Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Babe Pig in the City owns you nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Cabin Fever 2 is not a movie you should watch.
It is terrible and none of it makes any kind of sense.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Severance is a great comedy slasher from England.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Christoff posted:

Not a movie but saw my roomate watching Party Down and proceeded to sit down and watch 4 episodes. It's pretty hilarious. It's about a catering company in Hollywood or nearby and most the workers are aspiring actors and it's just hilarious. Especially if you worked any sort of job where customer service is a big factor.

Do yourself a favor and skip season 2 because it is awful.

Severance and Tucker and Dale were both great.

If you like somewhat generic Korean revenge movies, The Man from Nowhere is entertaining once it gets going.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
Nthing the Tucker and Dale love.

Looks like Lexx and Farscape are both up in their entirety. Time for me to look at them both ten years later and determine which was the objectively better show.

it's Lexx

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What are some sexy movies on there like Cherry?

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

cornface posted:

Do yourself a favor and skip season 2 because it is awful.
Ignore this, both seasons of Party Down are awesome and well worth watching.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Jeff Wiiver posted:

True, that other guy is the first and only person to hold that opinion. Either he's a genius and we've all been fooled, or he's wrong. You see?

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis
Spaced is awesome. I saw someone recommend it earlier and am totally loving it. Simon Pegg's physicality is just great.

VirginiaDare
Dec 28, 2009
REPO! The Genetic Opera is now up if any of you are into sci-fi musical type things. It's surprisingly good.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

VirginiaDare posted:

REPO! The Genetic Opera is now up if any of you are into sci-fi musical type things. It's surprisingly good.

I thought this was pretty bad and the lyrics for the music were really ham-fisted and groan worthy. But it is worth watching because some of the songs are catchy and Ogre is in it.

If you can make it through this, give it a whirl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFWn_MBokLM

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!
I just saw "Carlito's Way" with Al Pacino and it was fantastic. I managed to pick out Big Pussy from "The Sopranos" in an incredibly minor role as well as make an easy reference to a particular lawyer in a particular video game series. Ken Rosenberg, GTA Vice City

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Jeff Wiiver posted:

The second season isn't terrible, but it's nowhere near as good as the first season. The series also has a poo poo and completely unfulfilling ending.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

mr. mephistopheles posted:

The second season isn't terrible, but it's nowhere near as good as the first season. The series also has a poo poo and completely unfulfilling ending.
Can't really fault them for an unfulfilled end, they got cancelled before they could do a 3rd season.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.
I too really enjoyed Tucker and Dale so thanks for the recommendation!

Lately I've been binging through Doctor Who and Man vs Food which I find oddly addicting (also not a good idea to watch when one is hungry). I don't know how that guy does those food challenges.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Wait, when did Man vs Food come on!?

Love the show, but dammit I'm on a diet and all it does is make me want something delicious and meaty. :(

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Can't really fault them for an unfulfilled end, they got cancelled before they could do a 3rd season.

Good thing this is probably happening. Probably.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

The writing seems to get more serious in the 2nd season, there's more drama between the two leads (I forget their names, it was awhile ago) but some of it is just a set up for some jokes/the episode. Great show though.

Portlandia is my new favorite show. Thank you to whoever mentioned it.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

VirginiaDare posted:

This is probably one of the worst movies I've ever seen a competent film-maker with a decent budget make. They tried so hard to be the next Rocky Horror Picture Show but the actual musical numbers are terrible and almost none of the main cast can actually sing.

The second season had the episode where after two seasons of Roman bitching about how mainstream audiences are too stupid to accept hard sci-fi scripts you finally see them act one out and it's utter trash, it's one of my favorite scenes in the entire show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbkIwhNBtX4

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Farbtoner posted:

This is probably one of the worst movies I've ever seen a competent film-maker with a decent budget make. They tried so hard to be the next Rocky Horror Picture Show but the actual musical numbers are terrible and almost none of the main cast can actually sing.

They actually had a pretty lovely budget. Not to defend them, it is a pretty bad movie, but they most certainly didn't have a decent budget.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

casual poster posted:

The writing seems to get more serious in the 2nd season, there's more drama between the two leads (I forget their names, it was awhile ago) but some of it is just a set up for some jokes/the episode. Great show though.

The problem with it was that they followed the terrible trajectory of the American version of The Office, but compressed the last seven progressively worse seasons into one.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I was gonna watch Halloween, but it was the crappy remake instead of the original.

So instead, I watched Clue! It's got Tim Curry and is surprisingly good for being a movie based on a board game. You should watch it.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Nessa posted:

I was gonna watch Halloween, but it was the crappy remake instead of the original.

