is "whitelisted" but everyone else's sites are verboten? Thread's kinda long and I'm new to loveline.
Giovanni has connections with Adam and Westwood Two.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Giovanni has connections with Adam and Westwood Two.

Not with Adam (because Adam doesn't know poo poo about the internet) but with Anderson, who had supposedly been supplying him the masters.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

FCKGW posted:

Not with Adam (because Adam doesn't know poo poo about the internet) but with Anderson, who had supposedly been supplying him the masters.

Instead of going to Adam, Giovanni contacts Dr. Bruce, and Lynette, Adam's wife for stuff.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I am in shock and awe, oh wait, nope.

Giovanni is the sperg he comes off as, hmmmmmm.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Well, this new format seems to be working out tremendously...

91x, a long time supporter of the show has pulled the plug.

facebook posted:

91X - San Diego: Sorry, it's not coming back anytime soon. It was a tough decision but one that will perhaps open up new listening opportunities for 91X as a whole and our listeners as well. It's tough to take it in we know...but for the time we will be loveline-less

If 91x and many of the other major radio networks are following this trend, the show may not last until 2013.

I hate to say it but at least Westwood nOne never hosed up this badly.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Is Loveline no longer a Westwood One production?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That's nuts, 91X is the station that like every episode is recorded from.

crisco, no. Some assfarts bought it and are RADIOING IT UP by adding Simone and whatnot. SEVENTY-ONE DEGREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

IceLicker posted:

Well, this new format seems to be working out tremendously...

91x, a long time supporter of the show has pulled the plug.

If 91x and many of the other major radio networks are following this trend, the show may not last until 2013.

I hate to say it but at least Westwood nOne never hosed up this badly.

Ah so that's what Anderson meant on the After Disaster when he said we do not speak that station's name. That's a real bummer, Loveline got me through highschool, and it sucks to think that it won't be a dial away. But to be honest, the show was unlistenable at this point anyway. It's sad. I would say it serves courtside right for taking it in this direction, but they don't give a gently caress, it's the hosts and us that will suffer, they'll just write off the loss guilt free since they never loving cared in the first place.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Do Drew's muscles count as another host? Goddamn why is he so ripped.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Do Drew's muscles count as another host? Goddamn why is he so ripped.

Passionate, passionate, passionate, passionate, passionate, passionate, passionate, passionate, passionate...

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
They've basically taken what made loveline awesome, that it was terrible radio (but still hugely entertaining), and ruined it. I don't really like Mike as a host compared to Adam, but he is ok. Drew is still Drew. Simone + the "question of the day" + every other change has really shown that the people that bought it had no idea why it was successful.

Ah well, there's always the archives.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Not if Giovanni has anything to say about that...

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Jubs posted:

Everybody needs to download the torrent. I have it all burned on DVD, in it's own little cd book, it's beautiful. That spergy, fat gently caress can never take that from me.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Jubs posted:

Why, is he taking that away from us, too?

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

criscodisco posted:

Why, is he taking that away from us, too?

rorty posted:

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

They've basically taken what made loveline awesome, that it was terrible radio (but still hugely entertaining), and ruined it. I don't really like Mike as a host compared to Adam, but he is ok. Drew is still Drew. Simone + the "question of the day" + every other change has really shown that the people that bought it had no idea why it was successful.

You would think that Drew in his vast pools of intellect, experience, PASSION and now thanks to HLN an modicum of media savvy would stand up or something to the new management. yeah he's not going to stand up.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I wonder if Loveline foolishly charges more for syndication now.

Adam made a big stink about 91X producing their own morning show even after he had a decade of success with Loveline.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just got an email that the owner of loveline.com is going to be selling the domain soon.

Anyone wanna get a pool going? :v:

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Ah so that's what Anderson meant on the After Disaster when he said we do not speak that station's name. That's a real bummer, Loveline got me through highschool, and it sucks to think that it won't be a dial away. But to be honest, the show was unlistenable at this point anyway. It's sad. I would say it serves courtside right for taking it in this direction, but they don't give a gently caress, it's the hosts and us that will suffer, they'll just write off the loss guilt free since they never loving cared in the first place.

What episode of the after disaster was this? I must listen to it. I kind of stopped listening to the after disaster a while back but always found it awkwardly entertaining. I don't know specifically if that is the station he was referring to but I'm away from San Diego right now and heard about it from some friends who live there before I checked it out on their page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

IceLicker posted:

What episode of the after disaster was this? I must listen to it. I kind of stopped listening to the after disaster a while back but always found it awkwardly entertaining. I don't know specifically if that is the station he was referring to but I'm away from San Diego right now and heard about it from some friends who live there before I checked it out on their page.

I'm pretty sure it was on the latest episode, if not then for sure the one before it. And yeah he specifically refers to 91X, because Mike lives in San Diego a lot of the time and he is over at that station once in a while. I totally recommend the after disaster, it's of those shows I get excited about seeing in my download queue. However it is totally full of inside jokes and rewards those who have listened for a while. I have a post in this very thread where I complain about that loving cannon, but I have come to love and need that cannon.

• Locked thread