Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

jwvgoethe posted:

Hey guys, shot for the first time today using my lighting, here are some photos of my friend, don't know how to upload the (large) full res other than dropbox links. No retouching has been done yet.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33476113/mbest/IMG_6077.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33476113/mbest/IMG_6078.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33476113/mbest/IMG_6207.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33476113/mbest/IMG_6247.jpg

e: criticism very welcome, I know the background is not ideal, but we went with what we had for the time. In the process of putting some kind of studio in my basement.

Try and pull your subject away from the background and then light the background separate to the subject, if you don't have enough lights for this still pull your subject back. If you're going for traditional portrait light it's not normally a good idea to have a dead-set front on light, that just flattens everything out. You normally want it at least 45 degrees to one side. I normally recommend more, in fact I'd normally recommend about 110 degrees, so that your light is upstage from you and your subject but that's because I'm used to lighting for films. Composition wise you're leaving way too much head room, if I'm doing traditional portrait stuff I generally place their eyes at about the top thirds line.

Also http://imgur.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
What do you want criticism on the most, then? I ask because you know yourself that the backgrounds are no good.

1.)It looks like you're using two lights camera right. You don't need both lights on that side. What lights do you have?

2.)You seem to be using a high ISO and only the last pic is in focus, or close to being in focus. Did you also use a slow shutter speed?

3.)Have you set your white balance correctly? Setting it to "flash" should help a little.

4.)She's also pretty central in the photo, which is an unappealing composition decision most of the time.

Which of those do you want me to expand on?

jwvgoethe
Jan 17, 2011
I was using two 250 watt bulbs at about 3200 K, without a diffuser. They were to the left and right of the camera, I pointed one to the ceiling and another on the floor so as not bother the model by having them directly in her face.

I was using a shutter speed of 200 on a 50mm 1.8 on my crop sensor, aperture about 2.8, which, in hindsight didn't seem to be enough as she was quickly changing her poses. I had my ISO set to auto for convenience, ISO ranges from 800-1000 in these images. I can apply noise reduction in post.

Anyway, I shot about 350 images, was using manual focus point with only the middle on my Canon T3i, so focusing might have been a problem, I've noticed that so many of my images are out of focus. To the novice's eye, I think they look pretty good, but I came here for more serious criticism, so thanks.

I had limited space to work with, so I don't know really how I could have pulled her further back, I was already stepping out into the hall, a wider lens might be the answer?

Thanks for the tips on lighting angles and composition.

chadxor
Jun 28, 2008

Do the colors work here? Is it too muted in the background?

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

jwvgoethe posted:

I was using two 250 watt bulbs at about 3200 K, without a diffuser. They were to the left and right of the camera, I pointed one to the ceiling and another on the floor so as not bother the model by having them directly in her face.

I was using a shutter speed of 200 on a 50mm 1.8 on my crop sensor, aperture about 2.8, which, in hindsight didn't seem to be enough as she was quickly changing her poses. I had my ISO set to auto for convenience, ISO ranges from 800-1000 in these images. I can apply noise reduction in post.

Anyway, I shot about 350 images, was using manual focus point with only the middle on my Canon T3i, so focusing might have been a problem, I've noticed that so many of my images are out of focus. To the novice's eye, I think they look pretty good, but I came here for more serious criticism, so thanks.

I had limited space to work with, so I don't know really how I could have pulled her further back, I was already stepping out into the hall, a wider lens might be the answer?

Thanks for the tips on lighting angles and composition.

1/200 wasn't fast enough at 50mm? You should be able to get down to 1/80 or so and still have no handshake in your photos. If she's moving too fast, tell her to slow down and actually hold a pose for a second. I think it's around 1/30 where you start to get subject motion blur, so 1/80 should be fine if she's standing still. I would definitely reduce my iso. Sure you can do it in post, but why not just do it in camera? (that being said, I left my camera on iso 800 for a landscape shot on a tripod tonight :downs:)

In terms of not having enough room to pull her away from the wall, you've got a ton of negative space around her in most of those. Definitely pull her away from the wall and just take a more closely cropped frame of her, even if it turns out to be just a headshot - her body language in most of those isn't really dynamic enough to warrant the need for a full length portrait anyway, in my opinion. You would get rid of the shadow behind her, the background would be more separated from the subject, and it would just overall create a more pleasing portrait. I wouldn't go wider - wider lenses for portraits tend to have an unflattering effect, and like I said, I don't think it's necessary as you've got quite a bit of negative space around her already.

Try going outside, even if it's winter (snow makes for pretty light, I think). You can practice your composition and focus with natural light, so don't have to worry about everything at once. And then you can back up as far as you need to to get a full length shot and practice those if you don't have enough indoor space yet.

Also 350 images for 1 practice portrait session? Holy bananas, I thought I shot a lot. Should let you practice getting focus though! She seems like a willing model, and has a nice natural smile so take advantage of that and practice practice!

CB_Tube_Knight
May 11, 2011

Red Head Enthusiast
Got together with a girl on Saturday to try and do some photos, she was really happy with how they came out. There are like 500 of these things, I'm shocked with how many pictures I was able to get in a short time.

Amanda1 by cythieus, on Flickr

Amanda_2226-edit by cythieus, on Flickr

Amanda_2297-2 by cythieus, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
In the first one where is the majority of the light/flash/whatever? It's not on her face, which is where it should be.

The second picture is underexposed. I've noticed that a lot of you pictures have exposure problems... It's definitely something you're going to need to tackle if you want to improve as a photographer.

I think the third one is the best of the three. Here's a tip for the next time you take photos of someone: do it against a white or some other solid color wall. The backgrounds in these photos are rather bad.

Also using such an orange light on a blue/gray overcast day looks bad.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

jwvgoethe posted:

Hey guys, shot for the first time today using my lighting, here are some photos of my friend, don't know how to upload the (large) full res other than dropbox links. No retouching has been done yet.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33476113/mbest/IMG_6077.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33476113/mbest/IMG_6078.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33476113/mbest/IMG_6207.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33476113/mbest/IMG_6247.jpg

e: criticism very welcome, I know the background is not ideal, but we went with what we had for the time. In the process of putting some kind of studio in my basement.

I know you were talking about not having enough space, but honestly I think you're TOO far back. The first and last ones would be good, composition-wise, if you just tilted your camera down and came in a bit. There's way too much negative space above her. Also, this has a nasty side effect of cutting off her feet. She has feet, right? :ohdear:

The middle two don't work (for me) because of the orientation. The lamp and the wardrobe(?) aren't doing anything for me. Again, turn your camera the other way, and move in more :)

People have already mentioned the lighting - the double shadows off to one side look kind of odd.

So, that's just my two cents. Shoot, share, learn, repeat! Keep at it!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

CB_Tube_Knight posted:

This photo would be wonderful if it weren't backlit, thus underexposing her. Definitely pay attention to how the sun is falling on her! Use a reflector if you need to. She's a beautiful model, and this would be the best picture of the three if she had a little more light on her.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

chadxor posted:

Do the colors work here? Is it too muted in the background?

No, I think it works really well. Her gingerness pops out of the muted background better. It's funny, she looks so much like a model I've worked with on a few occasions.
My only critique is that in the moment of getting a nice natural expression from her, that expression has sort of distorted her face and hid her eyes from us. She's obviously looking into or very close to into the camera, but we can barely see her eyes because of how closed they are. If you got something similar but with wider eyes I'd suggest that should make the cut sooner.
Overall a nice shot.

CB_Tube_Knight posted:

Got together with a girl on Saturday to try and do some photos, she was really happy with how they came out. There are like 500 of these things, I'm shocked with how many pictures I was able to get in a short time.

Amanda1 by cythieus, on Flickr

Amanda_2297-2 by cythieus, on Flickr

As others have said, the lighting in the 1st and 3rd is effectively excluding the rest of the picture around her. Your color temperatures are obviously mixing too, and not in a successful way.
As far as the second shot goes, I don't mind backlighting- I do it myself all the time- but in this case there isn't some compositional reason for it and the result falls flat.

One thing I've noticed in these three shots is that your location really isn't part of your picture. Sure it's in it, but that's not the same thing. She's have just as much relationship to her setting if she was in front of a white backdrop. If you're going to shoot on location, have the location play a role in the picture, and have the subject exist in the location.

My Flickr Page! :nws:

CB_Tube_Knight
May 11, 2011

Red Head Enthusiast

RangerScum posted:

In the first one where is the majority of the light/flash/whatever? It's not on her face, which is where it should be.

The second picture is underexposed. I've noticed that a lot of you pictures have exposure problems... It's definitely something you're going to need to tackle if you want to improve as a photographer.

I think the third one is the best of the three. Here's a tip for the next time you take photos of someone: do it against a white or some other solid color wall. The backgrounds in these photos are rather bad.

Also using such an orange light on a blue/gray overcast day looks bad.

