Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
they both look like a crowd of people to me. I can't see what's supposed to be standing out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Schofferhofer posted:

they both look like a crowd of people to me. I can't see what's supposed to be standing out there.

I was just trying to do a little street with something different, so I was using my 80-200. With such a long lens I couldn't really show you how crowded it was, but there were easily a couple thousand people in that area.

So in short, it is just a crowd of people, I just couldn't actually show you how crowded it was.

DSC_3316 by DarSevn, on Flickr

I got off of the high speed train to find the exit gate surrounded by 8 huge bodyguards. Apparently they were waiting for this guy, but I have no idea who he is. I didn't have the courage to take a picture of the bodyguards because anybody who stopped in their area got pushed away fairly quickly.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...

the glow of someone elses' conversation by Trip Sixes, on Flickr

(cross-posted from SAD)

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Spent the day going through the thread and I'm really amazed at all the talent here, especially since I can pick at your brains.

Do you guys carry your camera with you everywhere you go? Or do you specifically grab your camera and go out with the explicit purpose of getting photographs? I couldn't imagine carrying around my clunky DSLR everywhere but I'm sure it wouldn't be that big of a deal if I got used it, especially since the 550D is super light.

I also watched the street documentary Leica commerical but I find this hour long documentary about Joel Meyerowitz much more informative. Plus, it's from 1981!

Joel Meyerowitz 1981 Street Photography Program

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
You can force yourself to get used to carrying anything, it's just the adjustment period that will be weird for you and the people around you. There is a distinct point where it will cross over from embarrassment to acceptance, and you will be free to shoot all day- at the expense of being a weird camera guy weirdo.

I don't do it anymore, but I would if my joblife supported it.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

You can force yourself to get used to carrying anything, it's just the adjustment period that will be weird for you and the people around you. There is a distinct point where it will cross over from embarrassment to acceptance, and you will be free to shoot all day- at the expense of being a weird camera guy weirdo.

I don't do it anymore, but I would if my joblife supported it.

And after that cross over, people you know will look at you strange when you are not carrying your camera with you.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Sevn posted:

And after that cross over, people you know will look at you strange when you are not carrying your camera with you.
I reached that point some time last year. I'm not sure how I feel about it...

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Sevn posted:

I think the strangest part will be when my friends start asking me what the hell I'm doing with a camera all of a sudden.

"Street photography, man. All about the streets *click* Sorry bro, had to capture that look of bewilderment. Here's a business card with my flickr address on it check in about 2 weeks"

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
Yeah look I don't do that very much at all. I'll take my camera(s) out with me in the city or when I'm visiting friends who live in the city (because they're interesting enough to shoot) bit I don't take cameras out everyday or when I go out for the evening.

Definitely never take it to parties.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Schofferhofer posted:

Yeah look I don't do that very much at all. I'll take my camera(s) out with me in the city or when I'm visiting friends who live in the city (because they're interesting enough to shoot) bit I don't take cameras out everyday or when I go out for the evening.

Definitely never take it to parties.

I usually take mine with me whenever I go out, but I rarely take it to work. Depending on the party, I might or might not bring it with me. Whenever I do bring it to a party though, it never interferes with me having a good time. I could see it being a problem for some people if they are shooting throughout the whole party. All in moderation, unless you don't bring it out because you are afraid of breaking it/forgetting it/getting it stolen.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Meant to post this in the Sports thread. Sorry dudes.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 11, 2012

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back
Wow, this is really fun. I got the Sigma 30mm (crop sensor) a while ago with street in mind. Doing this in a tourist trap is a good way to get used to poking your camera in people's faces because they're sort of desensitized to cameras everywhere. Let me know what you think. This is my first try and I think these came out ok.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Those particular shots are a little haphazardly candid for me, but you did a great job of not backing away from shoving that big snoot close to people's personal space. This is one of my pacts for photography this year :)

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

darknrgy posted:

Wow, this is really fun. I got the Sigma 30mm (crop sensor) a while ago with street in mind. Doing this in a tourist trap is a good way to get used to poking your camera in people's faces because they're sort of desensitized to cameras everywhere. Let me know what you think. This is my first try and I think these came out ok.

