Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
The white on black color scheme in Kindle for Android is pretty easy on the eyes in low light situations. I've read many a book with just my phone. (smoke breaks, taking a poo poo, etc.) The only downside I've had is when I read on the phone too long, I get horizontal zebra stripes in my field of vision for a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Veg posted:

Im about 150 pages into A Feast For Crows. Everyone says its boring but Im loving it. Its pretty much the same kind of political style as AGoT was, which I was hoping it would be after the actionfest of ASoS.

I just started it and the first chapter with Aeron Greyjoy owns so loving hard.

:black101:Sing to me in the language of leviathan, that I may know his name.:black101:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Yeah, I'm currently up to the first Victarion chapter and I'm still enjoying the book pretty greatly. I dunno, I really like reading all the worldbuilding that's going on. It's really cool to learn about Dornish and Ironborn laws and happenings. I also really enjoy Jamie's chapters, and am surprised that I like Cersei's as well. I like watching her plunge into drunken insanity. I also really like Brienne, and now that Podrick has joined her, they're better.

I'm sure I might get tired of it after a whole book, but, for now, I'm enjoying it. It's just different.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah, I'm currently up to the first Victarion chapter and I'm still enjoying the book pretty greatly. I dunno, I really like reading all the worldbuilding that's going on. It's really cool to learn about Dornish and Ironborn laws and happenings. I also really enjoy Jamie's chapters, and am surprised that I like Cersei's as well. I like watching her plunge into drunken insanity. I also really like Brienne, and now that Podrick has joined her, they're better.

I'm sure I might get tired of it after a whole book, but, for now, I'm enjoying it. It's just different.

Well you just described a very huge chunk of what most people hate about AFFC so I think you'll enjoy it just fine. I was the same way.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

ruddiger posted:

I just started it and the first chapter with Aeron Greyjoy owns so loving hard.

:black101:Sing to me in the language of leviathan, that I may know his name.:black101:

All the Greyjoys are fabulous tbh. They might be my favorite family in the series now that I think about it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Joramun posted:

All the Greyjoys are fabulous tbh. They might be my favorite family in the series now that I think about it.

Absolutely. A little farther into Dance With Dragons, I can't believe what they did to Theon Reek, the whole scene where he's parlaying with the Ironborn who were left behind in those three towers was so loving rock and roll. Dagon Codd owned until he got that axe in the face.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is this a good series to check out if I've never read anything in the fantasy genre before?

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

actionjackson posted:

Is this a good series to check out if I've never read anything in the fantasy genre before?

I would say so. It is heavy on War and Houses and not as Heavy on crazy Species/Animals and Magic.

I think it is easier to get into than Lord of the Rings (Although I prefer that story/world)

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets

actionjackson posted:

absolutely. I didn't read ANY fiction prior to discovering this series through the HBO show. Goons here are always discussing "world-building" and while I can't compare it to other series, I'd say GRRM does a good job of balancing the extensive details of the world its set in with plenty of action, sex and pithy dialogue.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Alright. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't too much crazy old English talk or whatever. I've heard these are relatively easy to read, more so than the Tolkien books. Are the books so long because they give the perspectives of so many characters? How much is "finished" within one book and how much transfers over to the next?

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

actionjackson posted:

Alright. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't too much crazy old English talk or whatever. I've heard these are relatively easy to read, more so than the Tolkien books. Are the books so long because they give the perspectives of so many characters? How much is "finished" within one book and how much transfers over to the next?

He does use a bit of ye ole english. I am new to fantasy too though so you pick it up quick enough. 'Portcullis' was the hardest bit.

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

Veg posted:

He does use a bit of ye ole english. I am new to fantasy too though so you pick it up quick enough. 'Portcullis' was the hardest bit.

Portcullis is a contemporary word for the wooden grille gate of a castle.
It's not his fault that Americans don't know obscure english words :colbert:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Veg posted:

Just because you don't know what something is doesn't make it "ye ole english." 'Portcullis' isn't even ye ole english. I'm guessing you were confused by 'turret' as well. They're all contemporary terms to describe parts of a castle. It's not like GRRM uses hosed up sentence structures or throws out Shakespearean prose.

edit: Also know your geography as well, because he uses terms to describe land formations that you might never have learned or have forgotten since grade school.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

The fantasy novel is a very useful device for learning the anatomy of a castle.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Mr Crustacean posted:

Portcullis is a contemporary word for the wooden grille gate of a castle.
Also the thing Locke gets his legs impaled by down the hatch in Lost

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

He does use a bit of old English though, or otherwise very obscure words. Most of them you can figure out in context, but there's still some uncommon words in there. Which is why I love my Kindle. All I have to do is hold my finger down on a word, and bam. Definition.