The sky was actually completely clear the whole day, we were just underneath something.

As for the light, there's this very low hanging light on the railing and its literally just to the side of her so most of that light comes from there. I'm using the speedlite too though. I should have probably gotten her more, under the light instead of next to it.

The exposure thing I'm not exactly sure how to adjust to fix it so I will have to look over the settings I'm using and see if there's some issue there.

QPZIL posted:

This photo would be wonderful if it weren't backlit, thus underexposing her. Definitely pay attention to how the sun is falling on her! Use a reflector if you need to. She's a beautiful model, and this would be the best picture of the three if she had a little more light on her.

Is this something I can fix with the RAW?

McMadCow posted:

As others have said, the lighting in the 1st and 3rd is effectively excluding the rest of the picture around her. Your color temperatures are obviously mixing too, and not in a successful way.
As far as the second shot goes, I don't mind backlighting- I do it myself all the time- but in this case there isn't some compositional reason for it and the result falls flat.

One thing I've noticed in these three shots is that your location really isn't part of your picture. Sure it's in it, but that's not the same thing. She's have just as much relationship to her setting if she was in front of a white backdrop. If you're going to shoot on location, have the location play a role in the picture, and have the subject exist in the location.

I'm going to have to come up with ideas on how exactly where I want to do any other shoots because parks just seem be a bit too much for me to work with right now and I'm thinking that if I had something more single use I could get a straight forward set of pictures out of it.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Try this: go location scouting before you take your model. Take some test shots there, get a feel for some nice background scenes and then take your model to that scene and fit her in it.

Try and think about how it looks when it is a flat, 2D image, if that makes sense. For example, with this image of mine from a couple of pages ago:

Gazmachine posted:

I arrived 30 minutes early and hastily scooted around the interview location like a loon, looking for an interesting background and snapping a few test shots. I chose this background because of the various lines and shapes going on, the camera and the sort of natural frame in the bottom right where I would be placing my subject(s). You can also practice getting the correct exposure this way, too.

You should be in control of your exposure levels before you do anything, really, so I would read up on exposure and how shutter speed, aperture and ISO affect your exposure levels before you move ahead. Once you get a firm grasp of the basics and put it into practice, the easier the shots will come.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Gazmachine posted:

You should be in control of your exposure levels before you do anything, really, so I would read up on exposure and how shutter speed, aperture and ISO affect your exposure levels before you move ahead. Once you get a firm grasp of the basics and put it into practice, the easier the shots will come.

I agree with this. CB_Tube_Knight, keep in mind that the reflective meter in your camera is not generally going to give you the correct exposure when shooting (Caucasian) skin. You need to learn how to account for this.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

It's like learning guitar without learning scales. Which is why I suck at guitar.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

McMadCow posted:

I agree with this. CB_Tube_Knight, keep in mind that the reflective meter in your camera is not generally going to give you the correct exposure when shooting (Caucasian) skin. You need to learn how to account for this.

What's your exposure usually at where you shoot Caucasian skin? -1 ?

I realize it must change depending on the lightning but I'm still curious to see if there's a "general rule" on this.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

xenilk posted:

What's your exposure usually at where you shoot Caucasian skin? -1 ?

+1, actually. A reflective meter reads based on Zone V, but Caucasian skin is typically Zone VI, which means you need to add a stop of exposure.

NOTE: I'm speaking generally, and not addressing things like Nikon matrix metering or anything like that.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

McMadCow posted:

+1, actually. A reflective meter reads based on Zone V, but Caucasian skin is typically Zone VI, which means you need to add a stop of exposure.

NOTE: I'm speaking generally, and not addressing things like Nikon matrix metering or anything like that.

What, really? I'll have to give it a shot with bracketed exposure and see the difference myself.

Consider my mind blown, ha ha. Good to know, thanks!

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Is there a guide on that somewhere, where it just lays out the basics and the science behind why?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

A guide to what? How meters work and what they report? All reflective meters report based on their target being 18% reflective grey. If what you point your meter at isn't in fact middle grey, you're not going to get a true result. This is why we have grey cards. You can point your meter at a known value like a grey card and get your exposure for your lighting situation. Caucasian skin is MORE reflective than 18% grey, so your meter will report an exposure that is lower than what it needs to be.
This is easy to test- just put a grey card next to a Caucasian model's face and point a spot meter at both of them. The model's skin will show a lower exposure value than the grey card.

If you don't have an incident meter or a grey card with you in the field, the fastest way to get the right exposure for white skin is to set your meter to +1 and then meter the skin.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Alternatively, Canon hates white people.

But yeah, this is why I love my fact that even in shutter priority my canon allows me to overexpose by 2 stops, since I usually find that +2/3 to +1 is correct for white skin tones.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Alternatively you could invest in an incident meter and not care about reflective metering

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

RizieN posted:

Is there a guide on that somewhere, where it just lays out the basics and the science behind why?

This is pretty decent guide to lighting and retouching people.

http://www.amazon.com/Skin-Complete-Digitally-Photographing-Retouching/dp/0470592125/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326159723&sr=1-1

If you general photo science metering just read The Exposure by Ansel Adams and you will learn more than you will ever need to know.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

dukeku posted:

Alternatively you could invest in an incident meter and not care about reflective metering

I use an incident meter for my model work, but don't you as a landscape/architecture shooter primarily work with a spot meter...?

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

McMadCow posted:

I use an incident meter for my model work, but don't you as a landscape/architecture shooter primarily work with a spot meter...?

walk inside peoples houses and meter their interiors with incident meters erryday.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

McMadCow posted:

For landscape: point dome up, point dome down, guesstimate the average somewhere between there :snoop:

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

QPZIL posted:

For landscape: point dome up, point dome down, guesstimate the average somewhere between there :snoop:

:siren:Non-zone shooter spotted!:siren:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

McMadCow posted:

:siren:Non-zone shooter spotted!:siren:

Actually that was a joke - I spot meter the shadows that I was definition in, and then expose -2EV to get them in zone III, so boom :colbert:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Zones are for nerds. Things should be categorized as ' a bit darker than that bit over there, but lighter than this bit.'

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

McMadCow posted:

I can't afford a spot meter (too much film), so I psuedo-spot - I run around and take incident readings under different light and try to fudge the zone system that way

m4mbo
Oct 22, 2006

Shot some portraits at the Royal College of Music the other day, pretty pleased with the results:

m4mbo fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 10, 2012

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009
I took some pictures of my baby:

She never stands still, so out of the 50 000 photos I have of her, I'm sure over half is either the back of her head, or just a blurry shape running from me.
And if I do get eyecontact, she often just gives me this kind of grumpy stare, to tell me to quit asking for her to smile. She's obviously busy, like in the last photo. She was organizing cupcake wrappers, and I was in the way.

She's a very happy kid, and smiles all the time, just not to the camera.

She was younger in this photo:

And here's one of my little sister:

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

m4mbo posted:

Shot some portraits at the Royal College of Music the other day, pretty pleased with the results:

I really like these

yours too tekopp but you might want to resize the huge baby pic

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

tekopp posted:

I took some pictures of my baby:

She never stands still, so out of the 50 000 photos I have of her, I'm sure over half is either the back of her head, or just a blurry shape running from me.
And if I do get eyecontact, she often just gives me this kind of grumpy stare, to tell me to quit asking for her to smile. She's obviously busy, like in the last photo. She was organizing cupcake wrappers, and I was in the way.

She's a very happy kid, and smiles all the time, just not to the camera.

She was younger in this photo:

AAAAAAAAAAA My Tables!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

m4mbo posted:

Lighting and composition is really nice on the first one. The second is kinda boring.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

m4mbo posted:

What were you trying to accomplish with these?

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

tekopp posted:

Really like that one. She looks comfortable, the look is calm yet intense... the tones are great and the bokeh is a nice added bonus.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

m4mbo posted:

I really like the second one, what did you shoot that with? It has a great timeless feel, though the first is probably what most people would prefer from a portrait. Being a former music student makes that whiteboard feel very familiar to me.

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009
Sorry for the gigantic baby.

CB_Tube_Knight
May 11, 2011

Red Head Enthusiast
I think these pictures are way better than the original ones.

IMG_1964 by cythieus, on Flickr

IMG_1946 by cythieus, on Flickr

IMG_1939 by cythieus, on Flickr

IMG_1934 by cythieus, on Flickr

IMG_2146-2 by cythieus, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

CB_Tube_Knight posted:

I think these pictures are way better than the original ones.

IMG_1964 by cythieus, on Flickr

IMG_1946 by cythieus, on Flickr

IMG_1939 by cythieus, on Flickr

IMG_1934 by cythieus, on Flickr

IMG_2146-2 by cythieus, on Flickr

Are these from a second shoot with this girl or the same shoot? They are better. I will critique at some point for you (although I'm sure someone will beat me to it).