Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
I've been doing the lessons and beginners songs, but I've also been learning riffs and easy songs that I like on the side, just to keep motivated while playing relatively boring stuff from the beginner songbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
melodic exercises aren't any more fun than chord exercises. Might as well eat your brussels sprouts and do both.

cactuscarpet
Sep 12, 2011

I don't even know what rasta means.

Vincent Valentine posted:

Single-note patterns are okay too, and it doesn't have to be some super-famous song or musician, just something to learn with.

Try some 60s guitar/surf groups, like The Shadows, The Ventures or The Surfaris. Always fun little ditties to play, either on your own or with a guitar playing buddy.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Anyone ever experiment with string dampeners? Are they significantly better than just using a hair-tie?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I am getting into guitar, and just PCS'd to South Korea...leaving my guitar behind until the movers ship it to me. My things aren't slated to arrive until March, but I want something to play around with until then so i don't completely lose what little bit I learned before having to leave. Is picking up a cheap travel guitar worth it, or should I just suck it up and wait?

I really miss it already, and have also considered a classical guitar or mandolin to play with until my acoustic gets here. I really just want something with strings to play, but don't want to "double-dip" on an acoustic guitar, I guess. Any suggestions to cure my guitar withdrawal?

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

cactuscarpet posted:

Try some 60s guitar/surf groups, like The Shadows, The Ventures or The Surfaris. Always fun little ditties to play, either on your own or with a guitar playing buddy.

I went through a lot of old surf songs and settled on a few. They aren't hard, but they're difficult enough to be challenging and fun enough to play that I'm not getting bored. It's been years since I heard any of them so I kind of forgot they existed, so thanks for the suggestion it really helps.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Any particular acoustics I should give a good look at specifically for folk/fingerstyle stuff?

My last martin got smashed by my brother when moving apartments (dont go there) and I need to replace it.

Budget is flexible. $1000 - 2000.

I like warm / full tones. I'd just go play a ton but I moved pretty far from any good guitar shops, so some direction at least would be helpful.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Could I buy an electro acoustic and just use it as an acoustic, or would it have worse sound quality or something than a plain acoustic? There are very few left handed acoustics and a built in tuner also sounds handy!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My old roommate had an Alvarez electric acoustic and it sounded great on it's own, I actually don't think I ever saw him plug it in.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
This looks perfect in that case, unless anyone knows otherwise?

Infinite Monkeys fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 9, 2012

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
How would one go about reducing the volume of an accoustic? I was thinking of buying a feedback reducer (or whatever those rubber plugs are called) but I don't know how efficient it would be? Any homemade solution that wouldn't be too much of an hassle to put on/remove and wouldn't risk damaging the guitar?

My neighbors haven't yet complained that I play horribly for 30 minutes to 1 hour every day and I'd like to make sure it stays that way. Last year the apartment just over mine had a guy playing guitar semi-regularly in it and we could hear every not ring perfectly. It was quite enjoyable because he was good but it would have been torture if he would have sucked and I don't want to force that on everyone.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 10, 2012

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Rolo posted:

My old roommate had an Alvarez electric acoustic and it sounded great on it's own, I actually don't think I ever saw him plug it in.

I own two electric acoustics and the biggest reason I own them is the built in tuner. I've had one for 2 years and still have never plugged it in.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

KingColliwog posted:

Reducing acoustic volume.

From what I've read the best two options are to just play without a pick or to block the sound hole somehow, I don't know if that includes the rubber plug thing you were talking about.

I've only played solid body electrics but lately I've been practicing a lot of chord work and strumming, so I think I'm going to pick up a cheapo Ibanez or Epiphone acoustic. Am I wasting my money if I only drop like 130 bucks on one? It'll just be something to dick around with when I don't want to plug anything in.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Rolo posted:

From what I've read the best two options are to just play without a pick or to block the sound hole somehow, I don't know if that includes the rubber plug thing you were talking about.

I've only played solid body electrics but lately I've been practicing a lot of chord work and strumming, so I think I'm going to pick up a cheapo Ibanez or Epiphone acoustic. Am I wasting my money if I only drop like 130 bucks on one? It'll just be something to dick around with when I don't want to plug anything in.

With an acoustic there's no excuse not to go around to your local guitar stores and try them out till you find one that sounds good for that price. They exist, you just won't know until you play them.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLiZ0jCzpdA

Can anyone help me with one of the chord shapes (on the first song)

I see an obvious Amin, and C/G, but I cant tell on that third one. I think its a Gsus4, but anyone verify sanity for me?

edit: Just incase anyone cares at all; it is indeed Gsus4 after finally getting home to my guitar

Walked fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 11, 2012

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

KingColliwog posted:

How would one go about reducing the volume of an accoustic? I was thinking of buying a feedback reducer (or whatever those rubber plugs are called) but I don't know how efficient it would be? Any homemade solution that wouldn't be too much of an hassle to put on/remove and wouldn't risk damaging the guitar?

