Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah I'm really curious myself, I hope it has both versions or at least the smile box version.

It doesn't as far as I know. The three pack seems to only have disc 1 from the original release (the smilebox version was on disc 2)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caiman posted:

Apparently they didn't.

That's incredibly disappointing. What exactly is the reason for this DNR bullshit? Is it just because they think the consumer won't think it looks "high def" enough without it?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

That's incredibly disappointing. What exactly is the reason for this DNR bullshit? Is it just because they think the consumer won't think it looks "high def" enough without it?

That's exactly it. Grain = Film dirt in their minds.

What an ugly transfer, they'll say about a naturally grainy movie. DNR is applied. We weep.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

That's exactly it. Grain = Film dirt in their minds.

What an ugly transfer, they'll say about a naturally grainy movie. DNR is applied. We weep.

Between this and finding out what was done to the French Connection, this has been a sad day.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

CPL593H posted:

Between this and finding out what was done to the French Connection, this has been a sad day.

ALL santa suits should have a cheery radioactive glow, darnit. FRIEEEEEEDKIIIIIIIN :sassargh:

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Why does it say back to the future I thought that was already out

Saturniid19
Aug 1, 2006
brought to you by North Central Positronics
Single movie release, same for Jurassic Park.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Saturniid19 posted:

Single movie release, same for Jurassic Park.

We already got that in Europe :smug:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Where the hell is Rear Window? :mad:

:(

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

Where the hell is Rear Window? :mad:

:(

Speaking of which, those Hitchcock covers are ugly as hell.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Speaking of which, those Hitchcock covers are ugly as hell.

They really should have just used the original poster art for all of them. It's probably a can of worms with people wanting "new and improved" art though.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Darkman could look a whole lot better, but for something you can get a BR/DVD combo of for like $8 at Wal-Mart, it's worth grabbing.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Deer Hunter preorder is up at Amazon. March 6 - $13.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B006TTC5DQ

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

Darkman could look a whole lot better, but for something you can get a BR/DVD combo of for like $8 at Wal-Mart, it's worth grabbing.

The price of the disc isn't the issue here. It's the fact that they defaced the film and ruined the aesthetic. Especially when they could have made it look the best it ever has. It's kind of annoying they do this in the name of pleasing consumers who have no idea what they're talking about.

Also, removing the yellowish filter from Do the Right Thing is just a loving travesty.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

CPL593H posted:

Also, removing the yellowish filter from Do the Right Thing is just a loving travesty.

"Scorching summer day in Bed-Stuy to pleasant fall day in Bed-Stuy? Nobody'll care. Besides, we've got to save all that color timing for all the teal-and-orange blockbusters that really need it."

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

CPL593H posted:

Like many other Universal properties thus far, Criterion will eventually release their own version on blu-ray.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
In the Ultimate Matrix Collection box set, is the Animatrix on BD as well, or just DVD?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Hatter106 posted:

In the Ultimate Matrix Collection box set, is the Animatrix on BD as well, or just DVD?

It's Blu-Ray and in 1080p

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Sporadic posted:

It's Blu-Ray and in 1080p

It's kind of sickening how lovely the packaging for the blu ray is when the dvd packaging has really nice cases and disc art.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

ApexAftermath posted:

It's kind of sickening how lovely the packaging for the blu ray is when the dvd packaging has really nice cases and disc art.

I could deal with lovely packaging if the publishers respected the material enough not to ruin it when they transfer it to Blu-ray.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm still angry.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Oh hey, Chinatown is coming out April 3rd and Carnage is coming out March 30th.

Preorders are already up at Amazon.

Chinatown = $18.99 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B006VC3LES
Carnage = $24.99 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B006QVRUS2

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Sporadic posted:

Oh god yes I've been waiting for Chinatown since I started buying blurays.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Devlan Mud posted:

Oh god yes I've been waiting for Chinatown since I started buying blurays.

I pretty much just had that same reaction. My eyes almost bulged out of my head. Amazing news!

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Yeah, that's fantastic, one of my most wanted.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Sporadic posted:

I have Chinatown on (*sigh*) HD-DVD. Is this a simple change of format or did they put some work into it?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

TheScott2K posted:

I have Chinatown on (*sigh*) HD-DVD. Is this a simple change of format or did they put some work into it?

Um, I've never heard of Chinatown being released on HD-DVD (and I kept tabs on just about everything that was released on that format). Where did you get it from?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Sporadic posted:

Um, I've never heard of Chinatown being released on HD-DVD (and I kept tabs on just about everything that was released on that format). Where did you get it from?

You're exactly right, I was thinking of The Sting, my mistake.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Chinatown details.

quote:

Paramount's Blu-ray presents the film in its 2.39:1 original aspect ratio with both 5.1 and restored monaural Dolby TrueHD audio tracks. The disc also carries a number of bonus supplements, including:
- Commentary with Robert Towne and David Fincher
- Three-part Water and Power documentary with Robert Towne:
The Aqueduct
The Aftermath
The River & Beyond
- Chinatown: An Appreciation retrospective with filmmakers Steven Soderbergh, James Newton Howard, Kimberly Peirce, and Roger Deakins
- Three behind-the-scenes featurettes:
Chinatown: The Beginning and the End
Chinatown: Filming
Chinatown: The Legacy
- Theatrical trailer

In addition, the Blu-ray contains a slipcover with the original theatrical poster art as well as a collectible booklet with information about the film.

----------

Universal issued a press release from CES that confirms most of what was posted earlier.

quote:

Universal Studios Home Entertainment will kick off the celebration in January with a special 50th anniversary release of To Kill a Mockingbird, debuting on Blu-rayTM for the first time ever. Throughout the year, Universal will pay tribute to other influential films in the Universal library with special events and Blu-rayTM releases of such iconic classics as Jaws and E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial, which celebrates its 30th anniversary.

(...)

Major Film Restoration Commitment
Universal will restore 13 films over the course of the centennial year. The restoration effort includes the following films: All Quiet on the Western Front, The Birds, Buck Privates, Dracula (1931), Dracula Spanish (1931), Frankenstein, Jaws, Schindler's List, Out of Africa, Pillow Talk, Bride of Frankenstein, The Sting and To Kill a Mockingbird.

(...)

Home Entertainment
Universal Home Entertainment will be introducing a limited edition 100th Anniversary Collector's Series featuring some of the aforementioned film restorations on Blu-rayTM in collectible, book-style packaging showcasing rare movie memorabilia and brand new 10-minute video featurettes. In addition, special collections will be released throughout the year, culminating in the highly anticipated Blu-rayTM releases of Universal's Classic Monster and Alfred Hitchcock series. A selection of movies that have shaped Universal's legacy will also be released in commemorative packaging, many of them on Blu-rayTM for the first time ever.

----------

TheScott2K posted:

You're exactly right, I was thinking of The Sting, my mistake.

Good news :)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 10, 2012

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I'd never heard about the Spanish version of Dracula. That sounds really interesting.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

morestuff posted:

I'd never heard about the Spanish version of Dracula. That sounds really interesting.

It's much prettier than the American one, but it is long as gently caress by comparison.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
So glad they used Chinatown's poster. It's classy as gently caress.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
In anticipation of Skyfall, MGM/Fox are releasing Bond 50, a box set of all 22 Bond movies, along with brand new extras. No pricing or specific date announced, full story here.

I'm not the first and I certainly won't be the last to say that I hope they release the remaining Bond films separately. I already own many of the single releases, and I'd like to avoid rebuying the vast majority of them just to get GoldenEye and a couple others I want.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Space_Butler posted:

In anticipation of Skyfall, MGM/Fox are releasing Bond 50, a box set of all 22 Bond movies, along with brand new extras. No pricing or specific date announced, full story here.

I'm not the first and I certainly won't be the last to say that I hope they release the remaining Bond films separately. I already own many of the single releases, and I'd like to avoid rebuying the vast majority of them just to get GoldenEye and a couple others I want.
Bastards. I already have all 6 UK singles, but the price for all of them is good enough (£90) that I might as well get it. I hope they're all in individual cases at least, I've waited long enough for other the other classics to come out. Give me my Licence to Kill, jerks.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Space_Butler posted:

These should be good. The digital restorations they did for the 'ultimate' DVD boxed sets were really nice. I haven't picked up any on Blu-ray (aside from the most recent 2) since I've been waiting for the inevitable full set.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I just want Goldeneye v :shobon: v

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Bond 50 preorder is up at Amazon. $199.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B006U1J5ZY

Much better than the price they had just a few minutes ago.

(and yes that was from Amazon not a third party)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Sporadic posted:

Bond 50 preorder is up at Amazon. $199.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B006U1J5ZY

Much better than the price they had just a few minutes ago.

(and yes that was from Amazon not a third party)

Maybe that's the limited edition that comes with a Vanquish

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I just want Goldeneye v :shobon: v
This times a million

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I just want Goldeneye, OHMSS, TLD, TSWLM :shobon:

• Locked thread