Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

razz posted:

Haha, that's amazing. I draw the line at roadkill, though. I've skinned and gutted roadkilled animals and often it's...not pretty. Liquified organs and bone shards everywhere.

Funny Story.

One of my very very yankee friends gets upset at the annual waste of pumpkins around Halloween. So she makes something she likes to call "roadkill pie." She will collect smashed pumpkins, clean them up, roast them and then make pie. Delicious pie.

I've eaten moose roadkill, it was pretty gamey. the big problem with car-slain meat is that it's never properly bled out. Unless you have the presence of mind to slit the throat and hang up the deer that just totaled your car, (with the rope and pulleys you carry with you?) you're dealing with an inferior product. Add to that the bruising and trauma caused by the wreck itself and you have stew meat. It's not great, but it's food, and nothing to be ashamed of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Drink Lucky Lager if you want the authentic LA experience.

Is that stuff popular now? We used to drink that back in the day because it came with free puzzles!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

FishBulb posted:

Is that stuff popular now? We used to drink that back in the day because it came with free puzzles!

I don't even know if they make it anymore. We used to drink it because it was cheap. Almost as cheap as Stater Bros. "Beer".

Godface
Jun 8, 2007

Awkward Social Situations Established Since 1988
I took a steak out of the freezer earlier today for dinner tonight, but I'm not hungry enough to eat it. But it's defrosted now. Will I still be able to cook it tomorrow evening or will it be spoiled by then?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Godface posted:

I took a steak out of the freezer earlier today for dinner tonight, but I'm not hungry enough to eat it. But it's defrosted now. Will I still be able to cook it tomorrow evening or will it be spoiled by then?

It'll be fine in the fridge for a day or 2.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I don't even know if they make it anymore. We used to drink it because it was cheap. Almost as cheap as Stater Bros. "Beer".

Yeah thats why we bought it too, but the puzzles were nice. Also, we found later that the bottles were only 11 ounces. No wonder it was cheap.

Godface
Jun 8, 2007

Awkward Social Situations Established Since 1988

dis astranagant posted:

It'll be fine in the fridge for a day or 2.

Thanks. Also, cool avatar.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

On a whim, I picked up a package of smoked pork tails. Does anyone have any particular recipes, or suggestions on how to cook them? (They're in small chunks, about 2-4 inches square, not whole). Usually Googling an ingredient will give me dozens of sites with hundreds of recipes that I can look at, but that doesn't seem to be the case with these.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

RHIN0002 posted:

Dear Mindphlux,
Please start another Atlanta dining thread. Please and thank you.

Actually if anyone that lives in the area would start a new thread, that would be fantastic. I would do it, but I make awful threads, so there's that.

ok, I will do this.

I've been meaning to start a compendium of recent restaurant happenings, have just been a bit lazy.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So I've been looking at the stuffed baguette recipe from king arthur flour ( http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-baguettes-recipe )and I was wondering if it were possible to half bake it and keep it in the fridge or freezer so it can be heated up whenever. Would I bake it for half time or just until it starts to look cooked but not brown?

Also what condiments would go nicely with roast beef and pepperjack for this? Mustard seems like a bit of overkill.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mindphlux posted:

ok, I will do this.

I've been meaning to start a compendium of recent restaurant happenings, have just been a bit lazy.

done - Atlanta thread reborn : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3459922

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

So I've been looking at the stuffed baguette recipe from king arthur flour ( http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-baguettes-recipe )and I was wondering if it were possible to half bake it and keep it in the fridge or freezer so it can be heated up whenever. Would I bake it for half time or just until it starts to look cooked but not brown?

Also what condiments would go nicely with roast beef and pepperjack for this? Mustard seems like a bit of overkill.
I would use pepper jelly and bake them fully, and reheat them wrapped in foil.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Simon Draskovic posted:

On a whim, I picked up a package of smoked pork tails. Does anyone have any particular recipes, or suggestions on how to cook them? (They're in small chunks, about 2-4 inches square, not whole). Usually Googling an ingredient will give me dozens of sites with hundreds of recipes that I can look at, but that doesn't seem to be the case with these.

