Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Pablo Bluth posted:

All 199 episodes of Time Team.

While not exactly comedy but still seriously watch this. The theme tune is cracking and Tony Robinson is a delightfully informative relaxed presenter who is passionate for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The banter and chemistry that sometimes comes up between the Time Team presenters is what the Top Gear lads dream of having.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

A5H posted:

Why does live football look pretty poo poo in HD? Is it because they can't beam it all about at a decent bitrate or something? It's really annoying.

What channel? I watched a couple of episodes of Alphas on one of the digital Channel 5, er, channels, to see if it was any cop, but suffered from blocky bits. In that respect, it seemed at times like the same quality of a non-HD TV rip.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Carpet posted:

What channel? I watched a couple of episodes of Alphas on one of the digital Channel 5, er, channels, to see if it was any cop, but suffered from blocky bits. In that respect, it seemed at times like the same quality of a non-HD TV rip.

ESPN HD & ITV HD. Every HD channel is pretty lovely usually except for the BBC one.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Kraxis posted:

Only ConnectChat: My god The Crossworders are absolutely insane at that game.
Fun facts: Ian Bayley the Crossworder also won last year's mastermind. Also he lectures at Oxford Brookes university and was my final year project supervisor. He's a cool dude and his head is that big in real life :3:

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

A5H posted:

Why does live football look pretty poo poo in HD? Is it because they can't beam it all about at a decent bitrate or something? It's really annoying.

The Tottenham FA cup highlights on ITV looked like something ripped off of youtube circa 2006, it was dreadful. I dont know how ITV sport constantly fucks up. BBC sport do a good job to be fair.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Anyone else watching the Great Sport Relief Bake Off? Usually I'm not a fan of these sort of celebrity versions of shows, but I think the show format is just too good to suck, no matter how it's used.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Pablo Bluth posted:

Another 4oD recommendation: Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

Nonononono. Get this one on DVD. Watch it once straight, once with commentaries.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Kerbtree posted:

Nonononono. Get this one on DVD. Watch it once straight, once with commentaries.

Yes, the DVD extras for Darkplace are comedy gold and should be listened too whilst watching the series a 2nd time.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Anyone else watching the Great Sport Relief Bake Off? Usually I'm not a fan of these sort of celebrity versions of shows, but I think the show format is just too good to suck, no matter how it's used.

I'm watching because I'm incapable of not watching the GBBO in any variation, but it's definitely not as good with rank amateur celebrities. The regular version with the madly perfectionist bakers is much more fun to watch.

Bless the blonde woman who wrecks her workstation every five minutes though; she's going to give Hollywood a nervous breakdown if she stays.

And who's the smirking, smug youngest bloke with the voice that sounds like it hasn't quite broken yet? He's annoying. I hope he stays so I can hate him and his savoury meringues a bit more.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

LE0N posted:

The Tottenham FA cup highlights on ITV looked like something ripped off of youtube circa 2006, it was dreadful. I dont know how ITV sport constantly fucks up. BBC sport do a good job to be fair.

Football's nasty as the algorithms that try to predict how things are moving get confused by the majority of the image being pretty much the same shade of green.

There muse be specialized encoders for it by now, surely?

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Brown Moses posted:

As someone who followed Masterchef and TGBBO last year, thanks for mentioning this. I think I've got my weekly program sorted for this season now :)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Watching Coppers on 4oD. It broke for an advert break to show me an advert for.... Coppers.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
OnlyConnectChat: Please stop flirting with the dorks, Victoria, you suck at it.

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I don't think I will ever get tired of the faces Greg Wallace pulls in Masterchef. The man's just so expressive.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Watching Coppers on 4oD. It broke for an advert break to show me an advert for.... Coppers.

Coppers is bloody brilliant

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Brainwrong posted:

Coppers is bloody brilliant

I prefer Coppers

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

While not exactly comedy but still seriously watch this. The theme tune is cracking and Tony Robinson is a delightfully informative relaxed presenter who is passionate for it.

I've always watched Time Team, but recently my brother has been watching those tacky American shows on Discovery like Ice Road Truckers, American Pickers, American Chopper, Axe Men Swamp People SonsofGunsPawnStarsHardcorePawnStorageWarsOperationRepo and so forth, and I had to think to myself what an American Time Team would be like and I've just got this horrible image of heavy guitar riffs accompanying montages of digging and the equivalent of Tony Robinson and the Cornish guy having massive arguments and throwing ancient pottery at eachother.

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 11, 2012

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Bugger all to dig up in America anyway.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
"And here's another mass grave of Natives."

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Maybe they could search for the historical truth about the lost tribe of Israel and the Native Americans.

gwaaargh
Jul 7, 2010

by XyloJW
I think they gave it a go, but it never took off.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

:lol:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

They dedicate an entire episode to finding Jimmy Hoffas remains.

But seriously gently caress the sell out of the History channel to demographics. It is a niche subject anyways argh!

Love Like Blood
Sep 9, 2009
Interview with Alan Moore about to come on Channel 4 news (7.45pm)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
You can watch the Time Team America episodes on the pbs website.
http://video.pbs.org/program/time-team-america/

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

I'm watching The Mystery of Edwin Drood, and while it's very good so far, I can't get the image of Rory Kinnear sexing a pig out of my head.

It's kind of tarnishing his lovely performance as the marvelous, morally upright Reverend Crisparkle.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Trin Tragula posted:

The banter and chemistry that sometimes comes up between the Time Team presenters is what the Top Gear lads dream of having.

Speaking of Time Team, I've always has a soft spot for We Are History.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Not on DVD :(

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
More Netflix chat -

It's weird that you have to sign up to see a full selection since the US site allows you to browse their catalogue even if your not a member. And on that note, everyone should really get themselves unblock-us and have access to the US site. Way more extensive (All the seasons of The Twilight Zone in HD? Yes please). Oddly they have more British TV to select from than we do (Want every episode of Midsommer Murders? Of course you do).

There are some things we have that they don't. For example they don't have Californication or Dexter.

As for the quality. I thought both sites were excellent. I watched the pilot episode of Lost in HD and it looked great. Even their SD stuff looks fine. Much much better than Lovefilm, who equate SD to a pixelated mess and who offer no HD content where available.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

DrVenkman posted:

It's weird that you have to sign up to see a full selection since the US site allows you to browse their catalogue even if your not a member. And on that note, everyone should really get themselves unblock-us and have access to the US site. Way more extensive (All the seasons of The Twilight Zone in HD? Yes please). Oddly they have more British TV to select from than we do (Want every episode of Midsommer Murders? Of course you do).

I wasn't sure what you were on about here so I looked into it.

Turns out a Netflix account is universal, it's only your location that dictates what content you get. So if you have a netflix account and an American VPN, you can get all the US content stuff. Apparently.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Before watching New Tricks tonight (yeah I know), I'd never heard anyone say the word "feminazi" out loud. Also, they threw in 2 "manginas".

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
I have no idea what direction they are taking Todd Margaret, but holy gently caress how much worse can they make the Margaret character appear. The Young and Not legal joke is killing me.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Stormageddon posted:

I have no idea what direction they are taking Todd Margaret, but holy gently caress how much worse can they make the Margaret character appear. The Young and Not legal joke is killing me.
S2 or S1 repeat?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
S2 is on in the US.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
Season 2, they cut the courtroom beginning for something else entirely...it's starting to seem like Todd is the start of WW3 or the end of the world or something.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

DrVenkman posted:

More Netflix chat -

I've had a look at this and tried it out, seems good so far, there's obviously a lot more stuff, but how legal is this though? Like, what are the chances Netflix are gonna find out I'm streaming US stuff?

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I don't really see the need for a pay-to-use service that unblocks foreign video content given the massive prevalence of those tv-stream link sites. They aren't even illegal to use to the best of my knowledge.

Royality
Jun 27, 2006
The Royal Bodyguard is so bad I've had to watch all 3 really bad episodes on iplayer because I still can't fathom how such a bad programme could have been made without anyone stopping and saying 'hold on this is really bad'.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Royality posted:

The Royal Bodyguard is so bad I've had to watch all 3 really bad episodes on iplayer because I still can't fathom how such a bad programme could have been made without anyone stopping and saying 'hold on this is really bad'.

David Jason is in it man. That is always a clue to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

I've had a look at this and tried it out, seems good so far, there's obviously a lot more stuff, but how legal is this though? Like, what are the chances Netflix are gonna find out I'm streaming US stuff?

Low to non-existent, would be my guess.
Actually logging into Netflix via Unblock US, a splash screen informed me that using Netflix 'as I travel' would let me access different amounts of stuff.

Well, gently caress off. £6 p/m for access to the content they have for US customers is quite reasonable, but having to pay an extra $5 p/m to access it is creeping into 'am I going to get my money's worth?'