Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Doc Uzuki posted:

Indeed, over here in the colonies we have but a single math.

Is it multiplication? Division?

God I hope it's not powers or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
I was under the impression that the Lalondes were always English.

She said "Petrol" as well.

SwimmingSpider fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jan 10, 2012

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Strongylocentrotus posted:

She'll place the departed in a small box, stand in the rain all day, and then get drunk and pass out on the couch, of course.

ROSE-MOM: Dear, shouldn't we let Jaspers decompose under a bed of petunias like a normal cat?
RO--: no mom we gotsta do this porperly
RO--: *proprely
RO--: *ugh jsut get the taxixdremy kit and tiny coffin plz

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Rhinoceraptor posted:

Also it's implied that momRose is this universe's J.K. Rowling. Calling it, her wizard fanfic went global and now she's the wizard maven.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Cleretic posted:

At the very least, in the Southeast, it sure ain't integration.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

When I was younger I was adamant that "it's really all the same math" was the proper response to this, but now I tend to favor the explanation that (a) "mathematics" can be singular anyway despite the "s", and (b) "maths" just kind of sounds doofy and awkward anyway.

Plus if you guys are allowed to collectively refer to all sports as "sport", we should be able to do the same thing with math. :colbert:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Calling it now, Ro- Lalonde has no real attachment to Jaspers, but her mother does.

And the reason pre-scratch Jaspers had such an elaborate corpse party, and why nobody could find out what happened was because Mom did it and covered it all up, then had a huge corpse party due to guilt.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Or the theory that all the kids somehow grow up to be the other kids guardians and vice versa through time shenanigans is true. If that is the case, it would explain why Mom went all out on Jasper's funeral. She felt guilty. :(

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

loquacius posted:

When I was younger I was adamant that "it's really all the same math" was the proper response to this, but now I tend to favor the explanation that (a) "mathematics" can be singular anyway despite the "s", and (b) "maths" just kind of sounds doofy and awkward anyway.

Plus if you guys are allowed to collectively refer to all sports as "sport", we should be able to do the same thing with math. :colbert:

Maybe we like sounding awkward and doofy. :wotwot:

Also 'sport' is just to refer to the existence of sports as a whole or the concept of competition, if there's a bunch of sports going on somewhere we'd still say sports. Probably. jk we make it all up as we go along and talk awkwardly to produce the appearance of having the slightest loving clue what we're doing

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

You guys aren't thinking 5th dimensionally enough.

In Universe-B1, Mom arrived with Vodka Mutini long ago, and Jaspers may very well be the (less mutated) offspring of VM. Then Jaspers was appearified somewhere, and, later, reappeared, dead.

In Universe-B2, Ro__ Lalonde arrived only a few years ago, also with a copy of Vodka Mutini, and thus hasn't had time to "breed" a Jaspers yet. There should be no Jaspers.

And Ro__ is confirmed to have appearifier tech. She probably grabbed B1-Jaspers and just accidentally killed him, and is going to dump him in the universe she found him in (B1).

...and, wait, if VM is what fostered Ro__'s interest in science, the reason she disappeared Jaspers, that one copy of VM would create Jaspers, and another would get him killed. And getting him killed is what got him created.

Yeesh, if I'm right, this is the most convoluted ectobiology history yet!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Everything seems pretty clear to me, except for maybe what B2 Mom is doing with a frozen Mutini as well as why she threw it through that fourth wall-like device in the last flash.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cleretic posted:

We all suffer from a severe septomin deficiency, so we have to make do with just M.A.T.H.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Mutini was on the meteor with her. That's the Mutini Rose found in the lab, so the origin of that one is still unconfirmed - I think it's probably a perfect paradox clone, though.

The frozen Mutini is probably the one B2 Ro arrived with, but that doesn't explain why he gets thrown through that window. That'll probably have to wait for more context. We have no word on what B1 Mom did with her Mutini, although perhaps Jaspers is an imperfect clone that somehow managed to mutate into a normal cat. :pseudo:

Like some others above, I think it's likely that a) Ro's cat here is Jaspers during his absence from Rose's life and b) he just got sassacred and she'll be sending him back. Not sure why she has him in the first place, but probably it's sort of like how B2 Jake kept accidentally stealing B1 Jade's pumpkins.

Android Blues posted:

Also it's implied that momRose is this universe's J.K. Rowling. Calling it, her wizard fanfic went global and now she's the wizard maven.

I hope this means Ro will be prototyping some sweet Zazzerpan morch.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rhinoceraptor posted:

Actually the petrol line was a Sassacre reference.

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=001969

"Land sakes alive, we are cooking with petrol now!"

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Regy Rusty posted:

Actually the petrol line was a Sassacre reference.

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=001969

"Land sakes alive, we are cooking with petrol now!"

That line always makes me think of that relentlessly dumb Doom comic. Sweet Christmas! Big-mouthed floaty thingies!

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.
We haven't heard anything about the life of B2-Jade, have we? Jane mentioned that they're all related to someone famous. John was a comedian, Rose is an author and Dave is a director. I'm curious to know about Jade now.

Doc Uzuki posted:

We all suffer from a severe septomin deficiency, so we have to make do with just M.A.T.H.

