Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Lone Rogue posted:

To be fair, 2/3rd of wrestlers are wrestlers because they failed at something. That includes Rock and Austin.

Both were football rejects right? Rock and Austin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

ColeM posted:

Both were football rejects right? Rock and Austin.

Correct. Austin even had a football player gimmick in his first few matches.

At one point in the WWF, likely because Jim Ross is a football enthusiast, most guys in the WWF were football rejects.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lone Rogue posted:

Correct. Austin even had a football player gimmick in his first few matches.

At one point in the WWF, likely because Jim Ross is a football enthusiast, most guys in the WWF were football rejects.

Wrestling has always attracted football players (both failed and guys looking for a new job) - big beefy dudes who like being the center of attention and performing, it's not a big surprise there is a crossover.

Down Right Fierce
Jan 30, 2011
Also getting the poo poo knocked out of them/knocking the poo poo out of other people.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Jerusalem posted:

Wrestling has always attracted football players (both failed and guys looking for a new job) - big beefy dudes who like being the center of attention and performing, it's not a big surprise there is a crossover.

It always surprised me how very few hockey players transition to wrestling, or rather successfully.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lone Rogue posted:

It always surprised me how very few hockey players transition to wrestling, or rather successfully.

"Okay next we're going to show you how to punch somebody without hurting them."
"I quit."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Not to mention Ernie Ladd setting a precedent for being able to do both to a high level.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

"Okay next we're going to show you how to punch somebody without hurting them."
"I quit."

:lol:

Does Jericho count? Did he play junior hockey?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LordPants posted:

Does Jericho count? Did he play junior hockey?

Not at all. If memory serves, he got into wrestling in his late teens and never went to college.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
It stands to reason that every Canadian wrestler played at least some level of hockey, but I can't think of any who played at a level as high as junior.

Most failed junior players end up pursuing mma, golf or poker. I have no stats to support that statement, just observations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Timby posted:

Not at all. If memory serves, he got into wrestling in his late teens and never went to college.

Fair enough I just figured Canadian + Dad NHL player. etc.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Incorrect, Jericho went to a Winnipeg CC and got a journalism diploma.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gaz-L posted:

Not to mention Ernie Ladd setting a precedent for being able to do both to a high level.

Wahoo McDaniel had a decent NFL career too, as I understand it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Timby posted:

He got a 2-year degree while waiting to turn 18 so the Hart camp would take him.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Incorrect, Jericho went to a Winnipeg CC and got a journalism diploma.

Because Jesse Ventura told him to! :eng101:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

When did the Undertaker become the general backstage? And since he isn't there much anymore (I assume), is there a new person who all the wrestlers look up to?

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I remember a story about a hockey player who was brought in to ref a match, and when he asked how to pull a punch, the match participants snickered and told him not to worry about it. I want to say it was Saggs of the Nasty Boys.

So when the time for the spot comes, the guys pulls Saggs' shirt over his head and lays three vicious uppercuts into him, drat near knocking him the gently caress out cold.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Spikeguy posted:

When did the Undertaker become the general backstage? And since he isn't there much anymore (I assume), is there a new person who all the wrestlers look up to?
This is probably a question that only WWE workers could answer.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Critical posted:

I remember a story about a hockey player who was brought in to ref a match, and when he asked how to pull a punch, the match participants snickered and told him not to worry about it. I want to say it was Saggs of the Nasty Boys.

So when the time for the spot comes, the guys pulls Saggs' shirt over his head and lays three vicious uppercuts into him, drat near knocking him the gently caress out cold.

Dave "The Hammer" Schultz in WCW.

E-Diddy
Mar 30, 2004
I'm both hot and bothered

Critical posted:

I found it:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x205cz_nasty-boys-vs-cactus-jack-kevin-sul_sport#rel-page-1

It was at Slamboree '94 and happens around the 4:00 mark. Just from watching it a bit, the match looked pretty brutal.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Spikeguy posted:

Supposedly, Triple H and Shawn Michaels pulled Sheamus and Drew McIntyre aside and told them that it was Randy Orton's locker room now. Not sure if that means Orton is Undertaker now or if Orton is what Triple H and Shawn Michaels used to be.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Lone Rogue posted:

If Garrett had worked the indies I might respect him. Instead, he's going the easy route with getting TV time on TNA.

I got a lot more respect for guys like Ted Dibiase who actually worked in Japan and in small indies around his home before going to the WWE development system.

Have you WATCHED SPIKE Tv lately? Garrett is practically on the indies.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Why would you insult the indies like that? :mad:

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lone Rogue posted:

Supposedly, Triple H and Shawn Michaels pulled Sheamus and Drew McIntyre aside and told them that it was Randy Orton's locker room now. Not sure if that means Orton is Undertaker now or if Orton is what Triple H and Shawn Michaels used to be.