I haven't done this myself, but a friend of mine was saying that he's done just this by filling the body with cotton balls, essentially. They'll trap a lot of sound and basically dampen it. He was saying he did this as a solution to the feedback problem on an acoustic/electric but I imagine it would also do a fair job of dampening the volume.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Rolo posted:

Paramemetic posted:

I haven't done this myself, but a friend of mine was saying that he's done just this by filling the body with cotton balls, essentially. They'll trap a lot of sound and basically dampen it. He was saying he did this as a solution to the feedback problem on an acoustic/electric but I imagine it would also do a fair job of dampening the volume.

Thanks a lot, I'll go with the feedback plug route first since it's only 5-6$ and very convenient. The cotton balls thing is cool too, but it would be quite a hassle and not very practical if I want to alternate between dampened and not.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I have a book on flamenco that has everything in sheet music. Is there a site online that I can look at to try to translate it?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

http://www.musictheory.net/lessons might help - basically you're going to have to read music here, but it's not that hard to learn. Learning to do it quickly and consistently is the harder part!

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Help.

I am rather solid at all things fingerstle (nowhere near good, but I can comfortably finish songs).

I cant strum to save my life. 16th notes = hosed.

Any particular exercises / things I can do to improve my ability to strum faster?
Or am I in for a world for hating life with a metronome for a while? (obvious answer I suppose)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Metronome will be your best bet, but one thing I like to do is play 8ths and occasionally throw in some 16ths, so you are doing short bursts at full speed but not for so long that you can't keep it up.

What exactly are you trying to play? Are you struggling with the upstrums, or just moving fast enough, or keeping time or what?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Walked posted:

Help.

I am rather solid at all things fingerstle (nowhere near good, but I can comfortably finish songs).

I cant strum to save my life. 16th notes = hosed.

Any particular exercises / things I can do to improve my ability to strum faster?
Or am I in for a world for hating life with a metronome for a while? (obvious answer I suppose)

I'm assuming you are ok with 8th notes. So if you can do 8th's at 120bpm, thats 16th's at 60bpm (and 4th's at 240bpm) so just do it like that. Play 8ths at 120bpm for a bit, drop your counting down to 60bpm and play at the same speed, count it 1 e + a, and there you go, you're playing 16ths.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Can someone school me up on the Stratocaster?

There's about a billion variations on this (Standard, Blacktop, Roadhouse, Lone Star, Classic, American Special, and then all the Artist Series ones) and then I hear stuff like American strats, Mexican strats, etc.

If I go buy one, what should I be looking for?

Are there any good strat clones (not just in shape, but in sound)?

Also, I've noticed there are quite a few variations on the pickups (humbucker + 2 single coils, 2 humbuckers, etc). Is there a standard setup?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I like typing poo poo so I'll keep chatting until someone who's actually informed shows up!

The standard Strat configuration is three single-coils, some of the others (like the Lone Star) throw in humbuckers instead which gives a very different tone, I don't know if they'd be considered 'the classic Strat sound' but it gives you some other options. They'll have some other features too. Have a look through this crap for a general idea:

http://www.fender.com/en-GB/products/index.php?bodyShape=Stratocaster%C2%AE&section=guitars (click the series links on the left)

American and Mexican strats are just made in different countries - I think some models are only made in a particular place, but generally the difference is manufacturing quality. People always talk about the American ones being best because of the attention to detail, sometimes the materials and components and so on, but you'll notice people saying that Mexican (MIM, Made In Mexico) and Japanese and Korean factories are turning out really high-quality instruments now, so you can get a great guitar at a lower price. This is just general babble so look up some reviews and try out some instruments, but yeah. What's your budget?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

KingColliwog posted:

Thanks a lot, I'll go with the feedback plug route first since it's only 5-6$ and very convenient. The cotton balls thing is cool too, but it would be quite a hassle and not very practical if I want to alternate between dampened and not.

So I just bought it and tried it quickly. It works very well and is very easy to put in/remove. The guitar still has quite a bit of volume, but it will help make sure it doesn't annoy my neighbours.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
What's a good and not super expensive metronome? I really need to buckle down and use one regularly, but I don't care for my iPhone app and am bewildered by the myriad options online.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's a metronome, it's a bit of quartz (sometimes) and a piezoelectric speaker, just get whatever's cheap and has the range of BPM you want.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

ibntumart posted:

What's a good and not super expensive metronome? I really need to buckle down and use one regularly, but I don't care for my iPhone app and am bewildered by the myriad options online.