Wow, if anything I would say you might have been just a little too close haha. Good job getting so close though, did anybody say anything to you? I love my 35mm for street and I can't wait until I can upgrade to that 30mm 1.4.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Beach Street

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

darknrgy posted:

I really, really like this. I'm almost uncomfortable at the intimacy of it.

A Thousand Fears Pressed Upon The Heart by ThisQuietReverie, on Flickr

The Greater Malice of Donkey Kong by ThisQuietReverie, on Flickr

Hang On To Each Other by ThisQuietReverie, on Flickr

I take a lot of photos of strangers but I'm not too into "street" in and of itself.

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back

Martytoof posted:

Those particular shots are a little haphazardly candid for me, but you did a great job of not backing away from shoving that big snoot close to people's personal space. This is one of my pacts for photography this year :)

I've been pondering this all day and I'm at a loss. Initially I thought "candid" was desirable but then I remembered some of my favorite street has some element of intrusion in it. It's almost as if there's a magical timing where you've caught their attention but they haven't had a chance to process it. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned the contradicting nature of street and this is really true. If they don't notice, it's too candid. If you wait too long it's over. Somewhere in between is this awkward moment and I think that might be the key. Much more difficult than what I've done.

Sevn posted:

Wow, if anything I would say you might have been just a little too close haha. Good job getting so close though, did anybody say anything to you? I love my 35mm for street and I can't wait until I can upgrade to that 30mm 1.4.

I was sitting next to the folks on #1; I was with some friends in a very crowded spot and I just sort of held the camera out without scoping. Lucky. The others are cropped a bit which makes them seem closer, but I was about 10 feet away sitting on a wall. No one seemed to care at all about what I was doing and that's really encouraging. I do think this environment helped a lot - Waikiki, very busy. I don't think 35mm would be that different than 30mm. Street wants a small aperture so 1.4 doesn't mean that much.

In the interest of catching a less candid moment, I'll submit this. It's objectively worse because of the other subjects, lighting, etc, but at least the guy is sort of looking my way. Hmm... nah it just sucks. Need more experience with this. I might get another chance in a couple of days.

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back

ThisQuietReverie posted:

I really, really like this. I'm almost uncomfortable at the intimacy of it.

A Thousand Fears Pressed Upon The Heart by ThisQuietReverie, on Flickr

I find it sort of amusing that you comment on the intimacy and then post this photo ;). It's very close and personal. I especially like the rigid posture on the girl. The missed focus must have been frustrating. Looks like you caught the pants.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Schofferhofer posted:

Mr. Highpants by Josh Conliffe, on Flickr

For Tubbins by Josh Conliffe, on Flickr

JCP20111218-2-1920 by Josh Conliffe, on Flickr

What's your setup here? Camera/lens/film? These look great.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Underpass by Jemuel Balangcod

I wasn't thinking about it when I was taking the picture, but definitely a homage to Cartier Bresson.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

darknrgy posted:

I've been pondering this all day and I'm at a loss. Initially I thought "candid" was desirable but then I remembered some of my favorite street has some element of intrusion in it. It's almost as if there's a magical timing where you've caught their attention but they haven't had a chance to process it. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned the contradicting nature of street and this is really true. If they don't notice, it's too candid. If you wait too long it's over. Somewhere in between is this awkward moment and I think that might be the key. Much more difficult than what I've done.

I think that's what I meant when I said they were "too candid", though I certainly didn't mean that in any particularly bad way :)

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

darknrgy posted:

I find it sort of amusing that you comment on the intimacy and then post this photo ;). It's very close and personal. I especially like the rigid posture on the girl. The missed focus must have been frustrating. Looks like you caught the pants.

In this context it was a compliment because you made me feel.

I was prefocused all day and he was about to stand up. I actually don't care about the focus, it is still what I want it to be.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

So I was inspired to try my hand at street photography, while waiting at a car dealership.

Sales Tactic. That lens flare is really distracting.

Get On. I took this shot because she was completely zoned out and reading this novel. She was also wearing these really colorful socks but I can't seem to get the white balance right and I didn't want to do selective coloring, so I chose to go with B&W, at least until I solidify my basics.

Body Language. I just found the interaction between the salespeople and customers interesting. Nothing too special. I have a feeling I will develop a better eye for interesting pictures versus pictures of people standing around as I do this more and more. Currently I'm having a hard time telling the difference.

