Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Andrigaar posted:

People impulse buy the unpopular games hoping it'll convince them to sell them the one they actually do want. Sounds like it's actually working on enough people that it continues.

No, I mean the other scenario, the one where no-one buys it and they give up on selling their old games - that would also have to be a win for it to be "win-win" for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

spacegoat posted:

Man I wish Alien Breed 2 was in that bundle; it'd change it from a temptation to a must by for me. Tower Assault is awesome, though.

Alien Breed 2 is unbelievably awful, though. I'm really glad it isn't there.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

doctorfrog posted:

It's either:

"We have no idea which hard drive in our vast collection may have the source code for Blood."
Last I heard, Atari doesn't have the source, Monolith does, they do know exactly where it is, and actually want to release it. It's just that Atari owns the Blood IP, won't sell it back, and won't give Lith permission to release the source.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

In all seriousness, though the games did get incrementally better up to about W:A, the original Worms engine has its own unique brand of charm, and I'd recommend playing it just to compare it to the modern engine. It's just that it's been a bit of a sod to get running on modern systems even within DOSbox, so I might actually grab this despite owning a CD copy.

It's only on Steam insofar, but I also really liked Worms Blast. It was a Bust-a-Move clone, sure, but a really good one.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

MonkeyforaHead posted:

It's only on Steam insofar, but I also really liked Worms Blast. It was a Bust-a-Move clone, sure, but a really good one.

Had that game for Gamecube, many a drunk night with that game. My second favorite Worms next to World Party.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Updated OP with Team 17 info.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Anyone know why fallout 1 runs like garbage on my netbook? Fallout 2 runs beautifully.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Worms (and Reinforcements/United) is the only one I ever played and I played A LOT. Very happy about this. I hope you can play without the United pack because it fucks up the ninja rope a bit.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Sale's over, so thread title may need to change. General suggestion:

GoG.com - Buy it again for the first/second/nth time

That, or anything that states that all Worms releases that are not Worms Armageddon can gently caress right off. C'MON GOG MAKE IT HAPPEN

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

If Project-X (one of Team17's Amiga titles) had a DOS port I'd laugh if it made it on GOG. It was a pretty dull shmup with a lot of cheap deaths. I think Superfrog has a minigame related to it.

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits
Is Alien Breed more or less just an arena type shooter? Is it strictly keyboard controls? It looks like something I'd enjoy but I never played it back in the day.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Superfrog is out.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

That's one smug looking frog.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Given that Worms 1 was my childhood and Reinforcements was my one DOS install that what got away (I think the problem was the copy of worms I had was OEM) I'm more than happy to let T17 "Win" on this one.

On a related note, World Rally, worth it?

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
Played Superfrog on Amiga I think. I can't believe they are charging for it.

There's nothing wrong with classic Worms and Worms United (& Reinforcements) was the best, combined version of it. Many hours spent typing crap into the landscape generator (STU, SHEEP, TRUTHOUT, BANANA and of course SPACE if you hate yourself). I remember filling a whole notepad one summer between me and my friends.

It'll be interesting to see what version of Armageddon GoG delivers, since it was refined over subsequent fan patches (which were actually endorsed by Team17 in the end).

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 16, 2012

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
They just posted this on Facebook

quote:

Big news! One of our most requested classic games is coming to GOG.com - DRM-free classic PC games. Cheap. on the 19th. Hint: its name starts with S ;)

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Charlie Mopps posted:

I'm hoping for System Shock or Syndicate. Oh god please

Freelancepolice
Apr 8, 2008

Charlie Mopps posted:

Superfrog 2 or The Sims :smug:

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.

duckfarts posted:

I'm hoping for System Shock or Syndicate. Oh god please
Syndicate seems likely considering they have other Bullfrog games up already. I hope.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

^^^^

Surely it'll be The Sims, but given it's EA, they won't release any of the expansion packs!

If not that, it'll be the timeless and beloved PS classic, Shadow Man, it must!

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Faraday Cage posted:

Syndicate seems likely considering they have other Bullfrog games up already. I hope.

Syndicate on GOG would be a great way to semi-promote the upcoming FPS.

So it's not going to be Syndicate.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
If http://www.gog.com/en/wanted/ is anything to go by, it'll be either System Shock (not likely) or The Secret of Monkey Island.