What iPhone app are you using? There's got to be hundreds of metronome apps. I use and love Guitar Toolkit.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Korg MA-30 is pretty sweet.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I like my Korg TM40. It has a tuner and metronome.

You can use both at the same time (It has a guitar input and a mic for tuning) so when I am playing scales I can see the notes as they are played to a metronome beat. I also use it for when I do fretboard learning exercises to make sure I'm hitting the correct notes. Added to that, I can then enable the metronome to learn notes at a set tempo as well. (Ie. Play all the B notes on each string, in order, at 40bpm, starting from low E to high E and back down.)

I never realized how handy having a dual purpose device could come in so handy. Just throwing that out there. Metronomes are a huge turbo boost to playing speed and memorization I've found.

$23 on Amazon, $30 at Guitar Center.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 14, 2012

crm
Oct 24, 2004

baka kaba posted:

What's your budget?

Under a thousand.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Would I regret a Marauder over a regular Strat as my first 'own' guitar?

Jamz
May 12, 2007

Galoomp!

crm posted:

Under a thousand.

Something worth keeping in mind, while an American standard will be around the limit of your budget, they've got much better resale potential than a Mexican made if you decide you want something different down the track. On that note, have you checked second hand prices in your area?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Jamz posted:

On that note, have you checked second hand prices in your area?

Craigslist in my area always seems to have a LOT of American Strat and Teles up for sale from family guys who just gave up playing after they found out how much practice you really need to put into it. Near mint for $500-700 compared to $1000ish new.

Except for the guys who went all out and got a signature model and expect their money back.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 16, 2012

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Another question - I've got an Ibanez Artcore AS73 and I'd like to make it sound better.

Aside from strings (I'm using D'Addario) what can I do to improve it? I'm guessing pickups are the single best option, what would you guys recommend?

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

crm posted:

Another question - I've got an Ibanez Artcore AS73 and I'd like to make it sound better.

Aside from strings (I'm using D'Addario) what can I do to improve it? I'm guessing pickups are the single best option, what would you guys recommend?
Pickups, tuning machines, shielding, pots, caps, rewiring and a good setup are all options depending on what you want to do with it. Or you could just play it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Your amp's kinda the important thing, everyone always says a crap guitar will still sound good through a decent amp, but not the other way around. Pickups can change the sound of the guitar quite a lot, plus the actual type of strings you use (different brands and different materials - D'Addario have a bunch).

Don't forget to play with your amp's knobs too, and don't scoop the mids too much. What don't you like about it as it is?

crm
Oct 24, 2004

baka kaba posted:

Your amp's kinda the important thing, everyone always says a crap guitar will still sound good through a decent amp, but not the other way around. Pickups can change the sound of the guitar quite a lot, plus the actual type of strings you use (different brands and different materials - D'Addario have a bunch).

Don't forget to play with your amp's knobs too, and don't scoop the mids too much. What don't you like about it as it is?

Hahah my biggest problem is that I hear it next to my teacher's G&L Legacy and it pales in comparison :D

I've got a Mustang I amp (got all the neat modeling, but...) so that might be a good option to upgrade.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gl-tribute-series-legacy-hb-electric-guitar--black/502722000001000

On this - what does the "1-Tone w/ Push/Pull to split coil of bridge humbucker" mean?

crm fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 18, 2012

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Picked myself up a strat the other day, I couldn't honestly tell you the tonal difference between a MIM and MIA strat, but half of the cost was via trade-in of a Bass, and this guy is going to have some resale value in 2, 5 or 10 years time. I have promised myself tho, that I will not be buying another guitar.

Coming from an entirely metal and rock background I was sure I was going to go apeshit over Explorers, Les Pauls, Ibanez Superstrats and all that - but I just couldn't get over the mud that came out of almost all of them in comparison to the sound of a single coil on maple. I just love it more than anything else, and I'd better given how much it set me back.

Now I just need to find some inspiration beyond Clapton, Gilmour and Hendrix.

2011 Fender American Standard in Sienna Burst with a maple fingerboard:
http://i.imgur.com/9rmCA.jpg

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Southern Heel posted:

I have promised myself tho, that I will not be buying another guitar.

Give it time :devil:. As for inspiration, check out some Joe Bonamassa. He is an awesome blues man if you like Clapton, BB King and the like.

Posted about this a few pages back, but my dad's friend was saying he was going to make me a custom strat for my birthday. Well the wood finally came in and he's started carving that bad boy out! It looks like it's going to be black with a maple neck and a white pearloid pickguard with EMG single pickups. So basically my best guess is that it's going to be David Gilmour's red and black guitars smooshed together.

I asked him to send me some pictures of the birthing process, hopefully he does so I can share them.