News. I felt pretty uncomfortable with taking this one.

What is camera. I know this picture's exposure is off the charts bad but I liked this dog's expression too much to get rid of it. Maybe I could crop out the owner's head and put the emphasis on the dog?

None of the subject matter is very interesting, but my main purpose was to get used to taking pictures of people, as well as start playing around with processing. Any feedback, especially in terms of composition and cropping would be greatly appreciated. Consider me hooked! I can't wait to go out with my camera and play "tourist" again. Upon giving a second glance it appears all of my pictures are slightly underexposed. Am I on the right track?

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 12, 2012

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bioshuffle posted:

So I was inspired to try my hand at street photography, while waiting at a car dealership.

Sales Tactic. That lens flare is really distracting.

Get On. I took this shot because she was completely zoned out and reading this novel. She was also wearing these really colorful socks but I can't seem to get the white balance right and I didn't want to do selective coloring, so I chose to go with B&W, at least until I solidify my basics.

Body Language. I just found the interaction between the salespeople and customers interesting. Nothing too special. I have a feeling I will develop a better eye for interesting pictures versus pictures of people standing around as I do this more and more. Currently I'm having a hard time telling the difference.

News. I felt pretty uncomfortable with taking this one.

What is camera. I know this picture's exposure is off the charts bad but I liked this dog's expression too much to get rid of it. Maybe I could crop out the owner's head and put the emphasis on the dog?

None of the subject matter is very interesting, but my main purpose was to get used to taking pictures of people, as well as start playing around with processing. Any feedback, especially in terms of composition and cropping would be greatly appreciated. Consider me hooked! I can't wait to go out with my camera and play "tourist" again. Upon giving a second glance it appears all of my pictures are slightly underexposed. Am I on the right track?

It's a great start, I would say, but it seems like you are cropping a little too tight. Also, why are all of the pictures in black and white? I noticed you said the picture of the lady is B&W because you can't fix the WB, but what about the others?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Sevn posted:

It's a great start, I would say, but it seems like you are cropping a little too tight. Also, why are all of the pictures in black and white? I noticed you said the picture of the lady is B&W because you can't fix the WB, but what about the others?

Thanks! I think the cropping is due to my lack of attention to proper framing when initially taking the picture. All the pictures are in black and white because I just found various faults with the colors and I prefer the look of grainy black and white shots. Then again, without the fundamentals like composition, I don't think any amount of graininess can cover up a lovely picture. In the interest of learning to become better at this, I hope you guys won't mind if I upload the originals here, since it's a slow thread anyway.

Maybe this one isn't as bad as I thought in color, but initially I thought the cars in the background was too distracting. Although that would make sense, since this is a car dealership.

Hmmm.

This one just seems boring in retrospect. I guess it's just a snap shot of people standing around. Nothing compelling going on.

This one's not too bad in color.

Waaaay too underexposed. The bright background really threw me off. I don't know what I was thinking, but turning it to B&W and playing with the levels made it semi-salvageable.

After looking at these I feel like I should hold off on the film camera idea until I get my basics down on digital first.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

On the other hand, I bet you'd be able to recover that dog photo much more easily on film.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bioshuffle posted:

Thanks! I think the cropping is due to my lack of attention to proper framing when initially taking the picture. All the pictures are in black and white because I just found various faults with the colors and I prefer the look of grainy black and white shots. Then again, without the fundamentals like composition, I don't think any amount of graininess can cover up a lovely picture. In the interest of learning to become better at this, I hope you guys won't mind if I upload the originals here, since it's a slow thread anyway.

Maybe this one isn't as bad as I thought in color, but initially I thought the cars in the background was too distracting. Although that would make sense, since this is a car dealership.

Hmmm.

This one just seems boring in retrospect. I guess it's just a snap shot of people standing around. Nothing compelling going on.

This one's not too bad in color.

Waaaay too underexposed. The bright background really threw me off. I don't know what I was thinking, but turning it to B&W and playing with the levels made it semi-salvageable.

After looking at these I feel like I should hold off on the film camera idea until I get my basics down on digital first.