There's a Fergus Henderson recipe for pig tail that's simply to braise them in the oven in red wine and chicken stock plus aromatics and herbs for a couple of hours. Let them cool in the liquor, remove them and dry them. Bread them and fry in butter until crisp. Splash with vinegar and eat with your fingers. As it's a Fergus Henderson dish you also need a bottle of good Burgundy to wash them down with.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Myopic posted:

I can't find a more appropriate thread so I'm asking here:

In late February/March I'm coming from England to L.A. for a stag-do and then on to Memphis (ish) for a wedding. I'm also broke. Where/what should I eat that's cheap and not too poo poo? I'll also be cooking a bit in L.A. I think, so what's good at that time of year in California? Also finally, but most importantly, where is the best beer?

Welcome to LA goon friend! :cheers: Father's Office is one of my favorite places to both get a beer and a burger. They have one of the best burgers in the country (IMO) and a fantastic rotating beer selection. Great craft breweries this side of the country: Lost Abbey, Russian River, Port Brewing, Alesmith, Rogue, Deschutes, Lagunitas, and The Bruery to name a few.

Define "cheap." Pizzeria Mozza is a fantastic pizzeria run by Mario Batali and Nancy Silverton. Pizzas ~$15, expect to order one pizza per person.

You can also hit up Koreatown for some really great, affordable Korean food. Honey's Kettle Fried Chicken is also good. Like Wiggles said, fantastic taquerias are everywhere. Daikokuya in Little Tokyo or Santouka in the Santa Monica Mitsuwa are both great ramen stops. Find a food truck that interests you. Kogi (Korean/Mexican fusion) is the perennial favorite but expect a long line. Piaggio's (Argentinian), Jogasaki (Sushi burrito), Nom nom (banh mi), all good.

If you're willing to spend more money go to: The Bazaar, Animal, Matsuhisa, Son of a Gun, Bouchon, Tres, Osteria Mozza.......

As far as seasonal stuff is concerned, well Wiggles pretty much explained it. California is almost entirely frost free and we have clear blue skies almost year round in our agricultural areas. This gives us an extremely long growing season, which means pretty much everything is in season almost all the time. :smug:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

God bless California.

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
Is there any way to get a Victoronox 8-inch knife with a better handle? I just can't stand the kind of textured plastic handle that it seems to have. There's an option on amazon for a rosewood handle, but if I'm going to spend $20 more on the knife, couldn't I just get a better knife?

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Smelly house-guests left container of almond milk on the counter for 10 hours. Fiance says its fine because it doesn't spoil like milk does. I say its still probably a petri-dish full of terrible things. How stupid is this disagreement?

edit: the handle of the knife is more rubbery than plasticky in my opinion, if that makes any difference to you.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Knockknees posted:

Smelly house-guests left container of almond milk on the counter for 10 hours. Fiance says its fine because it doesn't spoil like milk does. I say its still probably a petri-dish full of terrible things. How stupid is this disagreement?

It's basically almonds and water. I wouldn't think that (re?) pasteurizing it would change the taste much and might be the safest way to go.

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

Eden posted:

Further to that, are there any downsides to cast-iron that's enamelled on the bottom (realising I should have looked into this earlier but didn't even think about it)? Googling only tends to bring up results on bare cast iron vs fully enamelled, which this isn't, so I'd be really interested in people's opinions.

This is purely anecdotal but I also have a cast iron pan that is enamelled on the bottom. I decided that I would use it exactly as a plain cast iron pan on the grounds that the worst that will happen is the enamel will come off and even then it won't end up in my food. I've had this pan for around 5 years now and cooked many steaks etc on it and had it smoking hot. The enamel doesn't appear to be damaged in any way by this and the pan works great. The ceramic coating is inert and I have never read anything to indicate health concerns from overheating enamel so as far as I know the only damage you could cause would be cosmetic. Enamel is also rust prevention but as the pan is only partially coated then you should be drying it to stop rust anyway so that shouldn't matter.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

Daikokuya in Little Tokyo or Santouka in the Santa Monica Mitsuwa are both great ramen stops.
There is a Holy Trinity of ramen shops in LA, they are Santouka, Daikokuya and Shinsengumi. It's probably best to go to whichever one is closest (Santouka on the west, Daikokuya in the middle in Little Tokyo, Shinsengumi to the east)

Also, for Chinese food I would recommend Din Tai Fung in Arcadia, their xiao long bao is a huge hit.

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011
Can somebody help me with an ice cream problem? I want a simple easy base ice cream recipe to add flavors to and I keep messing it up somehow even though I swear I'm following the same recipe each time:

2 cups half & half
2 cups whipping cream (can never remember if its heavy or not)
1 cup sugar
vanilla extract

I made a cinnamon ice cream with this recipe a couple months ago and it was perfect.

The next batch I flavored with boiled down bourbon and it was way to airy with a consistency more like whipped cream than ice cream. I thought maybe it was because of the alcohol in it or maybe because I used regular whipping cream instead of heavy.

Last night I did pureed and strained raspberries and this time specifically remembered to buy heavy whipping cream but I got the same result, more like whipped cream than ice cream.

What am I doing wrong that my ice cream comes out like this sometimes and other times it does not? What simple base recipe should I be using for ice cream?

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

There is a Holy Trinity of ramen shops in LA, they are Santouka, Daikokuya and Shinsengumi. It's probably best to go to whichever one is closest (Santouka on the west, Daikokuya in the middle in Little Tokyo, Shinsengumi to the east)

I've never been to Santouka, but I think that while Daikokuya's broth, pork, and amazing amazing salad dressing that they would not give me a recipe of even though I now live across the country are great, the noodles are not. I used to love going there, but have since admitted that Shinsengumi has better noodles and very good broth, so my ramen stop in CA is Shinsengumi. Added plus is that there are several Shinsengumi locations, and only one Daikokuya.

That being said, I would skip breakfast and go to Daikokuya for a lunch set of salad with that amazing dressing, a small bowl of katsudon, and a big bowl of ramen if I could.

If semi-fast food is something you are into, I would suggest finding one of The Hat locations where you are. They have amazing chili cheese fries, pastrami, and they sell wild cherry soda. That cherry soda, which is probably unfind-able Cherry Fanta, is the reason why my boyfriend insists going there whenever we visit my family.

That and we love chili cheese fries.

Manuel's Tepeyac
manuelseltepeyac.com

We used to go there between classes for lunch, and you can order these enormous burritos that are amazing. Most people could only eat 1/2, if that, and save the rest for dinner. The only person I've seen eat the whole thing in one sitting (plus a brick of sour cream 1/2 the size of the burrito) was this skinny dude with frizzy hair. We were amazed/appalled.

If you go there, order from the takeout window. Getting seating is impossible. Also, this place is in a sketchy area.

The House of Mandarin Noodle
http://www.yelp.com/biz/house-of-mandarin-noodle-temple-city

My family has been eating at this lady and her husband's place since 1985. She moves occasionally, and sends everyone into a panic to try and find her new location.

My favorites are the potstickers, onion pancakes, and the beef noodle broth. People either love the potstickers, or see nothing special about them.

Also recommended: cold chicken salad with cucumbers in a vinegar-soy sauce, beef roll (beef shin rolled in an onion pancake with cilantro and sauce), fish dumplings, wontons in chili oil (so burny good).

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
The best ramen I've had in Southern California is Foo Foo Tei in Hacienda Heights. I first heard of it on a blog run by a ramen fanatic who eventually moved to Japan to become a ramen chef. They have a huge variety of different noodle dishes and appetizers along with other Japanese dishes like curry and donburi. One thing though is that they don't do pork bone broths so if you're a tonkotsu fan you might want to go somewhere else. Their other broths are top notch, though, along with the toppings. It's not really in the LA area I guess but it's definitely worth a shot.

Re: Daikokuya, there are other locations not in LA but the one I ate at in Rowland Heights was pretty mediocre.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

squigadoo posted:

I've never been to Santouka, but I think that while Daikokuya's broth, pork, and amazing amazing salad dressing that they would not give me a recipe of even though I now live across the country are great, the noodles are not. I used to love going there, but have since admitted that Shinsengumi has better noodles and very good broth, so my ramen stop in CA is Shinsengumi. Added plus is that there are several Shinsengumi locations, and only one Daikokuya.

I've never been I shinsengumi, but I actually think santokua has the best noodles and broth of all the ramen shops I've been to. Bouncy and toothsome noodles super rich and savory broth. Will have to go to shinsengumi so I can settle this. :P

canoshiz posted:

The best ramen I've had in Southern California is Foo Foo Tei in Hacienda Heights. I first heard of it on a blog run by a ramen fanatic who eventually moved to Japan to become a ramen chef. They have a huge variety of different noodle dishes and appetizers along with other Japanese dishes like curry and donburi. One thing though is that they don't do pork bone broths so if you're a tonkotsu fan you might want to go somewhere else. Their other broths are top notch, though, along with the toppings. It's not really in the LA area I guess but it's definitely worth a shot.

Re: Daikokuya, there are other locations not in LA but the one I ate at in Rowland Heights was pretty mediocre.

I pass by hacienda hts all the time. I gotta try this place.

I've been to both daikoku in little Tokyo and Rowland. The Rowland daikoku should not even be called such, it is awful by comparison. Noodles were soggy, broth was under seasoned, egg was still cold.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 11, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Shinsengumi has the added bonus of 99 cent noodle refills if you finish your noodles and have too much broth left over.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

GrAviTy84 posted:

I pass by hacienda hts all the time. I gotta try this place.

Some must try dishes include their gyoza, fried chicken wings, fried beef liver, ika maruyaki and anything in their miso broth (maybe with some butter as a topping oh god)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Do we not have an LA thread?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Do we not have an LA thread?

I posted one a while ago. No one posted in it and it went to archives.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
That... sounds very LA.

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head
Thanks for the suggestions and the resulting L.A. food chat everyone, tons of useful info for me here. Really looking forward to good Mexican food the most I think, I've yet to find it here

GrAviTy84 posted:

California is almost entirely frost free and we have clear blue skies almost year round in our agricultural areas.

The sky is blue?? British weather :smithicide:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Mammon Loves You posted:

Can somebody help me with an ice cream problem? I want a simple easy base ice cream recipe to add flavors to and I keep messing it up somehow even though I swear I'm following the same recipe each time:

2 cups half & half
1 cup sugar
vanilla extract

I made a cinnamon ice cream with this recipe a couple months ago and it was perfect.

The next batch I flavored with boiled down bourbon and it was way to airy with a consistency more like whipped cream than ice cream. I thought maybe it was because of the alcohol in it or maybe because I used regular whipping cream instead of heavy.

Last night I did pureed and strained raspberries and this time specifically remembered to buy heavy whipping cream but I got the same result, more like whipped cream than ice cream.

What am I doing wrong that my ice cream comes out like this sometimes and other times it does not? What simple base recipe should I be using for ice cream?

Your numbers look OK to me for a standard Vanilla ice cream, so there's two things to ask about :
1) What are you doing for the actual freezing/making of the ice cream? Are we talking about a kitchenaid mixer attachment, or a standalone ice cream machine?

2) How much of these liquid ingredients are you adding to your base mix and when? If you are adding 1/4 cup of additional liquid to the mix it can very easily throw off your end product. If you are going to add more solid items (chunks of fruit, chocolate chips, etc) add them when the mix is semi-solid. I have also heard that alcohol can cause ice crystals to not form.

The only thing I can suggest without knowing anything else is to try the recipe without adding anything else as a half batch. If that works, then the issue is with your add ins. If it doesn't, look into your method/machine.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Mammon Loves You posted:

2 cups half & half
1 cup sugar
vanilla extract

I have a sneaking suspicion that perhaps your first batch was cold before churning perhaps? That recipe is similar to one my friends tried once that I found honestly pretty revolting. Just really really cold whipped cream. While I can't troubleshoot this recipe itself, I've never had a bad experience using a custard style base.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Hey can I sub kale for spinach? Specifically I once made shrimp risotto with garlic and spinach, but I don't have any spinach. Think it would work?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Psychobabble posted:

I would use pepper jelly and bake them fully, and reheat them wrapped in foil.

Pepper jelly is a genius idea. Thanks.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Hawkgirl posted:

Hey can I sub kale for spinach? Specifically I once made shrimp risotto with garlic and spinach, but I don't have any spinach. Think it would work?

It would but you should blanch it first and then chiffonade it before adding it to the risotto.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Knockknees posted:

edit: the handle of the knife is more rubbery than plasticky in my opinion, if that makes any difference to you.

the amazing thing about our bodies, is that they were designed to eat good food, and avoid bad food.

if you smell your milk, you will know if it is off or not. if it tastes fine, you'll be fine. the worst thing that can happen pretty much is an upset stomach.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Holy gently caress.

PAGING DC AREA SPOONIES!

Tell me where to eat this week!

http://www.restaurantweekmetrodc.org/

I'm scouting for jobs, so fine dining New American/Italian is what I want to focus on, but holy gently caress that's a lot of restaurants.

Oh and then next week it's Alexandria restaurant week.

http://dc.about.com/od/foodevents/a/AlexandriaRestWk.htm

And Bethesda restaurant week.

http://www.bethesda.org/bethesda/bethesda-chevy-chase-restaurant-week-0

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

GrAviTy84 posted:

I've been to both daikoku in little Tokyo and Rowland. The Rowland daikoku should not even be called such, it is awful by comparison. Noodles were soggy, broth was under seasoned, egg was still cold.

Dammit. Last Daikoku visit was my first one to the one in Rowland and I was surprised at how not-good it was. I totally forgot. Boy friend was not thrilled and said he didn't know why I insisted on visiting this store when Shinsengumi was better. Wish I had gone to the one in Little Tokyo, but the drive is long and parking is hellacious.

Let us know about your noodle comparisons.

Question: I was going to do a pork loin roast with a full piece of pork belly on top. Boyfriend is not thrilled with it, saying he didn't see anything special about it and thinks his family will not appreciate it.

The problem is, I've never made a pork loin roast that didn't come out slightly dry. I want moist and delicious.

I have pork belly cut into strips I was going to turn into zhong or ramen filler or cook with yams. I was considering laying the strips on top of the loin to keep the loin moist. Like basting with bacon, but without the powerful taste of bacon.

Normal recipe is scald belly with baking soda/hot wter, tie belly to loin, top with rosemary, bay leaf, and thyme. Roast at 475F for 1 hour, drop to 375F til the loin is at 165F, low broil til skin is crispy. Stand for 30 minutes.

I was going to follow that, but without the scalding and the broiling. Sound like it would work?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
I picked up a 3 ounce basa fillet at the market the other day. Google tells me everything from 'it tastes like muddier catfish' to 'it doesnt taste anything like catfish.' I'm kind of middle-of-the-road about catfish itself, I dont love it or hate it.

I've never eaten basa and I'm trying to figure out the best way to cook it. All I can figure is to sprinkle it with salt, pepper and lemon juice and chuck it in a med-high pan for 3 minutes a side. I figured someone may have a better idea. I have a pantry full of spices to use.

Also, in the California theme :patriot: if anyone has any food recommendations for San Francisco shoot them my way. I get into the bay a lot more than I used to and i'm slowly eating my way through the city. Chinatown on Christmas Day was ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

squigadoo posted:

The problem is, I've never made a pork loin roast that didn't come out slightly dry. I want moist and delicious.

Did you brine?