This is the best reference. :hfive:

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
According to this page, B2 Jade was a "globe trotting adventuress" but also ran a company to compete with the Batterwitch's empire, unsuccessfully. Don't think we've heard anything about her beyond the "forced into exile" part, which might refer to the island but then again might not. (It's possible that the ruined state of the various non-temple buildings on the islands is due to her defeat. In which case... I don't know. Maybe we'll see her 1111 years in B2 Earth's future. :v:)

Hamiltonian Bicycle fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 10, 2012

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
In other news I finally got my Homestuck book today (only took a month to get to the Land of Riots and Royalty!)! The only problem is I specifically remember buying the signed copy yet I don't see a signature or any other such author mark anywhere.

What do I do? :ohdear:

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

FaceTime posted:

In other news I finally got my Homestuck book today (only took a month to get to the Land of Riots and Royalty!)! The only problem is I specifically remember buying the signed copy yet I don't see a signature or any other such author mark anywhere.

What do I do? :ohdear:

http://topatoco.com/help/

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

Done and done!

Next question is what's their customer service like?!

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

FaceTime posted:

Done and done!

Next question is what's their customer service like?!

Supposedly pretty good. If you ordered a signed book and got an unsigned one by accident I think they send you a signed bookplate you can stick in the book.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

So, on the subject a couple pages ago of music, I guess I have an idea to pan to you all. Since I'm trying to jump into actually making music(which I think I have at least a good idea of what I want to do, but I need to commit how it's going to work on paper first) and it's going about as well as you think. Does anyone have any major hottips for working on FL Studio? In particular, I'd move to figure out how to manipulate the piano and organ, since I'm working on at least trying to compose a more... not necessarily cool but "action-y" John-style song, since we don't really have much of that officially, barring ol' Showtime and Heir Conditioning.

What do you guys think?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
You might want to check out this website for tips on using FL Studio. It's got tons of information and resources. Image-Line also has tons of video tutorials, although I believe you need to have an account to see them.

Pianos and organs are very expressive and have a wide variety of range, so you've picked good instruments to focus on. I'd suggest looking at some videos of people playing them to see what their limitations are. The organ, for example, has a lot of range because the performer has foot pedals in addition to the keys he can manipulate with his fingers (meaning an organist can theoretically hit 12 notes at the same time, one for each finger and both feet, although unless he has really long and flexible fingers most of those notes will be very close together).

Also I started a Tumblr for all my future musical exploits, Homestuck-themed and otherwise. I christened it with not a bottle of red wine smashed against the hull, but with the second draft of Heirstrike.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Toby Fox also has a beginner's tutorial for FL on his website.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Bobulus posted:

There is apparently a "Know your Meme" page for Homestuck, and that security guard picture is on it.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/subcultures/homestuck

Along with some...other stuff.

I will never get tired of this picture. Sums up the Homestuck community, and a normal person's reaction to, in one complete image. That guard has seen some poo poo, man.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Isizzlehorn posted:

I will never get tired of this picture. Sums up the Homestuck community, and a normal person's reaction to, in one complete image. That guard has seen some poo poo, man.

I also like the one where it's the two folks cosplaying Jake and Jane (at an IHOP, I think?) and one of the waitresses in the back is gesturing to them in a seemingly incredulous manner, with the caption, "WHAT THE gently caress IS HOMESTUCK?"

I think that picture came out within a day or two of Jake's introduction and the speed of the fandom floored me in that moment.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

graybook posted:

I think that picture came out within a day or two of Jake's introduction and the speed of the fandom floored me in that moment.

I seem to remember it coming out the same day.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Isizzlehorn posted:

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Wait... someone cosplayed the security guard and now there is fanart of him in that cosplay?

I often hate the homestuck fandom for being terrible about liking something I like but that is glorious.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Rhinoceraptor posted:

The Lalonde household's coordinates are North 44.519 and West 74.820. In upstate New York.

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002775

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

RickoniX posted:

This is the best thing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Back in November my girlfriend told me she saw "one of those candy corn aliens" on a bus in Portland. I asked her what zodiac sign was on his shirt and she said it didn't look like any of the signs. Also there weren't any cons in town that week. So, someone cosplaying a fantroll, without even a con or Halloween as an excuse.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Doc Uzuki posted:

Back in November my girlfriend told me she saw "one of those candy corn aliens" on a bus in Portland. I asked her what zodiac sign was on his shirt and she said it didn't look like any of the signs. Also there weren't any cons in town that week. So, someone cosplaying a fantroll, without even a con or Halloween as an excuse.

Goddammit, Homestuck fanbase...

Sometimes you seriously make me ashamed to like a webcomic.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Who What Now posted:

Crazy will be crazy, no matter its focus.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Who What Now posted:

There's a pretty good chance they have their own webcomic on tumblr or drunkduck that steals the mspa concept and is just about trolls loving in buckets or w/e, so at least it's only marginally related (hopefully).

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~
I'm just choosing to believe she mistook the zodiac sign for something else by accident

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
So apparently Bro Strider is EVEN MORE Hussie like than Dave was, which is an impressive thing, considering.

Edit: Next few posts reminded me I should probably link this again for everyone because of it's admirable hilarity attribute and relevance to current events: Wizardology

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 11, 2012

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Hahahahah, Bro is the best.

"Vile slurs omitted."

Also, update.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

I would read the entire Pony Pals series abridged by Di-- Strider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Oh my God, it's Hussie's wizard book vandalism come back to life.