Examples from the last few chapters of AFFC which I've been reading:
Capon
Can't remember anything specific, but there's a few ship terms used in the Greyjoy chapters that I literally had no idea what they could even begin to mean.
Geld; I had never heard this term before, usually just castrate.

etc.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

GonSmithe posted:

He does use a bit of old English though, or otherwise very obscure words. Most of them you can figure out in context, but there's still some uncommon words in there. Which is why I love my Kindle. All I have to do is hold my finger down on a word, and bam. Definition.

Examples from the last few chapters of AFFC which I've been reading:
Capon
Can't remember anything specific, but there's a few ship terms used in the Greyjoy chapters that I literally had no idea what they could even begin to mean.
Geld; I had never heard this term before, usually just castrate.

etc.

Maybe because I've played so many fantasy RPGs, but I really don't see any 'obscure' words from GRRM, barring nuncle, of course

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I still don't know what the gently caress a capon is.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Capsaicin posted:

I still don't know what the gently caress a capon is.

I'll admit that I didn't know the specifics, but I did know it was poultry. Google tells me it's a gelded rooster, though.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I'll have my capon in the parapet thank you

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
I'm surprised capon threw people because its still used today. But I'm a fatty who loves food. Is nuncle a real word? I thought that was one of GRRM's made up words that look like real words(ser, maester). The one word that got me was eyrie. I have never used or even seen that word before reading these books. I assumed it was totally fiction til someone in one of these threads said something about it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

I'm surprised capon threw people because its still used today. But I'm a fatty who loves food. Is nuncle a real word? I thought that was one of GRRM's made up words that look like real words(ser, maester). The one word that got me was eyrie. I have never used or even seen that word before reading these books. I assumed it was totally fiction til someone in one of these threads said something about it.

nuncle (ˈnʌŋk ə l) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]

— n
an archaic or dialect word for uncle

[C16: from division of mine uncle as my nuncle ]

Yeah, I didn't think it was one either until I looked it up on my kindle.

Also, just found two more as I was reading: gait and suet.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

gait
I'm sorry but you people just have no drat vocabulary.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I really do have a good vocabulary (especially a fantasy one because of Magic: the Gathering), but honestly, I have never, ever heard gait ever used in a sentence before reading it. I just can't see it ever being brought up. If I was talking about how someone walks I would just say "the way he walks." I mean, yes, maybe now that I know it I'll throw it in sentences to sound smart, but seriously, there is no way that gait can be considered a common word/phrase.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

GonSmithe posted:

I really do have a good vocabulary (especially a fantasy one because of Magic: the Gathering), but honestly, I have never, ever heard gait ever used in a sentence before reading it. I just can't see it ever being brought up. If I was talking about how someone walks I would just say "the way he walks." I mean, yes, maybe now that I know it I'll throw it in sentences to sound smart, but seriously, there is no way that gait can be considered a common word/phrase.

Gait is commonly used to describe the way animals move in documentaries and such. It isn't very commonly used for people, but it's not rare or anything.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Whenever a horse walks in any book the sentence always seems to include gait.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

My pardons but not all of us studied at Oldtown, my lord.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

GonSmithe posted:

It's a common phrase among people who have animals like horses or the like. I've went with my aunt to some Horse shows she took part in and it was used quite often.

You'll also hear it a lot in animal documentaries. Just because you haven't heard it doesn't mean it's a not a common word. Your hobbies/work/area will shape what words are common for you :eng101:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah reading this thread and the subreddit on these books makes me think that ASOIAF must be everyone's first fantasy series or something, jesus.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Veg posted:

My pardons but not all of us studied at Oldtown, my lord.

Do more bookreadins

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

I'm surprised capon threw people because its still used today. But I'm a fatty who loves food.
I'm a svelte vegan and I had no idea what it was

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Veg posted:

My pardons but not all of us studied at Oldtown, m'lord.

Fixed.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Fixed.

When in my presence you will use "My Lord" if you know what's good for you!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
Seriously people maybe y'all should just be reading Harry Potter

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

smarion2 posted:

Seriously people maybe y'all should just be reading Harry Potter

quote:

This term gait was used by J. K. Rowling in the Novel Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows . That example is given below:
- Her stoop, her stoutness, her shuffling gait all gave an impression of extreme age.

Heh.

e: how would castrating a cock improve its flavor?

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 19, 2012

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
After reading all the books I've decided that I really hate the word "jape".

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I just really hate nuncle, really really hate it. Like it almost makes me want to put the book down when it shows up.

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

Why is that? It's just a word... How can a word invoke such hatred in you?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Because it's just really really annoying, nuncle adds nothing more than uncle would, only to make things more confusing. GRRM pulls it out of nowhere, uses it for random characters (sometimes Jaime uses, sometimes not), and then starts overusing it. I just feel like he's trying way too hard to write "ye olde" words that don't really belong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
I agree with nuncle. It just does not sound right. The weird thing is, he uses these words or phrases over and over in one book, then its gone.

• Locked thread