So instead, I watched Clue! It's got Tim Curry and is surprisingly good for being a movie based on a board game. You should watch it.
I remember Clue! Saw it when I was a kid with my family. Only remember it was a fun movie and my mum got upset about the line "If you'll excuse me I'm going home to make love to my wife". (We were quite religious).

InterwebzRN
Jan 29, 2009

Farbtoner posted:

The Rocky Horror Picture Show wannabe-ness is accurate and glaringly obvious which is why I liked it, it was so bad it was funny.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

InterwebzRN posted:

The Rocky Horror Picture Show wannabe-ness is accurate and glaringly obvious which is why I liked it, it was so bad it was funny.
Instead of watching Repo to see an attempt at ironic awfulness you all should try watching The Apple in it's place. It's kind of a Christian disco rock opera made after disco was popular and ummmm it's wonderful in an utterly lovely way. Especially the efforts at making it a valid Christian allegory mixed into a dystopian disco future.

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

The win of a lifetime, twice.
Just watched Tucker and Dale vs Evil thanks to this thread and it was great! I never would have found it otherwise.

Also they have a movie Heavy Metal in Baghdad which was definitely worth watching documentary about basically a garage band in Iraq trying to make it during the war. Just a very different take on a war documentary

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

jojoinnit posted:

I remember Clue! Saw it when I was a kid with my family. Only remember it was a fun movie and my mum got upset about the line "If you'll excuse me I'm going home to make love to my wife". (We were quite religious).

I would think that line would be a huge relief to a religious family, as the character (Mr. Green) was thought to be gay before he revealed that.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I would think that line would be a huge relief to a religious family, as the character (Mr. Green) was thought to be gay before he revealed that.
Well it implied that sex existed, which was an issue. I had no idea Green was gay. Totally missed that. Don't think I even knew what gay was until my mid-teens.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
On the advice of my brother I checked out The Troll Hunter and I really enjoyed it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

jojoinnit posted:

Well it implied that sex existed, which was an issue. I had no idea Green was gay. Totally missed that. Don't think I even knew what gay was until my mid-teens.

That was the reason he gave in the beginning for Mr. Boddy blackmailing him, that he was a homosexual. So it was a huge and hilarious reveal at the end when he mentioned his wife.

Batui
Mar 13, 2005

A bunch of really good British films are expiring in a few days. There's This Sporting Life, Carol Reed's Odd Man Out, David Lean's Brief Encounter, and Powell & Pressburger's 49th Parallel, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, and I Know Where I'm Going!. The P&P ones are especially amazing, they're respectively one of the best propaganda, war epic, and romance films of all time.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Any good show recommendations to watch? I like watching not super involved tv shows while I work and I'm running out of things like Intervention, Hoarders, Heavy, Toddlers & Tiaras, various food shows, The Wonder Years, How Things Work, etc. I don't like to watch anything that's too interesting or involved or I'll pay attention to that instead of getting work done.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Alterian posted:

Any good show recommendations to watch? I like watching not super involved tv shows while I work and I'm running out of things like Intervention, Hoarders, Heavy, Toddlers & Tiaras, various food shows, The Wonder Years, How Things Work, etc. I don't like to watch anything that's too interesting or involved or I'll pay attention to that instead of getting work done.

What about something like "Dirty Jobs" or "MythBusters"? "The Office" (either US or UK) for a sitcom that you can 'listen' to?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I like to have Top Gear in the background for things like this, just make sure not to pick an actually interesting episode.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

jojoinnit posted:

Clue is one of the best movies ever made.

Also, sorry about your terrible family.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Alterian posted:

Pawn Stars seems right up your alley.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Alterian posted:

The first season of Gold Rush: Alaska is entertaining in a brainless sort of way. You don't really have to pay that much attention because every episode is "some losers fail in some way at mining for gold."

The second season is an entirely different story, but it isn't on Netflix yet, so bullet dodged.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I'm probably late to the party, but Peep Show is absolutely loving hilarious. The first season is just ok, but it's one of my favorite shows after that.

Anything similar? I guess I should check out Spaced?

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis

FairGame posted:

I'm probably late to the party, but Peep Show is absolutely loving hilarious. The first season is just ok, but it's one of my favorite shows after that.

Anything similar? I guess I should check out Spaced?

Yes you should. The IT Crowd is also pretty great. I just started Black Books and am liking it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Yay Pudding! posted:

Yes you should. The IT Crowd is also pretty great. I just started Black Books and am liking it so far.

I also just started Black Books and am enjoying it! The lighter was hilarious. :v:

• Locked thread