Orton looks out for the underneath guys (so does Cena, to varying degrees), so it is his locker room in that sense. Why HHH and Shawn get to decide whose locker room it is, I have no idea.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

CombineThresher posted:

Orton looks out for the underneath guys (so does Cena, to varying degrees), so it is his locker room in that sense. Why HHH and Shawn get to decide whose locker room it is, I have no idea.

Because they're the Kliq and they do poo poo like that?

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

CombineThresher posted:

It reads to me that you have a pair of vets acknowedging that the time of The Undertaker as THE locker room leader is formally over and that this tradition is falling on Orton to set the tone. This is more of guys showing respect and passing a torch then anything nefarious.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

CombineThresher posted:

Probably the story is more "give the guy some respect, he's the guy who goes to bat for you," rather than "this is the way it is, shut up." HHH is a human shovel, but doesn't everyone still say he loves the business? I can't see him loving with the locker room if so.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Dead Snoopy posted:

It reads to me that you have a pair of vets acknowedging that the time of The Undertaker as THE locker room leader is formally over and that this tradition is falling on Orton to set the tone. This is more of guys showing respect and passing a torch then anything nefarious.

Yeah, the only way I took it nefarious was them telling Drew and Sheamus this because Drew and Sheamus are in their ear and Orton goes by the beat of his own drum.

He gained his reputation backstage for having some clout and sticking up to HHH in front of everyone.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Lone Rogue posted:

Yeah, the only way I took it nefarious was them telling Drew and Sheamus this because Drew and Sheamus are in their ear and Orton goes by the beat of his own drum.

He gained his reputation backstage for having some clout and sticking up to HHH in front of everyone.

Do you know how he stuck up to HHH?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Spikeguy posted:

Do you know how he stuck up to HHH?

I had to search google since this was stuff from a few years ago. No idea of the sources.

quote:

During the Iraq show, Umaga was getting new tights made, and the seamstress said he couldn't use certain colors because they were "Hunter's colors." Umaga insisted anyways. When Shawn Michaels saw the tights, he threw a fit. Orton, then stood up for Umaga, in front of everyone.

I also recall something about Triple H burying someone on TV and Orton calling him on it in the locker room in front of everyone. Hunter tried to brush it off as a joke or something and then left the locker. I think it was around 2009. Again, might all be bullshit but if you do a search for Orton "locker room leader" you'll see a few links mentioning how he stood up to HHH and HBK.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Did batista ever have a MMA match? He seemed to tease it for a while but never followed through

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Manwithastick posted:

Did batista ever have a MMA match? He seemed to tease it for a while but never followed through

No, although he's reportedly reached a pretty advanced level of training since that's what he does now. Most of the ridiculous money marks have went out of business or been absorbed by Zuffa, Batista never got a financially viable offer.

Shadalator
Oct 22, 2005

I hate her so much. Vince could've married some young hot gold digger, bought her everything she ever wanted, and still saved tens of millions of dollars. Instead he married an old dumb zombie woman who kicked JR in the nuts. What a bitch

jeffersonlives posted:

No, although he's reportedly reached a pretty advanced level of training

I highly doubt that

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Critical posted:

The way I heard the story, it was very good natured on everybody's part, and Saggs got knocked loopy but he didn't have a problem with it at all (he was probably loving delighted!).

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Jerusalem posted:

The way I heard the story, it was very good natured on everybody's part, and Saggs got knocked loopy but he didn't have a problem with it at all (he was probably loving delighted!).

I met Jerry Saggs when I was like six. Unlike Knobbs, Saggs wasn't a complete dick.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

jeffersonlives posted:

No, although he's reportedly reached a pretty advanced level of training since that's what he does now. Most of the ridiculous money marks have went out of business or been absorbed by Zuffa, Batista never got a financially viable offer.
Wouldn't be surprised to see Batista pimp out the next season of The Ultimate Fighter-type show.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Flameingblack posted:

Wouldn't be surprised to see Batista pimp out the next season of The Ultimate Fighter-type show.

That'd probably be a good role for him. If the Bellator reality show (and you know there'll be one) has a role for a host or even a regular announcer, Batista would do fine there.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

That'd probably be a good role for him. If the Bellator reality show (and you know there'll be one) has a role for a host or even a regular announcer, Batista would do fine there.
I'm talking about as a competitor, not a host. It would be almost like seeing a Kimbo Slice or a Brock Lesner on the show, something that fans are interested in.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Has anyone ever run with a gimmick where they steal their opponent's moves consistently. So an "Anything you can do I can do better" style thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Lone Rogue posted:

During the Iraq show, Umaga was getting new tights made, and the seamstress said he couldn't use certain colors because they were "Hunter's colors." Umaga insisted anyways. When Shawn Michaels saw the tights, he threw a fit. Orton, then stood up for Umaga, in front of everyone.

I wonder if that tied into this somehow: