Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
That V2 video posted earlier. I'm pretty sure that the clip of the V2 striking the ground was a launch gone wrong, given the smoke, slow speed, and a camera being handy. When those suckers impacted all you heard was the shockwave, and the explosion a second later. They were traveling faster than the speed of sound when they were on their way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

movax posted:

Awesome pics! I'd love to know more about the E-3 radar, but I'm pretty sure that's all OPSEC stuff. It's interesting how products of the 90s/00s-era of semiconductor manufacturing/technology compare to that gigantic 70s (80s?)-era radar. (Like the units on the Wedgetail or Business Jet AWACS conversion jobbies).

You can ask. I've got a good idea what's good to talk about and what's not. I tend to default on the safe side if I'm not sure.

Edit: 60s/70s radar.

The newer radars like you see on the Wedgetail are better at certain things like electronic protection and probably frequency agility, but the AN/APY-1 and 2 have better long-range detection and a few other OPSEC-y advantages.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 10, 2012

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Has anyone ever tried to reheat food by taping it to the radome?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

law abiding rapist posted:

Has anyone ever tried to reheat food by taping it to the radome?

Not that I'm aware of. Fun story though---just aft of the flightdeck bulkhead is a sextant port used for celestial navigation but now is for a satcom antenna to be mounted. Back in the day crews would stuff eggs through it among other poo poo. Leadership caught on when a jet landed with the rotodome struts and vertical stab covered in toilet paper.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
edit: gently caress

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 10, 2012

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

HeyEng posted:

just aft of the flightdeck bulkhead is a sextant port used for celestial navigation but now is for a satcom antenna to be mounted.

Ah, the dongtenna. What a piece of poo poo. Only slightly worse than the half-assed awesome permanent antenna mod.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

iyaayas01 posted:

You're fixin' to get jacked up breaking red like that. :v:

Actually, funny story about breaking red...so during Northern Edge last summer we had a shitload of Navy guys up here, even more than usual since the carrier dropped out so the bulk of their Air Wing came up here and operated from Elmo. Anyway, these guys don't exactly play by AF rules, and were breaking red all over the place. We mentioned it to them once or twice, and they kind of looked at us and mumbled okay...and kept on doing it. We didn't give a poo poo, but the Wing Commander hisself said later that day that NO ONE would break red...and the Navy folks kept right on doing it.

We used to fly up to McChord from San Diego, to ultimately meet the carrier at Puget Sound for workup cycles and whatnot. I can't even begin to tell you how many of my former shipmates (gently caress I hate that word) probably still have bootprints on their backs and/or necks from running amok on the line and pissing of the SPs. Some people just can't be taught.

I always used to ask people if they'd ever watched "WKRP in Cincinnati", and if they were familiar with Les Nesman's office. It's the best analogy I could come up with to describe the AF's method of cordoning. :)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Here's a fun fact about the E-3's absolutely insane radar power requirements--at low thrust settings the engines can actually stall because of how much horsepower it takes to drive the engine-mounted electrical generators.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Wait what's going on with your custom titles here

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Das Volk posted:

Wait what's going on with your custom titles here

Gen Foglesong is some batshit crazy retired officer who's the source of much grief almong those who served under him. Somebody in GiP bought these for Godholio, myself, and others for making some Foglesong-related posts.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

The newer radars like you see on the Wedgetail are better at certain things like electronic protection and probably frequency agility, but the AN/APY-1 and 2 have better long-range detection and a few other OPSEC-y advantages.

A Wedgetail is coming to the international Flag this year, should be cool...along with some Aussie C-130s, so I'll be looking forward to getting another awesome ride as well as hanging out with George, their screwball loggie and unofficial TDY social chair.

I'm not sure if they're going to let him come back though, because he probably has at least a couple of children running around Anchorage by now.

Actually, I might have to get off my rear end and get a photo pass this year, should be a lot of somewhat interesting heavies floating around...as of now it should be an A310 MRTT from the Luftwaffe, NATO AWACS, Aussie Wedgetail, Aussie -J model C-130s, Polish -E model, JASDF -H models, KC-767, and E-767 for the international Flag, plus some weird Herks and some other unusual aircraft for the other Flag this summer.

Acid Reflux posted:

We used to fly up to McChord from San Diego, to ultimately meet the carrier at Puget Sound for workup cycles and whatnot. I can't even begin to tell you how many of my former shipmates (gently caress I hate that word) probably still have bootprints on their backs and/or necks from running amok on the line and pissing of the SPs. Some people just can't be taught.

I always used to ask people if they'd ever watched "WKRP in Cincinnati", and if they were familiar with Les Nesman's office. It's the best analogy I could come up with to describe the AF's method of cordoning. :)

Hahaha...that is a great analogy.

Mahnarch
Jan 7, 2008

Landing?
Do, or Do Not.
There is no 'Try'.

co199 posted:

(Click for big.)

They should put a flag on there that says, "Remove Before Fight".

Also, gatling guns don't have much knurling to them, do they?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Blistex posted:

That V2 video posted earlier. I'm pretty sure that the clip of the V2 striking the ground was a launch gone wrong, given the smoke, slow speed, and a camera being handy. When those suckers impacted all you heard was the shockwave, and the explosion a second later. They were traveling faster than the speed of sound when they were on their way down.

That video probably was of a malfunctioning launch, but I swear I've seen other footage of them doing the same thing. Probably just the History channel not getting their history right when labeling things they are airing.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

(Click for big.)

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

co199 posted:

(Click for big.)

Reminds me of a certain Disney character.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

eggyolk posted:

Reminds me of a certain Disney character.

Go dumbo early.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Bondematt posted:

The safety wire in the middle of a giant fuckoff cannon is making me giggle more than I should admit.

The GAU-8 is probably the most sexy thing anybody ever decided to put wings on. I'm pretty sure the engineers that decided that the safety wire was necessary giggled a bit too.

Bondematt posted:

Go dumbo early.

What?

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jan 10, 2012

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

(Click for enormous.)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A-10 trivia Q: As the barrel rotates, which position is it in when it fires?

co199
Oct 28, 2009

Ola posted:

Pretty sure it's roughly the 9 o'clock position, which is why the gun is mounted slightly offset, so the firing barrel is centerline on the plane. Otherwise the recoil would cause horrible yaw!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

co199 posted:

Pretty sure it's roughly the 9 o'clock position, which is why the gun is mounted slightly offset, so the firing barrel is centerline on the plane. Otherwise the recoil would cause horrible yaw!

Correct!

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Ola posted:

It's not really firing. Spitting ridiculous amounts of depleted uranium from the barrel positioned center left (left as in you're looking down the barrels) is a more accurate description of how a GAU-8 works.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT

(Click for grande.)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

Please tell me it's just turning, not radiating.

I'd go the other direction either way, I'd be worried that someone might accidentally hit the 'zorch!' button.

So is "zorch" the official term for "fry poo poo with a radar" or what, cause I thought it was pretty funny the first time I came across that usage (I think it was in a Tom Clancy novel referring to an AEGIS cruiser. Red Storm Rising maybe?)

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Ola posted:

drat you. I was considering posting how originally I thought the barrel was offset as just another eclectic design decision, like so many that wind up making an aircraft asymmetrical, until I learned that the 9 o'clock barrel was the one that fired.

I mean, e:f;b.

edit:
Also, I've had this little guy sitting on my nerdy knickknack shelf for fifteen years. I got it at Oskosh '97, when my CAP squadron was given the opportunity to ride a Wyoming air guard C-130 to the fly-in.

I was told it was an Avenger shell, and I bought it for like $6. Of course, I was 13 at the time, it now occurs to me that it probably isn't anything even closely related to an A-10 shell. You guys are really loving smart, I've been meaning to ask if you could me what it is?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

HeyEng posted:

Back in the day crews would stuff eggs through it among other poo poo. Leadership caught on when a jet landed with the rotodome struts and vertical stab covered in toilet paper.

I know a retired KC-135 instructor, and he had a slightly different use for the sextant port.

Apparently someone figured out that you could duct-tape a vacuum cleaner hose up there, and the suction worked gret for vacuuming out the cockpit. The practice ended after some of the maintenance people got annoyed at airplanes coming back with the edge of the vertical stab being sandblasted by the junk being sucked out of the cockpit.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 10, 2012

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

co199 posted:

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT

(Click for grande.)

No smoking sign MY rear end

MagnumHB
Jan 19, 2003

Boomerjinks posted:

I was told it was an Avenger shell, and I bought it for like $6. Of course, I was 13 at the time, it now occurs to me that it probably isn't anything even closely related to an A-10 shell. You guys are really loving smart, I've been meaning to ask if you could me what it is?
What diameter is it?

co199
Oct 28, 2009

Boomerjinks posted:

It's possible that could be a training or dummy round, especially since it looks like it could fit.

EDIT: not my picture, but that is a casing from an Avenger shell.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

MagnumHB posted:

What diameter is it?

Just over 2.5cm, I think.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

co199 posted:

It's possible that could be a training or dummy round, especially since it looks like it could fit.

EDIT: not my picture, but that is a casing from an Avenger shell.

I want to clean out the inside of that and use it for drinking.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I have an avenger case like that and shell I got from Oshkosh as well. That shell casing and crunched up round look correct to me.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Phy posted:

So is "zorch" the official term for "fry poo poo with a radar" or what, cause I thought it was pretty funny the first time I came across that usage (I think it was in a Tom Clancy novel referring to an AEGIS cruiser. Red Storm Rising maybe?)

We usually say things like "fry poo poo" or "fry that dude's nuts" etc.

Edit: My favorite is "throw so many trons at that fucker his kids will have cancer"

co199
Oct 28, 2009

Speaking of zorching, this one is thirsty!

(Click for 1920x1200.)

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

co199 posted:

Speaking of zorching, this one is thirsty!

(Click for 1920x1200.)

A converted passenger A320 A310?

co199
Oct 28, 2009

D C posted:

A converted passenger A320 A310?

Yep, A310 MRTT. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbus_A310_MRTT

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

co199 posted:

Just thought its weird that it has windows.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

D C posted:

How else are you going to know when it's full of fuel?

co199
Oct 28, 2009

D C posted:

It might be one of the ones that's yet unconverted. Traditionally the 310 doesn't have the boom refueling system (the 330 does) so it might be a test platform, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

co199 posted:

Canada's version, the CC-150 Polaris.

Only registered members can see post attachments!