Don't worry, I think these are great for your first attempt at shooting street. You weren't in the greatest spot and you still did a good job, though you are right about the composition being a little funky. Just attribute that to the fact that you are just beginning to get your feet wet in street. I still screw my street shots up, even when I stop people and asking them to take a picture. The only difference now is that I have more confidence in screwing up :D

Edit: I took a lot of pictures on New Years Eve, but I am not happy with most of them. I am convinced drinking and photography do not go well together.

DSC_4961 by DarSevn, on Flickr

Sevn fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 12, 2012

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Martytoof posted:

On the other hand, I bet you'd be able to recover that dog photo much more easily on film.
That and I know I would be lot more reluctant to press the shutter. I'm dangerously close to picking up a Yashica T4 Super D. I'm just trying to decide if I want to get that or the 50mm 1.8 prime first. I found a guy who wants to part with it for $60. Is that a good deal? Should I do it?

Sevn posted:

Don't worry, I think these are great for your first attempt at shooting street. You weren't in the greatest spot and you still did a good job, though you are right about the composition being a little funky. Just attribute that to the fact that you are just beginning to get your feet wet in street. I still screw my street shots up, even when I stop people and asking them to take a picture. The only difference now is that I have more confidence in screwing up :D

Edit: I took a lot of pictures on New Years Eve, but I am not happy with most of them. I am convinced drinking and photography do not go well together.

DSC_4961 by DarSevn, on Flickr
Thanks for the tips! I suppose I can't get better if I sit around the house all day so it gives me an excuse to get out and take more pictures. At least my screw ups don't cost me the way film would.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Trolley by Jemuel Balangcod

Went out shooting today and came back with something I was quite happy with.

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010

QPZIL posted:

What's your setup here? Camera/lens/film? These look great.

Canon 5DmkII, 35 1.4L. Curves correction but no colour balancing. Canon Colours man.

I shoot a fair bit of film too but I haven't developed any shot on the street yet. I'll be posting here when I do.

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back

ThisQuietReverie posted:

In this context it was a compliment because you made me feel.

I was prefocused all day and he was about to stand up. I actually don't care about the focus, it is still what I want it to be.

Sorry, don't get me wrong. I think the focus is fine. It's just the sort of thing that would nag at me. I don't have much experience with street, but my impression is that a lot of the technical aspects of photography become less important if you somehow capture a hint of the back story of what's going on at that moment.

Speaking of focus, I set myself with a small aperture, AF, and hope for the best. I'm interested in the prefocusing approach. Set yourself to a hyperfocal distance and go bananas or is it more complicated than that?

Content:

She's pouring milk!

I thought the dog's composure was neat here. Like he's scared of the blade. I'm not sure if the cutting action really comes through, though. Kinda need to see a larger version to make sense of it and I consider that a sub-optimal.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Until I read your text I couldn't see the blade at all.

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
For hyperfocal I just stop down and set my focus ring to something around 1.0-1.5m depending on my glass.

On my 24mm I know that shooting in daylight I can do f/16 and have everything from 1-3m in focus and then I just worry about composition.

I know guys that do it wider open but I am not that good at judging distance.

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back

Laser Cow posted:

Until I read your text I couldn't see the blade at all.

Yep, I was afraid of that. Here's another of the same guy.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

The Ice-Cream Uncle by alkanphel, on Flickr

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...

on the bus by Trip Sixes, on Flickr

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Been locking my 17-50 at 50mm lately when going to work to help me decide whether to get a 50 1.4 or not (I think I will!). Here are some of the results, kinda sub-par and I can only blame so much on my boring boring town. Getting practice though! Tried to avoid processing beyond basic levels so I could see where I was going wrong in regards to basic exposure settings.

IMG_0792 by J Dawson, on Flickr

IMG_0790 by J Dawson, on Flickr

IMG_0794 by J Dawson, on Flickr

IMG_0867 by J Dawson, on Flickr

IMG_0815 by J Dawson, on Flickr

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Here's something that I took last October.

A Statue in Motion by Jemuel Balangcod

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010

Subway by trambopaline, on Flickr

Prayers by trambopaline, on Flickr

Not on the street, but shot with a rangefinder on film. That makes it documenting the human condition in the zoo of humanity that is the public. :colbert:

But seriously I hate those guys that talk like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Well a guy just cursed me out at the bus stop

hooray for street photography \/:(\/