The latter would be stupidly lame considering the remake of it that's already out, but it would be a so very GoG thing to do.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I guessed right with Team 17 last week so this week I'm gonna go with Syndicate. Please please please make me be right two weeks in a row!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Somebody needs to invent the Persuadertron so we can convince EA to release the Syndicate games.
and stop being dickholes

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Arcsech posted:

If http://www.gog.com/en/wanted/ is anything to go by, it'll be either System Shock (not likely) or The Secret of Monkey Island.

The latter would be stupidly lame considering the remake of it that's already out, but it would be a so very GoG thing to do.

Hey man LucasArts joining Gog would be super un-lame. But this isn't getting the amount fanfare that sort of announcement would get. System Shock would be sweet too.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kikkoman posted:

I guessed right with Team 17 last week so this week I'm gonna go with Syndicate. Please please please make me be right two weeks in a row!

Why aren't you guessing System Shock 2? You're wasting your powers, you dick. :(

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Blood: If only my 10 year old self could see me now. I used to load that game up, choose easy mode, put god mode on, get all the weapons and then roll around blowing zombies up, only to get piss scared when the hands and the sharks and the fishmen all showed up and stop playing. I'd get stuck on different parts of the levels and would just level skip all over the place thinking I was being awesome.

Now I'm cruising around levels on medium difficulty, blasting cultists left and right, loving up the sharks with my sawn-off, fragging fishmen with dynamite and tearing those hands apart into meaty chunks. No cheats, no walkthrough to tell me where the secrets are, no fear of the unknown, it's all me, kid. Step aside and watch how the real pros work :smug:

It's amazing how fun that game will always be and it's kind of sobering to remember just how unfair it was too. They really, really want you to die in that game, with enemies being placed around blind corners so they could get cheap shots in, hyper accurate hitscan enemies being placed in groups who could kill you in less than two seconds, a bunch of nuisance enemies pouring out of every crevasse, and janky old-school puzzle platforming that never ages well. Still, it remains one of the most intensely satisfying shooters I've ever played, thanks in no small part to how much skill is involved in judging and tossing dynamite and all the cool weapons with their secondary firing modes.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
In most fps's I try to only save at the beginning of each level. Blood broke that habit quickly. My favorite fps after doom now. Plus I haven't tried the new custom level set so that's exciting. Too bad I need to wait, laptop crapped out. I hate this phone.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Can I play Torment in a window and does it matter if I have no sound?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

GreenNight posted:

Can I play Torment in a window and does it matter if I have no sound?

Windowed: yes; edit torment.ini and change Fullscreen to false. Pretty sure this works whether you have the widescreen patch or not.

Sound: sound isn't critical for playing the game, if that's what you're after - there's a few incidental lines but for the most part all the dialogue is unvoiced, and there are no sound puzzles or the like.

However, the music is fantastic and you are missing out by playing it muted.

quote:

Big news! One of our most requested classic games is coming to GOG.com - DRM-free classic PC games. Cheap. on the 19th. Hint: its name starts with S :)

GOG Wishlist posted:

17069 System Shock 2
12006 System Shock

:ohdear: oh god please

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

quote:

Big news! One of our most requested classic games is coming to GOG.com - DRM-free classic PC games. Cheap. on the 19th. Hint: its name starts with S :)

gently caress yeah! I can't wait to play me some Sega Rally Championship!

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I miss the version of Solitaire that came with my hand-me-down win3.1 computer, thanks GOG!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

ToxicFrog posted:

However, the music is fantastic and you are missing out by playing it muted.

Oh I agree, I just need something to pass the time when I'm sitting at work answering calls. Thanks for the info.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

GreenNight posted:

Oh I agree, I just need something to pass the time when I'm sitting at work answering calls. Thanks for the info.

Torment might not be your best option since the text basically requires your full attention. And there's a lot of it. A lot.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Torment might not be your best option since the text basically requires your full attention. And there's a lot of it. A lot.

I've beaten Darklands, Master of Magic (a ton), and Gothic 1 here. Some days I get zero calls in 8 hours, others I'm swamped all day. We're in a slow period.

I've beaten Torment in the past but it's been like a decade.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Drox posted:

I miss the version of Solitaire that came with my hand-me-down win3.1 computer, thanks GOG!
Don't be silly, its got to be Skifree.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Charlie Mopps posted:

Taking the long odds on StarSiege. I mean, we've got a bunch of other Dynamix games? Why not my favorite Mechwarrior knockoff? :smith:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Hoping, though in vain, for Sid & Al's Incredible Toons. :ohdear:

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Skate or Die is superior. :colbert: