Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

NosmoKing posted:

So very English.

Sure, we're going to take part in ending civilization and killing millions of people with nuclear weapons, but we're going to do it with style.

Were they terribly unreliable though, that's a cornerstone of English engineering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Chantilly Say posted:

Would anyone be interested in my posting excerpts from In Retrospect, McNamara's book on the failures in US foreign policy and military decisionmaking that led to our involvement in Vietnam? I'm reading it now and finding it an interesting read, and though there's not much "AIRPOWER" in it there is plenty of "Cold War." The airpower-related bits have to do with the decisionmaking on the use of strategic bombing.

The failures in US foreign policy and military decision making that let to our involvement in Vietnam included "letting McNamara have any input in foreign policy and military decision making."

I hope to God that man is spending eternity burning in hell.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

Boomerjinks posted:

Thanks guys!

Here's a video of Backfire M3s performing a few low passes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-MHEiOUK6c
Not sure if the m3 retained the downward-firing ejection seats of the original Tu-22, but either way ...:drat:

Does anyone know of any photographs of the (I think) M-4 that buzzed a U.S. carrier? The clip was featured in the Wings of Russia bomber segment, but I can't seem to find anything else on it.

I dont think you understood. You are a childish excuse for a human being; an attention-starved waste of flesh whose value as a person is so vastly negative that it defies accurate measure. If a man is to be judged by the character of his actions, you are fundamentally worse than about 95% of the populace. Your pursuit of reinforcement for your insignificant, goony cars is possibly the saddest thing I've seen on these forums in years, and its consistency and unending presence in abjectly unrelated situations would be worthy of pity if you weren't such an unlikable, contemptible creature.

I wasnt kidding. You are a horrible stain of a person and no one would miss you if you disappeared; least of all these forums. Leave TFR now, but leave SA as a whole as fast as possible thereafter.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

What the what?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Gtab posted:

:words:

Whether he deserves it or not, Helldump was closed for a reason.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

priznat posted:

What the what?
According to Google a contractual problem with a custom Jeep came to the attention of The Internet for about an hour and a half.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
Oh no, he's been a giant piece of poo poo for waaaay longer than that.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

But this is the Cold War thread, not the internet slapfightery thread!

GENTLEMEN YOU CAN'T FIGHT IN HERE, THIS IS THE WAR ROOM!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Gtab posted:

I dont think you understood. You are a childish excuse for a human being; an attention-starved waste of flesh whose value as a person is so vastly negative that it defies accurate measure. If a man is to be judged by the character of his actions, you are fundamentally worse than about 95% of the populace. Your pursuit of reinforcement for your insignificant, goony cars is possibly the saddest thing I've seen on these forums in years, and its consistency and unending presence in abjectly unrelated situations would be worthy of pity if you weren't such an unlikable, contemptible creature.

I wasnt kidding. You are a horrible stain of a person and no one would miss you if you disappeared; least of all these forums. Leave TFR now, but leave SA as a whole as fast as possible thereafter.

Give it to me straight, Gtab: Better or worse than Bob McNamara?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Gtab posted:

You are a horrible stain of a person and no one would miss you if you disappeared; least of all these forums. Leave TFR now, but leave SA as a whole as fast as possible thereafter.

Oh come off it. You guys have been really great - you have the best North Korea thread on the loving planet, TFR goons helped me in a pinch when I needed to find M1s to give as wedding gifts, and this thread right here is probably my favorite thing on the boards next to the Aeronautical Insanity thread.

Moving ahead, I posted this in the aeronautical thread and there seems to be some debate.

quote:

I've had this little guy sitting on my nerdy knickknack shelf for fifteen years. I got it at Oskosh '97, when my CAP squadron was given the opportunity to ride a Wyoming air guard C-130 to the fly-in.

I was told it was an Avenger shell, and I bought it for like $6. Of course, I was 13 at the time, it now occurs to me that it probably isn't anything even closely related to an A-10 shell.

TFR is undoubtedly a greater knowledge base regarding munitions, you guys are really loving smart, I've been meaning to ask if you could me what it is?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Boomerjinks posted:

TFR is undoubtedly a greater knowledge base regarding munitions, you guys are really loving smart, I've been meaning to ask if you could me what it is?

Looks like a practice round of some sort of cannon.

IYAAYAS01 should be better at identifying it though, have you measured the Diameter?

Flikken fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 11, 2012

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Boomerjinks posted:

Oh come off it. You guys have been really great

I'm aware that TFR is great. You are not. I'm sure you see the problem with that.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Flikken posted:

Looks like a practice round of some sort of cannon.

IYAAYAS01 should be better at identifying it though, have you measured the Diameter?

lovely plastic ruler says 2.5cm. I don't have anything more precise at the moment.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Boomerjinks posted:

lovely plastic ruler says 2.5cm. I don't have anything more precise at the moment.

Might be out of a 25mm Bushmaster from a M2/3 Bradley, or a 25mm round out of a GAU-12 from a Harrier/AC-130.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Boomerjinks posted:

Oh come off it. You guys have been really great - you have the best North Korea thread on the loving planet, TFR goons helped me in a pinch when I needed to find M1s to give as wedding gifts, and this thread right here is probably my favorite thing on the boards next to the Aeronautical Insanity thread.

I don't know who you are but I want to point out that this isn't actually a response to what Gtab is saying.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Chantilly Say posted:

Would anyone be interested in my posting excerpts from In Retrospect, McNamara's book on the failures in US foreign policy and military decisionmaking that led to our involvement in Vietnam? I'm reading it now and finding it an interesting read, and though there's not much "AIRPOWER" in it there is plenty of "Cold War." The airpower-related bits have to do with the decisionmaking on the use of strategic bombing.

In a similar vein, Fog of War is a great documentary that I think has been posted before.

Link

e- better quality

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 11, 2012

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I enjoyed that doc a lot and found Mcnamara to be a sympathetic figure.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The period dealing with WWII is especially telling of how he changed as he got older. You can tell he's really bothered by his role in it.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

priznat posted:

I enjoyed that doc a lot and found Mcnamara to be a sympathetic figure.

I found him still razor sharp as an old man, keenly aware of the fact that he was playing real, no-bullshit "If I make the wrong choices here, I could literally end the civilized world, perhaps within the next hour" politics.

The part about Castro was chilling.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

priznat posted:

Were they terribly unreliable though, that's a cornerstone of English engineering.

My dad owned a BSA motorcycle. Beautiful, but a maintenance whore who barely ever worked right.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah he was a very smart dude, although some of his clever plans didn't translate as well into the real world as they looked on paper (TFX/F-111 for one - Interesting we're re-living that shitshow with the F-35 now!).

The brits can either make gorgeous stuff that is tempermental as hell (Jaguars, MGs, Concorde (avec les francais)) or ugly as poo poo stuff that works great (London Cabs, Land Rover Defender, English Electric Lightning). The only well engineered good looking thing I can think of is the Supermarine Spitfire.

priznat fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 11, 2012

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Would there be interest, then? The book covers the period leading up to his appointment as SecDef all the way through his tenure in that office. As with any primary source the words of the writer must be taken in context but I feel he makes an honest effort to give fair treatment to the subject. Like the documentary (which I'm also making my way through, in segments) he is up-front and apologetic about his role in the conflict and the mistakes he made which worsened the situation.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

For sure! More interesting info is always good.

Does it specify what he put on his hair to get that marvelous sheen? I'm guessing pomade.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Gtab posted:

Oh no, he's been a giant piece of poo poo for waaaay longer than that.

Jesus gently caress gtab, calm down. He paid his :10bux: and been banned a gently caress of a lot less than you have.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

slidebite posted:

Jesus gently caress gtab, calm down. He paid his :10bux: and been banned a gently caress of a lot less than you have.
Yeah, it's an unjust world.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

slidebite posted:

I agree, we need to tighten signup restrictions around here, or just ban idiots more.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.

Gtab posted:

I agree, we need to tighten signup restrictions around here, or just ban idiots more.

I agree. Goodbye, gtab.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Do you mean to say that instead of making a hundred thousand bad posts in one night we should have made a lesser number, or none, and have our posters cross the beaches of TFR and banned in the tens of thousands? Is that what you're proposing? Is that moral? Is that wise?

powers
Jul 26, 2005

The Maller is an Amarrian frigate, used by hotdroppers.

~SMcD

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

I agree. Goodbye, gtab.
You forgot this :commissar:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

I agree. Goodbye, gtab.

When you look too long into the abyss, you run the danger of falling into it

powers
Jul 26, 2005

The Maller is an Amarrian frigate, used by hotdroppers.

~SMcD

atomicthumbs posted:

When you look too long into the abyss, you run the danger of falling into it

He who fights monsters~~~~~~~

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

BigLove
Nov 19, 2009

BigLove fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 11, 2012

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Apropos of nothing whatsoever here is a picture of an overrated plane that was canceled, leaving behind nothing but legions of fanboys who gaze upon its negligible impact and history with the desperate rose-tinted lenses of nostalgia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agustin Cienfuegos
May 7, 2008