Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Boten Anna posted:

Strange, I was just poking around on it and it offered family plans, then tried it again just now and it was only individual ones.

Its a glitch, it will always error out in the end. Sero is completely removed from sprints systems far as I know, so like other grandfathered plans there is no way to create the account, even if its someone who accidentally lost the plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Boten Anna posted:

The site linked in the OP seemed to work, is it closed now? :sigh:

The only site I can find linked is the EPRP one -- where exactly were you?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

berzerkmonkey posted:

I just tried that and no dice. I also rebooted the phone - I don't get the "MTP" messages any more, but I don't get anything else, either.
Turn off "USB Debugging", without the right drivers on your computer that's only going to foul things up. Also it's not a good thing to leave on anyways as it's a potential vector for malware if you're plugging into random USB ports.

Boten Anna posted:

Strange, I was just poking around on it and it offered family plans, then tried it again just now and it was only individual ones.
To clarify, you're looking at EPRP plans. SERO is something else, old, and no longer available, but I'm fairly certain you're looking at EPRP.

Anyways, their site still lists the multiline "Share Plans", which is what you want to look at. If for some reason you can't see them, clear you browser cookies and try again or something. Sprint's website sucks.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Turn off "USB Debugging", without the right drivers on your computer that's only going to foul things up. Also it's not a good thing to leave on anyways as it's a potential vector for malware if you're plugging into random USB ports.
Thanks for the reply, but it turns out it was the cable I was using. I didn't think that could cause a problem (unless it is a bad cable.)

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Duckman2008 posted:

Its a glitch, it will always error out in the end. Sero is completely removed from sprints systems far as I know, so like other grandfathered plans there is no way to create the account, even if its someone who accidentally lost the plan.

There is only one way to get onto sero and that is to be on an account for employees and their family (SWAC) and then move off it. Sero is technically the "Severing Employee Retention Offer"

https://www.sprint.com/webconversionform/index.html

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Thanks for the reply, but it turns out it was the cable I was using. I didn't think that could cause a problem (unless it is a bad cable.)

I've found this to be true of several different phones I've owned - any micro USB cable is fine for charging, but for actual data transfer the phones only seem to want to do so correctly with their own OEM cable. When I was screwing around with rooting and roms and whatnot on my Epic, I found that only the USB cable that came with the phone would allow the PC to see the phone.

Don't know why that is.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

berzerkmonkey posted:

Aside from some weird cables that are intended for charging only, any microUSB cable should be compatible.

The big caveat is that microUSB cables also go bad quickly, and you can have problems where the data lines wear out the the power ones don't, so it still functions for charging but won't reliably do data transfer.

Edit: I purchase microUSB cables 5-10 at a time. I've never had a problem with a brand-new cable not working, on any device. I've frequently had problems with used cables. They just don't last long.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
It looks like the Sprint Galaxy Nexus will be 32GB afterall.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/10/sprint-confirms-its-galaxy-nexus-will-be-of-the-32gb-variety/

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know what the hell you people are doing to your cables, every microUSB cable I've had still works flawlessly.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

big mean giraffe posted:

I don't know what the hell you people are doing to your cables, every microUSB cable I've had still works flawlessly.

There are cables now apparently that only charge (or maybe can transfer data on certain devices). A friend recently purchased a cheap cable but was unable to transfer data on his computer with it, but I had one I lent to him that worked fine.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well this one is interesting:

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=9639

Basically, sprint is only doing LTE on 1900mhz for now. Looks like light squared got canned.

I honestly don't know enough on this to know if its good or bad, Alman do you know?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
1900 isn't too bad as long as they don't have capacity issues. There wasn't really another option anyways because LightSquared's bullshit was never going to fly and Sprint was silly for even flirting with them.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Lblitzer posted:

There are cables now apparently that only charge (or maybe can transfer data on certain devices). A friend recently purchased a cheap cable but was unable to transfer data on his computer with it, but I had one I lent to him that worked fine.
The cable I was using was from my work Verizon phone. My Touch charges fine with it, but data is a no-go. Maybe there is some different internal wiring? I don't know - I would think any cable would work, but apparently this is not the case.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 10, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

berzerkmonkey posted:

Maybe there is some different internal wiring?
No, no, it's nothing like that.

The whole point of the USB spec was to avoid unintuitive-incompatibility issues that we ran into with previous "standards" (RS-232ish serial and such). As part of this there was to be one cable, with a USB-A type connector on one end, and a USB-B type connector on the other, and all USB cables would be compatible with each other and any application--at least, within the same spec revision.

Turns out that the USB-B house connector is loving large, so they added mini-USB to the spec for smaller form-factor devices. Except this was still a problem since the springs and poo poo were device side and wore out too quickly. So they added micro-USB to put the wear-out-poo poo on the cable side. So now we're up to three types of USB cables, but that's "really supposed to be it, honestly!"

There's no good reason why some microUSB cables wouldn't work with devices and others would. They're certainly not designed that way. If I had to guess, it's because some super cheap or special form-factor cables don't comply with spec, or "just barely comply" by using high gauge wire, not having enough twists, etc., such that some phones just can't make use of them.

A quality, to-spec USB cable, like the ones Monoprice sells, should work with any phone. They may not hold up over time, but they'll work out of the package.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Duckman2008 posted:

Well this one is interesting:

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=9639

Basically, sprint is only doing LTE on 1900mhz for now. Looks like light squared got canned.

I honestly don't know enough on this to know if its good or bad, Alman do you know?

I guess it's good not to have that distraction, but 1900MHz? I think they already have CDMA running on that so it's not as big of an issue to build towers, just hardware swaps if needed.

Do they have the ability to handle the backhaul with that dense a tower network?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Apparently my contract wasn't a yearly account but I'll try to call retentions for a GNex upgrade when it launches. Thanks for the help though, Duckman.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Technogeek posted:

The only site I can find linked is the EPRP one -- where exactly were you?

Oh yeah I'm dumb, that's what I get for posting early without caffeine :doh:

I meant EPRP. I'm not sure why I was thinking SERO.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Are there any methods to break my contract without incurring an etf now or coming soon? Getting kind of tired of the incredibly slow data speeds and poor service.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Do you have a family plan with a corporate discount?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Just a SERO premium account. I'd sell it, but I want to keep my number.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

"d[-.- posted:

b"]

If you can port out the number without triggering an automatic disconnection, I'd try to do that. Then you can TOL the line.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"d[-.- posted:

b"]

You can try porting your number to Google voice and getting a temporary number. Since its SERO call the SERO line first. Then it's much less risky to sell it.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Got the new battery (conveniently almost drained) and they went ahead and replaced the broken case for us. Now we just wait and see how all the updates treat her and if things get better, worse, or stay about the same.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

My boyfriend would like to upgrade his phone but has an issue.

He's on a family plan with his family with separate contracts for each phone. His contract was up in December of 2010 and his mom accidentally dropped her phone in the snow and used his upgrade via contract renewal to get a new one. He used his sister's upgrade to get a new phone in April of 2011, the LG Rumor Touch.

He'd like to break away from the family plan and get his own plan and an Android phone. Would he be able to do this? Would he have to pay ETF to get out of his new contract like I would to get out of mine with the Nexus S? I'm thinking he would have to but I'm not 100% on it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

He's on a family plan with his family with separate contracts for each phone. His contract was up in December of 2010 and his mom accidentally dropped her phone in the snow and used his upgrade via contract renewal to get a new one. He used his sister's upgrade to get a new phone in April of 2011, the LG Rumor Touch.

He'd like to break away from the family plan and get his own plan and an Android phone. Would he be able to do this? Would he have to pay ETF to get out of his new contract like I would to get out of mine with the Nexus S? I'm thinking he would have to but I'm not 100% on it.

Well that wasn't nice of mom. Then again, a Rumor Touch?

Anyway, he is probably in for the ETF on the line unless they can shuffle the lines around and find another family member to gently caress with.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

There's no good reason why some microUSB cables wouldn't work with devices and others would. They're certainly not designed that way. If I had to guess, it's because some super cheap or special form-factor cables don't comply with spec, or "just barely comply" by using high gauge wire, not having enough twists, etc., such that some phones just can't make use of them.
I should have worded my post differently, but yes, "wired differently" should have read "wired poorly." Thanks for the insight on the cable types though - it was interesting.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

He can break away from the family plan for sure, and for no cost on that part. Its called a transfer of liability, and any corporate or sprint preferred store can do it (or phone support). He basically sets up an accounts in his name, and instead of activating a new phone they transfer his number to that account and setup an individual plan. This does transfer the contract too, so he won't be able to get upgrade pricing.

Just go on Craigslist and buy something used. My friend is selling an epic touch and can't even get $300 for it. Prices are currently low. HTC evo, nexus s and even evo 3D can be found for good deals.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

Well that wasn't nice of mom. Then again, a Rumor Touch?

Anyway, he is probably in for the ETF on the line unless they can shuffle the lines around and find another family member to gently caress with.

Yeah, she didn't even ask, just did it without consent. Apparently Sprint didn't even contact him to ask. =| That's kinda lovely that it can be done without the contract holder's consent.

Duckman2008 posted:

He can break away from the family plan for sure, and for no cost on that part. Its called a transfer of liability, and any corporate or sprint preferred store can do it (or phone support). He basically sets up an accounts in his name, and instead of activating a new phone they transfer his number to that account and setup an individual plan. This does transfer the contract too, so he won't be able to get upgrade pricing.

Just go on Craigslist and buy something used. My friend is selling an epic touch and can't even get $300 for it. Prices are currently low. HTC evo, nexus s and even evo 3D can be found for good deals.

Thanks for this! I'll let him know today. If he buys something used and puts it on his plan, that won't restart anything and just call in, say you bought a used phone, and swap phones?

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 11, 2012

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, she didn't even ask, just did it without consent. Apparently Sprint didn't even contact him to ask. =| That's kinda lovely that it can be done without the contract holder's consent.

Only if she's given authorization on the account to do those kinds of things, so it's his fault.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

Only if she's given authorization on the account to do those kinds of things, so it's his fault.

She's the one that pays the entire bill (and I'm guessing she started the family plan) so I'm not sure if that gives her authorization without consent or not.

e: Are there any places to buy used Android phones cheap besides Craigslist and eBay?

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 11, 2012

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

She's the one that pays the entire bill (and I'm guessing she started the family plan) so I'm not sure if that gives her authorization without consent or not.

e: Are there any places to buy used Android phones cheap besides Craigslist and eBay?

cowboom.com is a bestbuy website for refurbished electronics, quite a wide selection of smart phones at decent prices. Have found last year's Android phones for $100 less than my craigslist market.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Lblitzer posted:

cowboom.com is a bestbuy website for refurbished electronics, quite a wide selection of smart phones at decent prices. Have found last year's Android phones for $100 less than my craigslist market.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

If she is the account holder or knows the password sprint reps will usually do anything you want, especially sales related. If she isn't the account holder a lot of sprint reps will still run it through. Sad, but happens when you are dealing with commissionable people.

SA mart?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Any reason that my E4GT now takes 1+ seconds for the screen to turn on vs. its previous instant on?

All I've done is installed an SD card and used App 2 SD Pro to move things over. Still instant ons while plugged in.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

If she is the account holder or knows the password sprint reps will usually do anything you want, especially sales related. If she isn't the account holder a lot of sprint reps will still run it through. Sad, but happens when you are dealing with commissionable people.

SA mart?

That's pretty crappy and scary but all the more reason to keep the password safe.

I don't think he has an SA account but I can buy it for him if need be. Thanks for the help on this!

On my end, I'll probably drop my contract for the Galaxy Nexus in July or so. I'm guessing it'll be out by then.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Duckman2008 posted:

Well since Sprint doesn't have 'authorized users' isn't anyone who has the pin code considered a valid authorized user? Or is Sprint's official policy that ONLY the account owner is allowed to upgrade/hardware swap/plan change etc?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

SeaborneClink posted:

Well since Sprint doesn't have 'authorized users' isn't anyone who has the pin code considered a valid authorized user? Or is Sprint's official policy that ONLY the account owner is allowed to upgrade/hardware swap/plan change etc?

In this case, since the plan is under her name, she can do whatever she wants.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
What does it mean when my battery icon looks like this on my Evo 3D?

Phone about to explode?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

GigaPeon posted:

What does it mean when my battery icon looks like this on my Evo 3D?

Phone about to explode?

Don't look now, but Solid Snake may be creeping up to break your neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Mark Larson posted:

In this case, since the plan is under her name, she can do whatever she wants.

Yes I know, my point being AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon all have the ability to add someone as an authorized user, officially notated in a specific place on the account, whereas Sprint does not and only uses a 6 digit PIN or secret question/answer challenge to authenticate the account.